Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,140 members, 7,780,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:14 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (460034 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Folarinibrahim1(m): 5:52pm On Jun 14, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:

So you settled for Mint? Good choice,my only challenge is that they dropped support for KDE and I am KDE fan so I will not be touching Mint for a long time to come.
But its a good distro for anybody who wants to switch to Linux.

If you are interested pls join the Nigeria Linux User Group on Telegram to meet other Linux users like you. Lets share our Linux experience together.
how do I join?link?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by vickzdvipe(m): 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2018
Canonical finish work on top Ubuntu 18.04 LTs, I'm so loving it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 6:03am On Jun 17, 2018
Folarinibrahim1:
how do I join?link?

I am prohibited from sending links here. Just search for "Linux Nigeria User Group" on telegram app and you will see the group
Or you can send across your email and I can forward the group link to you.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 6:04am On Jun 17, 2018
vickzdvipe:
Canonical finish work on top Ubuntu 18.04 LTs, I'm so loving it.

They really did a good work polishing the surface and the move to Gnome wasn't a bad one after all.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Folarinibrahim1(m): 7:12am On Jun 17, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:

I am prohibited from sending links here. Just search for "Linux Nigeria User Group" on telegram app and you will see the group
Or you can send across your email and I can forward the group link to you.
thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:41am On Jun 18, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:

They really did a good work polishing the surface and the move to Gnome wasn't a bad one after all.
all that shiny comes at a cost. and with gnome 3 that cost is huge. Since the upgrade gnome 3 has taking the reputation of being a huge memory hug and worn it like a barge. I will never run a gnome 3 distro on a 4gb ram laptop unless I intend to use it for nothing other than browsing the web. It is not unusual for gnome 3 to use close to 1.6gb ram on bootup. I just doesn't make sense and to make it worse, nothing is being done to address the problem.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by duwdu: 10:16am On Jun 18, 2018
bigrovar:
all that shiny comes at a cost. and with gnome 3 that cost is huge. Since the upgrade gnome 3 has taking the reputation of being a huge memory hug and worn it like a barge. I will never run a gnome 3 distro on a 4gb ram laptop unless I intend to use it for nothing other than browsing the web. It is not unusual for gnome 3 to use close to 1.6gb ram on bootup. I just doesn't make sense and to make it worse, nothing is being done to address the problem.

Many thanks for this insight and perspective, bigrovar; it helps as one contemplates whether or not to dual-boot on a 4GB RAM Mini PC, just for ordinary surfing/writing/watching HD content.

P34c3
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 7:05am On Jul 03, 2018
I share your view but in this age and time anybody using any laptop less than 4GB RAM should start considering light-weight distros using XFCE (Xubuntu) and LXDE (Lubuntu) DEs. GNOME and KDE are basically moving towards providing graphical experience like their Windows and MacOS counterparts. Software features are increasing and code is getting larger. Even phones now have 8GB RAM not to talk of laptops so developers are not thinking of RAM restriction.

bigrovar:

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:
I share your view but in this age and time anybody using any laptop less than 4GB RAM should start considering light-weight distros using XFCE (Xubuntu) and LXDE (Lubuntu) DEs. GNOME and KDE are basically moving towards providing graphical experience like their Windows and MacOS counterparts. Software features are increasing and code is getting larger. Even phones now have 8GB RAM not to talk of laptops so developers are not thinking of RAM restriction.

Mate DE is also ok (that's gnome 2.x with gtk 3 libraries)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 1:55am On Jul 04, 2018
Yea, Mate is a nice DE. I have seen lots of videos on it. I dont just know where it plays on RAM usage. Maybe somewhere in btw the heavy and low RAM DEs.

blackweaver:

Mate DE is also ok (that's gnome 2.x with gtk 3 libraries)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:34am On Jul 04, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:
Yea, Mate is a nice DE. I have seen lots of videos on it. I dont just know where it plays on RAM usage. Maybe somewhere in btw the heavy and low RAM DEs.

Something like that. Not quite as light as xfce, but like I said, think gnome 2.x.
Maybe i'm old fashioned, but i've never taken to gnome3.x or kde 5.x. I prefer the previous UIs. In fact I actually preferred kde 3.x to 4.x, but just when I was getting to at least adjust to it they released kde 5. I know people say kde5 is better and stuff but I just don't feel the UI

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:27pm On Jul 06, 2018
blackweaver:

Something like that. Not quite as light as xfce, but like I said, think gnome 2.x.
Maybe i'm old fashioned, but i've never taken to gnome3.x or kde 5.x. I prefer the previous UIs. In fact I actually preferred kde 3.x to 4.x, but just when I was getting to at least adjust to it they released kde 5. I know people say kde5 is better and stuff but I just don't feel the UI
Agreed, and yet.. they are many things to do in the life than to dedicated 3-4gb of ram to run just an operating system... even on my 32GB workstation.. I cringe when OS crosses the 2gb ram (that is with other applications loaded) not to talk of operating system and UI alone chopping 4GB!!!..

Gnome is essentially a redhat playground project hence they don't care to improve on performance. Kde on the otherhand is still user driven which is why most of the improvement on their latest release focuses on optimisation, leaner, faster, smoother.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:25pm On Jul 09, 2018
bigrovar:

Agreed, and yet.. they are many things to do in the life than to dedicated 3-4gb of ram to run just an operating system... even on my 32GB workstation.. I cringe when OS crosses the 2gb ram (that is with other applications loaded) not to talk of operating system and UI alone chopping 4GB!!!..

