Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,470 members, 7,781,367 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:16 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (460106 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:29pm On Apr 27, 2012
pls i have a little issue. and i really hate it.

my yahoomail account never works in thunderbird or any email client at all on any platform thank God it at least works on my phones

abeg why? who has an idea why that may be. i already enabled pop forwarding in my account
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:41am On Apr 28, 2012
4llerbuntu: pls i have a little issue. and i really hate it.

my yahoomail account never works in thunderbird or any email client at all on any platform thank God it at least works on my phones

abeg why? who has an idea why that may be. i already enabled pop forwarding in my account
I think it should be problem with the configuration. You never stated what the error message was. I had same problem with Thunderbird for the simple reason you have to pay to use the service on Yahoo!Mail while it works with Gmail for free. If you are looking for free Yahoo!Mail client service you should use Evolution mail client. The IMAP works well with if for free service. It is as follows:

Step I:

Get into your Evolution settings

Step II

In Receiving email :

Serve type: IMAP
Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port:993
Username: your yahoomail address here
Use secured connection: SSL Encryption
Authenticate type: Checked --> remember password

In Sending Email:
Server type: SMTP and checked --> server require authentication
Server:smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 25
Use secure connection: No Encryption
Authentication type: PLAIN and check for support type
Username: Your yahoomail address with @ sign
Remember password: leave it unchecked

NB: However, IMAP is known to be less secured when compare to pop. However, it requires technical explanation to understand it venerability.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:24am On Apr 28, 2012
@all4naija
are u saying thunderbird doesn't support imap? that would be a shame
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:21am On Apr 28, 2012
blackweaver: i'm using the usb and getting it to work on linux is inconvenient cos there are no known drivers, i had to install windows in a vm and share the internet connection
Yeah, I used the multi user communication hub. Dunno about the USB, never tried it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 28, 2012
blackweaver: @all4naija
are u saying thunderbird doesn't support imap? that would be a shame
It does but one has to pay for the service. Another thing is that Thunderbird doesn't support free services for Yahoo!Mail.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:53am On Apr 30, 2012
all4naija: I think it should be problem with the configuration. You never stated what the error message was. I had same problem with Thunderbird for the simple reason you have to pay to use the service on Yahoo!Mail while it works with Gmail for free. If you are looking for free Yahoo!Mail client service you should use Evolution mail client.

really?

i have forgotten the error, dont think there's any, it just never log on. but is this not enough reason to stop thunderbird being default? yikes

thanks. i'l try evolution tho i do believe it also never worked in the past. i will download it and try
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 12:20pm On Apr 30, 2012
Just got stunt by a bug in 12.04: It cant connect to WPA/WPA2 enterprise wireless networks.

It would connect really, but you cant do anything...no even a direct ping to a another machine on your network. I've been struggling all morning to get a work around, so far there has been several users that have reported the bug but no fixes.

I am stuck with 2 options:
1. Downgrade to 11.10 (that works without issues) or
2. Fall back to Windows 7 (on dual boot)

sad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:26am On May 02, 2012
solved.

streaming radio on webpages like coolfm can be opened with totem. let it load in the browser, rightclick and open in totem.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:19pm On May 02, 2012
Yikes can't have my Zend Server work on 12.04 sad stuck with regular PHP 5.3
Re: Ubuntu Linux by eazydammy(m): 7:21pm On May 06, 2012
instinct: @jogego

please can i get a copy of UBUNTU. I have suse 9.0 running. i need something better. heres my email address neoinstinct01@yahoo.com

yeah, just go to www.ubuntu.com and get yours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:53am On May 25, 2012
my good people, how una dey?

long time no hear, i hope all is well with your UNIX life.

if so, doxology.. grin grin grin grin grin

pls iv got a wee little problem. the time on my pc keeps going back late by about 30 mins thereabout. when i update it online it gets accurate, but the moment i use a browser to open any page it goes back by that exact number of minutes.

i have checked my time zones settings etc and it is ok. Wetin i go do na, as timestamp no dey correct nko?

i tire abeg make una help me ooo wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:53am On May 25, 2012
4llerbuntu: my good people, how una dey?

long time no hear, i hope all is well with your UNIX life.

if so, doxology.. grin grin grin grin grin

pls iv got a wee little problem. the time on my pc keeps going back late by about 30 mins thereabout. when i update it online it gets accurate, but the moment i use a browser to open any page it goes back by that exact number of minutes.

i have checked my time zones settings etc and it is ok. Wetin i go do na, as timestamp no dey correct nko?

i tire abeg make una help me ooo wink

Oga na who u offend o this one wey everytime u dey get issue wey no one else fit solve sef?
me i just set my hardware clock to local time (not utc) so it's never updated online by any "stupid" (in my opinion) time server. Unfortunately i can't remember how to do it at the moment (i usually search online to do it)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:48pm On May 26, 2012
Na so me.sef see am ooo
But i am suspecting mama nkechi. Ever since she offered me her daughter and i refuse.my pc has been mizbehaving.

