Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (94) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463059 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:58pm On Oct 19, 2011
@4ller i may be wrong, but i'm not sure mint will go the unity/gnome3 way just yet, especially since they are sort of tending more towards debian now, will try to check it up just to be sure
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:08am On Oct 20, 2011
ok checking one of the forums it seems there'll be 2 gnome-based versions of mint, one based on gnome 2.32 and the other on gnome 3.x, we'll see how that works out
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 12:22pm On Oct 22, 2011
I upgraded a few days ago and I have to say I like it. It's faster than natty, and much more stable than most launch versions are. I'm already used to unity so I don't have any problems there. Pretty good release.

Also, I finally tried gnome shell and I serously don't like it. I'm not sure why exactly, but it just feels wrong. Maybe I need to experience it in a purpose-built distro. The only thing I like about it is the hot corners which I was already using in natty.

Also, if you are running ubuntu in a laptop, make sure you install the jupiter applet. The newer kernels suck battery like a bîtch!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^^^

Thanks pal. I will try to install the Jupiter applet as long as it is compatible with Oneiric. I hate a situation of my battery runs down very fast, though, I haven't experienced that with Oneiric.

NB: The repository add link doesn't seem to work.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/jupiter
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install jupiter

Not only that the source code seems to generate several bugs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:28pm On Oct 25, 2011
do you have access to decent internet?

do you wanna watch live streams of foreign stations for free? 

maybe even get football if u look hard enough

then:
install sopcast.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/install-sopcast-player-in-ubuntu-1110.html

love it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:26am On Oct 27, 2011
@4ller
you know for a moment i was wondering whether your account was compromised - till i read through your post
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:35am On Oct 27, 2011
^^^^^
grin grin grin grin grin grin

sopcast is a very nice open secret, just thought id share with folks here though im sure some of our illustrious marketers would like nothing more than to charge a fee for a pdf. those folks have some nerve u know.
\

@lynxnoon and @all. i am pleased to inform you that the wifi tether function is back working grin

i tried it yesterday,, and thats what iv been using with my fone at work, even right now.
create a wireless network. preferably WPA or even free. connect it, connect ur modem (im using starcomms evdo)

search for the connection with your fone, it should connect and surf. mine does anyway.

subsequent times, if u wanna connect t again, u most likely wont see it in the drop down menu for network manager so click on the create wireless network again, but when it brings u the box, click on the drop down thingy where it says new, u will see your previously created network there, select it, and connect.

thats one less lynxnoon complaint grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:50pm On Oct 27, 2011
@4llerbe
trust me na wink , . . . already tried it out and also i think it can do wireless hotspot for GSM Networks (connection was successful but didnt last long, network wahala i guess undecided)
whats really pissing me off now is this "AIRPLANE MODE" set as default on each network protocol
who told them i need to put my pc on 'AIRPLANE MODE'?!! abegii!! angry grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:01pm On Oct 27, 2011
thanks to gnome3 for that ish, at times i wonder is gnome realise this UI (huge onscreen keyboard,radio buttons, things like airplane mode etc) is so blatantly aimed at tablets. funny thing is nobody is slapping it on a tablet. or has anyone seen a tablet with gnome shell?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by netotse(m): 12:22am On Oct 28, 2011
Hey pple,

So far I'm doing ok, no withdrawal symptoms, still have a windows partition but haven't had to use it ever since I installed my office 2007 with wine,

I need help with an issue, I'm unable to tether my phone to my computer via usb(I use an N900), with bluetooth it works like a charm but with usb it never connects. . .

can anyone shed more light? I've tried searching on the internet for a solution but maybe I'm not using the right terms. . .

I'm using 11.04
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:02pm On Oct 28, 2011
netotse:

Hey pple,

So far I'm doing ok, no withdrawal symptoms, still have a windows partition but haven't had to use it ever since I installed my office 2007 with wine,

I need help with an issue, I'm unable to tether my phone to my computer via usb(I use an N900), with bluetooth it works like a charm but with usb it never connects. . .

can anyone shed more light? I've tried searching on the internet for a solution but maybe I'm not using the right terms. . .

