Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,886 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) (51826 Views)

Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? / My Road Trip From Lagos To Ibadan. Pictures! / Trip: Abuja - Enugu & Anambra, With My 605 V6 (1500 Km) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by dandollar1: 6:03pm On Jan 13, 2013
dan_dollar: Hello ikenna,sorry for derailing your thread,sort of.please could you help me on this?

I did an OBD scan on an 07 accord I just bought so I could be aware of any fault to enable me service before use.

The scan came out with these codes:

1.P2185... Engine coolant temp.sensor2 circuit high

2.P0141...02sensor heater circuit malfunction bank1 sensor2.

3.P0457...evaporative emission system leak detected(fuel cap loose/off).

It was observed that the fuel consumption was unusually high.

Please are these serious problems?

Can the normal roadside mechanics fix these?

I don't really know about cars as this would be my first,and I don't want any mechanic to damage my car.

Your input will be highly appreciated.
Thanx.
please boss na,help me attend to this.God bless you.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by ziccoit: 6:08pm On Jan 13, 2013
Ikenna351:

Its obvious, from your comments on this thread that you were born yesterday, too young to appreciate good things. Of course you were not there in those decades, so i wont blame you for not having a clue of how foolish your posts here sounded.

Seriously, so you consider only vehicles that appear in movies as only powerful ones? Not difficult to know who is still been breastfed.

Ikenna.

The guy's comment was quite hilarious. I felt like I was listening to " my papa is taller than yours" kind of talks among primary school pupils.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 7:13pm On Jan 13, 2013
dan_dollar: Hello ikenna,sorry for derailing your thread,sort of.please could you help me on this?

I did an OBD scan on an 07 accord I just bought so I could be aware of any fault to enable me service before use.

The scan came out with these codes:

1.P2185... Engine coolant temp.sensor2 circuit high

2.P0141...02sensor heater circuit malfunction bank1 sensor2.

3.P0457...evaporative emission system leak detected(fuel cap loose/off).

It was observed that the fuel consumption was unusually high.

Please are these serious problems?

Can the normal roadside mechanics fix these?

I don't really know about cars as this would be my first,and I don't want any mechanic to damage my car.

Your input will be highly appreciated.
Thanx.

You know this thread isnt supposed to here.

Anyway,

1. CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor). This sensor, usually located on thermostat housing, determines the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion chambers via injectors. It signals to ECU the temperature of coolant/cooling system. With the values it sends to ECU, the ECU uses it to command the injectors amount of fuel to inject in when cooling system/engine is cold,warm or at optimal temperature. That is to say, the CTS tells the engine ECU when engine is cold, warm or optimal engine temperature, and the ECU uses those values or signals it receives from the sensor to control the engine fuel consumption.

So when the sensor fails, it will always be signaling to ECU that the engine temperature is to cold and the ECU will constantly be commanding the injectors to inject excess fuel, since a cold engine needs excess fuel to start and run, but will reduce as the coolant temp reduces. So, i believe your car is having an excessive fueling issue,; running very thirsty.

2. Oxygen sensor:
Its also an injection sensor that determines the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion chambers. It primary function is to fine tune the amount of fuel that goes in. It does it via the exhaust. If the sensor senses excess fuel in the exhaust, after the engine has warmed (when the CTS is now signalling to ECU that engine temperature is warm,hot or optimal temp to reduce fuel that goes in), it will fine tune and brings it back to normal consumption. Its function usually starts when CTS has done its first part of its job, since the oxygen sensor heater will still have to heat before it starts it work well.

So, if failed, you will still get the excessive fueling issue. But note that if the CTS or anyother fuel related injection component fail, and the car is still been used for a long in that condition, it will kill the o2 sensor (oxygen sensor). So, it could be that the failure of your CTS led to failure of your o2, since black smoke hinders its smooth operation. Please, do know that o2 can still fail without the failure of other injection components. o2 sensor can also be damaged by bad fuel (low octane level), which is why failure of o2 is high in Nigeria because of poor quality of fuel sold here for us.

If i were you, I would still confirm with Digital Multimeter if those two sensors have really failed. Because if their sockets corrode, you will get those codes and symptoms as well. Cleaning the sensors will fix the problems, if they are the culprits. Each of the 2 sensors have factory values when engine is cold and hot. I would test them with DMM to be sure they dont give those values again before replacing them, since they are not cheap sensors. I think o2 sensor cost around 20k or so. So, you need to be sure you are buying and replacing what actually has failed. If you dont know to test those sensors, i can teach you, but not in this thread.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 5:31pm On Jan 18, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]IKENNA

Beautiful job... Again I say, very beautiful job..

