Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! (2138 Views)

New Peak Power Generation Record Of 4883.9MW - TCN / Again, TCN Records New Power Transmission Peak Of 4662MW / Lagos-ibadan Expressway: President Jonathan Lies Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Bkl4real: 10:26pm On Jan 03, 2013
INVESTIGATION/SPECIAL REPORTS, NEWS.
“Now, we are generating more than 5,000MW,” another false statement by President Jonathan?
The Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, has said that at no time had the country’s electricity generation capacity reached a peak of 5,000 megawatts, MW.
This contradicts President Goodluck Jonathan’s claim during his third Presidential media chat last November that the combined average power generation capacity from all the power plants in the country moved from less than 3,000 MW in 2007 to a new peak capacity above 5,000 MW.
The President had listed the 5,000MW power generation capacity as one of his administration’s major achievements under the Power Sector Reform agenda.
“Power is one area Nigerians appreciate we are moving. We are yet to get 24 hours of light in our cities, but you would agree with me the difference is clear,” the president told the panel of interviewers, which consisted of Muhammed Abubakar of Nigerian Television Authority, NTA; Martins Oloja of the Guardian; Ikedi Isighuzor of Vanguard and Gbemi Olujobi of the National Mirror.
“We moved, in 2007, from about a little below 3,000 MW production average.
“Now, we are generating more than 5,000MW (of electricity).
“But because of weak transmission infrastructure, we cannot evacuate,” the president said.
As at the time President made the claim, TCN, the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, successor company in charge of monitoring electricity transmission data in the country, had given 4,321.3MW as the country’s power generation capacity as at August, 31, 2012.
President’s Spokesman, Reuben Abati, and the Special Adviser to the Minister of Power, Garubadeen Mohammed, did not respond to calls and mails sent to them seeking clarification on the source of the President’s controversial figure.
But, the Assistant General Manager, Public Affairs of TCN, Dave Ifabiyi, said on Wednesday during a telephone chat from Abuja that at no time had the country’s power generation capacity neared 5,000 MW.
“There was never a time like that (5,000MW generation capacity), never. The highest peak generation of 4,517.6 MW was achieved on December 23, 2012,” Mr. Ifabiyi said.
Click the orange button bellow to listen to Mr Ifabiyi.
The TCN spokesman, said in a previous statement, that a new peak power generation capacity of 4,502.2 MW was achieved on December 21, 2012, an improvement on the 4,454.1 MW achieved on December 19.
He attributed the achievement to the commitment of the President to fulfill his promise to Nigerians on improved electricity supply.
Mr. Ifabiyi dispelled any insinuation that the TCN was probably not evacuating all the generated electricity when he said that transmission and distribution companies would continue to harness “every available generation to ensure delivery of stable electricity supply” even as more National Integrated Power Projects, NIPPs became functional.
This is not the first time President Jonathan would be making a public statement that turned out to be false.
In his Independence Day broadcast to Nigerians on October 1, the president had claimed that “In its latest report, Transparency International (TI) noted that Nigeria is the second most improved country in the effort to curb corruption.”
The claim turned out to be false.
Following a PREMIUM TIMES enquiry, Transparency International stated that it “does not have a recent rating or report that places Nigeria as the second most improved country in the fight against corruption.
The latest Transparency International Corruption Index report later released placed Nigeria as the 35th most corrupt country in the world.
The president is yet to apologise to Nigerians for that goof, just as he may not apologise for this.
TCN to improve operations
The TCN Chief Executive Officer, Olusola Akinniranye, said the company would not relent in its efforts to ensure that the transmission grid functions effectively for greater efficiency.
Mr. Akinniranye said part of that effort is to restore the Benin-Egbin 330kV line as well as complete the new transmission/distribution interface projects to further enhance the company’s power evacuation capacity.
He appealed to electricity consumers to continue to partner with TCN in protecting electricity installations and forestall vandalism, which he said was constituting a major setback to efforts to improve electricity supplies.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/113699-jonathan-lies-again-tcn-faults-presidents-power-generation-claims.html
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by killuminati(m): 10:32pm On Jan 03, 2013
B¤¤ked space.
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by GARRIx7(m): 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2013
Press Release: The Presidency, The Shame of a Nation by Garri (x7)

Goodluck Egbere "Agbaya" Jonathan is one public office holder who seems to stagger from one pillar of shame to a post of disgrace and infamy. Never before has a President lied blatantly to a nation as GEJ has been doing with reckless abandon.

