Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (96) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463346 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:36am On Nov 19, 2011
on a different note, i sometimes feel like saying something cheeky when i see some thread titles like for instance: "How Can I Completely Uninstall Norton 360 From My Sysem" i'm tempted to say "fast and pray" but i suspect some people won't see the funny side of that
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 20, 2011
i dont think unity is that hard to get used to, am a 2 month ubuntu user i chose it because somethings are easier done on linux than windows the only issue is knowing my terminal commands and others left to me ubuntu is sweet, or is it because of my apache/php knowledge that makes linux easy for me to grasp. ? could be ?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 20, 2011
any tuts on equivalent of windows commands to linux terminal
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 12:27pm On Nov 21, 2011
blackweaver:

on a different note, i sometimes feel like saying something cheeky when i see some thread titles like for instance: "How Can I Completely Uninstall Norton 360 From My Sysem" i'm tempted to say "fast and pray" but i suspect some people won't see the funny side of that
lol. . .so many times, I've got the urge to post replies like that!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:47pm On Nov 21, 2011
what/who is it that is deleting my posts?

its not the spambot.

hmmn, when i used to reply such posts, it was all out war regularly on computer board. nowadays i cherish my peace grin grin grin
i dont even bother to read most threads again. especially now that windows is distant memory for me.

still find it difficult to believe i actually went full linux. it was'nt easy at first, now i dont even remember. too bad im letting all my windows skills go to waste but then: Welcome to the good life grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 1:00pm On Nov 21, 2011
blackweaver:

@lynx
on a brighter note, this issue has made this thread a more popular place
blackweaver:

@lynx
well you have to remember that the title of this thread IS ubuntu linux
Guys dont get me wrong oh . . .
i just mentioned that as a form of sigh . . . .
i just hope they go back to the good ol gnome interface n not complicate issues with this unity thingy
there aint suppose to be "restrictions" as much as what we r seeing now
well i leave all the HARD CORE deliberations to the gurus in the house wink smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:27pm On Nov 21, 2011
they are never going back to the old interface.

the guys who make it have deprecated the old interface, even the fallback mode that looks like the old one is going to be dropped in Gnome 3.2. canonical is not going to spend its money/time maintaining gnome 2.x

secondly, everyone is unifying, and by that i mean major OS. Apple started it by making their desktop more like iOS.
windows came up with their atrocity called MetroUI. even the default desktop is NOT the same it used to be in WIN 8.
Gnome has gone boinkers

Ubuntu has always needed its distinct identity, hence Unity Now u most def cannot see default Ubuntu and mistake it for anor OS. before now every single gnome distro looked exactly the same!

thirdly, accept it or not, the tablets and smartfones have taken over, if u wanna remain relevant in peoples minds, u need a presence there.

funny thing is, if u step back and look at the improvements in Unity and Gnome Shell, u will be impressed, new ideas, new stuff. daily.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 22, 2011
pc guru:

1. netstat 2. exit 3. cd 4.ftp 5. tree 6. mkdir ,etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Feraz(m): 11:49am On Nov 22, 2011
. . . . Pls, how do i install softwares (say nokia pc suite, converters) on ubuntu? Whenever i try it, it does not install. . . . . . . .step by step help will be appreciated. . . . . . . . .thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 22, 2011
pc guru:

1. netstat 2. exit 3. cd 4.ftp 5. tree 6. mkdir ,etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:49am On Nov 23, 2011
Feraz:

. . . . Pls, how do i install softwares (say nokia pc suite, converters) on ubuntu? Whenever i try it, it does not install. . . . . . . .step by step help will be appreciated. . . . . . . . .thanks

actually it depends on the software type and what u want to do with it. for example ubuntu has quite decent support for hardware so most are recognised without need for drivers.

take the nokia phone u refer to, if u just want to use it as a modem, u dont need the pc suite, simply connect it in pc suite mode and network manager will detect the modem and u will be able to configure and use it to browse. but if its something else like media management, the media player can do that or u do it manually by using it in usb storage mode.

