Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,739 members, 7,802,250 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:35 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (124) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (462737 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by mindtricks: 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2014
blackweaver:

as long as you don't overwrite / delete the recovery partition, i think you should be ok. That said, if your system came with win8 preinstalled, you might want to google up articles on installing Ubuntu on the model of your system - just to be on the safe side

Tnx joor
Re: Ubuntu Linux by wahles(m): 10:36am On Oct 10, 2014
Jst got my aser aspire e1-510, runs on linpus linux lite, d problem is, its not starting up eva since I bought t, it jst brings dis command interface "roo#localhost#.. What might be the problem?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:08pm On Oct 10, 2014
wahles:
Jst got my aser aspire e1-510, runs on linpus linux lite, d problem is, its not starting up eva since I bought t, it jst brings dis command interface "roo#localhost#.. What might be the problem?

try typing startx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 11, 2014
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by wahles(m): 4:01am On Oct 11, 2014
I ave notin s apunin# I wana know if I can jst insert d windows 8 disk and t will overide d linux?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:34am On Oct 11, 2014
wahles:
I ave notin s apunin# I wana know if I can jst insert d windows 8 disk and t will overide d linux?

I don't see why not
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 11, 2014
I think Deepin 2014 is very well polished than Ubuntu. It is lightweight and aesthetic. You can try it out if you want.
http://www.linuxdeepin.com/index.en.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 11:18pm On Oct 17, 2014
dljbd1:

Good to know cheesy
I will find one to testrun.
Thanks

You want start to dey Sniff Wireless Packets abi ? and to Crack Wireless Passwords.All the best... lol cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 11:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
all4naija:
I think Deepin 2014 is very well polished than Ubuntu. It is lightweight and aesthetic. You can try it out if you want.

pheeew... #Team Linux Mint Xfce

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 8:35am On Oct 18, 2014
jacob05:

You want start to dey Sniff Wireless Packets abi ? and to Crack Wireless Passwords.All the best... lol cheesy

I smell shrewdness cheesy

Open up to us na. We wanna really learn. smiley anymore material that will be helpful please
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 8:48am On Oct 18, 2014
all4naija:
am only hearing of this version for the very first time.
Is it better than debian and ubuntu?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 18, 2014
purplekayc:
am only hearing of this version for the very first time.
Is it better than debian and ubuntu?
I never said it is better but well POLISHED than Ubuntu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 18, 2014
jacob05:

pheeew... #Team Linux Mint Xfce
I think Deepin has better compatibility than Linux Mint Xfce or KDE. And, it has a better experience in Virtualization than other Linux I have tried out in virtual machine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 4:28pm On Oct 18, 2014
all4naija:

I think Deepin has better compatibility than Linux Mint Xfce or KDE. And, it has a better experience in Virtualization than other Linux I have tried out in virtual machine.

Naaaa... Linux Mint 17 xfce is a beast !!!!.... You need to try it and forget Deepin g yourself into bugs.... #TeamMintXfce
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 18, 2014
jacob05:

Naaaa... Linux Mint 17 xfce is a beast !!!!.... You need to try it and forget [b]Deepin[/b]g yourself into bugs.... #TeamMintXfce
I am talking about experience of Deepin 2014. I have used Mint and Ubuntu extensively. Try it out yourself than arguing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 4:32pm On Oct 18, 2014
Have you tried 17 ?
all4naija:

I am talking about experience of Deepin 2014. I have used Mint and Ubuntu extensively. Try it out yourself than arguing.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2014
all4naija:

I never said it is better but well POLISHED than Ubuntu.

You forgot to add that it is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 18, 2014
jacob05:

You forgot to add that it is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Many Linux are.Even Ubuntu is based on Debian but much polished than Debian.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 18, 2014
jacob05:
Have you tried 17 ?
No, I haven't!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 1:26pm On Oct 23, 2014
Today's the release day for Ubuntu 14.10: Utopic Unicorn!

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 4:35pm On Oct 24, 2014
@all whatsup guys? Longest time, keep the flag flying. Linux forever grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 6:53pm On Oct 24, 2014
Maleeq:
Today's the release day for Ubuntu 14.10: Utopic Unicorn!

There's very little worth upgrading for in this release. All their attention is now on the Ubuntu phone OS so the desktop is stagnating. 14.04 was extremely stable and is an LTS so there's no point moving to a new version. (with new bugs) if it doesn't add any features.

Hopefully thing will get better when Unity 8 desktop is ready.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2014
oh I for one intend to try kunbuntu 14.10, I've been hearing about the new features of kde 5, I think now is as good a time as any to try it out, not getting rid of my xubuntu 14.04 though - especially since I hear it's a bit glitchy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:33pm On Oct 25, 2014
weird enough I've been running KDE.

