Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (462812 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:21pm On Apr 29, 2015
ptoall1000:
Is there a way to install Ubuntu without CD or Flash. What is network installation about? If it is possible how can i go about it?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot

i think its beyond your skill level. surely a flash drive is easier hurdle to cross?

but then....... u may give it a shot.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 2:22pm On Apr 29, 2015
I need help o, experts in the house. I had this Windows 8 HP desktop, that i converted to a red hat enterprise server. I then noticed that Red hat required paid subscription to do so many things. So i now decides to put d pc on CentOS. The problem is that the BIOS is not seen CentOS CD so i can boot from it. Any help pls?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:42pm On Apr 29, 2015
ptoall1000:
I need help o, experts in the house. I had this Windows 8 HP desktop, that i converted to a red hat enterprise server. I then noticed that Red hat required paid subscription to do so many things. So i now decides to put d pc on CentOS. The problem is that the BIOS is not seen CentOS CD so i can boot from it. Any help pls?

That's strange, perhaps the cd is faulty. You can boot from cd under normal circumstances can't you? And i'm guessing you mean centos dvd. On the other hand there is a way to enable centos repositories on your redhat enterprise server, just google "enabling centos repos on redhat" or something along that line
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 4:02pm On Apr 30, 2015
blackweaver:

That's strange, perhaps the cd is faulty. You can boot from cd under normal circumstances can't you? And i'm guessing you mean centos dvd. On the other hand there is a way to enable centos repositories on your redhat enterprise server, just google "enabling centos repos on redhat" or something along that line
Thank you. But i think it will be easier to convert the Red hat to Centos. i saw some documentations like that, i will try it soon and get back.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 12:00am On May 02, 2015
I m having a challenge. I installed centos in virtual box. it came completely command prompt. Scary!!, No GUI. I tried to run command to install the gui from net, then noticed that the my centos is not seeing the internet. I use WiFi to browse on host. Pls how can I fix this? My VM network is on Bridge.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by roosebolton: 4:49pm On May 02, 2015
ptoall1000:
I m having a challenge. I installed centos in virtual box. it came completely command prompt. Scary!!, No GUI. I tried to run command to install the gui from net, then noticed that the my centos is not seeing the internet. I use WiFi to browse on host. Pls how can I fix this? My VM network is on Bridge.
My brother, see that as a will of God. A chance to learn something. To be honest Cent is meant to be used and administered commandline wise. It is not an ubuntu.. if you really want to learn linux (the gut.. the real north Linux grin then my advise is u make google ur friend and get that Cent to heel.

Concerning the network.. you will have to configure it by hard. Here is a good guide to follow. http://xmodulo.com/how-to-configure-network-interfaces-in.html if you have issues. You can always ask here and someone will cheep in to help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 10:47pm On May 02, 2015
Hi everyone. I hope everyone is in excellent spirits. I have a problem. My Ubuntu laptop is out of reach, in another location. I am using a recently purchased, Chromebook. My problem is that I need word processing/editing software, that I can use offline. Or, software that I can load on a thumb drive, and use whenever I want. It annoys me to have everything I type loaded in an online cloud. I am also exploring ways to convert to a Ubuntu OS, however, if there is an easier way, I would also be interested. I hope I'm not being too bothersome. I appreciate any help/suggestions. Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:14pm On May 03, 2015
Google docs works offline now....
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2375012?hl=en

which chromebook is this exactly and is it up to date?

Google 'crouton' for how to install ubuntu on a chromebook.....

though I'm not sure exactly why u want to convert a chromebook. it has its own use scenario,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 12:46am On May 04, 2015
Thanks 4llerbuntu. I'll try working with the instructions at the link that you provided. I'm using a Samsung Chromebook 2, Intel Celeron, 500c. Its on wifi. I'm just not used to it, I would think. I have a chromebook manual but it's basic for beginners. I've only been able to use google docs online. However, the instructions at support google will be of help to me. Thanks again.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:59am On May 04, 2015
ptoall1000:

one question, which centos iso did you download? For a gui install you want either the livecd, livegnome or livekde iso, for the others, i can't guarantee anything