I'm using 11.04

erm really?

thats very very surprising. i remember i used to plug in the usb, then select PC Suite mode on the fone.
configure your service provider APN as appropriate in network manager and it will connect.

for a linux fone, not being able to tether is very very surprising? is it that the PC does not detect the fone modem at all?
as far as i know, when i was using that fone, that was all i used to do.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:10pm On Oct 28, 2011
1. make sure the usb cable is ok
2. make sure the usb port you are using on your PC is ok,

those things behave irrationally at times. on my PC my modem works only in one port. on the rest it is detected, but it will never connect undecided undecided

3. if the above is ok, make sure u set the usb connection on the phone to PC suite mode.

4. if its still not working, try restart the PC with the phone connected in PC SUITE mode.

5. if its still not working, open a terminal, type lsusb

post the output here, lets see if the modem is detected at all.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by eosho: 1:27am On Oct 29, 2011
nice piece, keep it up grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:46am On Oct 29, 2011
Interesting, i checked distrowatch.com and it seems ubuntu's page hits are on the decline; agreed they're still no1 but if you check hits per day for the last 7 days mint is actually on top. This is the first time i've seen that happen so soon after an ubuntu release; people must really be annoyed at the unity/gnome3 interface thingy. one thing they could do to make things less annoying is to make the sidebar moveable
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:05am On Oct 29, 2011
blackweaver:

Interesting, i checked distrowatch.com and it seems ubuntu's page hits are on the decline; agreed they're still no1 but if you check hits per day for the last 7 days mint is actually on top. This is the first time i've seen that happen so soon after an ubuntu release; people must really be annoyed at the unity/gnome3 interface thingy. one thing they could do to make things less annoying is to make the sidebar moveable
same here
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:57am On Oct 29, 2011
Lawd!!! I hate unity and gnome3, Its making my transition from natty to onieric horrible, Everything isn't they way/where they used to be.

For starters, what are the guys at Ubuntu/Gnome thinking? Where is good old appearance properties? What they've got now is less than useful in my opinion. Seems like they are under the impression users should not have the power to choose their own themes now!! Talk about freedom!!

Its even so annoying the way gtk "themes" that don't work well with all windows are installed, jeez, i am losing my mind here. I cant seem to find out how to change my fonts even without installing a "tweak tool". Imagine, even my shutdown option is missing in the menu natively!!! Haba?? Talking about things missing, WTF happened to my minimize/maximize window buttons?

Unity? hmmmmm, where do i start Global menu? more like globally screwing me!! Must I scroll to the top of my screen just to access options for an app/window I'm using @ the bottom right corner of my screen? Whoever thought of this must love Astral traveling. And the dash icon size? really? They for kuku make am fill my entire desktop na!

One of my appeal for linux is the idea I could make it what I want it to be, but with the hiding of configuration options, these chaps at ubuntu/gnome are making me frown seriously, seriously!!

Maybe I should just go KDE, atleast, to me, both would be new desktop environments, only KDE has been around longer and hopefully saner!  angry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:45am On Oct 29, 2011
I remember, Linus Torvalds used to complain about gnome (2.x) that it made it so hard to do some types of
customisation that were quite easy in kde; i wonder what he would say about gnome3x and unity

Edit: apparently Torvalds didn't like kde4 and switched to gnome (while it was still 2.x); now with this gnome3 thingy
he's apparently switched to xfce
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:47am On Oct 29, 2011
to corroborate my last statement you can check out this link:
http://www.osnews.com/story/25022
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:24am On Oct 30, 2011
"One of my appeal for linux is the idea I could
make it what I want it to be, but with the hiding
of configuration options, these chaps at ubuntu/
gnome are making me frown seriously,
seriously!!"

funny thing is this is supposedly why linux is not mainstream. people keep pointing out that editing config files, using terminals etc is not user friendly etc. and that is one of the advantages of windows and OSX over linux. how many people customise windows installs? how tweakable is it, how many will ever tweak a reg entry? what ever MS drops on their laps they take without complaining, just look at the mess the proposed metroui is

then another set of folks then come up and shout that thats the best thing about linux etc. it must be a terrible experience designing for linux desktops.

personally im not complaining too much seeing that i had been using unity in 11.04. sure it could be better but im adapted. as far as im concerned the entire mess is Gnome projects fault.

with all the evil vitriol poured on stallman for the unity idea, its obvious now that he was smart. its just too bad ubuntu has to hold gnome project's hand all the way, those guys are spoiling the desktop experience. that Gnome shell is atrocious, the gnome 3 libraries are a mess and incomplete. the only reason its passable now is cos canonical went on unity, without ubuntu gnome desktop is a second class fad, most distros excel at KDE and other desktops. i bet canonical regrets relegating KDE now,

sighs, just look at how long and hard it is for gnome to improve nautilus, the gnome 3 is seriously deficient still, despite the fact they started work over a year before canoncal started unity, within 8months unity is far more useable than gnome-shell thats been two years or more in development.

