Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,239 members, 7,807,808 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (135) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463196 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 11:40am On Dec 29, 2015
Habholarji:

my architecture is 64bit and that Linux I loaded before is also 64bit....I have downloaded ubuntu15.04 and and also mint 17.3 but I'm yet to load them. just don't wanna go over the ish I faced before

My advice: virtualize the Linux OS. Log into windows and download vmware or virtualbox virtual machine and host ur ubuntu on it. That way u have access to both windows and ubuntu at d same time.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Habholarji(m): 11:46am On Dec 29, 2015
Barywhyte:

My advice: virtualize the Linux OS. Log into windows and download vmware or virtualbox virtual machine and host ur ubuntu on it. That way u have access to both windows and ubuntu at d same time.
thanks boss...will do that
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:34pm On Dec 29, 2015
Habholarji:

my architecture is 64bit and that Linux I loaded before is also 64bit....I have downloaded ubuntu15.04 and and also mint 17.3 but I'm yet to load them. just don't wanna go over the ish I faced before

you can safely install ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 2:10pm On Dec 29, 2015
Habholarji:
thanks boss...will do that
Ur welcom
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ipriala: 2:12pm On Dec 29, 2015
Guys please what's the lowest price for a DELL INSPIRON 15 5558 core i7 8Gb 1TB memory

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:50am On Dec 31, 2015
Because this is a computer prices thread? Something must be wrong with you

2 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 5:25pm On Jan 06, 2016
I use Ubuntu Linux as my main OS. It's a much more rewarding experience than boring Windows.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2016
Fulaman198:
I use Ubuntu Linux as my main OS. It's a much more rewarding experience than boring Windows.

windows, boring?

u most be joking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 6:57am On Jan 07, 2016
crotonite:

windows, boring?

u most be joking.

My brother, kedu? Kekime? how are you?

I find it boring because I used Windows for such a long time that it became monotonous. I feel as a user you feel more pigeonholed. I also enjoy the fact that not many people use Linux, whereas at the very minimum 97% of the World's population uses Windows OS.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 9:40am On Jan 07, 2016
Fulaman198:
Gudmrning Bro

I will like to know how much does cheapest PC cost??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 9:49am On Jan 07, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

Gudmrning Bro

I will like to know how much does cheapest PC cost??

That depends on what you are personally looking for in terms of power.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by enigmatique(m): 10:22am On Jan 07, 2016
Fulaman198:

Howdy bro. Mind if I co-ask?

Let's say I'm looking for 4-6gb RAM, 0.5-1 TB HDD, at least quad core and core i3, around 2gb vRAM/GPU, and a 1080p screen. Not HP- Acer or others will do.

What's the price of a machine like that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 10:33am On Jan 07, 2016
enigmatique:

Howdy bro. Mind if I co-ask?

Let's say I'm looking for 4-6gb RAM, 0.5-1 TB HDD, at least quad core and core i3, around 2gb vRAM/GPU, and a 1080p screen. Not HP- Acer or others will do.

What's the price of a machine like that?

You mean something like this? It doesn't have a dedicated GPU like you are looking for or a 1080p screen:

https://www./lenovo-g50-80-intel-core-i3-1.7ghz-4gb1tb-hdd-15.6-inch-windows-8-laptop-with-bagbr-1435744.html

What you are looking for would probably cost about 100K or so. Ask around smiley I'm not a computer vendor sadly.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 10:55am On Jan 07, 2016
Fulaman198:

A laptop with
5gb Memory
which I can learn some programming language
blog
e.t.c
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 11:07am On Jan 07, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

A laptop with

5gb Memory

which I can learn some programming language

blog

e.t.c

The one I linked earlier is good. If you want to learn programming you don't really need a Super laptop unless you are computing huge datasets, but today's laptops are far better than they were 10 years ago.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by enigmatique(m): 11:49am On Jan 07, 2016
Fulaman198:

You mean something like this? It doesn't have a dedicated GPU like you are looking for or a 1080p screen:

https://www./lenovo-g50-80-intel-core-i3-1.7ghz-4gb1tb-hdd-15.6-inch-windows-8-laptop-with-bagbr-1435744.html

What you are looking for would probably cost about 100K or so. Ask around smiley I'm not a computer vendor sadly.

I highly appreciate your help bro. Thank you very much. I'm also already looking at the Acer E5- series, perusing the specs of the many/available variants. This one you just recommended should be another one to have a look at.