He does all he can to misinform and deceive Nigerians on various issues even when telling the truth wouldn't bring a negative outcome.

Jonathan has become a SERIAL LIAR, deceiving the masses with fictitious statistics and spurious claims. This is shameful and embarrassing not only to Mr President and his team, but also to the 160 million Nigerians over whom he presides. If the number 1 citizen of a nation is PROVEN to be an unrepentant liar, how then will Nigerians ßξ respected by citizens of other nations.

Not to be forgotten also is his numerous electoral promise which he has failed to keep. The deceptive nature or Mr. President is made more manifest on a daily basis.

Let us therefore be resolved to vote out this SERIAL LIAR, PROMISE BREAKER, Corrupt, Inept, wasteful ‎​Άnd clueless MAN out of power in 2015. We deserve better as a people.

God Bless Nairaland,

God Bless Nigeria,

Yours sincerely,

Garri (x7),

Executive Secretary (Controversial) of GPAN.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by OsunOriginal: 10:53pm On Jan 03, 2013
And where is the power in my house or in the office? We still run on generator everyday - my laptop is powered by a gen as I am typing now. What is the noise about 5000 Mega Watts even when I pay 7k monthly now instead of 2k I used to pay?
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by AbdulAdam56(m): 11:01pm On Jan 03, 2013
I dont give a damn cool
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Clerverly: 11:11pm On Jan 03, 2013
This retardeen likes quoting bogus figures to deceive, Transparency International rating comes to mind angry angry angry
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by GARRIx7(m): 11:19pm On Jan 03, 2013
Clerverly: This retardeen likes quoting bogus figures to deceive, Transparency International rating comes to mind angry angry angry

Very shameful I tell you...

.... And he has a Ph.D..... undecided
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by lacasa: 11:53pm On Jan 03, 2013
Just to hear or see that name Goodlluck Jonathan makes me want to break bottle on someone's head angry angry angry
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Gbawe: 12:05am On Jan 04, 2013
lacasa: Just to hear or see that name Goodlluck Jonathan makes me want to break bottle on someone's head angry angry angry

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@topic.

GEJ lied? Surprise , surprise. Asking GEJ not to lie is like expecting the pope not to pray.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by taharqa: 12:08am On Jan 04, 2013
Hehehehe..... DESPERATION!!. PT (EL Rufai et al) and the resident Goons (propagandists) just had to find something, didnt they? grin grin

I probably would not have attempted to even 'humour' this with any response; but ehmm, just to make a clarification and later an important point.

This was the President's words:

“We moved, in 2007, from about a little below 3,000 MW production average.
“Now, we are generating more than 5,000MW (of electricity).
But because of weak transmission infrastructure, we cannot evacuate,” the president said.

Some IGNORANT peeps do not know that Nigeria always had the ability to produce more power than she can actually successfully wheel to the public; in fact, even today Nigeria can generate more than 6000MWs of Electricity BUT for some factors that makes this impracticable, if not impossible for now. Some of those factors include insufficient (or unpredictable) gas supply, broken (or inefficient) units in power plants at any time, and critically inability to effective wheel (ie TRANSMIT and to some extent DISTRIBUTE) the generated power. This was why sometime during Yar'adua's time we produced 3800MW of Electricity and foolishly tried wheeling ALL of it to the power grid, resulting in a near complete SYSTEMS crash in less than 2 days that took public power supply to less than 2000MWs which we didnt recover from for some months.

My interpretation of what the President said was that Nigeria could produce more than 5000MWs of Electricity BUT (and this is usually a key OPERATIVE word in sentences where it appears) we dont wheel that much to the public cos we cant sustain it. The @emboldened of his quote supports this interpretation. At the time the Preident make this comment, we could wheel between 4000-4200MW of Electricity, but can now wheel between 4300-4500MW successfully.

The other point I wanted to make ( which is what really matters at the end of the day for millions of Nigerians anyways) is that GEJ met public power supply at less than 2800MW (some people will tell you less than 2500Mw, while others would say less than 2000MW- they are all correct cos the power supply then was very unstable) BUT has NOW stabilized it at between 4300- 4500MW (ie almost DOUBLED it) in 2 years. If other leaders were going at this rate, we would not have found ourselves in the present state that we are, which without missing words, is still far from where we ought to be. The Good thing though is that IT IS STILL IMPROVING, and would esp do so this year.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by PaulJohn1: 12:12am On Jan 04, 2013
Gbawe:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@topic.

