Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,255 members, 7,780,546 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:16 PM

Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas (9277 Views)

Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) / The Ijebu People And Their Ancestral Hometowns In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:45am On Jan 09, 2014
[quote author=Findingmyroots]

I'm from Onitsha and I'm quite sure we not Yoruba we are igbos who went to war with our brother igbos. As a matter a fact, it's some of the Yorubas who are actually Igbo, thanks to Queen Remi sacrifice e of her body to the igbos and her son. Places like Akure & Abeokuta were founded by the Onitsja people. Did you know that 10 villages in Onitsha are arochukwu? Yes, it's true. The other 4 villages are from anambra state. And two from igala(kogi). The current oba of Benin paternal home is actually Igbo. And the maternal home is Bini

Some even say Yoruba is a Hausa word and just recently came into existence

Nwa onye Onicha,tell me more about these ten villages in Onicha who are Aro people. I have read Onicha history extensively but I have never came across any Onicha-Aro link. I mean,which are the villages and how when did they arrive Onicha ? What about the migrants from Bini ? You have a lot of explanation to do ? Where in the world did you get such iddeiotic story ?
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by RedEboe(m): 3:17am On Jan 09, 2014
What do you LOVE or HATE about being IGBO?

What makes you PROUD enough to raise your head as an IGBO Man/Woman and what makes you want to bury your head in shame?

Share with us here http:///1huh7lq
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by aljharem(m): 10:55pm On Jan 09, 2014
Very interesting topic. I strongly believe there are connections btw Igbo bini ijaw Yoruba igala idoma etc

People should go read on Emeagwali's history on onitsha
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Antivirus92(m): 1:35am On Jan 10, 2014
alj harem: Very interesting topic. I strongly believe there are connections btw Igbo bini ijaw Yoruba igala idoma etc

People should go read on Emeagwali's history on onitsha
emeagwali's history on onitsha is a big crap and lacks proves. It's all my mother told me this and that!
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 10, 2014
Onitsha has connections with the Aniocha-Oshimili people of Delta State and perhaps with the Edo people. The Onitsha dialect is basically a 'splinter-dialect' of the Aniocha-Oshimili macrodialect.

I really doubt that there was any kind of direct connection between Onitsha and any Yoruba group. All the words of supposedly Yoruba origin found in Onitsha vocabulary could have easily come from the Anioma area, and ultimately from Benin rather than firsthand from Yorubaland.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by bigfrancis21: 11:01am On Jan 10, 2014
Radoillo II: Onitsha has connections with the Aniocha-Oshimili people of Delta State and perhaps with the Edo people. The Onitsha dialect is basically a 'splinter-dialect' of the Aniocha-Oshimili macrodialect.

I really doubt that there was any kind of direct connection between Onitsha and any Yoruba group. All the words of supposedly Yoruba origin found in Onitsha vocabulary could have easily come from the Anioma area, and ultimately from Benin rather than firsthand from Yorubaland.

@bold...that's if there are any in the first place except for the one or two kingship titles borrowed from the Bini traditional kingship system which are Bini anyway.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Nobody: 11:54am On Jan 10, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...that's if there are any in the first place except for the one or two kingship titles borrowed from the Bini traditional kingship system which are Bini anyway.

That's why I said 'SUPPOSEDLY Yoruba words'. It seems some Onitsha people believe they derive the following words directly from the Yorubas.

Ogede (plantain)
Onogbo (ologbo in Yoruba - cat)
Ogbadu (agbado in Yoruba - corn)

But these words are also used throughout Aniocha-Oshimili and Edo. I see no reason why those places can't be the immediate source of the words for Onitsha. Why climb over the heads of their immediate neighbours who share these words with them to clinch some imaginary Yoruba kinship on the strength of a small number of widely used words?
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Antivirus92(m): 2:10pm On Jan 10, 2014
Let's assume that onitsha people are bini descendants. Then, how........

Are they speaking igbo instead of bini(their mother tongue) or at least a mixture of igbo and bini?

How do they claim to have a monarch(obi) which some of them claim to be a corruption of bini word "oba", when the people working with the obi are ndiichie,ndinze(which they call agbala-NZE) and ndi ozo. Are there no other names for these tittled men in the mother tongue bini?

How can an ogboli village in igbouzo and ogwashiukwu claim igbo origin and then the same ogboli village in onitsha be founded by some bini migrants?,was there any time in history when igbos and bini spoke the same language?, was there any igbo clan that colonised those bini migrants that settled in onitsha?