I had a crash on my PC and decided to use the opportunity to try a new gnome distro (Pinguy OS). it was unusable for me, I tried it for one painful day.

so I decided to install KDE desktop before wiping the drive and I've been using it since..... maybe because the distro I tried already had lots of stuff pre-installed and configured.

will do a dist-upgrade on Monday.

this release was REALLY low key sha. I even forgot about it........

that said where is this Ubuntu Touch phone na I'm sick and tired of waiting. I will be very disappointed if they miss this year. they promised 3rd quarter and this is 4th. I've actually held out on buying a phone for months because of it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 2:04pm On Oct 25, 2014
True. The release isn't anything major.

I downloaded it, but couldn't get it to boot the live CD without tinkering with boot options to turn of my graphics card (14.04 had no issue booting without this on the same PC).

So, I installed it, afresh, successfully! Nothing apparently different from 14.04. Just when I thought all was cool, I tried adding a repo and the system crashed!! Apport reported it alright but nothing worked again! I turn the PC off, brutally grin , but cant get past the login screen. cheesy

Long story short, I am back on 14.04. I'd wait for the next major release.

PS: One reason I decided not to fix the issue was there still isn't natively customizable notification and the ppa:leolik haven't upgrade to 14.10. I hate the position of the native notify-osd and the fact there isn't click-to-close option.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:59pm On Oct 25, 2014
@4llerbe you, kde? I'm surprised, always thought you didn't think much of it. As per the pinguy I tried it once too, wasn't impressed. I think for the near future not really into trying unknown distros anymore. Maybe I've gotten lazy.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by destino24(m): 1:32am On Oct 26, 2014
does anyone know how this mtn bis stuff can be used on ubuntu 14.04?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by whysquare4real(m): 3:26pm On Oct 27, 2014
How can I uninstall imbutu and install window OS like W7?I just got a PC used by INEC and it was imbutu OS dat was install. Pls help! Tanx

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
blackweaver:
@4llerbe you, kde? I'm surprised, always thought you didn't think much of it. As per the pinguy I tried it once too, wasn't impressed. I think for the near future not really into trying unknown distros anymore. Maybe I've gotten lazy.

i still don't grin grin

I only installed something else because my 14.04 install crashed. and remember the KDE i'm using is not vanilla. the Pinguy guy already installed and tweaked so many things so its not bad....... i doubt if it was vanilla kubuntu i'd still be using it.

yeah, i'm lazy too these days. no time to mess around too much.

ultimately its not so bad sha, now that i don't poke round my installs much. i just know i'm never downloading Pinguy OS ever again. too much crap and customizations. duplication of app, updating is a major data waste each time.....

BTW i'm thinking of migrating one old PC at work to a distro. PC came with XP and its a pain to allow XP on the network.... always attacked.
problem is i can't think of an appropriate distro.
Guy that uses the PC uses only* firefox and MS word. total noob, even in windows.

challenge is, something that does not deviate too far from windows look (and will not end up with me holding his hand all the time) AND will not be heavy on the download.

FFS even Xubuntu .iso is 915MB shocked shocked shocked thought of mint xfce, its 1.2gb

whatever happened to light distros?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 7:48pm On Oct 27, 2014
4llerbuntu:

i still don't grin grin

I only installed something else because my 14.04 install crashed. and remember the KDE i'm using is not vanilla. the Pinguy guy already installed and tweaked so many things so its not bad....... i doubt if it was vanilla kubuntu i'd still be using it.

yeah, i'm lazy too these days. no time to mess around too much.

ultimately its not so bad sha, now that i don't poke round my installs much. i just know i'm never downloading Pinguy OS ever again. too much crap and customizations. duplication of app, updating is a major data waste each time.....

BTW i'm thinking of migrating one old PC at work to a distro. PC came with XP and its a pain to allow XP on the network.... always attacked.
problem is i can't think of an appropriate distro.
Guy that uses the PC uses only* firefox and MS word. total noob, even in windows.

challenge is, something that does not deviate too far from windows look (and will not end up with me holding his hand all the time) AND will not be heavy on the download.

FFS even Xubuntu .iso is 915MB shocked shocked shocked thought of mint xfce, its 1.2gb

whatever happened to light distros?

well there's always DSL.But you will need to become a sensei to the guy sha
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:06am On Oct 28, 2014
dazekid:

well there's always DSL.But you will need to become a sensei to the guy sha

DSL? damn small? is that distro still alive?

@4llerbe just bite the bullet, put xubuntu - even if it's 14.04, add kingsoft office

The distros got heavier I guess, i remember the days when you could get puppy Linux under 100mb, i seriously doubt that is possible now

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.