Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,548 members, 7,809,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? (4108 Views)

Quote Your Favourite Scriptural Verse Here / Explain This Mystery: A Dead Man Sent A Stranger To Deliver A Bag / Catholic Church Blasts Lagos Lawmakers Over Cremation Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 11:32pm On Jan 05, 2013
I withnessed a friend Husband burial, The man was an athiest, He was sick for many years before He finally gave up.
When He died, His family and wife took His body to the Cathedral for prayers before cremation.
The dead man gave the instruction that His body should be burned.

My surprise is, i didn't know the Church does accept praying for dead atheists, and even doing the cremation too. shocked shocked

Its my first time to see such in the church. So please, if you have anything to share on this, kindly do.
Thank you.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by braine(m): 11:43pm On Jan 05, 2013
The ancient Babylonians did cremate their dead - mostly those who died in prison. I don't remember that part of the bible though.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 11:57pm On Jan 05, 2013
braine: The ancient Babylonians did cremate their dead - mostly those who died in prison. I don't remember that part of the bible though.

Aehhh, It has a BB record abi? .....? shocked
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by braine(m): 12:05am On Jan 06, 2013
Yeah it has a Bible record - if that's what you refer to as BB - and that's where the idea of hell fire came from. Anyway, cremation is not that bad, if it was the person's choice. And I don't think its against the Bible
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 1:02am On Jan 06, 2013
braine: Yeah it has a Bible record - if that's what you refer to as BB - and that's where the idea of hell fire came from. Anyway, cremation is not that bad, if it was the person's choice. And I don't think its against the Bible

How do you mean with the bolded pls?
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by braine(m): 1:49am On Jan 06, 2013
Ermmm... I wouldn't want to go into that as I wouldn't like to stir up contoversies.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by okeyxyz(m): 2:38am On Jan 06, 2013
braine: Ermmm... I wouldn't want to go into that as I wouldn't like to stir up contoversies.

If you wouldn't want to "go into that", then why bring it up in the first place. Please defend your position and "educate" us all.

2 Likes

Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 06, 2013
plappville:

How do you mean with the bolded pls?
How interested can she get. Second-in-Command, Team anti-hell, I hail o. Happy sunday o.

1 Like

Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:27pm On Jan 06, 2013
Praying for the died is not how we cristians go about it bevause there is no salvation after death but I guess since the wife attended the church they were doing it for her.

Iv been thinking too,since my body is going to rot in that whole I wanna be cremated too,I just can't bear the thought of being eaten by worms....
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Image123(m): 3:02pm On Jan 06, 2013
braine: Ermmm... I wouldn't want to go into that as I wouldn't like to stir up contoversies.
hahahahahaha devil can be quite hilarious sha.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by girlking(f): 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Praying for the died is not how we cristians go about it

shocked
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by girlking(f): 3:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
me I keep saying it when I die I want to be crimated grin I feel graves are an unnecessary waste of space. I don't sEe y any church should oppose that
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by daroz(m): 4:33pm On Jan 06, 2013
cool cool
girl king: me I keep saying it when I die I want to be crimated grin I feel graves are an unnecessary waste of space. I don't sEe y any church should oppose that
Me too. I prefare to be cremated than being buried inside (that dreadfull) coffin and left to rot and be eaten by worms. Its better to be cremented and the ashes be gathered inside a bottle and given to my 1st son. In my will I will tell him what to do with the ashes.,.,. either for him to preserve or for him to scatter it on a piece of land/vegitation that I owned or to any river of my chioce. What a great way to really rest in peace
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 5:51pm On Jan 06, 2013

But you can at least try and privide the scripture, i had love to know if it supports it.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2013
okeyxyz:

If you wouldn't want to "go into that", then why bring it up in the first place. Please defend your position and "educate" us all.

He is trying to cut a story short, I think He has something to educate as par this subject, how i wish he expantiates abit.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 6:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
Reyginus: How interested can she get. Second-in-Command, Team anti-hell, I hail o. Happy sunday o.

I beg say something if you know.. grin You should know i am very humble in learning things i have little knowledge of smiley
I just want to know what the scripture says on this issue. . And why would the church bury un unbeliever!

I greet you in plenty language too bro...!
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 6:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Praying for the died is not how we cristians go about it bevause there is no salvation after death but I guess since the wife attended the church they were doing it for her.

Iv been thinking too,since my body is going to rot in that whole I wanna be cremated too,I just can't bear the thought of being eaten by worms....

Yes no salvation after death so why should the church bury an athiest body? The wife is not even a memeber of that church, she is not a serious believer
She doesn't go to church, but she will tell you she believe in God, case close ... grin grin grin

So you mean you will do cremation waohh...You know that when one is dead, he/she is no longer conscious of warm etc...
My worriness is, how does the scripture treats this subject?
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 6:19pm On Jan 06, 2013
girl king: me I keep saying it when I die I want to be crimated grin I feel graves are an unnecessary waste of space. I don't sEe y any church should oppose that

The earth no complain for you na plenty of space dey boku!!

