Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine (20412 Views)

1000km Journey Using A 1.5L Petrol Engine Part II / 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL / Diesel To Petrol Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by Ogojohn(m): 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2013
I was wondering possible it will be to convert my vehicle to a diesel engine without going through the hassles of ECU change and wiring. I need suggestions.
Re: How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jan 03, 2013
Ogojohn: I was wondering possible it will be to convert my vehicle to a diesel engine without going through the hassles of ECU change and wiring. I need suggestions.

Not possible without replacing the engine wiring and ECU. You also need different fuel tank and fuel lines. Better to sell your petrol-engined car and buy a diesel model.

What car is it anyway? What year, model and current engine size / capacity?
Re: How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by Amaizu(m): 1:23am On Jan 04, 2013
Sorry to derail this topic.Siena,pls i have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo,LS,4WD,V6,3.2L with a faulty auto gear transmission.A cousin who is returning from Texas to Nigeria in Jan said he saw a good and cheap 2003 Isuzu Rodeo Auto Gearbox at a good price.My Question is whether the 03 gearbox would match with my 01 engine.the 2001 and 2003 appear same in all respects.I'll follow your Advice.
Re: How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by Nobody: 1:47am On Jan 04, 2013
Amaizu: Sorry to derail this topic.Siena,pls i have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo,LS,4WD,V6,3.2L with a faulty auto gear transmission.A cousin who is returning from Texas to Nigeria in Jan said he saw a good and cheap 2003 Isuzu Rodeo Auto Gearbox at a good price.My Question is whether the 03 gearbox would match with my 01 engine.the 2001 and 2003 appear same in all respects.I'll follow your Advice.

The '03 tranny will physically bolt to your '01 engine and chassis. The thing to be careful about is the electronic side of things. Make sure the electrical plugs from your automobile are compatible with the sockets on the side of the transmission. Manufacturer's tend to have revisions throughout the life of a production model.

The best way to be sure is to compare the transmission codes on your '01 and the replacement '03. And if you're in doubt, I would communicate with your cousin, and give him the code to take into an Isuzu dealership, where they'll be able to advice on compatibility.

Good luck!
Re: How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by Ogojohn(m): 7:27am On Jan 04, 2013
MITSUBISHI SIGMA. 1993 MODEL. 3.0 LITRE ENGINE.
Re: How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2013
Ogojohn: MITSUBISHI SIGMA. 1993 MODEL. 3.0 LITRE ENGINE.

Not possible to just slap in a diesel engine, without the matching ECU and wiring harness. You'll also need a diesel gearbox too.

Why do you actually want to convert a smooth, powerful V6 petrol to a rough, I4 diesel?? Bear in mind, there was no diesel option in your car, so any diesel engine sourced will bear no relationship whatsoever to your car. It'll have to be engineered to fit - read as your car will be cut / welded to accept the alien configuration. You are going to ruin your car, make it almost impossible to sell on, and cause yourself untold heartache.

So just curious - why the desire to convert to diesel??
Re: How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by akanxpress: 10:18am On Jan 07, 2013
Ogojohn, you want to reduce maintenance & fueling headache, kindly ask Misubishi mechanics about mounting complete Mitsubishi Galant 1.8L petrol engine, if they can do it for you, that will much easier
Re: How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by Ogojohn(m): 7:44pm On Jan 07, 2013
ARE YOU TALKING THROUGH EXPERIENCE OR JUST GUESS WORK.
Re: How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine by akanxpress: 10:48am On Jan 09, 2013
No not from experience. But suggestion. I've tried studying about Sigma online and incline to believe that a not rich folk need to do something to save his pocket and mind with Mit. Sigma.
My suggestion: kindly ask of competent mechanics about the possibility of planting and wiring in a smaller economical petrol engine. Findings from 3 - 5 technicians will be useful to guide you.
Endeavour to share your findings, it will help. if I get any positive feedback, I'll relay same

(1) (Reply)

Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company (IVM) Launches An Auto Finance Scheme / Where In Lagos Are The Best Car Washes / Turned My Phase II Peugeot 607 V6 To A Maniac!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.