GEJ lied? Surprise , surprise. Asking GEJ not to lie is like expecting the pope not to pray.

How far now! grin grin grin grin
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Alxmyr(m): 12:16am On Jan 04, 2013
All this bread and butter, pull him down at all cost headlines that says nothing about the body will never end on nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by PaulJohn1: 12:18am On Jan 04, 2013
GARRI (x7):

.... And he has a Ph.D ..... undecided

In Zoology at omukoro inter-community development international scientific grammar school Aba.
School for the shoeless fishermen
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 04, 2013
*sighs* Not again... cry
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by taharqa: 1:22am On Jan 04, 2013
While we are at this topic, READ plz:

As 2012 closed, President Jonathan records another high in power supply, On December 23, 2012 the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry generated 4,500 megawatts. This is a significant improvement if we consider where we were in 2010 when President Jonathan assumed office as Acting President.

Of course, we are still nowhere in sight of the hullabaloo 40,000 megawatts of Vision 2020. And many homes and businesses have not witnessed much improvement in power supply in spite of the increase in generation. But there is a great difference between 2000mws in 2010 and 4,500mws in 2012 considering the long gestation period for power projects.

As the regulator of the sector, to see the year close at about 4,500 megawatts is a prediction come true. In July 2012, as electricity generation picked up after the massive drop in hydro power, there was so much reckless optimism in the air as many delighted public officials promised that we will end the year at about 9,000 megawatts. I knew that such expectation was unfounded because the fundamentals of the electricity industry do not assure such massive haulage of power.

I knew that it will be totally unrealistic to expect the NIPP to fire all its plants or even most of it before the end of the year, even as NIPP managers work very hard. I knew also that as much as the handshake between gas and power is getting firmer and the regulatory frameworks of the two sectors are more effectively interfacing, we still can’t expect delivery of gas to all the scheduled power plants in such a short time.

As a regulator, I crunched at the data coming from operators and debunked the expectation of 9,000 megawatts. But I promised that we will hit a princely 4,500 megawatts by December 2012 which is a significant increase from the 3,600 megawatts at that time.

In June 1, 2012 the electricity sector regulator — NERC — released the Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO-2). The MYTO had some set of inbuilt assumptions about the macroeconomic fundamentals that will affect generation, transmission and distribution of electricity. Some of them are inflation rate, exchange rate and cost of gas. It also has sets of technical assumptions like the generation availability, the power factor and the percentage of power sent out to the grid. MYTO subjects itself to biannual minor reviews to track changes in these variables.

Last week, NERC completed the minor review and the good news is that there were no significant deviations from the predictions of NERC to warrant a change in the wholesale price of electricity. Getting it right is important to driving the reform in the power sector. Unfounded optimism may lead to misappraisal of the gains of the sector and induce a loss of morale in steering forward the reform.

The key insight is that predictive power depends on ability to comprehensively assemble data and to analyze them intelligently. My prediction of 4,500 megawatts derived from the financial and technical assumptions which NERC used to build the Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO-2) model.

MYTO has restored confidence in the Nigerian electricity supply industry. It is that confidence that will enable Nigeria to generate and effectively transmit and distribute 40,000 megawatts in 2020 or soon thereafter. The restoration of confidence of international and domestic financial markets in Nigeria’s electricity market is the singular most important achievement of President Jonathan and not the growth in generation capacity, as desirable as it may be.

This is so because it is such confidence that will ensure periodic haulage of megawatts in a sustainable manner to keep pace with growth in population and energy demand. Even if by some miracle we cranked out 9,000 megawatts by end of 2012 and the market structure, including its financial protocols, does not guarantee prudent and efficient investment in the sector yearly, we will soon hit the bottom as we did in the late 1990s when per capita wattage became one of the lowest in the world.

President Jonathan can take pride as the president who created a real market of electricity in Nigeria. It is true that a robust electricity market is yet to emerge. But the building blocks are mostly in place. The President’s singular determination to reestablish the regulator and allow its independence was a game-changer.

Let us not forget that the nascent power sector was truncated and no foreign investment came for power projects when President Yar’Adua was ill-advised to disrupt the work of the regulatory commission. President Jonathan’s commitment to uphold the integrity of the regulated markets makes the difference between the old and the new.

