Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,183 members, 7,807,596 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? (8558 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Jimi Agbaje Is Lagos PDP Governorship Candidate / Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 02, 2013
What has the Lagos State govt been doing with its share of funds saved from partial removal of fuel subsidy? This is an important question that should bother every right thinking Nigerian/Lagosian.

Though subsidy removal was fiercely opposed by ACN governors and legislators, the federal govt succeeded in partial removal of fuel subsidy, courtesy of which ALL tiers of govt earned EXTRA funds. The FG has since deployed its share to intervene in several critical infrastructure nationwide through a programme it calls SURE-P. However, no one knows what other tiers of govt are doing with their share of the funds.

I singled out Lagos state because it is the nations commercial capital and is expected to set the pace for other states. The question therefore is what has the Lagos state govt been doing with its share of the funds? It is estimated that the Lagos state govt has been getting EXTRA N300million or more every month since fuel subsidy was removed partially in Jan 2011.

Personally, I had expected the Lagos state govt to deploy this UNEXPECTED EXTRA funds to complement funding and bring to quick completion critical projects in the state such as the Lagos metro rail line. What about using it to commence the construction of 4th mainland bridge? What about using part of the funds to bring back to life the EPILEPTIC and "o ti ba je" state owned media organisation (LTV)?

I ask again, what is the Lagos state doing with the unexpected EXTRA funds it receives courtesy of partial removal of fuel subsidy? Or is the funds being diverted to Tinu...'s pocket?
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by carslease: 4:48pm On Jan 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: What has the Lagos State govt been doing with its own share of funds saved from partial removal of fuel subsidy? This is an important question that should bother every right thinking Nigerian/Lagosian. Though subsidy removal was fiercely opposed by ACN governors and legislators, the federal govt succeeded in partial removal of fuel subsidy, courtesy of which ALL tiers of govt earned EXTRA funds. The FG has since deployed its share to intervene in several critical infrastructure nationwide through a programme it calls SURE-P. However, no one knows what other tiers of govt are doing with their share of the funds.
I singled out Lagos state because it is nations commercial capital and is expected to set the pace for other states. The question therefore is what has the Lagos state govt been doing with its share of the funds? It is estimated that the Lagos state govt has been getting EXTRA N300million or more every month since fuel subsidy was removed partially in Jan 2011.
Personally, I had expected the Lagos state govt to deploy this UNEXPECTED EXTRA funds to complement funding and bring to quick completion critical projects in the state such as the Lagos metro rail line. What about using it to commence the construction of 4th mainland bridge? What about using part of the funds to bring back to life the EPILEPTIC and "o ti ba je" state owned media organisation (LTV)? I ask again, what is the Lagos state doing with the unexpected EXTRA funds it receives courtesy of partial removal of fuel subsidy? Or is the funds being diverted to Tinu...'s pocket?

Oya EKO ILE come answer o!
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Bacteriocin(m): 4:53pm On Jan 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: What has the Lagos State govt been doing with its own share of funds saved from partial removal of fuel subsidy? This is an important question that should bother every right thinking Nigerian/Lagosian. Though subsidy removal was fiercely opposed by ACN governors and legislators, the federal govt succeeded in partial removal of fuel subsidy, courtesy of which ALL tiers of govt earned EXTRA funds. The FG has since deployed its share to intervene in several critical infrastructure nationwide through a programme it calls SURE-P. However, no one knows what other tiers of govt are doing with their share of the funds.
I singled out Lagos state because it is nations commercial capital and is expected to set the pace for other states. The question therefore is what has the Lagos state govt been doing with its share of the funds? It is estimated that the Lagos state govt has been getting EXTRA N300million or more every month since fuel subsidy was removed partially in Jan 2011.
Personally, I had expected the Lagos state govt to deploy this UNEXPECTED EXTRA funds to complement funding and bring to quick completion critical projects in the state such as the Lagos metro rail line. What about using it to commence the construction of 4th mainland bridge? What about using part of the funds to bring back to life the EPILEPTIC and "o ti ba je" state owned media organisation (LTV)? I ask again, what is the Lagos state doing with the unexpected EXTRA funds it receives courtesy of partial removal of fuel subsidy? Or is the funds being diverted to Tinu...'s pocket?
Why lagos state alone when we have 36 states ?