Do other onicha people in ebonyi and other parts of igboland also come from bini? If not, why the sameness of name?, was it just a coincindence?

How do other delta-igbo people(asaba,igbouzo,ogwashi-ukwu etc) have a history of nri-awka igbo settlement when onitsha which is the gateway to those places has no trace of igbo origin? Do those nri-awka migrants fly to those places? ,didn't they pass through onitsha?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Pharoh: 2:20pm On Jan 10, 2014
Some people thought closing the delta igbo thread will stop the debate but it is evident that it will never stop. Origination from a geographical location does not mean you are of the same ethnic group with the people presently there. Americans do not European ethnicity even though most of them migrated from the various European countries today. Anioma ethnic groups do not claim benin as their ethnic group but only claim there as their place of origin only which was originally called Idu. An empire is made of different ethnic groups and their languages so it is in this light that you will look at the benin empire and not that everyone who claim benin origin must speak benin language.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Antivirus92(m): 2:39pm On Jan 10, 2014
Pharoh: Some people thought closing the delta igbo thread will stop the debate but it is evident that it will never stop. Origination from a geographical location does not mean you are of the same ethnic group with the people presently there. Americans do not European ethnicity even though most of them migrated from the various European countries today. Anioma ethnic groups do not claim benin as their ethnic group but only claim there as their place of origin only which was originally called Idu. An empire is made of different ethnic groups and their languages so it is in this light that you will look at the benin empire and not that everyone who claim benin origin must speak benin language.
a very lame excuse! America wouldn't have had whites among them if europeans had not went there,south africans wouldn't have had white population if europeans had not went there. There would not have been any english as official language in U.S.A if brits did not colonise them. How did igbo language and tradition manage to fly over to anioma if there are no igbos there?. Bini empire wasn't as strong as the old roman empire yet there are no identity crisis in europe.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:53pm On Jan 10, 2014
It is ridiculous for anybody to say or think Onicha Ado has relationship with Bini nor Yoruba. Not long ago Onicha were celebrating "Olili nne" with Adagbe of Nri comprising Nando,Ogbunike and other northern Anambra towns. How come ? Why are we talking about Onicha alone ? How about Umu-ezechima of Obosi ? Have you seen them arguing their Igboness ? What about Aguleri with all their Igala migrants ? How come Umuoji has the title (Iyasele) as Onicha but Onicha claim it was a bini title but we Idenmilis never borrowed from Onicha,rather we gave them and beautified them with out prestigious culture ? People like quoting a lost soul like Emeagwali because he is famous as if he is an authentic source,while ignoring the intimidating evidences on the ground. I swear,no Onicha man dare stand in my presence and spew those trash. I will put them right where they belong. Ndi ala!

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 10, 2014
This is my theory. I might not be totally correct, but this is what I feel.

Oftentimes, in history, people point to a major centre of civilization and culture which had a great cultural impact on them and claim that their founding fathers came from there. They develop a body of oral literature (which we call 'oral tradition') 'explaining' their putative kinship ties with that centre of civilization.

This tendency was not limited to pre-literate Nigeria. In Ancient Europe, the celtic people of Britain were influenced greatly by imperial Rome. For a time, Britain was even ruled by Rome. In time the Britons came to believe that they were descended from a Roman called Brutus, and that 'Britain' is a corruption of 'Brutus'. Modern historians now know that this story is no where near the truth. Some Romans settled and intermarried with Britons, but they were a very small number.

In southern Nigeria, there are (in my opinion) four such 'centres of civilization' from which many southern Nigerian groups claim to derive their origin. Ife, Benin, Nri and Idah. (Idah isn't exactly in the south, but for our purpose, let's assume everywhere south of Niger-Benue is 'south')

Each of these 'centres of culture' have had considerable cultural and even political impact on their neighbours. And all over the south, we encounter traditions about people emigrating from there to found settlements and ethnic groups. But I think it is physically impossible that all these people could have actually come from those centres/cities. Ife, Benin, Nri, Idah would have to be immensely populated cities for that to even begin to make some kind of sense. Plus you have to adequately explain what was causing all the urban-to-rural pull. And why a city like Agbor drastically lost its Bini language, just a few miles outside Benin.

When one really thinks about it all critically, it looks like what we have in Nigeria is basically the same Brutus-Britain-Rome story. We claim kinship with people who have influenced us politically and culturally.