1. I love your 505. I have dreams of buying one and restoring it to its original factory state (with a few modifications of my own.) I wonder if you know any place in Nigeria where car customization is done. I'm talking beyond wheels and tyres to suspension, engine replacement (should I decide to fit a bigger and more powerful engine into mine) and brakes. I am yet to decide between the 505 and the 504. But God knows I surely restoring one. It would be a 1 year project as I intend to pace myself. I have been told I will be able to buy a good peugeot in the east whenever I am ready, its just the restoration that I have no I dea where I would do it.

2. The state of the roads are wow!! I would have enjoyed pushing my vehicle through those roads.

3. Fuel consuption! WOW!!! That was a real shocker. I always thought stick shifts (coupled with carburetor pumps) would consume more.. HMMMM!!!!

4. Quality of your photographs are great.

5. The picture of Amawbia/Nise road brings memories.. You were barely 10minutes away from my home town of Agukwu Nri.

Beautiful thread, nice ride, lovely photographs. Please let me know abou point one should you have any ideas on that. [/b]

When I told a friend of mine in Australia that I wanted to sell my 605 V6, he said if I was living in Australia too, he would buy the 605 V6 from me and transfer the V6 engine from the 605 to his 504. This guy owns Peugeot 406 coupe V6, 505 diesel, 504 & 403(project car). He will be wedding soon and planned to use his 403 for the wedding.

504 & 505 are good for project cars. They can take any modifications you can give them. Some folks in Europe and Australia have installed V8 engines in their 504s & 505s.

Whichever you decide to buy, i would advice you look for a foreign assembled one. Why? They have better ground clearance to maintain the stability on high speed, considering that you are planning to swap in a more powerful engine, with or without wide alloy wheels/tyres. They all also came with 4 wheel disc brake. Such brake system will be good enough to handle a powerful engine, when in action, unlike the drum brake.

If you decide on 504, go for GL. It has rear independent differential, for better handling on sharp bend (just like 505), unlike the PAN assmbled 504s with Live differential. Even if you cant afford to convert it to v6 or v8, buy a 504 or 505 with XN1 engine with double barrel Carburetor. It can produce an amazing power when you push it hard. I used my dad's 504 GL with the double carb then, so i can vouch for that. It was a fun car!

Goodluck.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by 9icetoo(m): 1:00pm On Mar 14, 2013
Ikenna351: I drove straight to Shoprite, in Enugu town.

The tripmeter showed that Abuja to Enugu is 540 kilometers (336 miles).

Then, the fuel guage showed that the car consumed only 40 litres from Lokoja to Enugu. Meaning, the car consumed only 70 litres from Abuja to Enugu for 540 km. Not bad! Considering, the windows were up (A/C on) all through the journey. After i drove out of Shoprite, i refilled the tank and it took only 40.05 litres, meaning, the fuel gauge was correct. I didnt know the guage has been that accurate.

I calculated the consumption from Abuja ro Enugu and got 12.9L/100km or 21.8 mpg. I was impressed. Considering the amount of speed i did on that highway, i couldnt believe i could still get that consumption, even better than the factory mpg on highway for that car.

Ikenna.

Ur calculation was a bit off. its actually 7.7 km per liter of fuel. still pretty okay though considering its a v6.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 1:31pm On Mar 14, 2013
9icetoo:

Ur calculation was a bit off. its actually 7.7 km per liter of fuel. still pretty okay though considering its a v6.

Ok. Thanks.

I first calculated it in mpg. I think i made the mistake while converting the mpg to L/100km.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by itsmayiela(m): 10:01pm On Mar 14, 2013
nice travel account
highly scintillating and educative
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by auhanson(m): 4:32pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ikenna351: Arrived Lokoja.

I arrived Lokoja at 8:40am, meaning i spent 2hrs 40 mins, from Abuja to Lokoja. The Tripmeter indicated that Abuja to Lokoja was 212 kilometers.

Ikenna.

