Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket (9899 Views)

FG To Fund Budget Through Sukuk Bond / Speaker Yakubu Dogara Cautions FG To Tread Softly On Saraki’s Trial / Gej Plot To Ground Airplanes, Freeze Bank Accounts Of APC To Stop Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by majortele(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2013

The General Manager, Corporate Communications, of the Ministry of Aviation, Yakubu Dati stated this in Benin City shortly after a tour to check the extent of remodelling and reconstruction work at the Airport in Benin City.

Answering questions on the safety of airplanes in Nigeria, Mr Dati said concerns in this area has led to removal of tariffs on aviation spare parts and that plans to purchase airplanes for the operators.

He said the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) was bent on removing abandoned aircrafts across the country as it does not fit into the aviation Master Plan.

Explaining how the fund needed for the new aircraft would be sourced,Mr Dati said the federal government would purchase the airplanes through the aviation fundbeing managed by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Bank of Industry (BoI) as direct disbursement of funds was being abused
“This is to help domestic airlines operate profitablyand make it attractive for investors because spare parts are a major cost component in the aviation industry.”

He reiterated government’s commitmentto making the country’s aviation industry a hub in the African continent. On abandoned planes across airports in the country, he said: “We have given the ultimatum for the owners of abandoned aircraft to remove them because they constitute menace to our airspace and airports.

“They are dangers to theflying publics because they may be places wherethese birds could hide. Wehave also discovered thatsome of the aircraft havelitigation issues around them, some of them wereused as collateral for loans.

“Such things are being handled by our legal department and as soon as those issues are resolved, the planes will be moved. We also try to advise owners that thereare several creative ways in which they can use them. We are in the age of recycling and they are built with plastics and metals and that can be done profitably.

“But definitely, when the period we give elapses, FAAN will take action to ensure that we clear our spaces of abandoned aircraft because it does not fit into the aviation master-plan.”
http://livebetalife.com/federal-government-to-buy-30-airplanes-to-reduce-airline-ticket-and-boost-domestic-transportation-in-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by braine(m): 10:43am On Jan 03, 2013
I hope they're real planes and not coffins.

1 Like

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by majortele(m): 11:10am On Jan 03, 2013
braine: I hope they're real planes and not coffins.
abi o
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Telez(m): 11:33am On Jan 03, 2013
May God save us, nigerians r searching 4 job, bad road networks and yet want to invest on less important tins..the masses are #crying#

1 Like

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by MajeOfficial: 11:48am On Jan 03, 2013
At least.
This is a good policy because reduced price of travel means a sharp increase in business activities, and tourism.
Hopefully they're quality planes and hopefully they actually do as they say.
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by valdubem(m): 11:53am On Jan 03, 2013
I just pray the airplanes won't fall into the wrong hands.
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Okijajuju1(m): 11:55am On Jan 03, 2013
.So the FG still hasnt learnt its lessons from Nigeria Airways and Air Nigeria Saga!!

BRING VIRGIN NIGERIA BACK!!!!!!

The government has no business buying planes... Airplanes are not cheap!! Airline tickets are not for the poor.. Open up the Nigerian market and regulate the activities of airlines.. The more airlines, the higher competition the lower the prices of tickets..

1 Like

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by manny4life(m): 11:55am On Jan 03, 2013
No offense but this is the most ill thought idea. How does buying planes reduce ticket prices?

How many % of Nigerians travel by air compared to population vs the amount used for this transaction? 2013 was three days ago, yet they have publicly announced how they will loot our money.

Nigeria, my beloved country, we still have a LONG WAY ahead.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by sharpshap(m): 11:56am On Jan 03, 2013
They must have seen fairly used planes that are cheap.asssoles

1 Like

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by bubadaniel13: 11:56am On Jan 03, 2013
This is a step in the right direction...kudos to the FG
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 03, 2013
I hope say no be tokunbo planes sha
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Futureleader1(m): 11:57am On Jan 03, 2013
This is a welcome news but i smell something fishy...oooops i mean jeeees
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 03, 2013
WHERE ARE D BUSES THEY PROMISED?