Back to Onitsha. I think they migrated to where they are now less than 700 years ago. But I don't think they came from as far west as Benin. Its more reasonable to look for their origins among the Onicha communities found in Aniocha, Delta State. If there were Bini people among them, they were probably very small (like there were a small number of Romans among the Britons) and they simply disappeared in the mix.

PS: I'm not saying people never migrated from Benin or Ife or Idah or Nri. Movement of people is a historical phenomenon. I'm just saying we should be very critical of what traditions say about where people came from. Sometimes they are only showing us who influenced who.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Antivirus92(m): 3:13pm On Jan 10, 2014
Radoillo II: This is my theory. I might not be totally correct, but this is what I feel.

Oftentimes, in history, people point to a major centre of civilization and culture which had a great cultural impact on them and claim that their founding fathers came from there. They develop a body of oral literature (which we call 'oral tradition') 'explaining' their putative kinship ties with that centre of civilization.

This tendency was not limited to pre-literate Nigeria. In Ancient Europe, the celtic people of Britain were influenced greatly by imperial Rome. For a time, Britain was even ruled by Rome. In time the Britons came to believe that they were descended from a Roman called Brutus, and that 'Britain' is a corruption of 'Brutus'. Modern historians now know that this story is no where near the truth. Some Romans settled and intermarried with Britons, but they were a very small number.

In southern Nigeria, there are (in my opinion) four such 'centres of civilization' from which many southern Nigerian groups claim to derive their origin. Ife, Benin, Nri and Idah. (Idah isn't exactly in the south, but for our purpose, let's assume everywhere south of Niger-Benue is 'south')

Each of these 'centres of culture' have had considerable cultural and even political impact on their neighbours. And all over the south, we encounter traditions about people emigrating from there to found settlements and ethnic groups. But I think it is physically impossible that all these people could have actually come from those centres/cities. Ife, Benin, Nri, Idah would have to be immensely populated cities for that to even begin to make some kind of sense. Plus you have to adequately explain what was causing all the urban-to-rural pull. And why a city like Agbor drastically lost its Bini language, just a few miles outside Benin.

When one really thinks about it all critically, it looks like what we have in Nigeria is basically the same Brutus-Britain-Rome story. We claim kinship with people who have influenced us politically and culturally.

Back to Onitsha. I think they migrated to where they are now less than 700 years ago. But I don't think they came from as far west as Benin. Its more reasonable to look for their origins among the Onicha communities found in Aniocha, Delta State. If there were Bini people among them, they were probably very small (like there were a small number of Romans among the Britons) and they simply disappeared in the mix.

PS: I'm not saying people never migrated from Benin or Ife or Idah or Nri. Movement of people is a historical phenomenon. I'm just saying we should be very critical of what traditions say about where people came from. Sometimes they are only showing us who influenced who.
well said. For me as an igbo, i have never argued that all igbo people are from nri(though i deliberately do it sometimes when some ignoramus want to re-write igbo history). My view on igbo origin is that we are of the same origin(enugu,anambra,abia,imo,ebonyi and delta igbos) though i cannot point exactly to our place of origin . We are not heterogeneous. During expansion, we assimilated some non-igbo groups and that's why there is some little differences in our various culture/dialects.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by bigfrancis21: 3:20pm On Jan 10, 2014
Radoillo II:

That's why I said 'SUPPOSEDLY Yoruba words'. It seems some Onitsha people believe they derive the following words directly from the Yorubas.

Ogede (plantain)
Onogbo (ologbo in Yoruba - cat)
Ogbadu (agbado in Yoruba - corn)

But these words are also used throughout Aniocha-Oshimili and Edo. I see no reason why those places can't be the immediate source of the words for Onitsha. Why climb over the heads of their immediate neighbours who share these words with them to clinch some imaginary Yoruba kinship on the strength of a small number of widely used words?

Yea. Even Ogede and Onogbo are used all over Igboland. In my mother's native dialect in Enugu state, cat is called 'Nwaologbo' and plantain, Ogede. In official Igbo topography, Ogede and Nwaologbo are the official Igbo words for plantain and cat.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:29pm On Jan 10, 2014
"Nwaologbo" and "ogede" aren't the only words we share with Benin or Yoruba; How about okwute,nti and nmili. Yoruba; okuta,eti and omi. These are similar words with little variance and we don't know who borrowed from whom.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:35pm On Jan 10, 2014
Again,all Igbo don't share the same word for an item. For Umuoji; Thief-onye ulu. Lunch-igbazi. Adult-onye uchi.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by bigfrancis21: 3:35pm On Jan 10, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli: "Nwaologbo" and "ogede" aren't the only words we share with Benin or Yoruba; How about okwute,nti and nmili. Yoruba; okuta,eti and omi. These are similar words with little variance and we don't know who borrowed from whom.

