Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,551 members, 7,801,554 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? (15796 Views)

A Thread For Good Movies That Are Not Popular. / ***~~~Good Movies With Stupid/terrible Endings~~~*** / Good Movies You've Seen So Far In 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by sholay2011(m): 6:44pm On Jan 01, 2013
Over the years, there has been clamour for Nollywood to improve on her film production quality. But my worry is that a quick survey would tell you what many Nigerians think as a definition of a 'good' movie- a movie with clearly unbelievable special effects where bullets fly around amidst oppositions not minding if the plot is weak, character development is zero and directing and acting is at subpar.

That's why I was surprised when a friend of mine said 'Figurine' was trash. I was like seriously? He said he would rather sit down with 'Opa kan'.

I would advocate that Nollywood filmmakers should keep producing world-class movies which can compete at the oscars, though discussing social issues and showcasing our rich african culture but not coming down to satisfy the needs of some that can't differentiate acting from mimicry.

We have a similar case in the music industry where people would prefer to listen to Terry G than Asa! Or maybe I'm too particular about the whole concept of 'world-class'...maybe we enjoy the way we are.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by semid4lyfe(m): 7:25pm On Jan 01, 2013
sholay2011: a movie with clearly unbelievable special effects where bullets fly around amidst oppositions not minding if the plot is weak, character development is zero and directing and acting is at subpar.

That's why I was surprised when a friend of mine said 'Figurine' was trash. I was like seriously? He said he would rather sit down with 'Opa kan'.

Or maybe I'm too particular about the whole concept of 'world-class'...maybe we enjoy the way we are.

@ the bolded, is this your friend on Nairaland and does he go by the name afam4eva? grin

4 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Afam4eva(m): 7:51pm On Jan 01, 2013
semid4lyfe:

@ the bolded, is this your friend on Nairaland and does he go by the name afam4eva? grin
One man's food is another man's poison. A lot of people that have watched Figurine seem to like it but not me. It's too boring abeg. It just reminds me of those educative but not entertaining movies of Tunde kelani.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Afam4eva(m): 7:54pm On Jan 01, 2013
sholay2011: Over the years, there has been clamour for Nollywood to improve on her film production quality. But my worry is that a quick survey would tell you what many Nigerians think as a definition of a 'good' movie- a movie with clearly unbelievable special effects where bullets fly around amidst oppositions not minding if the plot is weak, character development is zero and directing and acting is at subpar.

I would advocate that Nollywood filmmakers should keep producing world-class movies which can compete at the oscars, though discussing social issues and showcasing our rich african culture but not coming down to satisfy the needs of some that can't differentiate acting from mimicry.

We have a similar case in the music industry where people would prefer to listen to Terry G than Asa! Or maybe I'm too particular about the whole concept of 'world-class'...maybe we enjoy the way we are.
In Nigeria, most people look out for entertaining movies and not necessarily educative movies. That's why millions of people still watch movies that are being produced by Alaba traders. For a long time to come, majority of people will still prefer this movies to the Ije and the Figurines of this world. It's only a small percentage of Nigerians who are elites will love a figurine or prefer Asa to Terry G.

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by sholay2011(m): 8:13pm On Jan 01, 2013
Afam4eva! It's obvious from ur name dat u wud surely love dose 'Alaba and Iweka road, Onitsha' movies. God help you. grin

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Afam4eva(m): 8:18pm On Jan 01, 2013
sholay2011: Afam4eva! It's obvious from ur name dat u wud surely love dose 'Alaba and Iweka road, Onitsha' movies. God help you. grin
I really don't watch much of Nigerian movies and it has nothing to do with my preference but with those of the average Nigerian. The average Yoruba person will everly prefer a low budget Yoruba movie to a high budget Nollywood English movie. That's just how it is.

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 9:49pm On Jan 01, 2013
I saw the Figurine and absolutely hated it. Why? It was a brilliant film for the first two-thirds of it and then all of a sudden it badly fell off a cliff into some silly gibberish.
Thankfully, Mr Afolayan has so grown since then and his new film 'Phone Swap' is probably one of the best Nollywood films ever in terms of storytelling, production values and cross-over audience (I saw it at the British Film Institute and over half of the audience was caucasian and were laughing just as hard as we were). It is an amazing, amazing, must see, must own film!

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by sholay2011(m): 11:11pm On Jan 01, 2013
VillageBoi:
I saw the Figurine and absolutely hated it. Why? It was a brilliant film for the first two-thirds of it and then all of a sudden it badly fell off a cliff into some silly gibberish.
Thankfully, Mr Afolayan has so grown since then and his new film 'Phone Swap' is probably one of the best Nollywood films ever in terms of storytelling, production values and cross-over audience (I saw it at the British Film Institute and over half of the audience was caucasian and were laughing just as hard as we were). It is an amazing, amazing, must see, must own film!

