Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,053 members, 7,807,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

Can Small Code Size Stink The Interview? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can Small Code Size Stink The Interview? (741 Views)

Hlp With Link To Download A Good C/C++ Compiler With A Size Of 30-40mb / What's The Right Size For Sellable Software? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Small Code Size Stink The Interview? by kambo(m): 7:14pm On Jan 02, 2013
i wrote "hello work" in 2005 , and i've been coding ever since. On the sidelines never commercially never for money but fact be that the years have passed like a week rather than like stretches! I am an intermediate programmer to advanced (in some aspects) but my code size for most of my projects is usually btw 1k+ to 2k+ very few exceed 3k. I write software i use. I never run out of something to code so i am always busy. The issue now is typical popular software contain lines of codes in the tens of thousands. Wordpress has i think 70k+ lines of php code alone, phpbb has 100k+ lines, ant 70k+, when i use this apps i always wonder what they put inside to make them so big cuz the 'core' of my app seems to level of at a small size. At the interview i'll b selling myself thru my works but i'm wondering if the general notion of software is 10k * n + v lines of code where n is a variable greater than 0 and v is less than 1000. I'd need to know the expectation in commercial software world. P.s : The lines of code i mentioned are for the 'core' i.e the model not including gui or input (boring stuff). ((I've suffered usual setbacks like lockouts from nepa outage, no productivity when i travelled earlier years when i had no laptop etc ).I became interested in my l.o.c after i wrote a counter utility with file type filtering capability, that's how i counted the wordpress, ant , phpbb and others. Java se has 6M+ l.o.c. I lose interest and concentration falters after coding for a month!!. The interviewer called me and we spoke for about 10 minutes but i want to know what expectations code and size wise will b for some1 with my span of experience dont wanna come across as unserious or inept.
Re: Can Small Code Size Stink The Interview? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:04pm On Jan 02, 2013
if your code gets the job done and doesn't crash then you have nothing to worry about.
Re: Can Small Code Size Stink The Interview? by ciphoenix: 10:22pm On Jan 02, 2013
Exactly. Getting the job done in fewer lines and fewer bugs is an advantage IMO
Re: Can Small Code Size Stink The Interview? by WhiZTiM(m): 5:19pm On Jan 07, 2013
What you are forgetting about is the one fact that those Software were not built in just one day neither in just one month...
...Oga Sir, Here is what you should know...
1. Those Software have been actively developed by more than one person OVER THE YEARS.... How should one programmer compete with several competent programmers in lines of codes

2. Writing a Software with so much customization parameters and modularity involves thee use of indirect function calls.(you may google it)
----In simplest terms, for example... between the function that displays user comments, you want a plugin that can style the presentation based on some certain variables...
this provision makes you to add more lines of code than the core... because, at the receiving function, you have to implement "fuses"(a term I use for type/error checking...)

You may want to try a simple program that is modular enough to accept an external processing of some internal variables;

3. Some games that have 7million+ lines of codes do not always have all their codes written by hand... some are automated... for example writing a code that moves two entirely different and independent items in the same manner may require you writing it for only one and automating the others...(mostly places where generic implementations wouldn't fit in)

-----I hope this helps....
`````~~~``````~~~~~~~~~~``````~~~~~~~~ Timothy. (WhiZTiM)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Active Objects / Zinox Moves IT Hub From Washington To Nigeria. / The Craziest Thing Google Announced On Wednesday (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.