Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar (5670 Views)

“my Wife Beats Me Every Day” Man Cries For Divorce / My Wife Beats Me On Slight Provocation / Photo: Gigantic Wife Beats Husband Mercilessly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by blacklion(m): 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2008
Wife beats husband to death in Calabar | Print | E-mail
Written by John Ighodaro
Saturday, 23 February 2008
Saturday Vanguard

When Mr. Frank Enya Edu, a lecturer at the Cross River State University of Technology (CRUTECH) first met his wife, Christiana, seven years ago, he had no idea she would be his instrument of transition to the great beyond.
Days ago, however, after a not-so-blissful union which regularly featured violent confrontations and fights, the final fight between the couple turned fatal for Mr. Edu who until his death was pursuing a PhD at the University of Calabar as well as being a lecturer at CRUTECH.

According to Saturday Vanguard sources, trouble between the two largely stemmed from the man’s insistence that the woman go back to school to update her education.

Unknown to the man, the woman had a deep-seated desire not to go to school. She had once attempted the Senior Secondary School Examinations and the result was not quite satisfactory and she had since had no intention of going back to retake the examination. This fact, her husband ignored or did not seem to understand.
Oftentimes, the husband would raise the issue of her going to re-enroll for the SSSCE to enable her garner enough credits for admission into the university and she repeatedly told him she was not interested and even suggested to him that she would like to be a farmer.

The husband was uncomfortable with a situation where he would have a PhD, but his wife would have no SSSCE or a degree at least.

Narrating the story, the elder brother to the deceased, Mr. John Edu said, “the matter started some months ago when my younger brother, was offered appointment with the Cross River State University of Technology, as a lecturer in the Department of Chemical Sciences.

“There have been trouble in the house over the need for her to go back to school, and our family members have made several attempts to settle the matter to no avail.

“The woman said she does not want to go to school, instead let the husband use the money for their wedding. My brother on several occasions invited our family, pleading with her that he was offered appointment just some months ago. She should go back to school, let the wedding be done after he has settled down on the job. She said that would happen only over her dead body.”

Continuing, John said, “based on that the husband decided that if she did not want to go further in her education, she should go back to the village and continue with farming, because he was complaining always that she was embarrassing him in the house with her behaviour each time they had a visitor.”
Chritiana, according to John, apparently interpreted the decision by her husband to have her go back to the village as a plot to do away with her and marry an educated woman.

His words: “They have always been quarelling and fighting over the matter, and actually, there was a scuffle in the house at that moment before my brother was killed. The truth is that the woman is a fighter. She has been fighting even in motor parks,” he added.

John said he was not there when the fight that claimed his brother’s life took place, but that he gathered from neighbours that when the fight started, it lasted for some time, then his brother left the house.
His words: “My brother left the house, and came back about an hour later, thinkng it was all over only for the woman to launch another fight against him. I was not there when it happened, but somebody called me soon after the fight to inform me that my brother had been killed.

“From what I was told, as my brother returned to the house, the woman confronted him again, asking him if he had come back to the house to meet the illiterate woman. She said if my brother did not kill her she would kill him.”
It was gathered from neighbours that as soon as another round of quarrel erupted in their room, the woman allegedly locked the bedroom door, picked a stick and with it, hit her husband on the head.
Frank, it is said was at that moment trying to unlock the bedroom door. “It was apparent”, said John, “that each of them had a cane because my brother died with stripes all over his body and the woman is now in the police cell with the similar lacerations on her body.”

Giving her own side of the story, Christiana blamed the fatal fight on her husband’s conduct.
According to her, “it is a lie, I did not use any stick on him. He started the fight. After beating me with the cane, it broke into pieces. He took a second cane, after that he took a third cane, so I got angry, seized it and started beating him. It was the cane that I used in beating him, so he fell and hit his head on the wall and fainted.”
It was at that moment that the woman panicked, bundled the husband on to an motorbike to the hospital where he was confirmed dead.

Saturday Vanguard gathered that the marriage while it lasted was blessed with three kids. The first child of the union, Favour Edu (7) who said he witnessed the fight told the police: “it is mummy who killed our daddy. Mummy used a stick and hit him on the head and he fell down and died
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by TOYOSI20(f): 5:56pm On Feb 24, 2008
Haaaaaaa!, too bad. lipsrsealed
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by olanajim(m): 6:15pm On Feb 24, 2008
It is time bomb. I love that story!