I was just about to say that. In addition to what you said, the following;
duuru/duro(sit),
ogwu/ogun(charm),
egwugwu/egungun(masquerade),
Gbajie/baje(break/spoil)
Ozugo/otito(its enough/ok)
O ga bia/o ma wa(he/she will come)

are more examples of common words and sentences common between the whole of Igbo as a whole and Yoruba as a whole.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Antivirus92(m): 3:53pm On Jan 10, 2014
@ odenigbo aroli, awka also use "ulu" for stealing or thief. Example, okwa irutalu pen anwu n'ulu?(you stole that pen right?)., nwoke anwu vu onye ulu(that man is a thief).
This and many more other factors is why i believe that we are homogeneous. What we call kettle in my town in idemili maybe what a far away community in abia state call it. There maybe no other town in my neighbourhood(idemili) that share that same name for kettle with us .
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Pharoh: 4:28pm On Jan 10, 2014
Antivirus92: a very lame excuse! America wouldn't have had whites among them if europeans had not went there,south africans wouldn't have had white population if europeans had not went there. There would not have been any english as official language in U.S.A if brits did not colonise them. How did igbo language and tradition manage to fly over to anioma if there are no igbos there?. Bini empire wasn't as strong as the old roman empire yet there are no identity crisis in europe.
Why don't you tell us the ethnic identity of those white that you find in south africa and america or is white now an ethnicity?. Anioma groups like ukwuani and Ika do not speak igbo language but Ukwuani and ika respectively which doubles for their identity as well. I don't think if you asked Nri or ezechime to tell you his ethnic group or language and they would mention igbo because that was the creation of the whiteman.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Antivirus92(m): 4:39pm On Jan 10, 2014
Pharoh: Why don't you tell us the ethnic identity of those white that you find in south africa and america or is white now an ethnicity?. Anioma groups like ukwuani and Ika do not speak igbo language but Ukwuani and ika respectively which doubles for their identity as well. I don't think if you asked Nri or ezechime to tell you his ethnic group or language and they would mention igbo because that was the creation of the whiteman.

brainwashed and misled fellow!. The whites of south-africa are still proud of their dutch origin. In america, u hear things like american-jew, irish-american, italiano-americano. Nobody is an american alone. In the olden days, different clans of south east live independently though their have similar language and tradition. So the whites did not create igbo consciousness instead, they awaken it.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by 1shortblackboy: 4:45pm On Jan 10, 2014
Radoillo II: This is my theory. I might not be totally correct, but this is what I feel.

my guy na only Wey don talk like person Wey dey think for this thread others just dey spit gibberish coming from their lazy brains

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Pharoh: 5:24pm On Jan 10, 2014
Antivirus92: brainwashed and misled fellow!. The whites of south-africa are still proud of their dutch origin. In america, u hear things like american-jew, irish-american, italiano-americano. Nobody is an american alone. In the olden days, different clans of south east live independently though their have similar language and tradition. So the whites did not create igbo consciousness instead, they awaken it.

Brainwashed and misled by who if i may ask?, why don't you provide official documentation to show the ethnic groups that make up south africa and USA?. The clans in ukwuani land did not live independently and that relationship or system of organization has not been broken to this day in ukwuani land so don't confuse us with groups from the southeast. In any official list of ethnic groups in Nigeria, you will find Ukwuani inside of it so i am not moved by ignorant claims of ukwuani people are igbos or benin. Our reference to benin is a claim to the farthest known place of origin and not a statement of ethnicity like most of you want to believe. Let those who want to be awaken to igbo consciousness do so and those who have their own separate consciousness do so too.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Antivirus92(m): 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2014
Pharoh:

Brainwashed and misled by who if i may ask?, why don't you provide official documentation to show the ethnic groups that make up south africa and USA?. The clans in ukwuani land did not live independently and that relationship or system of organization has not been broken to this day in ukwuani land so don't confuse us with groups from the southeast. In any official list of ethnic groups in Nigeria, you will find Ukwuani inside of it so i am not moved by ignorant claims of ukwuani people are igbos or benin. Our reference to benin is a claim to the farthest known place of origin and not a statement of ethnicity like most of you want to believe. Let those who want to be awaken to igbo consciousness do so and those who have their own separate consciousness do so too.
you've said ur mind. Yes let ukwuani be and let igbo be. I could still recall that i had not mentioned ukwuani on this thread. How u dragged them into the conversation still amaze me. Ukwuani,though they speak igbo are not worth fighting for. Soooo negligible.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Pharoh: 6:27pm On Jan 10, 2014
Antivirus92: you've said ur mind. Yes let ukwuani be and let igbo be. I could still recall that i had not mentioned ukwuani on this thread. How u dragged them into the conversation still amaze me. Ukwuani,though they speak igbo are not worth fighting for. Soooo negligible.