By the way, why I followed this thread in the first place is that my main/favorite OS right now is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 12:13pm On Jan 07, 2016
Fulaman198:

The one I linked earlier is good. If you want to learn programming you don't really need a Super laptop unless you are computing huge datasets, but today's laptops are far better than they were 10 years ago.
But can i have a PC with a price tag of 20-30,000 naira
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 6:24pm On Jan 07, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

Good luck with that, highly unlikely unless someone gives you one for free
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 6:26pm On Jan 07, 2016
enigmatique:

I highly appreciate your help bro. Thank you very much. I'm also already looking at the Acer E5- series, perusing the specs of the many/available variants. This one you just recommended should be another one to have a look at.

By the way, why I followed this thread in the first place is that my main/favorite OS right now is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is pretty outdated. You can install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or Ubuntu 15.10. Ubuntu 16.04 is scheduled for this year.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 07, 2016
Fulaman198:

My brother, kedu? Kekime? how are you?

I find it boring because I used Windows for such a long time that it became monotonous. I feel as a user you feel more pigeonholed. I also enjoy the fact that not many people use Linux, whereas at the very minimum 97% of the World's population uses Windows OS.

aku, jam? ta shodi? ta kugal? su kagbe? grin

ok. now i understand what u mean. but as for me, i am just begining to enjoy windows os.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 6:14am On Jan 08, 2016
crotonite:

aku, jam? ta shodi? ta kugal? su kagbe? grin

ok. now i understand what u mean. but as for me, i am just begining to enjoy windows os.

ROFLLLL work is good and I have no kids, it's sukaabe btw not "su kagbe" lollllll. Good stuff great morning laugh here.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 8:03am On Jan 08, 2016
Fulaman198:

But, is Tablet and Pc thesame, interms of work??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 8:26am On Jan 08, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

But, is Tablet and Pc thesame, interms of work??

It depends on the Tablet. A PC just stands for Personal computer. There are tablets out there that run full blown Windows and full Ubuntu Desktop Linux, so they can most definitely fulfill the role of both a Windows PC or Ubuntu Linux Desktop PC if connected to a mouse and keyboard.

What really determines a PC and its functionality is the Operating System. If the Operating System is a full-blown desktop Operating System, then it can do everything a PC can do.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by enigmatique(m): 2:37pm On Jan 08, 2016
Fulaman198:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is pretty outdated. You can install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or Ubuntu 15.10. Ubuntu 16.04 is scheduled for this year.

I was expecting/anticipating you to comment about that. Yeah, I agree that Precise Pangolin is pretty dated. But then, I installed Ubuntu ab initio because I wanted to do some Android ROM development (but then fell in love with the distro itself). The reason was that on Google's AOSP page, they indicated that the distro to be used for Android AOSP dev was Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Don't know if they've updated this requirement to Trusty Tahr i.e 14.04 LTS.

So, the main reason why I'm yet to upgrade to Trusty Tahr is that I still plan/wish to carry out ROM dev in the future.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by enigmatique(m): 2:46pm On Jan 08, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

Fulaman198:

That's very true. The other option you have is to get a second-hand PC, and it'll probably be a mini laptop or a desktop (if you don't mind using one grin cheesy ). And from personal experience, I would NOT advise you to explore this option. Rather, continue to save/earn money to buy a confirm PC of 60-80k.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 8:40pm On Jan 08, 2016
enigmatique:

That's very true. The other option you have is to get a second-hand PC, and it'll probably be a mini laptop or a desktop (if you don't mind using one grin cheesy ). And from personal experience, I would NOT advise you to explore this option. Rather, continue to save/earn money to buy a confirm PC of 60-80k.

Tanx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by enigmatique(m): 8:06pm On Jan 09, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

Tanx
You're very welcome.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 8:51pm On Jan 09, 2016
enigmatique:
You're very welcome.
BUT what do you think about Android OS laptops??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 9:08pm On Jan 09, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

BUT what do you think about Android OS laptops??

Waste of money.

Whilst Android is Linux, it's still nonetheless a mobile-OS with limited functionality. Now I know you said that you want a professional programmer. For that you need a desktop OS with some good IDEs. A mobile OS is not for that. It's for browsing the web, checking e-mail via mobile apps, etc.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 9:22pm On Jan 09, 2016
Fulaman198:

Waste of money.

Whilst Android is Linux, it's still nonetheless a mobile-OS with limited functionality. Now I know you said that you want a professional programmer. For that you need a desktop OS with some good IDEs. A mobile OS is not for that. It's for browsing the web, checking e-mail via mobile apps, etc.

I recently saw it and was surprise

Because i know android to be a mobile OS.

dats why i asked

Because i don't know weather the PC version have special functionality
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 9:24pm On Jan 09, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

I recently saw it and was surprise

Because i know android to be a mobile OS.

dats why i asked

Because i don't know weather the PC version have special functionality

The keyboard does not add any further functionality. It is no different than pairing an Android tablet with a bluetooth keyboard.

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.