I have read it on the day it happened. I think parents have a hand in it and that is their cross.

It would serve a big lesson to men too, and the women with stone heart.

Everybody, the lecturer, the wife, the parents, and the country share the blame. Everybody is a loser.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by LadyT(f): 6:23pm On Feb 24, 2008
Sorry can someone tell why they stayed together? animals,
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by tRoOE(f): 9:11pm On Feb 24, 2008
LOL what a man do a woman can do it better
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by ifyalways(f): 10:47pm On Feb 24, 2008
. . .good for them.sweeeeeeeeeet wind of change is blowing tongue
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by 4Play(m): 10:56pm On Feb 24, 2008
Self-defence is written all over this story.The woman should be given a medal.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by olanajim(m): 12:06am On Feb 25, 2008
Let not lose the underlying message in that story.

Let me put it this way:

A young man from a village dated a fine girl in the village. By choice or by force ( that is if his parents convinced him to marry her.) The girl is also intelligent but could not further her education due to poverty. While the boy went to city to cart away all available medals in the nearby University, the girl dropped out and started cultivating tomatoes on her father's farm.

During his visit home, he betrayed his emotion and deflowered the lady. In one shot, the lady got pregnant but they did parlour wedding hoping to do the "big one" when he get job. (I said this because their daughter was 7 year old and the man get job with CRUTECT 3 years ago. Beside, it was stated that the lady wanted her husband spend the tuition fee on marriage).

Now, both living together on campus, the man started seeing the other side of her wife. A complete village girl who probably lick her fingers in public, and put her husband to shame before his egghead visitors.

He resolved to send her back to secondary school. He did it in a way that made the wife look like an idiot. The woman however wanted marriage before learning to eat Eba with fork and knife.

Their inability to resolve it amicably leads to constant fight at home.

Then one day, the man threaten to go married an oyinbo and send the wife back to the village. After all, the marriage rite was still pending. The woman cried foul and became more vicious and desperate to remain the legal wife.

One fine morning, both began their usual round of chicken fight with sticks. Then, the woman got mad and beat the hell out of her husband to show that she is also a match for him. And then, she hit the wrong place. The man slumped and kicked the bucket.

Now the lady is a guest in a lice infested cell. The parents are mourning in the village. And their daughter left to bear the pain of being an orphan. While CRUTFCH lost one of her best brain.

R. I. P.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by blacklion(m): 2:28am On Feb 25, 2008
LadyT:

Sorry can someone tell why they stayed together? animals,

for the sake of their kids perhaps. does that make them animals?

ifyalways:

. . .good for them.sweeeeeeeeeet wind of change is blowing tongue

watching your mum batter your dad to death is good for the kids?
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by almondjoy(f): 6:46am On Feb 25, 2008
The reason why domestic violence is never the best solution to any problem.  Well, let the chips fall where they may!

This is a lesson those who think that frustrated people do not need a time out from marriage or relationships.

One person can never have a monopoly on violence.
You might be the one to end up dead yourself after years of being the perpetrator.

You can only beat a cow for so long.  When the cow is backed up against a wall, it usually makes a reverse turn swiftly and charges towards the beater.

Now the children will definitely be make shift orphans if this lady does not rot in jail or get killed.

A Ph.D holder married to a motor park prize fighter?---My kind of woman any day! cheesy

blacklion:

for the sake of their kids perhaps. does that make them animals?

He who engages in battering should expect to be pummelled to death.  Especially if you are married to a "motor park super heavy weight champion"!

Apparently, this lady learned well from him as a good coach. 

. . . . . . . .And the winner is. . . . . . . . .nobody!

The Million Dollar Baby!
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by olanajim(m): 7:40am On Feb 25, 2008
Well, they have only one daughter and she is 7 year old.

Like I said, I have read the same story on the day it happened. And from the testimony given by the brother to the late lecturer, it was very clear that they were joined together by their parents.

The lady is not a motor park fighter, she is a typical village girl raised on the farm. But she had always been a violence lady according to testimony submitted at the police station.

@Almondjoy,
A phd marrying an illiterate? Let me point out something to you. If their daughter is 7 year old and he finished his master 3 years ago ( he was reported to be employed immediately after his Masters), then the two must have been dating while he is a student. And must have impregnated the lady during the period.

