Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola (20933 Views)

Aregbesola Commissions The Kings University Ode-Omu / Osun Students' Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody / Anambra Students To Represent Nigeria At 27th World Debate In Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by ziccoit: 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2013
This is the man everybody has nicknamed Islamic terrorist especially on this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by MajeOfficial: 4:42pm On Jan 03, 2013
[size=15pt]Am in igbo man and i support this move 110%[/size]
Aregbesola is one of the most intelligent governors nigeria has ever had

9 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 03, 2013
anonimi:

It would be more productive if a project to draw comparisons with stories in the Bible and koran can be done.
I don't know much about ifa divination, that's why I am willing to learn. One of the odu also mentioned the great flood as recorded in the bible (Noah). Ifa talked about ife before and after the flood.

I am not suprised that people from Brazil ,
Cuba, Dominican Republic, Guyana, Haiti ,
Jamaica , Puerto Rico , Suriname, Trinidad and
Tobago , the United States, Uruguay , Argentina
and Venezuela among others are learning the culture. They even learn it the hard way as they learn the Yoruba language first before interpreting it to Portuguese, spanish, french and English to a larger audience.

3 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by gidiMonsta(m): 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2013
Odunnu: Is studying Ifa like studying Dodonbiri and Amadioha in Hausa and Igbo settings?

Nope. Ifa is not a god, its a psuedo religion in the mould of the likes of scientology but with a big difference; proponents of Ifa believe in the existence and omnipotence of a supreme being called Eledumare (which is in essence another name for God in yoruba).

the_ripper: Abeg Ifa and JuJu na d same tin?

Calling Ifa juju is like calling Meteorology or quatum physics juju.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by DrugDoc: 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2013
Good one, Mr. Governor. Hopefully one day all christians and muslims will come to their senses or voluntarily leave us and go to Rome, Jerusalem and Mecca. It's pure lunacy to worship and take pilgrimage to lands of people that see it fit to enslave you.

4 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by anonimi: 4:47pm On Jan 03, 2013
hotwax:
Colonial slave. This ifa not bible or quran.

Do you have a comprehension problem of simple English?
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Monzuur(m): 4:47pm On Jan 03, 2013
youngies: The Osun State Government has announced a comprehensive plan for the state’s secondary school students to study Ifa as one of their subjects.

The state Governor, Ogbeni Raufu Aregbesola, said the schools’ computer tablet had application for Ifa studies.

Aregbesola made the relevation yesterday during the special prayers session to usher in the New Year, organized with clerics from all religions praying for the peace and growth of the state.

Clerics who offered special prayers for the state included the President General, League of Imams and Alfas in the South-West, Alhaji Mustapha Ajisafe; the Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in the state, Evangelist Abraham Aladeseye; and frontline Ifa priest, Chief Ifayemi Elebuibon, among others.

The special prayer affected official functions in the state secretariat and other government offices, as top civil servants across all parastatal agencies graced the occasion held in the premises of the Bola Ige House, state secretariat, Abere, Osogbo.

Bishop of Osogbo Diocese of the Methodist Church, Bishop John Bamigboye, advised the government to compensate those whose property were demolished as a result of the ongoing road dualization in the state.

Bamigboye enjoined the government to return Christian and Islamic Religious Studies to all primary and secondary schools in the state.

Governor Aregbesola, in his remarks at the ceremony, declared that 2013 would be a year of total freedom for the state, stressing that the year would be for the people of the state a year of total turn-around and liberty.

According to the governor, the government’s major desire for the state in 2013 is to ensure the fulfillment of the desires of the state’s founding fathers, stressing: “Osun State will be freed in 2013 from hunger, mystery, poverty and under-development.”

He said his government has paid over N600 million as compensation to owners of demolished structures, even as he assured that those who were yet to receive their compensation would get theirs soon.

Aregbesola also disclosed that his government had returned religious studies to all public primary and secondary schools in the state, adding that the free computer tablet tagged ‘opon Imon’, which the government would present to secondary school students had an application for Ifa studies.