You are the one that is confusing yourself because my original statement made mention of anioma ethnic groups not claiming benin as their ethnicity but you did not see that. You attacked me by saying there are anioma groups that are igbos and i went ahead to tell you those who do not claim igbo because only the aniocha and oshimili people mostly claim to be igbos.

They were dragged into the discussion anytime people want to talk about anioma people at the slightest opportunity. Yes let everyone live and let live but for your information, ukwuani people speak ukwuani language and not igbo language. They are not worth fighting for but you people will never let them be and keep disturbing them with the igbo term. We are 100 percent comfortable with our ukwuani identity and language and do not wish to be lumped with or inside any other ethnic group.

So the discussion should be limited to anambra people as the title of the thread says and i wonder how onitsha people migrated from the aniocha area of delta state without telling us where the aniocha people migrated from.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 10, 2014
But really, Pharoh, nobody said anything about Ukwuani before u jumped in. Anti-virus mentioned only Igbouzo and Ogwashi-ukwu, two Oshimili towns that have always identified as Igbo. Why are u fighting when no one is fighting with u?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Pharoh: 8:24pm On Jan 10, 2014
Radoillo II: But really, Pharoh, nobody said anything about Ukwuani before u jumped in. Anti-virus mentioned only Igbouzo and Ogwashi-ukwu, two Oshimili towns that have always identified as Igbo. Why are u fighting when no one is fighting with u?
I am not fighting anyone but only putting a distinction because delta igbo people was mentioned by the same person and the etc means he is talking about the others. If the discussion is about aniocha and oshimili people then it is definitely not my concern as i mostly restrict myself to ukwuani/ndokwa affairs.

How do other delta-igbo people(asaba,igbouzo,ogwashi-ukwu etc) have a history of nri-awka igbo settlement when onitsha which is the gateway to those places has no trace of igbo origin? Do those nri-awka migrants fly to those places? ,didn't they pass through onitsha?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

You can see the mention of delta igbo people just before my comment and the etc means he is talking about the whole anioma groups and not only those examples mentioned. I only made an harmless comment but you did not see all the insults he was throwing at me and now accusing me that i am fighting people here on this thread. Please can you point to me anything in my comment that suggest that i am fighting anyone?, i only made a general statement but he has been very insulting from the word go.

Anyway you guys can continue with your discussion as i do not have any interest to argue much about settled stuffs this new year. I respect your conduct and opinion about cultural matters here on nairaland but this is a new year and you should try to talk to your brothers about civil conversations and not insulting anyone that says they are different.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Antivirus92(m): 10:02pm On Jan 10, 2014
@ pharoh, but i cannot see the insults you are talking about. I only said that u people are negligible and not worth fighting for. Which are but true. Or is it the brainwashed or misled stuff, ofcourse the way u rushed into this thread shows that u only came to spew what they have been feeding you over there and not to learn.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Pharoh: 10:21pm On Jan 10, 2014
Antivirus92: @ pharoh, but i cannot see the insults you are talking about. I only said that u people are negligible and not worth fighting for. Which are but true. Or is it the brainwashed or misled stuff, ofcourse the way u rushed into this thread shows that u only came to spew what they have been feeding you over there and not to learn.