Genesis 2:7 the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being

Dust shall we return... grin grin grin
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:52pm On Jan 06, 2013
plappville:

Yes no salvation after death so why should the church bury an athiest body? The wife is not even a memeber of that church, she is not a serious believer
She doesn't go to church, but she will tell you she believe in God, case close ... grin grin grin

So you mean you will do cremation waohh...You know that when one is dead, he/she is no longer conscious of warm etc...
then again I don't know where cremation comes from...and in the bible we hear a lot about the tombs that will give out the dead wen Jesus Christ comes back so ummmmm!

Changed ma mind I wanna be buried still ME.

Well to say the least on the woman's case,let's say I don't go to church nor any member of ma family.If one of us die,we just ask the near by church to do the burial ceremony for us but I have only seen it with zion church,catholics,anglican and dutch reformed churches...sorry for name callings its like that in ma country BUT I have neva seen a born again christian church agreeing to such
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by girlking(f): 8:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
daroz: cool cool
Me too. I prefare to be cremated than being buried inside (that dreadfull) coffin and left to rot and be eaten by worms. Its better to be cremented and the ashes be gathered inside a bottle and given to my 1st son. In my will I will tell him what to do with the ashes.,.,. either for him to preserve or for him to scatter it on a piece of land/vegitation that I owned or to any river of my chioce. What a great way to really rest in peace
ℳα guy your head dey there joor
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 06, 2013
plappville:

leave the dead to bury their dead.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 9:07pm On Jan 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: then again I don't know where cremation comes from...and in the bible we hear a lot about the tombs that will give out the dead wen Jesus Christ comes back so ummmmm!

Changed ma mind I wanna be buried still ME.

Well to say the least on the woman's case,let's say I don't go to church nor any member of ma family.If one of us die,we just ask the near by church to do the burial ceremony for us but I have only seen it with zion church,catholics,anglican and dutch reformed churches...sorry for name callings its like that in ma country BUT I have neva seen a born again christian church agreeing to such

Ah ok, These churches accept burial in such manner not minding if the deceased was a believer or not. This is strange! shocked

I saw a passage in the OT, it made me believe that the cremation method will not please God.This passgae made it plain that God intended for dead bodies to be buried.
I think the cremation of the bodies of the dead is contradictory to that which was established in the Church from the very beginning.

The burial of the dead should be based on Scripture, due to the belief that the death of a man is a fulfillment of the judgment passed by God onto (Adam):

"Earth thou art, and unto earth thou shalt return" (Genesis 3:19).
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 9:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
Bidam: leave the dead to bury their dead.

I hear you..... grin grin
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by girlking(f): 9:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
plappville:

The earth no complain for you na plenty of space dey boku!!

Genesis 2:7 the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being

Dust shall we return... grin grin grin
Are u kidding me? shocked like seriously? Dis answer is soooooo silly. So what about the people that died in plane crashes? They aren't retuning to the dust? " so what if I asked for ℳα ashes to be scatterd on the ground, does that now qualify as "returning to the dust" do u really think God cares how your corpse is buried? Do u? shocked God didn't even say u should "Bury" ur corpse, its just you reading meanings into a simple statement!

Religion has controled ur life from when u were little till your death. And yet, you will S̤̥̈̊†̥̥ȋ̝̊̅̄ℓℓ have it enslave your remains. Sad. Very very sad cry

1 Like

Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by braine(m): 9:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
plappville:

But you can at least try and privide the scripture, i had love to know if it supports it.

The place where bodies were cremated then was known has Gehenna, aka hell.

This is what I could find online:

Gehenna (Greek γέεννα), Gehinnom (Rabbinical Hebrew: גהנום/גהנם ) and Yiddish Gehinnam, are terms derived from a place outside ancient Jerusalem known in the Hebrew Bible as the Valley of the Son of Hinnom; one of the two principal valleys surrounding the Old City.

In the Hebrew Bible, the site was initially where apostate Israelites and followers of various Ba'als and Caananite gods, including Moloch, sacrificed their children by fire (2 Chr. 28:3, 33:6; Jer. 7:31, 19:2-6).

In both Jewish and Christian writing, Gehenna was a destination of the wicked. This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, though the King James version of the Bible traditionally translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word Hell.

A tradition commonly reported in older Christian commentaries that in Roman times fires were kept burning and the valley became the garbage dump of the city, where the dead bodies of criminals, and the carcasses of animals were thrown.