2 Likes

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by tobechi74: 11:58am On Jan 03, 2013
From Pastor buyin private jet. In 2012

to govt buying aeroplane in 2013

NIGERIA WE HALL THEE
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by manny4life(m): 11:58am On Jan 03, 2013
berem: I hope say no be tokunbo planes sha

Lol... tokunbo planes?

Before nko, it's gonna be used airplanes. New planes have been back ordered since two years ago by the big dawgs.
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 03, 2013
Another open end for someone to become millionaire over night,if not billionaire through the contract of the purchase of the aircraft.

Future thread will be: FG to spend 300 trillion naira to purchase 30 planes.
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by miteolu(m): 11:59am On Jan 03, 2013
2013 YEAR OF GEJ ULTIMATE PROMISES
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by gen2briz(m): 11:59am On Jan 03, 2013
Plane abi..,na who go supply am?
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Dfrenzy(m): 11:59am On Jan 03, 2013
Na wa o...
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by eduson77(m): 11:59am On Jan 03, 2013
[size=18pt]Is this the best they could come up with?

the small small blood wey them dey suck via bad road accidents no do them,na to dey suck am in big quantity by air?

they've failed tongue...
dem no see my leg**..[/size]
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Kx: 12:01pm On Jan 03, 2013
I dont need to be a doubting Thomas to know that this is another "FG to" that will never see the light of the day.

But for the sake of argument,
IF FG pulls this one through, what then is the whole essence of deregulation, privatization and the likes?

They said they can not build and operate refineries because it is not the business of govt to be in business,
why then would they go ahead and buy airplanes for the domestic airspace?

2 Likes

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by ballabriggs: 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2013
majortele:
T
Answering questions on the safety of airplanes in Nigeria, Mr Dati said concerns in this area has led to removal of tariffs on aviation spare parts and that plans to purchase airplanes for the operators.

This removal of tariffs, does it include private jet owners? If it does then this is a huge joke. Anyone who wants to enjoy the luxury of a private jet should be made to bare the full cost of it and it should not be at the expense of tax payers.
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by mrkels(m): 12:03pm On Jan 03, 2013
Nonesense,
Misplaced priorities...
Why not use the funds for connecting the whole country through rails thereby providing the cheapest and maybe safest means of transportation in the country.

1 Like

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 03, 2013
Lol, the airline will die faster than Nigeria airways. The crop of politicians now are by far worse than the people that ruined Nigeria airways. Misplaced priority.
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Tayo114: 12:05pm On Jan 03, 2013
Good news fresh air 2013
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Elueme: 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
I have heard this severally just since last quarter of 2012. Buy the planes, reduce the high cost of ticket and let me hear word.
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by calcal: 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
tumababa: WHERE ARE D BUSES THEY PROMISED?

Ask BEAF!
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2013
to buy, to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,to buy,
WHEN WILL THAT COME PASS,OH LORD AND PLEASE WE DONT WANT DEATHS ON OUR AIR AGAIN? PLEASE BUY FROM GOOD MANUFACTURER O
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2013
^^
I think it's a form of subsidy for the airlines to ease the huge financial burden on their backs. The airlines would make interest payments to the FG from their ticket sales. I read somewhere that the FG loan would have a single-digit interest rate (below 10%).

1 Like

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Onwe101(m): 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2013
hmmm...

Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Elueme: 12:09pm On Jan 03, 2013
mrkels: Nonesense,
Misplaced priorities...
Why not use the funds for connecting the whole country through rails thereby providing the cheapest and maybe safest means of transportation in the country.
Must you be a sadist? And who telLs you that you have a superior thought . We have more traffic with air moDe of transportation than the rail which is in the evolving phase with the latest commissioning. The fact that ithe proposed policy may not benefit you much( maybe you don't fly) doesn't make it not popular. Learn to talk sensibly.
Re: FG To Buy 30 Airplanes To Reduce Airline Ticket by Dee60: 12:10pm On Jan 03, 2013
Strange...How do they know the types of aircraft the airlines are able to manage? To buy new aircraft you need to place your order at least 2 years ahead. What is FG talking about now? Can they give some details please? IS it that people in government have stopped thinking?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Your Campaign Has No Traction, It's A Failure" - Presidency Mocks PDP / Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? / I Remain PDP Secretary —oyinlola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.