1 Like

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Geomac: 4:56pm On Jan 02, 2013
OP, it is not completely true that ACN Governors opposed partial subsidy removal.
I also want to know what all the Governors including FCT Minister have done with the funds disbursed to them in 2012.
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 02, 2013
Geomac: OP, it is not completely true that ACN Governors opposed partial subsidy removal.
I also want to know what all the Governors including FCT Minister have done with the funds disbursed to them in 2012.
Good. But this thread is specifically for Lagos state.
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jan 02, 2013
Bacteriocin:
Because it is the commercial capital and is expected to set the pace.
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Bacteriocin(m): 5:11pm On Jan 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Because it is the commercial capital and is expected to set the pace.
So they should separately announce what they are using the money for?
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by PaulJohn1: 5:25pm On Jan 02, 2013
Double post
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by PaulJohn1: 5:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
What a ridiculous question.
Which is more vital Lagos or the FG?

Why not first ask the FG what substantial the subsidy whatever has been spent on for the betterment of Nigerians.
Wasn't it of recent a proposal was made to borrow another huge amount without nothing tangible to show for it

Obsession with Lagos is making some fellas look ins.ane permit me.

1 Like

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by DuduNegro: 5:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
*SPACE RESERVED *
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by ba7man(m): 5:34pm On Jan 02, 2013
@OP. Don't you think asking the Federal Government questions on what happens to the monies generated in this country and borrowed will be a better place to start your search, rather than asking what Lagos state does with 300million Naira. That's almost Jonathan's Monthly feeding allowance in question there.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by GARRIx7(m): 5:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
Bacteriocin:

Haven't you noticed the fixation of many vile-hearted folks on Fashola? The reason is simple, they want to rubbish his image, make him look bad ALL IN READINESS FOR 2015. If Fashola contests in 2015, the drunkard in Aso rock will be in serious soup as Fash is one of the most viable options of the opposition parties for the presidential ticket.

The OP's governor has been away treating SYPHILIS in "God-knows-where", yet all he can think about ‎​is Fash and 2015. What a buns!!!

Silly9gerian where is the 370,000 jobs promised by ur Aso rock drunkard in 2012??

13 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by babapupa: 5:42pm On Jan 02, 2013
carslease:

Oya EKO ILE come answer o!

Must eko ile attend to every internet and NL rif rafs especially laptop crews and their re.tarded posts.

1 Like

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Geomac: 6:06pm On Jan 02, 2013
babapupa:

Must eko ile attend to every internet and NL rif rafs especially laptop crews and their re.tarded posts.

You have given sincerenigerian an upper cut and his dental formula has been altered.

7 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by koruji(m): 6:06pm On Jan 02, 2013
The real question is what useful thing are you going to do with YOUR brain in 2013?
This venture in which are engaged is rusting your oblongata.
If you are not careful it will drive you in sane.
I certainly don't want to read the following this new year:
"Non-Sincere 9gerian jumps into the Atlantic Ocean after climbing the walls of Eko Atlantic because Fashola's mega-achievements overloaded his tiny brain"
Find a job - may be Fashola can get you one driving sand truck on the Eko Atlantic site cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Sincere 9gerian: What has the Lagos State govt been doing with its share of funds saved from partial removal of fuel subsidy? This is an important question that should bother every right thinking Nigerian/Lagosian. Though subsidy removal was fiercely opposed by ACN governors and legislators, the federal govt succeeded in partial removal of fuel subsidy, courtesy of which ALL tiers of govt earned EXTRA funds. The FG has since deployed its share to intervene in several critical infrastructure nationwide through a programme it calls SURE-P. However, no one knows what other tiers of govt are doing with their share of the funds.
I singled out Lagos state because it is the nations commercial capital and is expected to set the pace for other states. The question therefore is what has the Lagos state govt been doing with its share of the funds? It is estimated that the Lagos state govt has been getting EXTRA N300million or more every month since fuel subsidy was removed partially in Jan 2011.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 02, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Haven't you noticed the fixation of many vile-hearted folks on Fashola? The reason is simple, they want to rubbish his image, make him look bad ALL IN READINESS FOR 2015. If Fashola contests in 2015, the drunkard in Aso rock will be in serious soup as Fash is one of the most viable options of the opposition parties for the presidential ticket.