You can find more on Wikipedia if you're interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
girl king:
Are u kidding me? shocked like seriously? Dis answer is soooooo silly. So what about the ppl that died in a plane crashes? They aren't retuning to the dust? " so what if I asked for ℳα ashes to be scatterd on the grond, does that now qualify as "returning to the dust" do u really think God cares how your corpse is buried? Do u? shocked God didn't even say u should "Bury" ur corpse, its just you reading meanings into a simple statesment!

The people that died sudden/unexpected death did not seek to die in such manner, But the victim here told His family to burn him and add His ashes to His parents own.
Its two different cases, What you want is different from what came unexpectedly.

"Earth thou art, and unto earth thou shalt return" (Genesis 3:19)
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 10:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
braine:

Gehenna (Greek γέεννα), Gehinnom (Rabbinical Hebrew: גהנום/גהנם ) and Yiddish Gehinnam, are terms derived from a place outside ancient Jerusalem known in the Hebrew Bible as the Valley of the Son of Hinnom; one of the two principal valleys surrounding the Old City.

In the Hebrew Bible, the site was initially where apostate Israelites and followers of various Ba'als and Caananite gods, including Moloch, sacrificed their children by fire (2 Chr. 28:3, 33:6; Jer. 7:31, 19:2-6).

In both Jewish and Christian writing, Gehenna was a destination of the wicked. This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, though the King James version of the Bible traditionally translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word Hell.

A tradition commonly reported in older Christian commentaries that in Roman times fires were kept burning and the valley became the garbage dump of the city, where the dead bodies of criminals, and the carcasses of animals were thrown.

Thank you my broda...i will check this link and see what it says, and those scriptures may say something i think.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by girlking(f): 6:18am On Jan 07, 2013
plappville:

The people that died sudden/unexpected death did not seek to die in such manner, But the victim here told His family to burn him and add His ashes to His parents own.
Its two different cases, What you want is different from what came unexpectedly.

"Earth thou art, and unto earth thou shalt return" (Genesis 3:19)
Do you not understand that scripture? 'unto earth thou shalt return'. No conditions, no exceptions. Every one must return to earth. Every man Christain, pagan or atheist. And as u know every one is buried. Right? So it therefore means he is talking about burials! Somebori punch this guy !!!
Returning to earth there is symbolic. Just like when the bible mentioned a land flowing with milk and honey didn't mean the rivers were made of milk and the fountains of honey .
Guy It dosen't matter if u have your corpse dissolved in acid! U are S̤̥̈̊†̥̥ȋ̝̊̅̄ℓℓ dead and have "returned to the earth". Chikena

1 Like

Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by Nobody: 6:43am On Jan 07, 2013
I think cremation is a good thing. As the world population increases, with or without religion, cremation will be made compulsory. Cemeteries would likely be leveled and used as space for building houses in the future!
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 9:41am On Jan 07, 2013
doubleDx: I think cremation is a good thing. As the world population increases, with or without religion, cremation will be made compulsory. Cemeteries would likely be leveled and used as space for building houses in the future!

What future? I Wouldn't doubt you anyway, but you know man's plan for the future is not certain. But we know that God has a sured plan for us in the future.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by plappville(f): 9:19pm On Jan 07, 2013
braine:

2 Chronicles 28:3 He burned sacrifices in the Valley of Ben Hinnom and sacrificed his sons in the fire, following the detestable ways of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites.

The Scriptures are not really talking about burning of the dead body (Cremation). The burning they did was different from the thread.
They did sacrificed thier Children to a god. This provoked the anger of Yahweh.

It shows "cremation of this type" will never be a thing pleasant to God. I do not think any true Christian will do such!

2and go out to the Valley of Ben Hinnom, near the entrance of the Potsherd Gate. There proclaim the words I tell you, 3and say, ‘Hear the word of the Lord, O kings of Judah and people of Jerusalem. This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Listen! I am going to bring a disaster on this place that will make the ears of everyone who hears of it tingle. 4For they have forsaken me and made this a place of foreign gods; they have burned sacrifices in it to gods that neither they nor their fathers nor the kings of Judah ever knew, and they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent. 5They have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as offerings to Baal—something I did not command or mention, nor did it enter my mind. 6So beware, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when people will no longer call this place Topheth or the Valley of Ben Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter.
Re: Church Performing Cremation (Burning a Dead Body): Scriptural? by girlking(f): 10:06pm On Jan 07, 2013
doubleDx: I think cremation is a good thing. As the world population increases, with or without religion, cremation will be made compulsory. Cemeteries would likely be leveled and used as space for building houses in the future!
I agree with you. but in the nearest future humans are likely to discover other planets that are suitable for us to live in or make the already discovered ones habitable

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Outside The [Catholic] Church There Is No Salvation!!!! / How I Became A Christian Believer And An Evangelist. / Names Of God In Different Languages. Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.