Well at this point i will not continue this in order not to derail this thread so i will just let it slide and i don't know what is new to learn from what we have been reading on nairaland for many years now. There will be other threads to educate us so whenever that becomes a reality then i will be very eager to see what you have to say that is different from the others. Let the thread go back to its initial direction as this is really not about ukwuani people.
Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by macof(m): 1:57am On Jul 06, 2014
bigfrancis21: I've always had a feeling that the Igbo race is the progenitor of so many tribes in Nigeria. But today no tribe will want to acknowledge this fact due to the detrabilized name and status given to the Igbo after the civil war.
The current trend within Igboland nowadays is claiming origin from other outside black tribes even when it could be false or vice versa. But the truth is gradually seeping out again. The Igbo people have been present in Africa for a very very long time, long before other tribes for them to be originated from them. Carbon dating results proves this fact.
Olukwumi (also called old yoruba) is spoken in two Igbo communities in delta state(though Igbo is more spoken). I believe that this is linguistic evidence and a reminder that some yoruba communities may have originated from Igbo land long long ago during the language spread and they moved westwards, leaving some folks behind. The migrant olukwumi group that left developed their language the more to what is now known as Yoruba dialects.
The history of Abeokuta has it that the area was originally populated by the Igbo people before it was invaded by foreigners who conquered and chased the natives away. The initial name of the place being 'ebe okwute' in Igbo meaning 'Place of stone' named so due to the heavy presence of stones and rocks, which was later corrupted to 'Abe okuta'. Interestingly enough, the meaning of abeoukta still remains the same in Igbo language as it is in Yoruba.
One doesn't seem to understand why there are many Yoruba communities that bear names with 'Igbo' attached to them. The 'Igbo' pronounced exactly the same way Igbo is pronounced natively in Igboland. Ijebu-Igbo, Igbo-ora for example.

grin grin see complete rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by macof(m): 2:09am On Jul 06, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli: "Nwaologbo" and "ogede" aren't the only words we share with Benin or Yoruba; How about okwute,nti and nmili. Yoruba; okuta,eti and omi. These are similar words with little variance and we don't know who borrowed from whom.

That's because all southern tribes were one at a point in time...some thousands of years ago before migration, expansion, isolation and finally innovation separated the people

Igbo and Yoruba were probably separated less than 5000 years ago

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by Probz(m): 6:25pm On Oct 19, 2021
bigfrancis21:
I've always had a feeling that the Igbo race is the progenitor of so many tribes in Nigeria. But today no tribe will want to acknowledge this fact due to the detrabilized name and status given to the Igbo after the civil war.
The current trend within Igboland nowadays is claiming origin from other outside black tribes even when it could be false or vice versa. But the truth is gradually seeping out again. The Igbo people have been present in Africa for a very very long time, long before other tribes for them to be originated from them. Carbon dating results proves this fact.
Olukwumi (also called old yoruba) is spoken in two Igbo communities in delta state(though Igbo is more spoken). I believe that this is linguistic evidence and a reminder that some yoruba communities may have originated from Igbo land long long ago during the language spread and they moved westwards, leaving some folks behind. The migrant olukwumi group that left developed their language the more to what is now known as Yoruba dialects.
The history of Abeokuta has it that the area was originally populated by the Igbo people before it was invaded by foreigners who conquered and chased the natives away. The initial name of the place being 'ebe okwute' in Igbo meaning 'Place of stone' named so due to the heavy presence of stones and rocks, which was later corrupted to 'Abe okuta'. Interestingly enough, the meaning of abeoukta still remains the same in Igbo language as it is in Yoruba.
One doesn't seem to understand why there are many Yoruba communities that bear names with 'Igbo' attached to them. The 'Igbo' pronounced exactly the same way Igbo is pronounced natively in Igboland. Ijebu-Igbo, Igbo-ora for example.

There’s definitely a case to be made that some itinerant Awka communities settled in the likes of Ondo (maybe even Ekiti) centuries ago. I also have a feeling that certain parts of Ekiti have a certain Imo-like vibe (God knows how itinerant/migratory ndu Okigwe were back in the day but it seems plausible that they migrated westwards at some point). It would explain why Ondo and Ekiti people seem to be cut from a more Eastern-leaning cloth than “mainstream” Yorubas closer to the western periphery.

Why else would they have a sizeable Catholic community (Igbos and Ondo people at least are divided between Catholic/orthodox and Pentecostal) or pounded yam and vegetable soups (as opposed to amala and gbegiri) be a staple there?

1 Like

Re: Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas by EmekaA125(m): 6:03pm On Oct 20, 2021
olisaokere:
By C.EYUTCHAE

It was Professor Anta Diop of Senegal who observed that ethnic groups often do not realize the extent to which they share kinship with the language, culture, traditions and historical socio-political structures, evolved by communities they have come to view as rivals. Indeed ethnic groups tend to see themselves as self-enclosed communities. But as an example are the Luluas of Kenya aware of their kingship with the Luluas of Senegal?
By the same token how many of us in Nigeria are aware that Anambra State is the ancestral home of the Igalas, Ngwas, Jukuns and Binis? Yet it remains historically true that Anambra State is the birth place of the founding fathers of Bendel, Imo and Benue States. Hence in language classification these separated people speak a common language which forms part of Kwa group of West African languages.