He also prayed for peace and development of the state in 2013 and urged all the people to support his government and the country with prayers, saying: “Nigeria needs prayers for an end to come to the security problem confronting the northern part of the country.”

Aregbesola added that his desire for the year was to make the state the envy of other states in the country, saying he had come to the state to do the works of God.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/osun-students-to-study-ifa-aregbesola/
[color=#990000][/color] grin Baba kabiru @ it again

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by anonimi: 4:49pm On Jan 03, 2013
saxywale:
I don't know much about ifa divination, that's why I am willing to learn. One of the odu also mentioned the great flood as recorded in the bible (Noah).

From my scanty memories of the NTA Ibadan old series of Ifa Olokun A soro dayo also anchored by Dr. Elebuibon, there are many similar stories between what is in the Bible (particularly OT) which is almost reproduced verbatim in the Koran.
Such a comparative project may instill a greater level of self confidence that could propel us to modern greatness if we focus our education on innovation by massively encouraging enrolment in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) related subjects.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by lazbay(m): 4:50pm On Jan 03, 2013
This is interesting. But hope its made optional for d students. because Ifa is not like academics its a spiritual thing. When children begin to chant incantations at home in front of their parents then we shall know what problem ds governor is putting in place in osun state.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Justicemy: 4:52pm On Jan 03, 2013
de most boring state in naija
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Monzuur(m): 4:53pm On Jan 03, 2013
Smart jeezy: I know some ifa like:.EJI OGBE...
OYEKU MEJI...
IWORI MEJI...
ODU MEJI....
OKANRAN MEJI...
IROSUN MEJI...
OWONRIN MEJI...
OGUNDA MEJI...
OSA MEJI...
IRETE MEJI...
i knw all, i get juju account 4 my house i inherit it but i no dey do am coz i always afraid

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by rodeo0070(m): 5:03pm On Jan 03, 2013
A pictorial help is here...

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jan 03, 2013
anonimi:

From my scanty memories of the NTA Ibadan old series of Ifa Olokun A soro dayo also anchored by Dr. Elebuibon, there are many similar stories between what is in the Bible (particularly OT) which is almost reproduced verbatim in the Koran.
Such a comparative project may instill a greater level of self confidence that could propel us to modern greatness if we focus our education on innovation by massively encouraging enrolment in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) related subjects.
Yeah, the potential of what could be revealed is enormous but I was told it can take years to learn some of the odu's. I sometimes wonder why they can't be interpreted to English instead of being taught orally.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by abdulkayus(m): 5:07pm On Jan 03, 2013
Ifa ko ifo ni, rubbish. Legalising idoltary and ritual. Nw some ppl will take ritual to a higher level and will claim to hav been supported by d government. Any right thinkin muslims or xtains will nt accept dis.
Dis Aregbeshola don dey look lyk a clown to be. Aregbe, u are nt a true muslim, wat u are tryin to condone is shirk.
CIAO
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by hotwax: 5:15pm On Jan 03, 2013
anonimi:

Do you have a comprehension problem of simple English?

You can ask ur dog.

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by hotwax: 5:21pm On Jan 03, 2013
Greatken007: Why ar we going backward?d name alone is scaring and d pple ar 'Foolish'
People are not foolisah, you should examine urself/brain. What makes bible and qran modern?
If learning ifa makes you backward then bible and quran has made you back stager since.

6 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by hotmas911(m): 5:29pm On Jan 03, 2013
they can study anything they like all i know is there is a God who rule in the affairs of men.

8 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by hotmas911(m): 5:30pm On Jan 03, 2013
;DAregbe has stolen my heart with this concept. Anyone there that can teach me the concept of ifa? I am a christian but my heart is opened to this ifa concept. Japan, China,India and others didn't lose their religious beliefs to foreigne. Look at them they have prospered more than us. Abeg count me in.
I know some ifa like:.EJI OGBE...
OYEKU MEJI...
IWORI MEJI...
ODU MEJI....
OKANRAN MEJI...
IROSUN MEJI...
OWONRIN MEJI...
OGUNDA MEJI...
OSA MEJI...
IRETE MEJI... grin
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by africannubian: 5:37pm On Jan 03, 2013
saxywale: I see nothing wrong in studying Ifa, It's one of UNESCOs heritage culture. This is highly commendable.
Note: This is not an advertisement