Well, to each his own but I absolutely loved Figurine especially the end! I would have to see Phone Swap then but remember it was Figurine that won him AMAA best picture, Phone Swap didn't.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 01, 2013
I did not enjoy figurine as well. The storyline was boring.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by CoolKizzy(m): 11:18pm On Jan 01, 2013
booked
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by sholay2011(m): 11:19pm On Jan 01, 2013
OMG! My thread got to the FP! This is a new year gift for me! I am very grateful for this, mods. I also thank my parents who have been in support of my nairaland endeavours, through thick and thin; God bless.

My friends who have always encouraged to keep creating topics- both meaningful and the less meaningful ones that with the hope of one getting to front page one day.

Finally, I thank my darling who whispered to me that 2013 is my year of excellence. It's nice that the excellence starts from here.

20 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by kelmich(m): 11:22pm On Jan 01, 2013
saxywale: I did not enjoy figurine as well. The storyline was boring.
I slept while watching the movie. Congrats OP, Happy New Year

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by semid4lyfe(m): 11:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
This "The Figurine" argument again. Sighing in exasperation here. . .

https://www.nairaland.com/628119/what-last-movie-watched-part/41

semid4lyfe:

THE FIGURINE - MY REVIEW

Not your typical Nollywood movie and this was obvious from the first few scenes. . . i.e The bringing forth of the goddess to Earth by the Priest, the 7 years of prosperity & 7 years of misery, death of the priest and the subsequent burning of the shrine and the downpour of rain which was all done in a colour to reflect a period in the distant past was very impressive.

Script & Directing: The script is the written form and template from which a movie is made and a good script does so much for a movie. The story is very believable and the dialogue & interaction between characters was very well scripted & potrayed on screen. . .although there was some ''forced'' dialogue in one or two scenes to promote/advertise the movie sponsors. eg the Miccom Golf Resort, Osun State & Lagos Park scenes.

Despite the movie being a slow paced ''talk'' drama, it stayed interesting through-out, was evenly paced, never dragged or had a lull. Also, the transition between scenes was seamlessly done and all this is due to the excellent job done by the Director.

Cast & Acting: Everyone cast in this movie was perfect for his/her role and performed very well except Funlola Aofiyebi-Rahman who played Linda and was guilty of ''overacting''. She overdid the whole ''single'', ''upwardly mobile'', ''rich'' and ''successful'' young lady trying to hook a man and settle down thing IMO. Her gesticulations, rolling of eyes, flailing of hands etc was exaggerated, annoying and irritating to watch. Someone needs to sit that lady down and tell her to stop overacting cos she does exactly the same thing in the MNET tv soap, Tinsel.

Femi (Ramsey Noah) & Mona had maad chemistry and I really felt their vibes. However, I was most charmed by the man who played the role of Mona & Femi's lecturer. . .his performance was outstanding and he stole the show in the few scenes he appeared.

Cinematography, Costuming, Set Location & Design: Figurine also does well in these areas. The village life scenes at the beginning of the movie, the NYSC orientation camp (the best depiction of it I've seen in any Nollywood movie) and all the other scenes were vey well done. The costuming of characters and design/decor of locations/sets used in the movie was very good too. Take for example the Lecturer's office and it's interior decor which was very artistic, afrocentric and stunningly beautiful. . .with all the posters of african art forms, deities, plaques, sculptures etc. . . .and the parrot which squeaked when Shola touched it's cage grin

Score and Soundtrack: The background sounds that accompanied the different scenes and the soundtrack (the araromire song. . .and thankfully it wasn't a rehash of the story) of the movie were low key and not loud like in most Nollywood productions. Also the background sounds kept fading in & out and was in sync with whatever was happening at any given time in the movie. All in all, the musical score and soundtrack provided very good transitions between the scenes and perfectly portrayed the emotional viewpoint for the scenes and the film as a whole.

Language, Translation and Subtitling: I absolutely love the language used in the movie. . . .the combination of English, Pidgin and Yoruba spoken was perfect for a story set in 21st century Lagos and it wasn't misused at all in relation to the characters. As in, characters who were supposed to speak English to each other spoke English and those who were supposed to speak Pidgin or Yoruba spoke exactly that. For example, it would have being foolish for Shola to have conversed with his Lecturer in Pidgin or Yoruba.

The translation and English subtitling was okay too as there was no "tabons" but I felt it could have been better and more specific as there were times the subtitled English translation conveyed the general meaning of what was spoken and not the exact meaning. Also there were a few parts in which Yoruba was spoken and there was no subtitled translation shown on screen.