Go through the alternative downloads link or the more download choices link
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:10am On May 05, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 11:14am On May 05, 2015
Hi, im trying to install Centos from Live USB that i made from Unetbooting and when i also tried Universal USB Installer. i get the error below:

.....some information then
warning: /dev/root does not exist

Generating "/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt"

Entering rescue mode. Exit the shell to continue.
Type "journalctl" to view system logs.
You might want to save Generating "/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt" to a USB stick or /boot
after mounting them and attach it to a bug report.

dracut:#

What do you thinks i should do?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 05, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 8:46pm On May 05, 2015
Meanwhile l, I was able to do the Centos installation well on vmware without errors. what could be the reason why it is not working life machine.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 05, 2015
oh boy,Ubuntu is damn intuitive....my windows partition is dying very soon grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:38am On May 06, 2015
ptoall1000:
Meanwhile l, I was able to do the Centos installation well on vmware without errors. what could be the reason why it is not working life machine.

use another software to prepare the LiveUSB.

Unetbootin is known to give issues with some distros.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:46am On May 06, 2015
4llerbuntu:

or just burn it on a dvd, that will definitely work, no special tools needed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 2:41pm On May 08, 2015
Jregz:
oh boy,Ubuntu is damn intuitive....my windows partition is dying very soon grin

Or so you think, if still have a windows partition when you first start using ubuntu, you'll find yourself going back windows whenever you have any hiccups rather than trying to solve it on linux. You're welcome to the club sha.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 12:27am On May 09, 2015
ptoall1000:

there are two ways. but since I dont know how good you are on linux, I will just tell you to start your machine with either live cd or usb and then download boot-repair. it is partition repairable software with gui interface. select automatic repair. when done, restart your system making sure that your BIOS or UEFI firmware is reset to boot from harddisk. Thats it. your GRUB will detect and load all OSs and you can choose from there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 10, 2015
So took a dive and updated to 15.04 and managed to fix my unity-control-center however the update took Cinnamon away from me, so left with Unity and Xfce, back to Unity as brightness works over there. am glad cuz Cinnamon was kinda heavy compared to unity
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ptoall1000: 6:15pm On May 16, 2015
I have a challenge. I installed Centos 6. It runs on CLI, i have installed all the tools for GUI, i installed GNOME etc thruogh yum and it was successfull. But i dont know how to launch the GUI. i ran startx command but it was not found.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 9:57pm On May 16, 2015
ptoall1000:
I have a challenge. I installed Centos 6. It runs on CLI, i have installed all the tools for GUI, i installed GNOME etc thruogh yum and it was successfull. But i dont know how to launch the GUI. i ran startx command but it was not found.

which GNOME? I advice you install KDE. Lightdm is not reliable, from my own experience
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:31pm On May 18, 2015
ptoall1000:

I hope you have the Xorg and Xutils packages installed too
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jboy01(m): 3:02am On May 21, 2015
pls I don't have megabyte on my modem now. but I still have subscription on my blackberry. pls I there any site I can download linux app with phone browsers so that I will install it through terminal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Awoofawo(m): 6:54am On May 21, 2015
jboy01:
pls I don't have megabyte on my modem now. but I still have subscription on my blackberry. pls I there any site I can download linux app with phone browsers so that I will install it through terminal.
Sourceforge or Softpedia
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:58am On May 22, 2015
download manager for Ubuntu ? anyone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:02am On May 22, 2015
Jregz:
download manager for Ubuntu ? anyone

downthemall is a firefox plugin that is a download manager. Just go to downthemall.net with firefox
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 22, 2015
blackweaver:

downthemall is a firefox plugin that is a download manager. Just go to downthemall.net with firefox
thanks a lot sire,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:42pm On May 29, 2015
please help me.... i just acquired a new laptop and would love to learn linux administration.. i need some to help install linux and tutor me.. my mail is henryelue@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:20am On May 31, 2015
Please help me out...
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mindtricks: 5:55pm On May 31, 2015
4llerbuntu:

4ller, pardon my "noviceness", please how can one safely install linux ubuntu in windows 8 such that it does not affect windows negatively.

I learnt wubi wont work with windows 8.

I intend not to mess with system partitions unnecessarily, and want a situation where I can safely uninstall and reinstall ubuntu when I want.

Please advice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.