From Archeological discoveries at Ugwuele near Okigwe dating their existence to some ages follows that the Igbos were descendants of the first men of earth now traced to the Oduvai Gorge in East Africa. In historical literature, the Igbos, originally known as Iduus had their territorial distribution covering South west of the African continent later converging at the whole of the low lying land mass North and South of the Niger and Benue river confluence, down the Niger and Anambra River basins right down to the Niger Delta and westward to River Okpara beyond Lagos as shown in Rev. Johnson’s map in his history of the Yorubas. Later the low land dwellers were characterized as the Olu and the highlanders as the Igbo.

Tradition
Waves of migratrants led by Eri settled at Anambra River basin, establishing the ancient Iduu Ime KINGDOM at Aguleri. Historical traditions relate that his progenitors included Agulu and Menri (from who were descended the Nri), Igbo, Igala, Oba (whose descendants were the Binis) Enuike and a daughter, Ulu-uwa.
Igbo, an itinerant missionary acquired large Iduu followers who became known as Igbo people thus losing their Iduu identity just as followers of Christ are called Christians whether they came from Rome, London or Bonn.
Eris other descendant Menri established a priestly kingdom at Nri known for purification ceremonies and coronation of tributary of Iduu Ime kingdom. Hence, the Eze Nri Obalike (Nri kings (1989-1935) in the first decade of the 20th century told the Government Anthropologist, Northcote Thomas, that the area subject to him was Iduu.

On the same matter Lawton wrote:
“A marked feature of this (Nri) tribe is its hostility to the European, natural enough, when it is remembered that prior to the British, the Obalike was Eze Nri and crowned the kings of Benin and presided over all the religious observation of surrounding peoples”.

It was the tradition that coronation titles were usually conferred on tributary kings by the ancestral Iduu Ime kingdom which also assigned to each a General as head of the palace guards. Hence in honour of their ancestor, Atta the ruler of Igala was titled Atta of Igala. The founders of Benin were the descendants of Oba Eri whose habitation was UgwuOgodo where exists today, the Ogodo spring in Umuleri, near Aguleri. Hence the Binis in modem times still trace their ancestry of “Igodo” a corruption of Ogodo, an Igbo word for elevated place. Hence the first king of Benin, Iweka (anglicized to Eweka) was titled Oba in honour of their ancestor, Oba Eri. Eweka is English spelling of Iweka just as the letter E in England is pronounced I, This name Iweka an Igbo name in full means Iweka n’uno. It reflected the internal feud at the time the-would-be king was born. His second name was Edoziuno, Edo for short, meaning peace maker, thus was derived Edo Kingdom.

The name Benin itself was a corruption of the Igbo words. 'llo obi inu', meaning a place of bitter mindedness, again reflecting the quarrelsomeness of the people at that time over kingship disputes. To the first Benin king was assigned General Ado from Iduu Ime as head of his palace guards. According to the tradition of the people, Egbunike, the founding father of the Ogbunikes has three brothers, Awkuzu, Umuleri and Nando and a sister, Nwonicha. General Ado who was assigned to the Oba of Benin, married Nwonicha and the marriage resulted in such progenies as Onitsha Ado, Ado Ekiti etc.

Background
The Marriage formed the basis of the link between Ogbunike and Onitsha, thus giving the historical background to the Igbo adage which says: “Afuzi Onicha, Ogbunike ewelu,” meaning in the absence of Onitsha, Ogbunike takes its turn. When therefore Eze Chima, a descendant of General Ado in his flight with others, first from Benin, then from Agbor, named his son Onitsha, in honour of their maternal ancestors, and established Onitsha Ugbo and Onitsha Olona and the entire Umu Ezechima being referred to as Onitsha Ado, the origin of nomenclature cannot therefore be in serious doubt.

The Igalas who are descendants of Atta Eri had their ancestral home in Aguleri in the area of Ama Atta (Atta-in-the-fields). Igala was said to be the father of Ikem and was reputed to have such descendants as Omor, Omasi and Umuneke. The Ikems had sometimes settled in Umukete Agukeri, whose descendants were supposed to be the Ikem of Nando, Ikems in Nsukka, Ikems in Onitsha and other areas.