bt since they are windows programs, if u absolutely need to use them, u have two options

1: WINE
2: VIRTUALBOX

Wine is a native windows code executable runtime that lets u run a large number of wndows applications natively in linux like games. it has improved a,lot over time, but whilst its not flawless, it is quite ok.

however a limitation is that applications that require installing drivers for things like hardware that the linux system already provides for will not work with the new hardware. eg is the pc suite. so therefore ur nokia pc suite wont work properly with wine because,there are already drivers for the phone modem and mass storage.

u can google up more info abt it, or ask here. to install wine, simply look for it synaptic or run sudo apt-get install wine.

the other option is virtualbox. its a free virtualization software available on most operating system. it allows u to run other os . so for example, u can install and run windows in linux.

it requires decent hardware, very good processor, large ram, video card etc. u can also read up on this on google.

sorry im typing on a phone, so i cant elaborate, but u can ask further questions.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Feraz(m): 7:45pm On Nov 24, 2011
ok, will try what you've said. . . .thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:28pm On Nov 24, 2011
you see now, now that we've stopped complaining about unity/gnome3 the posts have become less frequent. Oya someone give us something to gist about
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 24, 2011
What are your favorite (Ubuntu) Linux commands?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:11am On Nov 25, 2011
does it have to be ubuntu? do you mean terminal commands?
anyway i like apt-get (i may be wrong but it feels faster than synaptic), also wvdial if ilm using a usb modem (sometimes i just get irritated with network manager), locate is very useful for searching files i can't remember where i put, grep
ok let me stop here for now, PHCN just struck again
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:33am On Nov 25, 2011
^^^
Lol, That's the much reason I put the word Ubuntu in bracket. Commands are only issued at the terminal in most Linux basic systems apart from using other terminal emulator-kind-of packages. chmod, apt-get and ls are my favorites.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:43am On Nov 25, 2011
@TarveLoPoveda
Üzgünüz ama biz burada türk anlamak yok.

(I love google translate!!! See as I dey form guru for here?)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:12pm On Nov 25, 2011
@maleeq
ve ben sadece söylemek üzereydim "türkçe konuşuyorum?"google translate için Tanrı'ya şükrediyorum
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 25, 2011
Lol, guys!!! grin grin grin. Are those Linux new syntaxes? shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:13am On Nov 26, 2011
use google trasnslate, you'll understand what we're saying
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:19am On Nov 27, 2011
Ok im idle.
I want to partition my htpc drive and put puppylinux on it. I miss itcheesy

Thing is i cant remember how to do a frugal install on linux box anymore, plus grub entries ish, the line thingy for puppy. The ext4 issue too etc etc

I could google it i know, but i prefer it here. Someborry helep me ooooo cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 5:54pm On Nov 27, 2011
everybody's favourite Ubuntu blog, OMGUbuntu published an expletives riddled rant concerning Ubuntu and Linux mint issue recently. Its been causing quite a stir on their comments thread, as well as on Facebook and Google+. You can check out the post here http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/dare-to-be-different-ubuntus-popularity-is-not-declining/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 5:56pm On Nov 27, 2011
@4llerbuntu I think the latest PinguyOS is out so you can use that to keep yourself busy. Don't know jack about puppy. Ran a live USB of it once n that's about it. never tried installing it. I seem to recall its anything but strait forward though
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 6:06pm On Nov 27, 2011
mint 12 has also been released today. official announcement here http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1889. download link here http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 27, 2011
^^^
I would possibly try that out over the weekend on live CD. Mint is really gaining ground than ever before. The reasons are not so clear order than it's customizable. The hits are huge when compare to Ubuntu at the moment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:37pm On Nov 27, 2011
wow so soon?
i really thought it would be at least december before they brought out a new release seeing that they already brought out a development release this month
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:58pm On Nov 28, 2011
Like a domino effect of mis-information, this week has been chock full of reports by tech news sites that Ubuntu’s market share is declining, being surpassed by the Ubuntu spin-off and close cousin Linux Mint.