btw u can now move the unity bar to the bottom with a dirty hack but it works, check omgubuntu for the how to.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:03am On Oct 31, 2011
just like i suspected: mcheeeew

in an interview with ZDNets Steven J.
Vaughan-Nichols , Ubuntu founder Mark
Shuttleworth has spoken of plans to bring
Ubuntu to mobile devices, tablets and TVs.
Linux for even more human beings

In his pre- UDS chat with ZDNet, Shuttleworth
said called the move ‘a natural expansion [of]
Ubuntu as Linux for human beings.’
“As people have moved from desktop to new
form factors for computing, it’ s important for us
to reach out to out community on these
platforms. So, we’ll embrace the challenge of
how to use Ubuntu on smartphones, tablets and
smart-screens .”

Now I know what you’re thinking: “Android.”
Vaughan-Nicols put the proverbial white-
elephant in the room to Shuttleworth, who was
more than optimistic about Ubuntu’s chances
against it: -
“The device world is highly competitive and
highly dynamic, while Android and iOS
dominate handheld devices, disruptive elements
could still establish themselves. Therefore,
Ubuntu and Windows can still be a real force.
…from the industry viewpoint, Google
acquisition Of Motorola Mobility has shook up
the hardware vendors, so some of them are
looking for non- Android alternatives.”
And Ubuntu tablets?
“We’ve also already heard from people who are
already shipping tablets that they want Ubuntu
on the tablet. ”

I’ve also heard from people who
are already buying tablets – and they want
Ubuntu on the tablet, too! wink

Ubuntu 14.04
Before you get too exited, I should point out
that you won’t be powering up your flat-screen
TV to the sound of Ubuntu’ s familiar jungle
chimes, or prodding your finger on a 100%
tablet- optimised Unity desktop until around
Ubuntu 14.04 – that’s April 2014, fact fans.
And whilst that date may seem a long way off,
it’ s potentially for the best.

“Smart TVs” haven’t really taken off as many
had predicted – Ubuntu can seize on the “why
not” and bring its own value to this area.
Non-Apple tablet sales have only just begun to
take off – perhaps Windows 8 will ignite this
market further as users seek a device with more
oomph than Android?
And in a world of vying smartphones OSes
(from Bada to iOS) the exact void a ‘disruptive
element’ could fill has yet to be
properly identified. I mean, good- will can only
take you os far, right Maemo?
But it’s an exciting prospect, isn’t it?

BTW, can someone recommend a full featured twitter client?

im still hating on Gwibber. and i dont want tweetdeck anymore, it runs slow and buggy for me
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:36pm On Nov 01, 2011
i'm surprised the guy's even waiting till 2014;
sorry i can't help you with the tweeting (actually i'm not); i DON'T do twitter
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 01, 2011
^^^
Whats's your favorite Linux distribution?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ektbear: 1:57am On Nov 04, 2011
Kubuntu rawwks.

I love it grin

So happy I didn't get a Mac.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by henryskywalker2003(m): 11:27am On Nov 05, 2011
Ubuntu is kinda getting far from the great OS it once was. In my desktop (1gb ram and a pentium dual core), it runs slowly sometimes and wheneva am installing a package, the installation slows the system down so much that I have to wait for the installation to finish before doing anything. My latest woe now is that after updating my system last week, I found out that I can mount ntfs drives/partition but won't have write access to them. Kinda like way back then when linux was still grappling with ntfs filesystems. Anybody having similar problems or solution to it. I've googled already but came up with nothing helpful for now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 3:44pm On Nov 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

Kubuntu rawwks.