The Ifa Heritage Institute, Nigeria is the only Higher
Education institution in the world that specializes in
the study of all aspects of Yoruba indigenous culture.
In November 2005, UNESCO (United Nations
Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)
proclaimed Ifá as one of the 86 traditions of the world
to be regarded as Masterpieces of the Oral and
Intangible Heritage of Humanity. UNESCO then
enjoined all nations and peoples of the world to give
their unflinching support to these traditions so that
they would not perish.

The Ifa Heritage Institute is a post-secondary
institution in Oyo Town, Oyo State, Nigeria, sponsored
in part by UNESCO and endorsed by the Federal
Government of Nigeria. The objective of the Institute
is the preservation and propagation of Ifá as an
indigenous African body of knowledge within the
settings of a modern and contemporary educational
system.

In the past three years, the Ifa Heritage Institute has
developed programs on Ifa and other aspects of
Yoruba culture, and taught those programs
successfully to three sets of students, two sets of
which have already graduated.

The Institute is grateful to the Japanese Government
for their donation which has enabled us to acquire a
VSAT, video satellite capability. We are hoping to be
able, during the coming academic year, to develop
online programs which will facilitate participation of
interested students from around the world. This will
not preclude international students from coming
physically to Oyo to enroll in our diploma program,
but will be an additional way interested persons can
participate in the program.

FACULTIES of the IFA HERITAGE INSTITUTE are as
follows:

1.Department of Ifá Studies The vastness of the
knowledge contained within the Ifa divination system
is almost unfathomable. In this department, students
will be taught the rudiments of Ifá divination, focusing
especially on chanting and interpretation of Ifá
stories. We would like to preserve the orality of Ifá;
therefore the primary focus of the Faculty of Ifa
Studies is the oral memorization of Ifá literary verses
and the interpretation of the same. There are 256
Odù of Ifá. Each Odù contains 800 stories, yielding a
total of 204,800 stories that deal with different
aspects of Yoruba mythology, history, medicine,
philosophy and other ideas. Each Odù can be
regarded as an oral or unwritten "book" of this
comprehensive compendium of knowledge. Students
will learn verses from each of the 256 Odu, their
meanings and practical application.

2.Department of Languages The languages to be
taught in this department are Yoruba, English,
Spanish, Portuguese and French. This department will
focus on both the oral and written forms of the
Yoruba language so that students who complete the
program would be able to speak the Yoruba language
very well and also be very literate in the subject. The
English language will also not be neglected. The need
to include Portuguese and Spanish is because these
are the two languages which the teeming millions of
Yoruba people in the Diaspora speak, especially in
Cuba and Brazil. Of course, we all know that our
brothers and sisters in Benin and Togo Republic speak
French in addition to the Yoruba language. English
and Yoruba will be compulsory, and each student
should pick one of the remaining three languages.

3.Department of Medicine All the herbs in the
Yoruba floral and fauna are believed to have been
named and categorized by Ifá and his younger
brother Osanyin since very ancient times. In the
Department of Medicine, we will devote our attention
to the study of our indigenous medical practices,
therapeutics and pharmacopia. Time will be devoted
to the identification of medicinal leaves, roots, and
barks of trees, the preparation and administration of
different forms of medicines, and how to diagnose
and treat illnesses in the indigenous African way. The
Ààreèsègùn, chief Medicine Man elected by the entire
community of indigenous healers, will play the lead
role in this department.

4.Department of Performing Arts In the department
of Performing Arts we will teach the music and dance
associated with Ifá in West Africa and in the African
Diaspora, such as bata music, dùndún music, and
music made from iron gongs called agogo, which is
the most favorite dance step of Babalawos and
Iyanifas. Theoretical instruction will be complemented
by real live performances and instruction delivered by
local experts in the respective arts.