As you are aware, parents can give their blessing and do temporary wedding pending the time he get money for dowry. From all indication, the lady was also a bright one hence the faith the man had in her. It is possible he thought he can sponsor her to school once married. As a lecturer, he must have know the capability of his wife before telling her to return to school.

Methink the lady wanted her dowry paid quickly before anything. You know how village girls talk about bride price as if they are cow to be bought in the market.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by almondjoy(f): 8:31am On Feb 25, 2008
@Olanajim

I hope you realize that this marriage is only 7 years old.  She stopped her education at SS--whatever.  This guy must have been a graduate or in school pursuing a first degree while she was in school or dropped out of school to be raised on a village farm house like you put it.  What was the attraction if a may ask? Only God knows the age difference. Probably he was in his 30's and this girl in her teens.  May be 37 and 25 give or take.  Wow!  Just speculating.  Na wah for some men ooh!  I am only guessing since the lady mentioned the use of canes--which only means he meant to flog a child.  How can a man go and get canes to use on his wife? undecided  Is she like 12 years old or something?

@Blacklion, please feel in the gaps as usual--any updates?  What are the ages of these prize fighters? grin

Don't forget also that the relatives of the guy comfirmed to "citing" her in different pugilistic contests in motorparks. cheesy

My question to you is what is a graduate doing with someone who stopped at some SS-somethiing of a crap.  How did they communicate if not on one of these "hit and run" incidents that ended in a pregnancy.  This guy, in leaving his natural habitat of being somewhat educated, decided to venture into incharted territory by dealin' with a secondary school lady with questionable upbringing.  The man jam im match. grin  Of course if I were only used as an illiterate breedin' rabbit without any marriage in sight, I would be pissed too.  He married me an illiterate--so that is not the issue.  I need ma ring and wedding bands please! kiss  Was he not the one that interrupted her education by "shimmering" her? Probably as a randy youth corper. wink

And the result is. . . . . . . . .

The reason I say men should not interfer with young girls' education by getting them knocked up.  This girl saddled with children and lack of educational opportunities probably saw her marriage as a curse.  The man had not even married her "properly"! Just using her a "shag" toy calling it marriage. She took care of it alright, and look where it ended.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by olanajim(m): 11:07am On Feb 25, 2008
I think we are untying the knot by logic. The man is from the full story in his early 30 or late 20. Contrary to report, he is yet to complete his phd. He is a certainty though.

You are near the truth when you said, he must have interupted her education by impregnating her. As for the timing, fact of the daughter age show he is a student. Let do a simple calculation. If the daughter is 7, and he finish his masters 3 years ago, the we have four year gap. If he spent 2 years for his masters, and have a year NYSC, then we have 1 year left which fell into his final year. That is the minimum.

As for the lady fighting in garrage, that is normal. But I believe it was a bit exagerated to make her look dangerous. She might have faught because of dispute over money or wrong fare.

On her age, I don't imagine her to be greater than or equal 25. That is the maximum she can be.

Using canes on wife, is not new in Nigeria. Especially people from the villages. So I am not surprised.

That the parents are aware of those problems make them culpable. I have my reason and I strongly believe they are one of the reasons why he marry her in the first place. I have seen things like this a dozen times and I feel sorry when it backfired. The story are all around us. Most are well managed, but then, we have bad cases.

I could have been a victim too. But, it is good to be stubborn, sometimes.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by ifyalways(f): 2:16pm On Feb 25, 2008
blacklion:

. . .watching your dad batter your mum to death is good for kids ?
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by olanajim(m): 3:41pm On Feb 25, 2008
Lol

Ify!
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 26, 2008
chei dead man!!!!
poor woman!!!!!!
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by Zandra1(f): 1:33am On Feb 26, 2008
This is indeed a very sad story. May the dead man rest in peace cry.

Violence always amount to pain. I pity the little girl. Y would a couple fight each other talk more of using canes to do it? Thats just appalling.

I must also say that some parts of this story totally cracked me up. Saying that the woman had a 'deep-seated desire not to go back to school' and that 'she fights at motor park' were hilarious. She should join the UFC guys, LMGAO cheesy.