It is relevant to note that in a preliminary statement on the excavation made in Aguleri by the Department of History and Archaeology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Dr. F.N. Anozie said that the excavation took place at a site known as “Okpuno Igala”; and that is known to everybody including school children in Aguleri as a deserted Igala settlement. He said, there were sites with walls, one deserted and the other still inhabited by a group of Aguleri people, who during the author’s filed work in the area said they had blood relations with the Igalas. At the approach is the Ama Atta which seemed to have once been a village square. Almost at the centre of the enclosure is a mound known as “Ukpo eze” (kings throne” and North –East of the mound is the Owelle Atta (toilet area) and Ajo Agu Atta (cemetery).

The present Umukete people in Aguleri who claim blood relationship with the Igala people have their village walled, and traces of the wall could still be seen today. When an elderly man from this group was asked by excavators from the University the relationship between them and the Igalas, he said that the father of Igala and Igbo were sons of the same parents and that whenever anybody from Umukete went to Idah he normally would go to greet the Atta or the King. The greeting usually went as follows: “Ata abikibo bie takata bie Igala” which translates the lgbo saying that “Igbo is senior to Atta and Atta begot lgala. This is also reflected in the lgbo saying that: lgbo mulu Atta, mana Atta mulu lgala.” This oneness of lgbo and lgala is also reflected in lgbo adage which says “Alusi lgbo jebe mbana, obulu, alusi obodo lgala” which interprets that the spirits of lgbo-land in transit constitutes the spirit of lgalaland. Those who still doubt the common ancestry of lgbo and lgala could refresh their memory with this popular lgbo adage which says, “ Egbusia lgbo nine, lgbo afodukwa na lgala”, meaning even if all lgbos are wiped out of existence, the lgbos still remain in lgalaland. As with lgala, so is ldoma, who still have remnants of ancestors of ldoma community in Aguleri.

Aku was the fourth son of Agulu whose pregnancy were the Jukuns. The Jukuns as a result of their assertion of their monarchical sovereignty moved North-East of the Middle Belt area. They adopted a kingship tradition that is based on the lgbo abuana (puffada) life cycle. As the puff ada is said never gives birth naturally, but that the young ones bores through its mother which dies in process, the Jukuns kings live very short lives, dying untimely after about seven years when there are signs of maturity of a successor.
The Jukuns greet their kings after his coronation as Agaba Iduu meaning” Iduu Field Marshal whereas in their ancestral lduu land, Agaba Iduu does not refer to the king but to a war lord. Traditionally, the Jukun king’s title is Annum Agaba or Ojogwu Oji Agaba. The Jukun separation from Iduu kingship tradition followed the battle of Nando waged against their relations, the Aguleries. It ended in the Jukuns settling up coronation spot in Wukari. Thus the Nandos in Wukari, in the Middle Belt are presumed to be relations to Ikem, son of lgala in Benue State, and the Nandos in the present Anambra Local Government Area.

The war of succession from lduu Kingdom was initiated by the Oba of Benin known in lgbo historical literature as Agha lduu na Oba. (war of the lduu and Oba). It was a protracted war that touched most lgbo areas. It was intensified when the Benins acquired arms from the Portuguese. Then followed the war of secession of lgala initiated by the Atta. General Ogbe the son of Ajide attacked him at ldah, and was supported by General Udenze who controlled the Anam riverine area. Onoja Nwoboli left Aguleri and joined the lgalas because he was one of the remnants of the lgala descendants still at their Aguleri ancestral home.

Disturbances
General Onoja was stopped at Ogurugu from pushing Southward by General Enewelue who founded the Anyamelum area and part of Nsukka districts. But some remnant of lgala at Aguleri loyal to Atta created disturbances at their Aguleri ancestral home which made a section of Okpuno Nri, to move in a hysteria of haste to the present Imo State where they settled as Ngwas, a name reflecting the nature of the hurry (ngwa ngwa) with which they fled.
Okpuno Nris were made up of Okpu-enu, Okpuana and Aro. From the Okpuno dynasty came Disi Nri whose descendants founded Abacha named after their leader, Ikendu Abacheleku, in the present Idemili Local Government Area. There the principal village is Umudisi. Their ancestral home is Umudisi village at Ikenga Aguleri. Of the Okpuno elements comprising Okpuenu, Okpuana and Aro, the Okpuana people during the lgala disturbances left in a hurry hence their present settlement is known as Okpuala Ngwa. In remembrance of their ancestral structure and traditions during the Annual get-together of the Ngwas of Okpuala, they usually went on a pilgrimage to Okpuno Ngwa.
Most rubbish post I have seen so far. I didn't even bother going through the gibberish.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Political Systems / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture / Use Your Mother Tongue In All Social Gatherings – Ohanaeze Tells Ndigbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.