Now, the success of the privatization of under-performing state assets is clearly in sight. The credit should go to both Professor Barth Nnaji and Ms Bola Onagoruwa who tenaciously pushed the wagon to the finishing line. But you get nowhere if President Jonathan and his deputy who chairs the National Council on Privatization do not guarantee a stable political and policy environment for privatization.

President Jonathan’s unusual transparency and disinterest in who becomes the preferred bidders shifted the mode from cynicism to enthusiasm. The history of such reforms in the past in this part of the world is a story of audacious takeover by the big man upstairs. Here in Nigeria, the world was pleasantly surprised at the rigorous process set up to guarantee that preferred bidders are competitive on technical and financial proposals.

They could not believe that Nigeria could present such quality of information and processes that encourage credible bidders to enter the game. The Nigerian power privatization is being studied as possibly the largest single privatization in electricity industry in the world.

—Dr. Amadi is chairman and chief executive officer of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC)

TO BE CONTINUED

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/columns/44037/2013/01/03/power_supply_prediction_comes_true_1.html
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by mankevo(m): 1:39am On Jan 04, 2013
Taharqa, try get yourself a better job doing.
You will understand the s-h-i-t you people are plunging Nigeria into when you cross our borders.
I can see how you breathlessly make 100 posts in one topic to defend your wages, but one day you'll step out of that nation and face the ''desert you have brought to our faces''
I dont say you should not ''try to perform'' in order to justify your pay, but dont take it personal because one day you will be out and another in.
If you dont know how it'll pain then, ask El-Rufai

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by taharqa: 1:48am On Jan 04, 2013
mankevo: Taharqa, try get yourself a better job doing.
You will understand the s-h-i-t you people are plunging Nigeria into when you cross our borders.
I can see how you breathlessly make 100 posts in one topic to defend your wages, but one day you'll step out of that nation and face the ''desert you have brought to our faces''
I dont say you should not ''try to perform'' in order to justify your pay, but dont take it personal because one day you will be out and another in.
lol....take dat ya advice and shove it up ya azzz, mate...
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Nobody: 2:16am On Jan 04, 2013
This is obviously another OWN GOAL by Premium Times. Yes, Mr president may not be good at quoting figures and percentages (which is really not the work of the president, but that of the ministers, heads of dept and agencies of govt) but no amount of propaganda can change the FACTS that:
1) on ground, many Nigerians are begining to see improved power supply to their homes.
https://www.nairaland.com/1144376/public-power-supply-continues-improve
2) actual power generated and transmitted has doubled over the last 2yrs to all time peak of 4,500MW.
Again, Mr president was most likely refering to the total power generation capacity that is available to be wheeled out if other variables, particularly gas is available. If that was the case, then Mr president was right because it is in excess of 5,000MW.
But whatever megawatts generated, transmitted and distributed is immaterial. What really matters is how many hours you and I get to see public power supply in our homes and offices. For me, power supply from the time of the holidays till now, has been fantastic.
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by nduchucks: 2:42am On Jan 04, 2013
taharqa:
My interpretation of what the President said was that Nigeria could produce more than 5000MWs of Electricity BUT (and this is usually a key OPERATIVE word in sentences where it appears) we dont wheel that much to the public cos we cant sustain it.

I actually believe that power generation is not our main power problem. With money and proximity to natural gas, any willing government can buy and install prefabricated power plants within months and generate additional 5000MW. The problem is that, since power cannot be stored, we may end up exporting the generated power because as you pointed out we can't sustain that much power.

The key to the solution of our uninterruptible power supply problem, is the complete deregulation of the power distribution and transmission systems. With these assets in the hands of for-profit organizations, they will be well maintained and power supply will become steady. For now, our experts from Enugu, Owerri, Nsukka e.t.c continue to steal remove copper and other assets from the transmission and distribution lines with impunity. When these assets are completely transferred to private owners, the problem will disappear overnight.