All the same, a sad story. The man and his wife should be blamed cause they're not supposed to be fighting at all. Only brutes do that. Might it be that the dead guy (esp. after he got his masters degree) used to beat his wife and maybe felt that she was not his 'wife' anymore but a 'load of embarrassment' living with him. Thus causing the lady to 'retaliate' or should I say 'pay the man back in his own coin in a deadly way'. Pity.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by spoilt(f): 2:47am On Feb 26, 2008
tRoOE:

LOL what a man do a woman can do it better

funny as heck! grin
haven't laughed so hard in a long time. **flicking away tears of mirth**

but seriously getting physical has never solved any problems. After fighting and wrestling a couple still has to get together, talk and come to a compromise over everything.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by jgirl3: 2:53am On Feb 26, 2008
I laughed like crazy. I thought it was funny initially but it got very serious quickly sha.

spoilt:

funny as heck! grin
haven't laughed so hard in a long time. **flicking away tears of mirth**

but seriously getting physical has never solved any problems. After fighting and wrestling a couple still has to get together, talk and come to a compromise over everything.
In this case, physicality solved the woman's problem, lol. I don't think they will come back together anytime soon.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by NaJaHaJe(f): 3:21am On Feb 26, 2008
chineke!!!!!!!!!!! . . . . .  . .  i just can't stop laughing  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by Nobody: 3:47am On Feb 26, 2008
se se something
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by blacklion(m): 4:14am On Feb 26, 2008
AJ, is there any rule against a man marrying 'down' and then trying to 'uplift' his wife when he gets up there?

is it a crime for a graduate to date or marry a non-graduate?

is it a crime for a man to encourage his woman to aspire to greater educational heights?

fine, frank endu may have gone about it the wrong way but was he wrong to wish that she could come closer to the educational level which he had now attained?

what if this guy had simply done what many or most other naija men do in his situation i.e. dump her and move on with his life, would he not be alive today?

so many naija men have ruthlessly exploited innocent illiterate women when they were poor and lowly students only to dump the women and their kids once they land better jobs and positions after graduating. i've heard of so many guys from my place who did just that back in the 1950s and 1960s. some even sneaked back into naija with white women and told their family not to let the illiterate wife know they were back from abroad

even a former chief justice of nigeria, justice irikefe dumped the illiterate mother of his first son after he qualified as a lawyer in the 1950s; he was a mere grade 2 teacher when he had the boy with the woman.

if frank edu had behaved like justice irikefe, he'd be alive today and carousing his new chassis, educated wife. but he's dead and some peeps here are mocking him

personally, i feel he should have left her alone when she made clear that she preferred him to spend the money on the wedding rather than her education. in fact, he should have divorced her ass and moved on.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by RichyBlacK(m): 6:13am On Feb 26, 2008
I pity the woman. May God grant the man's soul eternal peace.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by jgirl3: 8:44am On Feb 26, 2008
@ Blacklion, you know how hard it is to think of divorce in Nigeria. Funny enough, it's becoming more common but i really don't see how the guy could have suggested it. It would have probably caused an earlier death or maybe she would have cut off his whatever so that he wouldn't be able to marry anyone else. A woman with that sort of temper and a history of violence should not be underestimated. She could have done anything. Funny enough, we don't really know so much about the family so we can't tell if the man has been abused constantly.
blacklion:

Is there any rule against a man marrying 'down' and then trying to 'uplift' his wife when he gets up there? NO

is it a crime for a graduate to date or marry a non-graduate? NO

is it a crime for a man to encourage his woman to aspire to greater educational heights?

personally, i feel he should have left her alone when she made clear that she preferred him to spend the money on the wedding rather than her education. in fact, he should have divorced her ass and moved on.

I agree that he should have left but he must have really loved her to continue staying with her.

@ AJ, lol! you are really hilarious - You will not be the death of me. I tire.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 27, 2008
men have been known to 'put away' their wives for less reasons - not that it is to be justified or encouraged.

the man probably wanted his wife to 'step-up' but went abt it the wrong way i.e. trying to force her, not trying to understand why she prioritized the wedding over her education (probably her marriage guarantee suddenly seemed more important than social acceptance in the light of his threats)

i think it could have been solved easily - have a small wedding and she shd at least try n get a diploma. it's called compromise. or offered her incentives (e.g. a car, which is a gr8 way to motivate an illiterate woman)

but both of them being the 'prize fighters' they are/were, they had to settle it in the ring, eh? the man no know say the woman just dey respect am wey she no kill am since? that she has fought worthier opponents (at motor parks)? tongue undecided
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by almondjoy(f): 4:28pm On Feb 27, 2008
blacklion:

AJ, is there any rule against a man marrying 'down' and then trying to 'uplift' his wife when he gets up there?

is it a crime for a graduate to date or marry a non-graduate?

fine, frank endu may have gone about it the wrong way but was he wrong to wish that she could come closer to the educational level which he had now attained?

what if this guy had simply done what many or most other naija men do in his situation i.e. dump her and move on with his life, would he not be alive today?

so many naija men have ruthlessly exploited innocent illiterate women when they were poor and lowly students only to dump the women and their kids once they land better jobs and positions after graduating. i've heard of so many guys from my place who did just that back in the 1950s and 1960s. some even sneaked back into naija with white women and told their family not to let the illiterate wife know they were back from abroad

even a former chief justice of nigeria, justice irikefe dumped the illiterate mother of his first son after he qualified as a lawyer in the 1950s; he was a mere grade 2 teacher when he had the boy with the woman.

if frank edu had behaved like justice irikefe, he'd be alive today and carousing his new chassis, educated wife. but he's dead and some peeps here are mocking him

You are asking me all those questions? undecided  See where it has ended now.  This woman is wild!!!! I don't even know how he stayed in this marriage for so long.  Now you can see what women go through.  Like someone wrote here,

ifyalways (f)
ivory coast

Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar
« #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:47 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
. . .good for them.sweeeeeeeeeet wind of change is blowing   

How do you run away from a mad dog who is chasing you around?  There was no way this woman would have let this man depart this earth in peace.  If you understand the cycle of abuse, this man was probably afraid of this woman.  She definitely would have hunted his arse down and got rid of him anyway.  The madness between both of them had no known cure.  It was too late. He should have long been gone.  The reason I say LEAVE if you are in a domestically abusive environment.  People will say keep fasting and prayiing and marriage is for better for worse and all that crap.  They often forget the last part. . . . . TILL DEATH DO US PART. . . .might come sooner than most think.  There is a thin line between love and hate.  I bet you this woman did not mean to kill this man, the father of her children.  But the trick is when you start--you never know where it would end. In this case--death! Justice irekefe is alive, Frank edu is dead. . . . .that is the big difference. I am also of the notion that if you are not happy--LEAVE!!! I really would not have blamed him for dumpin' her 2 years into the marriage. I repeat, if you are not happy. . . . . .LEAVE. At least you will be alive with depression from a failed relationship instead of being manure for ants.

Too bad. A lesson for all!  Poor children. Oh na Calabar this one for happen eh? he he he he he cheesy

singing. . . . . .whether na the dog meet when them deey chop oooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by blacklion(m): 4:46pm On Feb 27, 2008
wetin china do aj sef? which one be independence from china? abi you don tire to dey buy made-in-china bra?
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by holythug(m): 4:50pm On Feb 27, 2008
independence frm china na gbege grin
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by almondjoy(f): 5:06pm On Feb 27, 2008
Don't you know that both the Republicans and Democrats over here in the US want to sell us all to the Chinese with their yeye trade policies? cheesy
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by zukkymike(m): 2:32pm On Oct 31, 2008
;d
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by Livvvvy(f): 12:31pm On Nov 04, 2008
Before he married the woman, he certainly knew who and what she was.
Am sure they have discussed her going back to school over and over again, and the man must have understood the woman's point of view.

But what i see here, is that the man is self-centred, even though he wanted the best for her, he would have atleast understood the fact that she said that she has no brains for school.

The man is more educated than the woman so his approach to her shouldnt have been the way he took it, moreover using a cane on his wife is an act of a typical educated illitrate.

it is the little child that i pity the most, left with a bad history for life.
Re: Wife Beats Husband To Death In Calabar by desthan(m): 11:57am On Nov 06, 2008
yeah, women dey say is de weaker sex, but in their weakness, they do have tremendous strenght, ds is a msg to all de hulkamanias wanna be, please be guided. do not push a woman!! accept your woman for who she is, do not try to make her what you want her to be, just luv her n respect her mind, soul n body, only dat way u'll be able to harness that energy in her, n utilizing it in areas dat strenght is required like opening an automobile workshop for her, thereby using it to unlock other peoples destiny instead of trying to satisfy your own selfish desire by trying to get her a degree. Its a pity sha u are not alive to take dis lecture, but oda of yr kind would.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To All Who Are Born On 29th Feb / Cancer Is Endangering The Life Of My Mother. Help!!! / SEX Swingers Club Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.