The OP's governor has been away treating SYPHILIS in "God-knows-where", yet all he can think about ​is Fash and 2015. What a buns!!!

Silly9gerian where is the 370,000 jobs promised by ur Aso rock drunkard in 2012??
Why not provide us with answers rather than try to divert attention?
For your information, nobody is losing sleep over an imaginary presidential ambition of Fashola in 2015. Fashola stands NO CHANCE in 2015 presidential elections. The battle for 2015 will be between GEJ vs hausa-fulani muslims. Simple!
Besides, Fashola has NO FUTURE in ACN as long as Tinubu is alive.
So lets deal with the issues raised on this thread

9 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by GARRIx7(m): 6:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Why not provide us with answers rather than try to divert attention?
For your information, nobody is losing sleep over an imaginary presidential ambition of Fashola in 2015. Fashola stands NO CHANCE in 2015 presidential elections. The battle for 2015 will be between GEJ vs hausa-fulani muslims. Simple!
Besides, Fashola has NO FUTURE in ACN as long as Tinubu is alive.
So lets deal with the issues raised on this thread

The fear of Fashola is the beginning of wisdom!!
#2015things#

9 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Omen100(m): 7:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
Unsincere nigerian, u have to be very very careful with the ways u go about displaying ur sentiments or it will drive u mad in no time soon, u have being warned. wink
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by jmaine: 7:35pm On Jan 02, 2013
Anyone who feels Fashola is a force to reckon with in 2015 politicking is naive . . . . .

3 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by koruji(m): 9:02pm On Jan 02, 2013
And could you provide us reasons for that?
Or we should just believe in you?

jmaine: Anyone who feels Fashola is a force to reckon with in 2015 politicking is naive . . . . .
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by seanet01: 9:17pm On Jan 02, 2013
koruji: And could you provide us reasons for that?

Jamiu rarely use his brain.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by jmaine: 10:21pm On Jan 02, 2013
koruji: And could you provide us reasons for that?

No one is telling you to believe me . .but only the naive believe Fashola is ready for 2015 Presidency shot . . . The highest he can attain is a Vice P slot . . . .and we know the VP slots are mostly cosmetic in nature to court votes from certain regions . . . . .

Having dreams isn't the same as reality . .When 2015 comes . . . . We shall compare facts and indices . . . . .

seeDunce: Jamiu rarely use his brain.

At least i get brain unlike those wey no even get any brain cell like you . . . .
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by seanet01: 10:34pm On Jan 02, 2013
jmaine:

No one is telling you to believe me . .but only the naive believe Fashola is ready for 2015 Presidency shot . . . The highest he can attain is a Vice P slot . . . .and we know the VP slots are mostly cosmetic in nature to court votes from certain regions . . . . .

Having dreams isn't the same as reality . .When 2015 comes . . . . We shall compare facts and indices . . . . .