Gnome is essentially a redhat playground project hence they don't care to improve on performance. Kde on the otherhand is still user driven which is why most of the improvement on their latest release focuses on optimisation, leaner, faster, smoother.

Yeah, I read that the kde folks actually listen to people unlike the people at gnome. If I can make out time, I'll try it out again
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 4:58am On Jul 10, 2018
blackweaver:

Yeah, I read that the kde folks actually listen to people unlike the people at gnome. If I can make out time, I'll try it out again

You mean KDE?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:50pm On Jul 11, 2018
Running KDE neon 4 months now...

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:58pm On Jul 12, 2018
4llerbuntu:

How is it? I know you preferred Unity to other DEs at one time
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:10pm On Jul 12, 2018
blackweaver:

How is it? I know you preferred Unity to other DEs at one time

Gnome 3 didn't agree with my ancient hardware(kept freezing) plus my dislike of that DE is known. Ubuntu moving to it was a bummer for me.

Used it a bit though, then ran into some funny issue I can't exactly recall so I switched.

To be fair though, my Neon experience has been meh. In that it is exactly what it was when I installed it. Haven't done more than install a few apps and copy documents onto it.

Haven't tweaked a thing. Not even changed a setting.

Only had one issue with the file indexer. Took a while to index the over 50k documents I had on it and was slowing it down.
I later found out that was the issue and would pause it when i needed to use the PC . But when it completed the index, it's been fine ever since.

Doesn't get in my way so I'm good
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:57pm On Jul 12, 2018
4llerbuntu:

Gnome 3 didn't agree with my ancient hardware(kept freezing) plus my dislike of that DE is known. Ubuntu moving to it was a bummer for me.

Used it a bit though, then ran into some funny issue I can't exactly recall so I switched.

To be fair though, my Neon experience has been meh. In that it is exactly what it was when I installed it. Haven't done more than install a few apps and copy documents onto it.

Haven't tweaked a thing. Not even changed a setting.

Only had one issue with the file indexer. Took a while to index the over 50k documents I had on it and was slowing it down.
I later found out that was the issue and would pause it when i needed to use the PC . But when it completed the index, it's been fine ever since.

Doesn't get in my way so I'm good

My hardware too isn't particularly high, that's why I use mate or xfce or sometimes cinnamon
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 1:51am On Jul 13, 2018
Woah, nice to know there is someone else using KDE Neon. I switched from Kubuntu to KDE Neon when i bought a second hand laptop which I dedicated to Linux.

4llerbuntu:
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:37am On Jul 13, 2018
blackweaver:

My hardware too isn't particularly high, that's why I use mate or xfce or sometimes cinnamon

Which distro are you using cinnamon/mate on?

Don't tell me Mint.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flex04(m): 11:16am On Jul 13, 2018
Please o, somebody should help a brother in need, i need two OS now ubuntu and Kali, if you have the installation disk or file please help a bro... live around mainland, don't mind coming to the island if need be

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 1:54am On Jul 15, 2018
4llerbuntu:

Don't tell me Mint.

grin grin grin You hate Mint? I have only installed it on a VM and not used it for long but i think its good distro and good for new users.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2018
4llerbuntu:

Don't tell me Mint.

Why, what is wrong with mint? I dual boot between ubuntu mate and linux mint but cinnamon is on mint
Re: Ubuntu Linux by maxjax(m): 3:47pm On Jul 16, 2018
Linux mint 19 tara
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:49pm On Jul 16, 2018
blackweaver:

Why, what is wrong with mint? I dual boot between ubuntu mate and linux mint but cinnamon is on mint

All that green. Seriously, I don't like it.

Backlog of beef with Clem and his Ubuntu sniping to gain users for Mint.

And I don't like Mint apps, their software app, duplication.
Pretending to be a standalone distro but really just a Ubuntu spin.

Yes. I've got beef.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:17am On Jul 17, 2018
4llerbuntu:

All that green. Seriously, I don't like it.

Backlog of beef with Clem and his Ubuntu sniping to gain users for Mint.

And I don't like Mint apps, their software app, duplication.
Pretending to be a standalone distro but really just a Ubuntu spin.

Yes. I've got beef.

Heh, I actually just see mint as another flavour of ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Kheeng1: 12:58am On Jul 18, 2018
You can get a foldable desk for your laptop here https://abledroid.com/best-folding-desk-pro/ check this out and pick the most affordable desk to buy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 10:05am On Jul 24, 2018
I booted up my Debian OS this morning and I found the following message displayed on the screen

File system of the root system failed
The root filesystem on the /dev/sda1 requires a manual fsck
/bin/sh: can't access tty;

What can I do to correct the errors?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:10pm On Jul 24, 2018
purplekayc:
I booted up my Debian OS this morning and I found the following message displayed on the screen

File system of the root system failed
The root filesystem on the /dev/sda1 requires a manual fsck
/bin/sh: can't access tty;

What can I do to correct the errors?

Do you have a livecd or an installation thumbdrive? Boot with that and do your fsck from there
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 2:02pm On Jul 24, 2018
blackweaver:

Do you have a livecd or an installation thumbdrive? Boot with that and do your fsck from there
I did a fsck check a while ago without the installation disks and it fixed the problem.
Am told it's temporary ,hope it will not return.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:57pm On Jul 24, 2018
purplekayc:
I did a fsck check a while ago without the installation disks and it fixed the problem.
Am told it's temporary ,hope it will not return.

It's usually temporary, as long as you don't have a bad hard drive

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.