5.Department of Indigenous Technology In this
department, we will focus on the mechanisms,
machinery, tools and materials required for the
production of beadworks, metal works/blacksmithing,
calabash-carving, preparation of indigo dye-stuffs,
and other indigenous textile products. Computer
technology and design will also be an important part
of the curricula.

For more information on the Ifa Heritage Institute
please visit
www.ifaheritage.org
or Professor Wande Abimbola's website.
http://www.wandeabimbola.com/ifa-heritage-institute-oyo-nigeria/
this is really awesome,i will love to participate in the languages course and the one about knowledge of the herbs yoruba culture is really awesome

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by DJDOLA(m): 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2013
Oya nah..now I will now no dat chant very well like agbero niku gbe agbero niku gbe iyen iyami oshoromoniga apani loru olo kiki orun oshalasholo eyin lewe ninu omi shalasholo eyin apani mayoda oya ile

1 Like

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Maxymilliano(m): 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2013
This guy has simply run out of ideas, even Christian Religious Knowledge and Islamic Religious Knowledge that has been included in the curriculum from time immemorial at College levels, where has it gotten us so far in terms?
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by SamAfrik(m): 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2013
I admire yoruba philosophy & history, unfortunately it can hardly be learnt without involving some form of spiritisim. Yoruba mythology is quite interesting, it shares some stories with Greek mythology No wonder its home 2 d strongest churches in Africa
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by gidiMonsta(m): 5:49pm On Jan 03, 2013
abdulkayus: Ifa ko ifo ni, rubbish. Legalising idoltary and ritual. Nw some ppl will take ritual to a higher level and will claim to hav been supported by d government. Any right thinkin muslims or xtains will nt accept dis.
Dis Aregbeshola don dey look lyk a clown to be. Aregbe, u are nt a true muslim, wat u are tryin to condone is shirk.
CIAO

The study of Ifa is not shirk. How can you condemn him as not been a true muslim for being 'Ifa tolerant'? Its reasoning like this that breeds boko haram.

Mind you studying Ifa doesn't take you away from your religion, as long as you don't breach the teachings of your belief.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by shyna501: 5:50pm On Jan 03, 2013
Ogbeni Raufu... ​i can't laff oooo
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by gidiMonsta(m): 5:53pm On Jan 03, 2013
SamAfrik: I admire yoruba philosophy & history, unfortunately it can hardly be learnt without involving some form of spiritisim. Yoruba mythology is quite interesting, it shares some stories with Greek mythology No wonder its home 2 d strongest churches in Africa

That is what an initiative like this hopes to correct. The students get to appreciate the beauty of Ifa mathematics without all the spiritual mumbo jumbo.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 03, 2013
Ifa tuba

Ifa tuse

Ifa ..... wink
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by thirty(m): 5:58pm On Jan 03, 2013
miteolu: Ifa programming or Ifa science
'ife technology'. Stupid things in mordern age.
Fear Allah and HIS wrath.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by DollyParton1(f): 5:58pm On Jan 03, 2013
Isnt Ifa a religion also?
Why are people saying its a cultural thing.
From the little I remember, they have Ifa festival or whatever that is, which is synonymous as a religious festival, and they offer sacrifices also just like every other traditional religion.
It better be optional tho.
God forbid that I'm forced to study Ifa
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by SamAfrik(m): 6:01pm On Jan 03, 2013
Interestingly, the same dedication our fore-fathers used in worshipping their gods, is the same dedication this present generation is using to serve God.
There is something just too unique/special about the yorubas.
Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by DollyParton1(f): 6:04pm On Jan 03, 2013
This pisure makes it look interesting tho, funkified Ifa class

Re: Osun Students To Study Ifa – Aregbesola by redsun(m): 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2013
He should have banned the study of christianity and islam,unless of course he will allow the chidren to be taught the true fundamental horrific origins of the two foreign mind enslaving racist religions.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

WAEC Result Upgrade Is Fake See Why You Should Not Do It / Olabisi Onabanjo University Admission Merit List Is Out. / 'Bauchi Girls Quit Schools To Raise Funds For Their Wedding’ - Maryam Begel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.