The source of this dramatic revelation is none other than DistroWatch, the site that all Ubuntu haters love to quote, and all Ubuntu lovers love to hate.

Scanning the Internet recently for the word “Ubuntu” points us to a bunch of bogus articles written by the regular offenders (The Register, ZDNet, PCWorld) with damning titles such as “Ubuntu savaged by rivals infected with fondleslab fever” or “Ubuntu shows DistroWatch decline as Mint Soars.”

Many of these articles suggest that the backlash over the Unity desktop is to blame, as swarms of Ubuntu users flock to alternatives. This is complete nonsense, and these sites are just attempting to ride the Unity controversy train for another couple of stops for more page hits. Don’t join them.

Seeing as Canonical themselves aren’t pulling any punches (they rarely do) to refute the bogus claims perpetuated by these “tech sites” (which are really just hives of uninformed morons re-posting anything they see on ZDNet with a dramatic title that’s sure to attract a bunch of views, and hence ad clicks), I figured it was time for OMG! Ubuntu! to step in and clear the air with some hard facts.

You know it’s a sad day in tech journalism when we have to take the high ground and tell everyone not to panic. So here goes.

DistroWatch is not an accurate measurement of Linux distribution popularity. In fact it’s not an accurate measurement of anything. The only thing Distrowatch statistics tell you is how vain the fanboys are of any particular distribution. [size=14pt]It measures page views to each distributions’s information page. For example, when you visit distrowatch.com/arch, that adds a little bit to Arch’s relative popularity on Distrowatch.[/size] (As a side note, I want you to all go ahead and click on that link. Let’s see if we can make Arch the most popular Linux distribution in the world, and as a little treat, we may even get Steven J. Vaughan-Nicols to write an inflammatory article about it).

[size=17pt]
As a distribution becomes more mainstream like Ubuntu has, the number of views to the Ubuntu DistroWatch page will not increase in proportion to the actual number of users the distribution has.
[/size]This is simply because regular people using their computer don’t go and visit DistroWatch. In all likelihood, they probably haven’t even heard of DistroWatch. Ubuntu also doesn’t make a conscious effort to direct their user base to the Ubuntu DistroWatch page by posting the link all over their forums, documentation, blogs, press releases, and more.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:15pm On Nov 28, 2011
Mint is still GS, no matter how tuned up it is. If Mint really wanted to keep as close as possible to Classic Gnome 2 desktop they could have just used custom Gnome 3 session just like Cairo Dock. Currently their GS version is just a cheap copy of Gnome 2 (no way near as customizable and there is no Compiz).
MATE is more promising, but I doubt Mint and MATE guys could pull it off,

it is no way near a sufficient replacement of Gnome-Panel. It is faaaaaaaar from being that customizable and there is a distinct lack of Compiz, which means to flashy toys for the power users.Mint 12 might be good for newbies who don't like Unity/Gnome-Shell OTB UX, but it is NOT power user friendly.

I'm only saying that, cuz some people thing that Mint is a magical pill that will bring gnome-panel back from the dead - it will not. It might copy it, but that's all. MATE version is much, much more interesting, but AFAIK it's not even ported to GTK 3 and there is the bonobo stuff and so much more , i find it hard to believe that mint and mate folks could pull that off, it's ginormous project
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 5:40pm On Nov 28, 2011
Ok, I think I'd be taking back my previous rants about the Unity/Gnome3 a bit, I was just hesitant to change. But having used unity,(though after toiling round the net for some tweaks though), for over a month now, I am kinda "glued to it" grin Pretty nifty.

And really, I still wonder too, why people hail Mint when its basically Ubuntu still?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:32am On Dec 02, 2011
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has been released, with the code name 'Precise Pangolin'. I have downloaded it and waiting to burning the iso on a DVD by weekend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 6:07am On Dec 02, 2011
Correction,  Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Alpha 1 released.  smiley

Alphas are usually aimed at developers and testers, but I rank not amongst them. . .so, I wait till the Final release. (when most of the dirty work has been wiped clean)

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.