I am not impressed by any purported success in power generation. What we have come to accept as success is actually a disgrace of an achievement.
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by TonySpike: 5:14am On Jan 04, 2013
Let's assume that Nigeria is indeed generating 4,500 MW, that is too shameful. The city of Johannesburg, SA consumes 2,500 MW and Durban, SA consumes 1,500 MW. This means that a total of two cities in SA consumes just 4,000 MW, only 500 MW short of what our 'great' Nigeria is beating its chest over. This is very disgraceful!!!!
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by omenka(m): 7:41am On Jan 04, 2013
GARRI (x7):

.... And he has a Ph.D..... undecided
Im not even sure he deserved that Doctorate. Once heard that he failed to defend his dissertation thrice, was on the verge of gettin thrown out of the program b4 the then gov, Alams, intervened to save him the embarasment given his position as the deputy governor.
Can that man even correctly reference an article, let alone write a thesis?
I believe every bit of that story given what I've seen so far. The way he talks, his grammer, hand gestures, facial expressions, unnesesary smiles, dressing, and whole body language bespeaks an uninteligeant man...
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by 2Legit2Qui: 7:57am On Jan 04, 2013
Pull him down at all cost. What a shame.
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by 2Legit2Qui: 8:01am On Jan 04, 2013
Tony Spike: Let's assume that Nigeria is indeed generating 4,500 MW, that is too shameful. The city of Johannesburg, SA consumes 2,500 MW and Durban, SA consumes 1,500 MW. This means that a total of two cities in SA consumes just 4,000 MW, only 500 MW short of what our 'great' Nigeria is beating its chest over. This is very disgraceful!!!!

OK. We heard you. But at least give it up to someone who has added 1500MW, if past administrations have added 1000mw each year, you will know what we would have been talking about by now.
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by daryoor(m): 8:07am On Jan 04, 2013
u guys mentionin south africa should shut up.
Nuclear is more efficient than hydro & gas. Before gej got there their power has been 40,000 so stop comparing.
Our slow(as u guys call him) presdt has doubled the power generating capacity and we are close to certain it gon get better. What else do you want from him??!!
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by jmaine: 8:29am On Jan 04, 2013
mankevo: Taharqa, try get yourself a better job doing.

The Usual empty talk from folks bereft of adequate counters to intelligent posters

Do us a favor by disproving all what Taharqa wrote

We are waiting to hear from the "Freelance Nairaland crews"
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Omen100(m): 8:51am On Jan 04, 2013
booked & will be right back to utilize it.
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by gbadexy(m): 10:25am On Jan 04, 2013
Am with tarharqa on this.
Although our president has transparency issue in •̸Ϟ•̸y own opinion.
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Demdem(m): 11:00am On Jan 04, 2013
2Legit2Qui: Pull him down at all cost. What a shame.

My friend shut up. If the retardeen didn't lie on live TV to his citizens, will this thread even exist?
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by 2Legit2Qui: 11:07am On Jan 04, 2013
Demdem:

My friend shut up. If the retardeen didn't lie on live TV to his citizens, will this thread even exist?

To hell with you eediot for calling me your friend. You retar.ded mofo. Who is your friend? Dun.ce.

A person like you who has severe hatred against the person of the President is not fit to live amongst humans. You are a moro.n if you reply to this comment. Paid critic.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Demdem(m): 11:11am On Jan 04, 2013
2Legit2Qui:

OK. We heard you. But at least give it up to someone who has added 1500MW, if past administrations have added 1000mw each year, you will know what we would have been talking about by now.

I agree, other killer party admin were terrible but that doesn't mean the present acheivement should be overblown. It's still poor.
Why should it take us years to build and evacuate just few hundreds of megawatts. Are we inventing anything new? What is the cost of this 1500mw and even the duration? Does it make sense?
See what China was doing as at 2007 below. Am not saying we should compete with them but at least acheiving less than half of that isn't out of place.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6769743.stm
Re: President Jonathan Lies Again, TCN Faults Power Generation Claims! by Demdem(m): 11:13am On Jan 04, 2013
2Legit2Qui:

To hell with you eediot for calling me your friend. You retar.ded mofo. Who is your friend? Dun.ce.

A person like you who has severe hatred against the person of the President is not fit to live amongst humans. You are a moro.n if you reply to this comment. Paid critic.

Fool, the retardeen lied. Deal with that. I don't hate him, no reasons to at all even if I do, does that explain this foolishness on live tv.
U sound so daft. Really daft.

(1) (2) (Reply)

B-r-e-a-k-i-n-g News: 2 Boko Haram Members Caught Planting Bomb At A Catholic C / President Jonathan Live In Ekiti and Ondo / Imo APC Disowns Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.