Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,627 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463187 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 9:29pm On Jan 09, 2016
Fulaman198:

The keyboard does not add any further functionality. It is no different than pairing an Android tablet with a bluetooth keyboard.
But is the laptop screen touchscreen?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 9:31pm On Jan 09, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

But is the laptop screen touchscreen?

Of course, Android was designed under the concept of a touchscreen. It's a mobileOS which revolves around touch screens. The way you utilise your Android phone would be the same way you utilise an "Android computer". It's just a mobile device for basic every day things.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 9:33pm On Jan 09, 2016
Fulaman198:

Of course, Android was designed under the concept of a touchscreen. It's a mobileOS which revolves around touch screens. The way you utilise your Android phone would be the same way you utilise an "Android computer". It's just a mobile device for basic every day things.
LOL!!

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by enigmatique(m): 11:01am On Jan 10, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

BUT what do you think about Android OS laptops??
Nah, I would not advocate you get one. If I remember correctly, you said you want to use your desired laptop for programming. MOST of the software for programming isn't available as Android apps e.g the Java SDK (Software Development Kit), the Python interpreter, Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc aren't available for the Android OS.

So Android lappies may be around 30k but they are not what you need.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:34am On Jan 12, 2016
please why have you turned this thread into a discussion about crappy laptops?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 1:07am On Jan 18, 2016
4llerbuntu:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 22, 2016
4llerbuntu:

my pc has refused to boot into GUI environment, just a blank screen.. I tried the recovery mode and i got a terminal - logged in as root -. I checked all users' directories, installed binaries programs and blah blah, everything was intact...but no GUI..

It seems lightdm is the problem, since dpkg-reconfigure says it is partly installed or removed .. i can't even connect to my wifi router to fix that , i heard about the boot from cd and try ubuntu option to backup files, then reinstall ubuntu... is there any other method to get through this ? without losing my files obviously undecided undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:47am On Jan 22, 2016
if u reinstall from a CD or USB drive as long as u make sure to not wipe any partitions, u won't lose data

even better if u had used separate / and /home directories when installing the first time. u can then wipe / only to be doubly sure u have a fresh install

if I understand you correctly, why don't u just install gdm or another desktop environment? like say lubuntu?

connect the PC to the internet via LAN and run sudo apt-get install

sudo apt-get install gdm

- "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm"

- choose gdm as your greeter, go back to shell

- "sudo start gdm"

That should log you in.

then open germinal and run

- "sudo dpkg install --reinstall lightdm"

- "sudo dpkg install lightdm-gtk-greeter

- "sudo dpkg reconfigure lightdm"

- choose lightdm as your greeter

- reboot
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:01am On Jan 22, 2016
4llerbuntu:
if u reinstall from a CD or USB drive as long as u make sure to not wipe any partitions, u won't lose data

even better if u had used separate / and /home directories when installing the first time. u can then wipe / only to be doubly sure u have a fresh install

it is dual-booted, i'm accessing the internet from windows.. so i should be up and running if i "just click yes" all through the install ?

i cannot get access to a wired connection - wireless only - . I would have to reinstall it .. i have tried downloading it again but it seems the connection is kind of down right now.. If it persists, would go check a software store if they have a copy..

all this weird ilorin stores, they probably might not have self

Would inform you of the progress i'm making .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:15am On Jan 22, 2016
i found this http://askubuntu.com/a/716600 , i think that link alongside your reply answers it for me..cannot wait to get into my linux again..Windows is a piece of shit OS cool cool

Update ::: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation , it would backup the /home folder by default..That is nice default since i have my most important projects in /var/www/* in a private version control system.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 25, 2016
4llerbuntu:

i finally installed 15.04, i did the "try ubuntu" option and moved my folders to an external hard-drive - all folders in the "try mode" were intact,binaries, everything - .. The installation wiped everything away though..That i guess was because i was installing a newer version (15) because there was an option i could not select which says "/home folder would not be deleted".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 10:29pm On Feb 01, 2016
How do i copy from terminal to notepad?
Am on archlinux
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 10:08am On Feb 02, 2016
holuphisayor:
Am on archlinux

select the text then ctrl + c? It works for me on Ubuntu. I assume this is from the Shell where you see the $ symbol right?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 10:29am On Feb 02, 2016
Fulaman198:

select the text then ctrl + c? It works for me on Ubuntu. I assume this is from the Shell where you see the $ symbol right?
yes,the $ symbol
am running a script and immediately i press ctrl + c it closes the terminal
i already snapped with my phone though but would still like to know how to copy and paste.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 11:06am On Feb 02, 2016
holuphisayor:

yes,the $ symbol
am running a script and immediately i press ctrl + c it closes the terminal
i already snapped with my phone though but would still like to know how to copy and paste.

You can right click as well
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:08am On Feb 02, 2016
holuphisayor:
Am on archlinux

From the terminal type ctrl+shift+c or ctrl+insert, either of them will work
and to paste use ctrl_shift+v or shift+insert
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 11:44am On Feb 02, 2016
blackweaver:

From the terminal type ctrl+shift+c or ctrl+insert, either of them will work
and to paste use ctrl_shift+v or shift+insert
thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 11:47am On Feb 02, 2016
Fulaman198:

You can right click as well
yes,i can right click but when i paste on inbuilt notepad, nothing is actually pasted.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 5:29pm On Feb 02, 2016
holuphisayor:

yes,i can right click but when i paste on inbuilt notepad, nothing is actually pasted.

What's the colour of the text in your terminal?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 8:25pm On Feb 02, 2016
Fulaman198:

What's the colour of the text in your terminal?
Here

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 8:28pm On Feb 02, 2016
holuphisayor:

Here

Interesting, I don't have the issue of right clicking and copying in either Ubuntu gnome terminal or Mac OS X UNIX terminal.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 8:32pm On Feb 02, 2016
Fulaman198:

Interesting, I don't have the issue of right clicking and copying in either Ubuntu gnome terminal or Mac OS X UNIX terminal.
Maybe because a script is running ....would try on the main terminal. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:22pm On Feb 04, 2016
holuphisayor:

thanks

Hope it worked
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 2:43pm On Feb 04, 2016
blackweaver:

Hope it worked
It worked on the main terminal..but not working on terminal running a script..thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:42pm On Feb 05, 2016
holuphisayor:

It worked on the main terminal..but not working on terminal running a script..thanks

if you ran a script, you can redirect the output to a file with either ">" or ">>" command e.g.: script.sh > file.log

of course if it's boot messages you're looking at, that is not going to work
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 3:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
blackweaver:

if you ran a script, you can redirect the output to a file with either ">" or ">>" command e.g.: script.sh > file.log

of course if it's boot messages you're looking at, that is not going to work
Thanks man, i appreciate.
Its actually a .sh script am running on an archlinux vps.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 6:42pm On Feb 05, 2016
holuphisayor:

Thanks man, i appreciate.
Its actually a .sh script am running on an archlinux vps.

You can run that script in the background with

./yourscript.sh &

Command, have you tried that?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 8:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
Fulaman198:

You can run that script in the background with

./yourscript.sh &

Command, have you tried that?
No, would try that later. Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 11:54pm On Feb 05, 2016
Any ideas on installing ubuntu 14.04lts on a macbook pro without OSX?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by emexi: 7:42am On Feb 07, 2016
guys please i installed linux cinnamon but dont know how to install my huawei modem and also how to make simple server work..... i need help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by greatfuldead: 9:07am On Feb 07, 2016
Please guys i need a bit of advice. Which is user friendly the linux mint or ubuntu? Which would you guys advice to be installed? I would like to leave windows and its attendant wahala and upgrade to linux.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.