I love it grin

So happy I didn't get a Mac.
Just starting off with Kubuntu, so far so good. I've got both Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed on separate machines, I'd keep the first one that warms up into my heart, RIP to the other!! grin

@henryskywalker2003
thats rather strange, the NTFS ish. The only thing I experience was from the live CD, I couldn't mount NTFS drives, asides that, it works fine after installing.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:00pm On Nov 05, 2011
ntfs-3G package.

install synaptic, use it to check if that package is installed. also try installing the pakages with ntfs links with synaptic
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 8:15pm On Nov 08, 2011
@4llerbuntu

If you're still looking for an alternative twitter client, you can check out polly. Its still in alpha but its surprisingly quite feature filled and stable. Its not yet in d repos and doesn't even have a ppa (at least last time i checked) but you can download a .deb from the project's launchpad page. check it out here https://launchpad.net/polly

As for ubuntu on phones and tablets, i actually think its a good idea. while i don't really see myself using an Ubuntu powered phone, I definitely can envisage using an Ubuntu powered laptop. More importantly, just like what windows is doing with Windows 8 and Windows Phone, Ubuntu on all form factors will be perfectly compatible with each other and this will give you an apple like ecosystem, sans the excessive closed ecosystem.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:06pm On Nov 08, 2011
@henry, if you think Ubuntu is slow you should try opensuse - annoyance galore; generally i feel .deb -based distros install packages faster than .rpm - based. On thing you can try if you're not sure is to use the command - line based installer: apt-get . If that's much faster the problem may be something to do with your synaptic
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:06am On Nov 09, 2011
Wow, this unity thing is not paying ubuntu at all; just been at distrowatch .com and for the first time in a long time, mint has more hits per day than ubuntu for the last 3 months, 30 days, and 7 days and mint 12 is not out yet!; people must really be mad at ubuntu. In fact in the last 7 days mint, fedora and opensuse have better hits per day. I don't think i've ever seen ubuntu drop to no 4 before. And I for one can't wait for mint12 to come out. Yes they'll be using gnome 3 but you'll still be able to get familiar menus; check: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1851
Re: Ubuntu Linux by henryskywalker2003(m): 1:34pm On Nov 09, 2011
@4ller, I finally fixed it by uninstalling ntfsprogs and installing ntfs-3g in its place. I can read and write ntfs filesystems now.
@blackweaver, it doesn't matter what installer am using, dpkg, aptitude, USC, gdebi etc. tried all of them. It's smooth sailing when it's downloading the packages but when it starts the actual installations, it slows the system down badly.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
@ muyiscoi, i know polly, lol. the green bird, dont like using alpha ware.

@ weaver. sigh, the beef foe canonical has really taken off, people who know next to nothing about desktops and people who started using linux 7 months ago also go online to bad mouth Unity!!

for me its a passing fad. unless the generality are going back to windows, the situation will soon clear. besides, ubuntu still does Gnome desktops too, only just not default.

because if u examine most of the complaints well, they actually do not stem from Unity, or are simply Gnome 3 issues. most of the absent functionality is a gnome issue, not ubuntu or unity. unless and until Gnome project sorts those out, then its gonna be like that.

like i always try to point out, Unity became possible because of the rubbish going on with Gnome project. as far as i can also recall, the prevalent desktop for linux is still gnome, and then KDE.

the other ones, fluxbox, LXDE are niche desktops, u are not going to entice anyone from windows with a fluxbox desktop, and truth be told they are also limited. only seasoned linux users use such things.

so for all the complaints about Ubuntu, the other distros are using Gnome and KDE too. unless of course their tweaks are better then canonical's
as far as im concerned, im tired of reading all the whining, its spoiling my internet experience right now. if i was a newbie at this point and i see all these whiners, i most def would not use linux anymore. so if truly ubuntu is gonna go down, we should see an upsurge in KDE adoption. thats not the case.

its even more vexing when u see someone with years of linux experience complaining about a desktop, when he can always install any other "better" desktop. only noobs are stuck with default, and if a noob never used Gnome 2 how is he gonna complain about it being missing?

as for MINT, sorry but from what i saw, THEY ARE HIGHLY CONFUSED. i knew this was gonna happen. they are in so much love with that their Menu.
the new gnome/unity ideas have jettisoned that and are designed differently. that Mint desktop is too silly and confused for words. Gnome 3 is a pain for everyone. what they should have done is fork gnome 2 and continue wasting their time maintaining it.

problem is, they actually dont do anything other than install codecs and tweaks and that their useless windows menu. they should build their entire desktop from scratch with gnome libraries. if they do that and not rely on Ubuntu to do the grunt work, they might actually be better. isnt that what ElementaryOS chaps are doing?

what annoys me most is they actually badmouth canonical. rubbish. goodluck with that,

for me, im gonna wait till that chap that does Pinguy OS. thats a chap with commonsense. he simply moved on with the times. i liked his mockups of his Gnome Shell desktop. when he releases a stable version, i gonna try it for another feel of a gnome 3 desktop when tweaked. right now i cant stand gnome shell
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
@4ller

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.