Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,540 members, 7,808,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) (262348 Views)

Athiesm The "No God" Religion / Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion / Atheism: The “No-God” Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) by Lermontov: 12:39am On Sep 30, 2016
The interesting thing about the argument that there is no evidence for God's existence is that it just isn't true. We live in a highly tuned for life universe, containing life that is; self replicating, self adapting, self healing, self aware, self programming, self refuelling, autonomous, sentient, specialized for a purpose, complex and integrated as systems.

I am not aware of any such systems being observed coming into existence spontaneously without any apparent intelligently directed energy applied to them. Theories such as evolution rely only on observations of the way things are and interpreting them through pre-existing assumptions, or of observing very limited lateral variation of existing genetic information. "DNA sequencing" (DNA similarities more correct) for example is effectively saying; "The way things got to where they are now is by the mechanism of evolution, and the proof that that is true is the way things are". Its circular reasoning that creationists could of course evoke with as much justification. I'm not aware of any experiment or observation that supports the assumption that those limited or biased observations can justifiably be extrapolated to the assumption that the same processes or mechanisms can create complex information in the first place.

For example if working DNA first arose as the result of undirected chemical reactions, then it should be the easiest thing to replicate this in the lab. The objection that it takes millions of years doesn't apply in controlled conditions. If we knew how it happened, it should be easy to replicate the entire process and the steps required at accelerated rates.

What we do know, and presumably no sane person will argue with this, is that the results of "intelligent design" surround us every day. Thus we know that it takes intelligent design to create man's technology, intelligent design is therefore axiomatic as an agent of creation compared to non directed processes, yet man's technology is child's play compared to living things. Review the list of the attributes of living things I started with, and you'll have to agree that most of man's technology includes only a handful of them.

If such complexity as our technology needs energy added in an intelligently directed way, then its not unreasonable to argue that far more complex biological life may require an even greater technology or intelligence directing the energy. Of course that intelligence or consciousness could exist as an underlying field that permeates all of existence, so that while people say god can't be seen, they may be staring at him all the time and just not perceive it. Indeed all living things could in fact be vehicles by which god chooses to express his personality through a myriad of life experiences and situations. Each god sliver "forgets" its origin while in a physical body so that its experiences seem real.

The arguments against god on the basis of objecting to aspects of religion is a complete straw man. Religion may be merely attempts by the god particles in all of us to express the forgotten truth about our origins. All religions contain truth, AND fiction. They actually set the stage for conflict and challenge between us, which to me is exactly what life is about. We all have our journeys and our beliefs, perhaps agreed to us before we were born, shape our journey and who we are in this life, in order to confront us with moral choices and challenge.

Religion is a bit like a child's expression of how a Boeing 747 works. They may have got the details completely wrong, and not really understand how it works (yet), but that doesn't mean the basic concept of the aircraft is a fairy-tale.

The atheist view that the universe is not an intended creation, but somehow results in creative intelligence when none originally existed seems the less logical of the two positions. It could be right, but I see no evidence or logic to support it. However I am well aware that as humans we all believe in something first, then try to construct a logical argument to defend it. Objective logic seldom if ever comes first. Under this accusation I also no doubt stand guilty. The beginning of wisdom is being prepared to accept that you could be completely wrong.
Re: A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) by Boleto7123: 2:50pm On Oct 21, 2016
Hi there, can the author of this list send me an email to boleto7123@gmail.com with the full list in a PDF format? I want to translate to my language.
Re: A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) by LordBabs(m): 12:13am On May 22, 2017
This thread
Re: A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) by Golden6(m): 3:17am On Feb 08, 2019
Re: A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) by Beetunez44(m): 2:49pm On Jan 18

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Marine Spirits...what Are They?how To Identify Them And Defeat Them. / Testimony Of A Former Devil Worshiper - Nonkoliso Ngeleka / 20 Common Dreams And Spiritual Warfare (please Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.