The Climax & Ending: This is what I like most about Figurine. When the truth unravels it'll shock you. Also, it's doesn't conclude it's self and has what I'll call an "Open Ending". . . as in, it leaves you to draw your own conclusion and make up your own mind on what to believe. It's the kinda movie you see at the Cinema, turn to your friend at the end to ask what happened and discuss with during the long drive home. . . and many days after.

Overall, it's a very good movie and I'll score it a 7/10

Too many "pushan-pushan" Nairalanders here jare. Make I dey move on jare. . . . .

4 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Csami(m): 11:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
Different strokes for different folks.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by KINGwax(m): 11:27pm On Jan 01, 2013
sholay2011: OMG! My thread got to the FP! This is a new year gift for me! I am very grateful for this, mods. I also thank my parents who have been in support of my nairaland endeavours, through thick and thin; God bless.

My friends who have always encouraged to keep creating topics- both meaningful and the less meaningful ones that with the hope of one getting to front page one day.

Finally, I thank my darling who whispered to me that 2013 is my year of excellence. It's nice that the excellence starts from here.
the psycho ward is over there sir
-------------->
--------------------->
-------------------------->
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by k2kay(m): 11:33pm On Jan 01, 2013
a lot of topics on nairaland these days are appalling undecided

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Afam4eva(m): 11:34pm On Jan 01, 2013
sholay2011: OMG! My thread got to the FP! This is a new year gift for me! I am very grateful for this, mods. I also thank my parents who have been in support of my nairaland endeavours, through thick and thin; God bless.

lol grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Originalsly: 11:35pm On Jan 01, 2013
@OP.....high budget doesn't necessarily mean a better movie. Most movies now made costs a lot more than they did like 10 years ago but although the visuals and sound are so much better.... the script, directing and acting is so much worse. The few movies that are most likely to worth watching are those made for the big screen. Compared to Hollywood they are hmmm....well you shouldn't even go there because Nollywood budget is nowhere near to compete in production quality. I do still watch Nollywood movies but only on recommendaion. I will try to watch all that are made fir the cinemas....they need our financial support....and our praise/criticism to improve.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by SisiKill1: 11:41pm On Jan 01, 2013
Dude what kind of question is this?

What next. ..asking someone who has never eaten anything but trash from the bin if he knows what good food tastes like? Of course he's not going to know and when he does taste good food, it's only natural for him to reject it...not because it's not good but because his garbage food battered palate is not familiar with luxury.

How can Nollywood lovers enjoy a cerebral movie when they are used shoutfests where every single thing is spelled out.

How do you expect them to immediately get that a guy reaching for a door knob plans to open the door if he hasn't given them a blow by blow of what he is doing while he is doing it. ..

I will now touch this door knob, twist it to one side and open the door. ..this door oh, the one I am touching not the one on the other side of the room oh.

You are talking about a movie like FIGURINE to a group of people who almost wet themselves in excitement over Jennifer and her many returns?

Really

Sometimes there are just some questions that needn't be asked because it makes people question the asker's intelligence. ..No offense.

9 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jan 01, 2013
A good movie for me must be built on 4 solid pillars in which picture quality is one of them.

It's common to use boring and sometimes unpleasant sound effect in Nollywood movies.

Directing also matters but that is relative depending on the quality of actors and roles they were casted for.

The post production and editing will fetch them a Zero rating from me. Nollywood is simply not up to date on movie editing and post production softwares.

Finally, i think they should take a cue and learn from Music video producers like Clarence Peters, Jude Okoye, Mr Month Musa, Sesan e.t.c. Maybe they might just be able to come up with a world class movie production.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Francheezy(m): 11:41pm On Jan 01, 2013

R u a learner ?
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by slimyem: 11:50pm On Jan 01, 2013
I agree with the op.
Nigerians want to be entertained more than they want to be educated.
If Patience Ozokwor isn't acting the wicked step-mother,Jim Iyke isn't acting American returnee and Rita Dominic isn't acting a miserable wife, or Mr.Ibu acting the village fool,then they are not watching.
Nigerians have gotten used to the usual and comfortable with so much trash.
Figurine might not have been a wow movie but its certainly beats thousands of the "marketed and distributed at Alaba Intl. and 51,Iweka rd, Onitsha" movies.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by SisiKill1: 11:51pm On Jan 01, 2013

LMFAO! You forgot to thank the Lord Jesus. cheesy cheesy

By the way, people's reaction to this post is all the answer you need for why some Nigerians are better off sticking to Nollywood movies. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 11:52pm On Jan 01, 2013
sholay2011:

Well, to each his own but I absolutely loved Figurine especially the end! I would have to see Phone Swap then but remember it was Figurine that won him AMAA best picture, Phone Swap didn't.

