Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (127) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463225 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by tsdarkside(m): 10:00am On Mar 07, 2015
moshoodn:

Thanks tsdarkside.

Do you recommend the Ubuntu 14 LTS or Linux Mint?

ubuntu...the community support is huge... smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by just2endowed: 2:46pm On Mar 07, 2015
tsdarkside:

okay...its virtualization...thank you... smiley

Ok
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:27am On Mar 09, 2015
tsdarkside:

okay...its virtualization...thank you... smiley

actually it's NOT virtualization, virtualisation would be ubuntu running inside windows, using wubi windows is not running. While a wubi installation is slower than it running in it's own partition, it is still faster than running in virtualization

2 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
Very soon every body will running linux OS in their PC, have seen the phones running ubuntu?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by gozmaxs(m): 7:55am On Mar 15, 2015
please my system runs on windows 8.1, and it is partitioned already but the other partition is not empty, i used it to back up most of my important files. now i want to install Ubuntu 14.10 in that partition cos am scared to install it on my windows 8.1(don't want to mess it up), so my question is will the Ubuntu wipe my files in the other partition? cos i intend installing it in the other partition.
new to Ubuntu by the way(want to try it out)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 7:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
gozmaxs:
please my system runs on windows 8.1, and it is partitioned already but the other partition is not empty, i used it to back up most of my important files. now i want to install Ubuntu 14.10 in that partition cos am scared to install it on my windows 8.1(don't want to mess it up), so my question is will the Ubuntu wipe my files in the other partition? cos i intend installing it in the other partition.
new to Ubuntu by the way(want to try it out)

No it won't, unless you tick the format box in the partition wizard
Re: Ubuntu Linux by soloskino(m): 1:31pm On Mar 16, 2015
HI everyone, i want to start using linux but before then can anybody give me reasons why i should use linux over windows

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 7:22am On Mar 17, 2015
soloskino:
HI everyone, i want to start using linux but before then can anybody give me reasons why i should use linux over windows

Google is not your enemy, there are too many entries on the Internet for what you are looking for. Use YouTube as well.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by soloskino(m): 1:34am On Mar 20, 2015
dazekid:

Google is not your enemy, there are too many entries on the Internet for what you are looking for. Use YouTube as well.
i have but not so convincing
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:28am On Mar 20, 2015
soloskino:

i have but not so convincing

The thing about using Linux is that it has to be your decision. Too many people have been told many reasons but at the end of the day were disappointed.
I started using Linux out of curiosity. Others have different reasons. I could tell you that it's more secure, but security depends on the user.
There are people who claim to have never gotten malware on their windows machines, there are also Linux users who have been careless enough to get their browsers compromised.
I've heard people argue that development is better on Linux, but for me o most development tools on Linux can be found on windows, and there are a lot more proprietary windows development tools which make programming easy on windows
What I would recommend is try one out, Ubuntu or mint should be fine. If you like it then you can install it on your PC. That's one of things I like about Linux, I can use it without actually installing it on my computer.
I would suggest mint because you can play your mp3s without installing anything else from the internet, although there is an Ubuntu variant that does this too but I've never used it and can't remember the name.
Warning, If you are downloading mint DO NOT download a no codec version otherwise you won't be able to play your MP3 out of the box.
To the Ubuntu fans out there, I know this is an Ubuntu thread, no offence meant, I actually use Ubuntu (actually xubuntu) more often than mint, but for a new user it would be very depressing to try out Linux and find out that simple MP3, mp4 files can't be played out of the box (and it's worse if the person doesn't have an internet connection)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 5:11am On Mar 23, 2015
blackweaver:

The thing about using Linux is that it has to be your decision. Too many people have been told many reasons but at the end of the day were disappointed.
I started using Linux out of curiosity. Others have different reasons. I could tell you that it's more secure, but security depends on the user.
There are people who claim to have never gotten malware on their windows machines, there are also Linux users who have been careless enough to get their browsers compromised.
I've heard people argue that development is better on Linux, but for me o most development tools on Linux can be found on windows, and there are a lot more proprietary windows development tools which make programming easy on windows
What I would recommend is try one out, Ubuntu or mint should be fine. If you like it then you can install it on your PC. That's one of things I like about Linux, I can use it without actually installing it on my computer.
I would suggest mint because you can play your mp3s without installing anything else from the internet, although there is an Ubuntu variant that does this too but I've never used it and can't remember the name.
Warning, If you are downloading mint DO NOT download a no codec version otherwise you won't be able to play your MP3 out of the box.
To the Ubuntu fans out there, I know this is an Ubuntu thread, no offence meant, I actually use Ubuntu (actually xubuntu) more often than mint, but for a new user it would be very depressing to try out Linux and find out that simple MP3, mp4 files can't be played out of the box (and it's worse if the person doesn't have an internet connection)

You make some really good points, I have never used mint so I don't even know anything about it but when running ubuntu(especially with a GUI) I find that it is easy to figure things out, obviously an internet connection is important during the setup process and installing the music and video binaries is second thing I do(first is install openSDK). Same as you, my linux usage was based on curiosity but I stay on linux mostly because it stays interesting, I have found that with windows, after installing a set of files and doing certain things, it gets boring but on linux, you typically might learn new things everyday.
Ubuntu 14.04 has a very beautiful GUI by the way so that's encouraging as well.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by iamstanleyb: 7:00am On Mar 23, 2015
please am using hp pavillion dv3 and it does not connect to my android hotspot, it always show "windows was unable to connect"

please i need help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 9:33pm On Mar 23, 2015
iamstanleyb:
please am using hp pavillion dv3 and it does not connect to my android hotspot, it always show "windows was unable to connect"

please i need help

Bruv, the thread says Ubuntu Linux na.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by islamics(m): 8:53pm On Mar 28, 2015
Please house am kind of new to the Linux environment. After trying the Ubuntu 14.10. I formatted my laptop and did a clean install of the Linux. I have updated the necessary codec. My question is this: Is there no way to install an applicationwithout going online? I have been trying to install Java jdk for a while now with no success: I wish somebody will help me out. I have tried using Google but it seems I have not really understand the Linux terminology.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 12:29am On Mar 29, 2015
islamics:
Please house am kind of new to the Linux environment. After trying the Ubuntu 14.10. I formatted my laptop and did a clean install of the Linux. I have updated the necessary codec. My question is this: Is there no way to install an applicationwithout going online? I have been trying to install Java jdk for a while now with no success: I wish somebody will help me out. I have tried using Google but it seems I have not really understand the Linux terminology.

You need to download openJDK 7, search for it in the Ubuntu software centre, I believe you can also go to Java.com/download for a JRE but I have never actually done that before as openJDK works fine for me. You can also type the following commands

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk
apt-cache search jdk
Re: Ubuntu Linux by islamics(m): 10:02am On Mar 29, 2015
dazekid:

You need to download openJDK 7, search for it in the Ubuntu software centre, I believe you can also go to Java.com/download for a JRE but I have never actually done that before as openJDK works fine for me. You can also type the following commands

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk
apt-cache search jdk
Thank for the tip: I will try itit later in the day
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hriz(m): 8:58pm On Mar 29, 2015
gat a big probs dualbooting my windows 7 wiv linux, i just cant shrink my c disk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 12:03am On Mar 31, 2015
hriz:
gat a big probs dualbooting my windows 7 wiv linux, i just cant shrink my c disk

Happens when files are in areas to be shrunk. Try defrag and if it doesn't work you might need to free up more space
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hriz(m): 7:55pm On Mar 31, 2015
ciphoenix:

Happens when files are in areas to be shrunk. Try defrag and if it doesn't work you might need to free up more space
I fink d freeing of space wld be d next tyn to do! Bt out of 320gig I av 50gig free! Aw far should I still extend d free space
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 1:58am On Apr 01, 2015
hriz:
I fink d freeing of space wld be d next tyn to do! Bt out of 320gig I av 50gig free! Aw far should I still extend d free space

Personally I discovered I can't shrink my drive beyond 70GB of free space. You could find out what yours is. If you have an unallocated space, you can't extend unless you free up from the other side
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:04am On Apr 01, 2015
ciphoenix:

Personally I discovered I can't shrink my drive beyond 70GB of free space. You could find out what yours is. If you have an unallocated space, you can't extend unless you free up from the other side

of course you could use gparted to shrink your partition beyond that, but i don't know how safe it is to do that. Windows will still work but i'm not sure of how the performance will be affected
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:23am On Apr 18, 2015
ciphoenix:

Usually thanks to shadow copies and check points usually created by windows to enable roll back.. But which also uses space.. The windows partitioner tool always set a soft limit when trying to shrink a partition to make room for future shadow copies .. This and the horrid fragmentation problems of NTFS is why you are unable to shrink beyond 70G even tho u have more storage.

You can try disabling shadow copies (google it last windows I used was xp and vista can't remember most things and lots have changed since ) and u can also delete created shadow copies (google)

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 19, 2015
Linux is also for me as a developer I prefer it however I prefer Xfce , Ubuntu is too heavy and cinnamon

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 12:56am On Apr 20, 2015
I just installed Ubuntu on vmware workstations but cant seem to find out how to add a wireless adapter so I can use WiFi on the linux. Any help? I already added two wired adapters.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 6:00pm On Apr 20, 2015
pcguru1:
Linux is also for me as a developer I prefer it however I prefer Xfce , Ubuntu is too heavy and cinnamon
Linux Mint Xfce rocks !!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:35am On Apr 21, 2015
brothers keeper n all that

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:47am On Apr 23, 2015
ptoall1000:
I just installed Ubuntu on vmware workstations but cant seem to find out how to add a wireless adapter so I can use WiFi on the linux. Any help? I already added two wired adapters.

hmm vmware, it's been a while since I used that, normally I just use virtualbox
Anyway can you ping your host is from the guest?
can you access wireless network from the host machine?
usually you don't need a wireless adapter to access a wireless network when using a guest os.
try this : ping 8.8.8.8
if you don't get a time out error, then you can access the internet, in which case if you still can't browse then your problem is your dns config.
Let me know how far before we continue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:58pm On Apr 24, 2015
Now that Ubuntu 15.04 is out, anyone planning on trying it out anytime soon?
I currently have xubuntu and kubuntu installed on my system, my xubuntu has been misbehaving so i guess i'll get the new one, same thing for kubuntu, though i havent quite taken to this kde5, hopefully it will be less frustrating for me (i need to be able to disable all forms of compositing, the thing always slows down my system)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
blackweaver:
Now that Ubuntu 15.04 is out, anyone planning on trying it out anytime soon?
I currently have xubuntu and kubuntu installed on my system, my xubuntu has been misbehaving so i guess i'll get the new one, same thing for kubuntu, though i havent quite taken to this kde5, hopefully it will be less frustrating for me (i need to be able to disable all forms of compositing, the thing always slows down my system)

i would upgrade,but i cant get the damn system to see that theres a new version out. i checked the settings in sources n all that......

KDE without compositing is like garri without sugar. grin grin grin grin

no matter how much i try to like that KDE thing it just never takes Gnome's*(Unity) place

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
i will but will have to use office my unity got bugs can't install unity-control-center anymore sad have to use Cinammon to share my Wifi for the family and Cinammon is slow, i share wifi with cinammon then logout and use xfce but closing all my works and tabs sad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 3:54pm On Apr 28, 2015
Is there a way to install Ubuntu without CD or Flash. What is network installation about? If it is possible how can i go about it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.