At least i get brain unlike those wey no even get any brain cell like you . . . .
Jamiu pele o.
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 02, 2013
I hope we won't be seeing lot of dumb pro-PDP threads this year. angry

1 Like

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 02, 2013
No information yet? May be I should repeat the question. What has Fashola been doing with the lagos state share of the subsidy funds? Accountability is needed not only at the federal level, but also at the state and local govt level.
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by seanet01: 10:44pm On Jan 02, 2013
berem: I hope we won't be seeing lot of dumb pro-PDP threads this year. angry
We are already seeing them.
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by seanet01: 10:48pm On Jan 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: No information yet? May be I should repeat the question. What has Fashola been doing with the lagos state share of the subsidy funds? Accountability is needed not only at the federal level, but also at the state and local govt level.
Go and ask at the appropriate quarters. I doubt if you can ask your deluded governors in that gully erosion pervaded region this hypocritical question.
D.u.m.b a.s.s
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 02, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: No information yet? May be I should repeat the question. What has Fashola been doing with the lagos state share of the subsidy funds? Accountability is needed not only at the federal level, but also at the state and local govt level.
go google am na! You no know where google dey?

4 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jan 02, 2013
Is this same SURE-P that GEJ said won't be possible because of the subsidy removal?

Where are the buses promised by FG?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by taharqa: 11:05pm On Jan 02, 2013
Very Apt question @OP. Shee it was the same ACN and their goons herethat asked the FG the same question TWICE on the FG 2 days ago? They were SHOUTING then. SURELY, it wouldn't be too easy to respond to the same question thrown back at you na? Piece of Cake really!!

SO we are clear, see:

Since the partial removal of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government seven months ago, a whopping N248.85bn has been shared by the three tiers of government under the Subsidy Re-investment and Empowerment Programme.

The money shared was savings made from the partial fuel subsidy removal.

[b]The amount, our correspondent gathered, was based on the budgeted monthly provision of N35.55bn credited to the SURE-P account by the Federation Account Allocation Committee.

Of the N248.44bn, the Federal Government got N105bn, representing a monthly allocation of N15bn for the seven months; while the balance of N143.55bn was shared by the states and local governments.

A breakdown of the N35.55bn shared by the states in July revealed that Akwa Ibom got the highest amount of N1.83bn; while Rivers got N1.46bn; Delta, N1.40bn; and Bayelsa, N1.09bn.

Abia got N364.9m; Adamawa, N393.3m; Anambra, N394.08m; Bauchi, N456.52m; Benue, N439.43m; Borno, N494m; Cross River, N389.13m; Ebonyi N285.76m; Edo N446.3m; and Ekiti, N301.1m.

Others are Enugu, N347.1m; Gombe, N297.42m; Imo, N469.75m; Jigawa, N454.62m; Kaduna, N504.13m; Kano, N718.6m; Katsina, N535.7m; Kebbi, N390.29m; Kogi, N395.9m; Kwara, N335.93m; Lagos, N540.48m; and Nassarawa, N296.6m.

Similarly, Niger State got N475.26m; Ogun, N376.59m; Ondo, N533.08m; Osun, N406.47m; Oyo, N515.89m; Plateau, N364.73m; Sokoto, N415.93m; Taraba, N366.13m; Yobe, N360.05m; Zamfara, N352.01m; and the Federal Capital Territory, N56.77m.[/b]

The Minister of State for Finance, Dr. Yerima Ngama, had said the states and local governments would not receive their share until they opened separate accounts for the fund.

This, he noted, would enable the Federal Government to track how the fund was being used.

He said, “The subsidy re-investment fund is supposed to be paid to the states and local governments separately into a special account that they should open and we expect them to also forward to the ministry the programmes that they intend to use the subsidy re-investment fund for in order to alleviate the condition of our people.

“But every state is free to determine what it wants to do with its subsidy re-investment fund. It doesn’t have to be what the Federal Government is doing, but you can come and complement what the Federal Government is doing in your own state. So, the distribution will be made separately so that we will be able to hold people completely accountable.”

Findings, however, revealed that the majority of the states in a bid to begin the implementation programme, had been responding to the directive.

For instance, Governor Patrick Yakowa of Kaduna State last week inaugurated a committee for the implementation of the programme.

