Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (137) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463277 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 11:16am On Feb 07, 2016
dazekid:
Any ideas on installing ubuntu 14.04lts on a macbook pro without OSX?

You can install it as a VM
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 11:18am On Feb 07, 2016
greatfuldead:
Please guys i need a bit of advice. Which is user friendly the linux mint or ubuntu? Which would you guys advice to be installed? I would like to leave windows and its attendant wahala and upgrade to linux.

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are both Debian based. I personally prefer Ubuntu and Unity UI
Re: Ubuntu Linux by greatfuldead: 11:55am On Feb 07, 2016
Fulaman198:

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are both Debian based. I personally prefer Ubuntu and Unity UI
Thanks a plenty.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 1:14am On Feb 09, 2016
Fulaman198:

You misunderstand. I mean that there is no active OSX installation running on the macbook. Need to install Ubuntu as the Primary OS but so far every method requires already having an OSX installation.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by greatfuldead: 2:02pm On Feb 12, 2016
Please guys educate me. Do l need to install any anti-virus softeare? If so which one ?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 4:23pm On Feb 12, 2016
Fulaman198:

Do u know how i can create vps from my dedicated server running ubuntu 14.04? (like 20 vps)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:10am On Feb 13, 2016
dazekid:

You misunderstand. I mean that there is no active OSX installation running on the macbook. Need to install Ubuntu as the Primary OS but so far every method requires already having an OSX installation.

Google "install Ubuntu sole boot macbook version'
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:11am On Feb 13, 2016
greatfuldead:
Please guys educate me. Do l need to install any anti-virus softeare? If so which one ?
No. U do not need one
Re: Ubuntu Linux by greatfuldead: 7:08am On Feb 14, 2016
4llerbuntu:

No. U do not need one
Muchas gracias amigo.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by greatfuldead: 11:04am On Feb 16, 2016
Please guys is it safe to update my xdman from sourceforge? I use Linux Mint.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 9:46pm On Feb 16, 2016
holuphisayor:

Do u know how i can create vps from my dedicated server running ubuntu 14.04? (like 20 vps)

Have you tried using the KVM to create the VPS?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 9:47pm On Feb 16, 2016
dazekid:

What kind of MacBook are we talking about here (in regards to year). I think as long as you have a "Superdrive" or CD drive of some sort you can install Ubuntu on your MacBook.

Take a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101378
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 10:45pm On Feb 16, 2016
Fulaman198:

Have you tried using the KVM to create the VPS?
No,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 10:46pm On Feb 16, 2016
holuphisayor:

No,

Give that a try and get back to me smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 10:51pm On Feb 16, 2016
Fulaman198:

Give that a try and get back to me smiley
Ok, if i wantu create firefox profiles like 4 and wantu make each firefox use one IP . I can do that in network settings?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 10:53pm On Feb 16, 2016
holuphisayor:

Ok, if i wantu create firefox profiles like 4 and wantu make each firefox use one IP . I can do that in network settings?

I'm not too sure I understand your question, but from what I understand, you are trying to assign I.P. addresses to each VM is that correct?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 10:57pm On Feb 16, 2016
Fulaman198:

I'm not too sure I understand your question, but from what I understand, you are trying to assign I.P. addresses to each VM is that correct?
Not VM, like running multiple firefox with different IP. Similar to running firefox on different VM. But in this case on a single VM.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 11:01pm On Feb 16, 2016
holuphisayor:

Not VM, like running multiple firefox with different IP. Similar to running firefox on different VM. But in this case on a single VM.

I don't think that works on the basis that IP addresses ( I assume you are talking about your local IP address) are typically dynamically assigned by a DHCP server (which is typically your router) or are statically assigned by you. Now, most machines have only 1 IP address, unless if they have an IP address assigned to each NIC (Network Interface Card) on that particular device.

If I am interpreting what you are saying correctly, you are trying to run multiple instances of Firefox with different IP addresses....I know it is none of my business, but for what purpose?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 11:04pm On Feb 16, 2016
Fulaman198:

I don't think that works on the basis that IP addresses ( I assume you are talking about your local IP address) are typically dynamically assigned by a DHCP server (which is typically your router) or are statically assigned by you. Now, most machines have only 1 IP address, unless if they have an IP address assigned to each NIC (Network Interface Card) on that particular device.

If I am interpreting what you are saying correctly, you are trying to run multiple instances of Firefox with different IP addresses....I know it is none of my business, but for what purpose?
Yes, exactly
Undisclosed. grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 11:08pm On Feb 16, 2016
holuphisayor:

Yes, exactly
Undisclosed. grin

Hopefully for nothing bad smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by holuphisayor(m): 11:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
Fulaman198:

Hopefully for nothing bad smiley
LoL, sure
Re: Ubuntu Linux by IMABEN(m): 1:01pm On Feb 23, 2016
pls how do i get the product key for windows 8 pro build 9200... somebody please help me
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 8:25pm On Feb 23, 2016
IMABEN:
pls how do i get the product key for windows 8 pro build 9200... somebody please help me

Really? on thread that is about Linux?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dabigjoe6(m): 8:29am On Feb 27, 2016
please help, i recently installed ubuntu 15.1 on my system and decided to completely remove windows, everything seems to be fine except that i can't connect to any wifi although i can use modem to connect to the internet i can't connect to wifi, please help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by emexi: 12:32pm On Feb 27, 2016
dabigjoe6:
please help, i recently installed ubuntu 15.1 on my system and decided to completely remove windows, everything seems to be fine except that i can't connect to any wifi although i can use modem to connect to the internet i can't connect to wifi, please help
. its better to reinstall.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dabigjoe6(m): 4:18pm On Feb 27, 2016
emexi:
. its better to reinstall.
how can i reinstall without losing any app I have installed many apps and I don't want to lose them
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 4:50pm On Feb 27, 2016
dabigjoe6:

how can i reinstall without losing any app I have installed many apps and I don't want to lose them

No need to reinstall

$ sudo apt-get install wicd
$sudo wicd &

Refresh and scan for wifi in wicd network manager gui interface. Select d wifi. Click properties and enter d wifi password.

That's it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 12:39am On Feb 28, 2016
dabigjoe6:

If you can not connect to wi-fi, let's trouble shoot it.

Please type ifconfig at the command line. You should see all your Network Interface Cards (NIC). Please take a screenshot and post it here.

This may be a case of the DHCP not assigning your respective NIC a local IP address, or your computer may not be detecting your NICs at all.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dabigjoe6(m): 5:58pm On Feb 28, 2016
Fulaman198:

If you can not connect to wi-fi, let's trouble shoot it.

Please type ifconfig at the command line. You should see all your Network Interface Cards (NIC). Please take a screenshot and post it here.

This may be a case of the DHCP not assigning your respective NIC a local IP address, or your computer may not be detecting your NICs at all.
thanks after so many trials I don't know what happened I just changed the password type of my phone hotspot and then it connected
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Fulaman198(m): 6:10pm On Feb 28, 2016
dabigjoe6:

thanks after so many trials I don't know what happened I just changed the password type of my phone hotspot and then it connected

Lol
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dabigjoe6(m): 1:19pm On Mar 01, 2016
Fulaman198:

Lol
its connecting to only my phone hotspot its not connecting to any other wifi

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.