Your 505 is still very much intact, beautiful!!
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by OmoAkerele(m): 1:26am On Oct 06, 2013
@Ikenna351: I enjoyed your photo diary of your trip, reminds me of my own 505 V6 drive in 2007 from London to Lagos... I loved my 505. I see you’ve got a K&N air filter...nice one
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by FindOut(m): 1:35am On Oct 06, 2013
OmoAkerele: @Ikenna351: I enjoyed your photo diary of your trip, reminds me of my own 505 V6 drive in 2007 from London to Lagos... I loved my 505. I see you’ve got a K&N air filter...nice one

I REMEMBER YOU from 2011. A further glance through your posting history confirmed it. At the time you posted those pics n all, I dont think we had the car talk section then. So have you done another Europe to lagos journey since then? You could open a thread and post pics. cheesy
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 7:08am On Oct 06, 2013
OmoAkerele: @Ikenna351: I enjoyed your photo diary of your trip, reminds me of my own 505 V6 drive in 2007 from London to Lagos... I loved my 505. I see you’ve got a K&N air filter...nice one

Wow! You are the first Nairaland member i have met that have owned 505 V6 or have had ZN3J-PRV under his hood. That Lion is something else. Only a person that have owned one would understand. The aka "The King of the Lions" was not just given to her for mere sake back then in the '80s. It was exhibiting pure aggressive Lion character when in action, hence, the name. What more can i say ? I Love My Baby!

Yes, i installd a cone filter, though the brand is Spectre, not the K&N. It has turned the engine note to something else.

Even though i have used a 605 V6 before and now have a 406 V6 as my daily driver, but there is something, a character about this Lion which the other two lack. Am just a lucky guy!

Good morning.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 06, 2013
Really learnt a lot from this. But I am a car novice. Please I want to. Know the performance of a golf 3 2.0 DOHC.
Is it suitable for long distance journey. Cos the last time mine was use for long distance journey was from sokoto - lagos same day.

Just wanted to learn about cars.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 7:29am On Oct 06, 2013
ibrodex: Really learnt a lot from this. But I am a car novice. Please I want to. Know the performance of a golf 3 2.0 DOHC.
Is it suitable for long distance journey. Cos the last time mine was use for long distance journey was from sokoto - lagos same day.

Just wanted to learn about cars.

Treating the above post here will derail this thread. You can start a thread on it or post it in VW thread. Thanks.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 06, 2013
Ikenna351: They have better ground clearance to maintain the stability on high speed, considering that you are planning to swap in a more powerful engine, with or without wide alloy wheels/tyres.

Ikenna.

Just a little correction here, Ikenna - lower ride height is best for high-speed stability. More aerodynamic too, which affects the way the car behaves. Higher ride height benefits low speeds over uneven road surfaces.

On a different note, I still haven't ruled out a Phase II 505 with an Audi V8 motor, just a matter of finding the right project car, LHD or RHD. smiley

1 Like

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by OmoAkerele(m): 12:36am On Oct 07, 2013
@Ikenna351; here are a few photographs of my beloved 505s in the Sahara, it took us 4 weeks from London/Cologne to Akure (Ondo state).

The top pic is Christmas eve 2007 in Djanet Algeria
The bottom pic is me driving the GTI station wagon while my brother is following in the V6

2 Likes

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by wwwkaycom(m): 9:15am On Oct 07, 2013
OmoAkerele: @Ikenna351; here are a few photographs of my beloved 505s in the Sahara, it took us 4 weeks from London/Cologne to Akure (Ondo state).

The bottom pic is me driving the GTI station wagon while my brother is following in the V6
OmoAkerele I fear you o. From London to Akure ke? How was the experience? The heat and dust of the sahara desert, the touareg fighters, the raiders, the desert marauders, you get liver sha! Anyway, I sence some remote assistance from Orunmila himself since you are also omoorunmila, lol... this is great, daring and adventurous, cheers!
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 2:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
OmoAkerele: @Ikenna351; here are a few photographs of my beloved 505s in the Sahara, it took us 4 weeks from London/Cologne to Akure (Ondo state).

Lovely!

I can see your GTI SW8, with the ZDJL engine, is 1989 model. The side skirts said so.

If I have my way, I would like to do such trip/adventure with my Baby. Am seriously under-using her. Even with all the trips I have done with her so far since I got her, she still looks sad. Why? She wants more. Lol!

Please, you can send more of the pics to my personal mail address to feed my eyes: ikenna351@gmail.com.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by tdie: 2:54pm On Oct 07, 2013

Choi... Seriously drooling all over the pics...
Wouldn't mind doing a road trip to Ghana like Shagati, Maybe over Christmas if I can find other interested NLers... Ikenna are you interested?? smiley
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 3:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
@ OmoAkerele,

It just occurred to me that we both have similar numbers on our 505 V6 number plates. We both have "505" on our number plates. Lol!

Attached is the most recent picture of my Baby, taken last month or so. You can see the number plate, if you look closely.