Good cinematography does not a good 'story' make. Phone Swap is very recent and I'm sure it will also win a lot of awards.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by sholay2011(m): 11:54pm On Jan 01, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Dude what kind of question is this?

What next. ..asking someone who has never eaten anything but trash from the bin if he knows what good food tastes like. Of course he's not going to know and when he does taste good food, it's only natural for him to reject it...not because it's not good but because his garbage food battered palate is not familiar with luxury.

How can Nollywood lovers enjoy a cerebral movie when they are used shoutfests where every single thing is spelled out.

How do you expect them to immediately get that a guy reaching for a door knob plans to open the door if he hasn't given them a blow by blow of what he is doing while he is doing it. ..

I will now touch this door knob, twist it to one side and open the door. ..this door oh, the one I am touching not the one on the other side of the room oh.

You are talking about a movie like FIGURINE to a group of people who almost peed on themselves in excitement over Jennifer and her many returns?

Really

Sometimes there arejust some questions that needn't be asked because it makes peoplequestion the asker's intelligence. ..No offense.

I was aware of the points you noted before I opened the thread. You don't have to be insulting to drive home your points.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by sholay2011(m): 11:57pm On Jan 01, 2013
Francheezy:
R u a learner ?

Even if I was, any problem with that sir? Come on, lyf is too short to be too serious.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 02, 2013
Good evening,

I am of the opinion that Nollywood lost it's way after the year 2000. Sub-standard films are the order of the day except for very few films like "Magun" that are exceptions to the rule.

Thank you!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Ikengawo: 12:00am On Jan 02, 2013
sholay2011: Over the years, there has been clamour for Nollywood to improve on her film production quality. But my worry is that a quick survey would tell you what many Nigerians think as a definition of a 'good' movie- a movie with clearly unbelievable special effects where bullets fly around amidst oppositions not minding if the plot is weak, character development is zero and directing and acting is at subpar.

it's not an nigerian thing, it's a global thing. Im here in the US and people would rather listen to music that talks about selling drugs and shakingass than music that means anything or takes talent to make

same with movies. People would rather watch nonsense than anything that makes sense and someone took time to make. Even in the US a lot of the movies with special effects are a waste of time, luckily many directors can combine special effects with good stories and talented actors and actresses, but a lot of complete nonsense has made people millions of dollars. Kim Kardashian is a millionaire and all she did was knack her boyfriend on video.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by SisiKill1: 12:01am On Jan 02, 2013
sholay2011:

I was aware of the points you noted before I opened the thread. You don't have to be insulting to drive home your points.

Sigh!

I had such high hopes.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Techwriter: 12:01am On Jan 02, 2013
I just finished watching "the figurine"bfor the first time b4 I stumbled over this thread. I don't know whether its a coincidence or the Araromire at work. Well the movie was interesting from the beginning but at the end I felt I wasted my productive time. Yes! I like movies that makes u keep thinking even after its ended but definitely not Figurine. OP your sence of humour is far more creative than the movie

Finally, I thank my darling who whispered to me that 2013 is my year of excellence. It's nice that the excellence starts from here

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by Nobody: 12:03am On Jan 02, 2013
slimyem: I agree with the op.
Nigerians want to be entertained more than they want to be educated.
If Patience Ozokwor isn't acting the wicked step-mother,Jim Iyke isn't acting American returnee and Rita Dominic isn't acting a miserable wife, or Mr.Ibu acting the village fool,then they are not watching.
Nigerians have gotten used to the usual and comfortable with so much trash.
Figurine might not have been a wow movie but its certainly beats thousands of the "marketed and distributed at Alaba Intl. and 51,Iweka rd, Onitsha" movies.
To be honest, Nollywood movies never caught my attention for once although sometime I get to see those people you mentioned but I hardly sit through the movie the moment I start getting bored of their silly acts.

I just take a walk each time my siblings tune in to Africa magic and the worst thing is my 8 year old Niece already caught the bug. Then I asked her the last time I was visiting on why she's always fond of tuning in to Africa Magic Yoruba out of all the interesting channels DSTV has to offer and she claims she wants to learn the language.
Smh cuz now she's addicted to those horrible plays because I can't even call them movies.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? by safarigirl(f): 12:08am On Jan 02, 2013
*peeks into the thread, reads comments* Is Nollywood trash? *one man's 50 Naira, is another man's 5k* *runs out immediately*

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Court Lifts Injunction On “okafor’s Law” Movie, To Show In Cinemas Tomorrow / Startimes Risks Winding-Up Court Order Over $11m Football Rights Debt / Your Favourite And Most Hated TV Adverts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.