I seem to suspect that its the.server im bebind that causes it. Will set that one and the pc too and see if its the same

Will look into the local time thingy too sha
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 3:04pm On May 26, 2012
4llerbuntu: Na so me.sef see am ooo
But i am suspecting mama nkechi. Ever since she offered me her daughter and i refuse.my pc has been mizbehaving.

I seem to suspect that its the.server im bebind that causes it. Will set that one and the pc too and see if its the same

Will look into the local time thingy too sha
grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by slimderek(m): 10:18pm On May 27, 2012
how can i get yahoo messenger for ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 27, 2012
slimderek: how can i get yahoo messenger for ubuntu
You can install the old version through wine but with lots of bugs. Indeed don't expect to have video chat to be possible. The obvious alternative ,with better interfaces, is Pidgin.It is a messenger client that can connect to many other messengers like Yahoo!, Live, etc.

I would advice you to use pidgin if you don't want to be debugging your Yahoo! Messenger after installation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 12:26pm On May 28, 2012
all4naija: You can install the old version through wine but with lots of bugs. Indeed don't expect to have video chat to be possible. The obvious alternative ,with better interfaces, is Pidgin.It is a messenger client that can connect to many other messengers like Yahoo!, Live, etc.

I would advice you to use pidgin if you don't want to be debugging your Yahoo! Messenger after installation.
I used gyachi, so far its the only yahoo chat client that supports almost all features of the native yahoo messenger on windows., even webcam. But it hasn't been updated in a long while now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by henryskywalker2003(m): 2:48pm On May 29, 2012
Well, for me, I still prefer empathy to pidgin on ubuntu. It even pulls your avatar and profile pics from yahoo and facebook when you login. But pidgin does have more plugins available than empathy does.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:08am On May 31, 2012
Maleeq:
I used gyachi, so far its the only yahoo chat client that supports almost all features of the native yahoo messenger on windows., even webcam. But it hasn't been updated in a long while now.
That's what has been said about Gyachi. The webcam thing is not working, that's for sure. And building source is way tasking and full of bugs.However, there is not time wasted trying it out for education purposes. Still, I prefer Pidgin to any other message clients available on Ubuntu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 4:41pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: That's what has been said about Gyachi. The webcam thing is not working, that's for sure. And building source is way tasking and full of bugs.However, there is not time wasted trying it out for education purposes. Still, I prefer Pidgin to any other message clients available on Ubuntu.
Currentlly running gyachi on 11.10 with no issues. Webcam works without any tweaks. I only use gyachi when I want to video chat with someone on yahoo, else Empathy all the way for me!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2012
Maleeq:
Currentlly running gyachi on 11.10 with no issues. Webcam works without any tweaks. I only use gyachi when I want to video chat with someone on yahoo, else Empathy all the way for me!
I haven't tried it on 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot but it is not what it is as purported. Anyway, how did your build the source with the webcam?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 6:57pm On Jun 01, 2012
all4naija: I haven't tried it on 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot but it is not what it is as purported. Anyway, how did your build the source with the webcam?
Didn't build from source. Got a PPA with it! grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 01, 2012
Maleeq:
Didn't build from source. Got a PPA with it! grin
I know there is a deb file for Gyache in Ubuntu 11.10 but I haven't tried that out anyway. Now, how do you add the Gyache to the repositories? I would like to try it out on 12.04 LTS beta, I wouldn't mind though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lilkech(m): 3:14pm On Jun 05, 2012
i heard that i could use an android phone to run linux.

How does this work and what added accessories do i need aside from the phone
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:21am On Jun 06, 2012
yes you can but why would you want to?

its not particularly useful given the attendant problem of screen size and touch adaptability of the desktop

usually I'd say u need a very powerful phone with at least 512 to 1gb ram for it to run decently.

u also need prepared image files and not just the stock ISO.

u need root access and ADB, busybox installed. the whole shebang.

it is actually run from VNC so you will need android VNC installed.

truth is its just a proof of concept thing so if you are still interested, Google is your friend. choose the lighter distros such as lubuntu.

I guess its really just for fun anyway, not serious use.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lilkech(m): 6:57am On Jun 06, 2012
^^^

thanx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:50am On Jun 07, 2012
i know this is appropriate for this section, but for those who are into trying out different oses, has any of you tried out the new win8 release preview?
tried it recently, i know i have been a staunch "hater" of the os -particularly because of the metro thingy, but once i found a way to software that returns the regular start menu i found out that it's not so bad actually - AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE TO SEE THAT HATEFUL METRO INTERFACE!
Anyway anyone have any other comments?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jun 07, 2012
blackweaver: i know this is appropriate for this section, but for those who are into trying out different oses, has any of you tried out the new win8 release preview?
tried it recently, i know i have been a staunch "hater" of the os -particularly because of the metro thingy, but once i found a way to software that returns the regular start menu i found out that it's not so bad actually - AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE TO SEE THAT HATEFUL METRO INTERFACE!
Anyway anyone have any other comments?
Yes! I have been using it for over a week now. It is more stable than the Developer and consumer previews. However, it is very user friendly against Windows 7 environment. Currently, the metro shop is functioning efficiently.

I would recommend it any day. The metro would look cool on internet TV. I hope to see Windows goes on internet Tv like the Ubuntu.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.