Ikenna

Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 3:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
t-die:

Choi... Seriously drooling all over the pics...
Wouldn't mind doing a road trip to Ghana like Shagati, Maybe over Christmas if I can find other interested NLers... Ikenna are you interested?? smiley

Unfortunately, I will be doing the coming Xmas holiday trip with my 406 V6. Such trip you are suggesting will be more convenient for me when am on annual leave. Let's see how next year goes.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by yungboss(m): 5:43am On Oct 08, 2013
These are the *real* cars, I don't know if the cars we have today can compare to what we had in the 80s and 90s...
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by thelegend1(m): 10:24am On Oct 08, 2013
Ikenna351: @ OmoAkerele,

It just occurred to me that we both have similar numbers on our 505 V6 number plates. We both have "505" on our number plates. Lol!

Attached is the most recent picture of my Baby, taken last month or so. You can see the number plate, if you look closely.

Ikenna

you sure know how to maintain a car... a late 80s early 90s model car.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by bissalla: 4:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
hello Ikenna,

Please idea on what it takes to travel from Lagos to Enugu? In terms of road conditions, distance to cover etc.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 4:35pm On Oct 10, 2013
bissalla: hello Ikenna,

Please idea on what it takes to travel from Lagos to Enugu? In terms of road conditions, distance to cover etc.

Sorry, I don't know Lagos to Onitsha road.

Ikenna.
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 24, 2014
MR IKENNA,dddid you install d A/C to ur 505 or its faxtory fitted
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 10:49pm On Jul 24, 2014
SAVEDBABA: MR IKENNA,dddid you install d A/C to ur 505 or its faxtory fitted

The car came with it. Though, I have replaced the compressor, after one AC technician damaged the compressor. Long story.

Ikenna
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 24, 2014
Ikenna351:

The car came with it. Though, I have replaced the compressor, after one AC technician damaged the compressor. Long story.

Ikenna
i want to know more abt this car cos i plan of getting one,if possible do u tink i can find one with power windows,automatic gear,and A/c
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 11:02pm On Jul 24, 2014
SAVEDBABA: i want to know more abt this car cos i plan of getting one,if possible do u tink i can find one with power windows,automatic gear,and A/c

All Peugeot 505 V6 have 4 powers windows (front and rear windows) as standard. Automatic transmission in V6 is optional. Most of the 505 V6 have factory AC. But some don't. But all European spec 505 V6 Executive have A/C.

It's easier to find 505 GTI than a V6 one. The V6 is very scarce, because owners hardly let them go, considering the engine is almost indestructible, as long as there is oil in it and cooling system is intact.

Ikenna
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 11:04pm On Jul 24, 2014
SAVEDBABA: i want to know more abt this car cos i plan of getting one,if possible do u tink i can find one with power windows,automatic gear,and A/c

All Peugeot 505 V6 have 4 powers windows (front and rear windows) as standard. Automatic transmission in V6 is optional. In fact, there seem to be more 505 auto transmission than manual. Manuals are scare commodity. Lol! Most of the 505 V6 have factory AC. But some don't. But all European spec 505 V6 Executive have A/C.

It's easier to find 505 GTI than a V6 one. The V6 is very scarce, because owners hardly let them go, considering the engine is almost indestructible, as long as there is oil in it and cooling system is intact.

Ikenna
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 24, 2014
Ikenna351:

All Peugeot 505 V6 have 4 powers windows (front and rear windows) as standard. Automatic transmission in V6 is optional. Most of the 505 V6 have factory AC. But some don't. But all European spec 505 V6 Executive have A/C.

Ikenna
can i get any with automatic transmission and A/C in Nigeria,and if possible wots d price range
Re: Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) by Ikenna351(m): 11:12pm On Jul 24, 2014
SAVEDBABA: can i get any with automatic transmission and A/C in Nigeria,and if possible wot d price range

505 V6 in Nigeria? Hmm! It's like searching for a Ferrari in Nigeria to buy. Lol!

Seriously, it will be difficult to find one. But I would suggest to start from Eastern states (Enugu, Anambra, etc). You will find a lot of imported 505 on their roads, especially in their state capitals.

Like I said earlier, 505 V6 have both auto and manual transmission. That is Peugeot tradition. Every of their cars have manual and auto transmissions, even till date.

Ikenna

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

See The Real Meaning Of The Logo Of Mercedes Benz! / Innoson Backs The #ENDSARS Protest / The New 2018 Volvo XC60 Is One Of The Safest Suvs Ever Made

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.