The SURE programme provides for the implementation of short-term social welfare schemes to alleviate the impact of subsidy removal on Nigerians.

Some of these are the construction, completion and rehabilitation of rail, refineries, key federal highways, hydro stations, information technology and water projects.

The programme will also fund mass transit, public works, training for unskilled youths and social services to reduce high maternal and infant mortality rates.

It is being managed by the SURE-P committee headed by Dr. Christopher Kolade.

The committee is saddled with the responsibility of “mitigating the immediate impact of the removal of fuel subsidy and accelerate economic growth through investment in critically needed infrastructure.”

Of the Federal Government share of the SURE-P fund, it was learnt that N21.7bn had already been set aside for the construction of the East-West road.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/subsidy-savings-fg-states-lgs-share-n248-85bn/

The FG has FULFILLED the promise made to Nigerians early this year to SET ASIDE the funds saved from the removal of subsidy and distribute same to all the Tiers of Govt, in order to fund SPECIFIC infrastructure projects (like Rails, Roads and Bridges) and Job Creation measures (like Graduate Internship Scheme). This promise have been/ is been Kept.

Now, what has the states including the ACN controlled ones(who have received at least an average of #300million EACH month) done with their own part of the subsidy money. What projects or programmes have they used the subsidy money they have received to do? Shee, they are puking their mouths into FG's share??

Thanks for the ANTICIPATED RESPONSE.
Re: What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? by taharqa: 11:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
JUST to recap some of the response that was given when this same qusetion was asked BY ACN AND ITS GOONS here 2 days ago about some of the things the FG have been doing with their share of the fund:

The FG promised to provide 'Direct' JOBS Invention' in 3 ways:

- YOUWIN programme, where young entrepreneurs are meant to submit their business plans from which 1200 of them will be selected by an international Consultancy Firm ON MERIT, and then mentored and given various sums of monies bw #1m-#10m to set up/run their businesses and employ other persons (Already, this programme has been widely adjourned SUCCESSFUL with the 1st set of 1200 persons selected on MERIT and given their 2nd tranche of money already. A 2nd set of 1200 female entrepreneurs are been selected already in a similarly TRANSPARENT process).
http://indepthnewsng.com/fg-releases-second-tranche-of-youwin-payments/

- Graduate Intensive Scheme, which is funded by the SURE-P and meant to attach 50,000 young Degree/HND graduates to some companies where they would have the opportunity to be employed after one year and will be paid some stipends by the FG during that time (the advert for this programme was everywhere from July/August this year, and already some of the successful names have already been released and in the process of been posted to the interested companies)
http://www.naijafinder.com/nigeria-job-vacancies/194806-federal-government-graduate-internship-scheme-verification-1st-batch-interns.html

- Lastly, the 370,000 jobs promised youths and women(yea, its 370,000 not 37,000- 10,000 each for the 36 states and Abuja of course) .

But this is how this works- the FG and each state Govt are supposed to collaborate to run the programme in each state with the FG paying for 5000 persons while the particular state pays for the other 5000; some states are already doing their part in this respects and are setting up their programmes, while some states are stalling (IRONICALLY, only reecently, an ACN state was accussed by the state SURE-P coordiantor of not cooperating- the FG particularly accused the Osun Govt recently of playing POLITICS and stalling the programme in the state). As you already mentioned, Abuja, which is under the direct control of the FG, have already employed 4000 persons out of their 10000 slot.
Oh, by the way: states have ALL receive their share of the subsidy money rom the Federation account as promised, from which they were supposed to pay their own 5000 persons (amongst other things).

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/1262-

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/sure-p-fcta-backs-akinjide-s-claim-on-job-provision/134797/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

North Is Not One / Biafra: EU Parliament Calls For The Immediate Release Of Nnamdi Kanu / Prof Osibanjo Might Be In A Few Days Be Nigeria President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.