Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,194 members, 7,780,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:34 PM

Beware Of ATM Card Cloning - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Beware Of ATM Card Cloning (15750 Views)

Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics / Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card / Users Of ATM Will No Longer Pay N100 On Withdrawals - CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tosinadeda: 6:49pm On Feb 24, 2008
believe this o, its real very real! Let me explain. this happened to my very close friend.

Someone somehow got to know his password and card number, got another card from God knows where and drained all his money in the account.

On getting to the bank to complain, they made him look like a confused guy, because they kept on telling him that he withdrew the money himself, they even told him the particular ATM machine the day and the time.

The annoying part is that it was on Valentine's day it happened, when boys were busy drinking garri in the hostel, someone somewhere withdrew his money with another card to have fun!

so beware, ATM cards are not as secure and safe as they seem.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by proxies(m): 8:13pm On Feb 24, 2008
men, na only God go save us oooo. cos I cant shout
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by mmonwuba(m): 10:18pm On Feb 24, 2008
guy i feel your pain. Pray for the person. Unfortunately it is a thing the bank can do nothing about.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:47pm On Feb 24, 2008
Now its so possible, atm's work just like telephone cards. the chips in them can easily be read with some type of card reader. I've read some articles on hacking phone cards, and the best thing is for you to be careful with your pin and change it when you feel like someone has known your pin
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Nobody: 7:42am On Feb 25, 2008
more likely, someone 'borrowed' his card when he was not paying attention and used it. also, he may never have changed his PIN from the original one from the bank. instead of looking to mysterious hackers, he should look to the people around him. i remember once in school, a guy made an student id card of his roomate's name with his (the guy's picture) effectively identifying him as his roomate; he then went to firstbank and took the guys western union transfer. he withdrew the money. he was caught after the act caught him because the western union people had made a photocopy of  the ID card he presented.

hacking is not just about writing code. it is also about social engineering - which essentially is getting people's personal information, which is required to break into their systems, steal their info, etc.

shred/burn documents that have important info - don't throw them away. if you must put important info in your phone, do not lend it out.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by mmonwuba(m): 12:18pm On Feb 25, 2008
why would you even have to put ur details on phone, how large are they
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tosinadeda: 2:20pm On Feb 25, 2008
His money was withdrawn without his card!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Delta007(m): 3:57pm On Feb 25, 2008
It's possible. This scam also exists in N.America where scammers place "Card Strip Readers" on ATM/Interac machines. They usually have a cam (or spy) somewhere to read the PIN. That's all the info they need and voila, they have access to your account. I was once a victim; funny thing was I was out of the country when it occured and I had my card on me.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Ralvy(m): 4:30pm On Feb 25, 2008
Thanks for the Info wink
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tosinadeda: 12:33am On Feb 26, 2008
its like magic but its real, never leave all ur money in one account
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by mmonwuba(m): 4:48pm On Mar 01, 2008
In Nigeria, the basic issues we have is that of sites that pose to be Interswitch enabled, we put in our pin and card details and in most cases get no service rendered, hence, this detail is reused on the net. Come to think of it, no body can really do anything to ur account physically if they dont have your pin and your card but every thing can be done to you through the evil called the internet. All they need is your atm card no, expiry date and pin and they are done. So, be careful where you put in your ping and where you drop your cards
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by naijafan(m): 3:15am On Mar 02, 2008
tosinadeda:

so beware, ATM cards are not as secure and safe as they seem
ATM cards are as secure as their owners want them to be. if you leave your Yahoo Mail password in the hands of others, would you accuse Yahoo of account compromise?!
Never give out your ATM card details. Even your bank tells you that. Always change your PIN, so that you can be sure no bank employee knows it.

adewaleafolabi:

Now its so possible, atm's work just like telephone cards. the chips in them can easily be read with some type of card reader. I've read some articles on hacking phone cards, and the best thing is for you to be careful with your pin and change it when you feel like someone has known your pin
THe only thing stored on the card's magnetic strip is your card number and other details. Your PIN isnt stored on the card. It is stored on the somewhere on the switch's server which in this case is Interswitch. The only way someone can get hold of your PIN is via social engineering or simply watching you make use of your card.

tosinadeda:

His money was withdrawn without his card!
This is because a card can always be reconstructed. But the reconstructed card is of no use if he had not previously given away his PIN.

tosinadeda:

its like magic but its real, never leave all your money in one account
Are you spreading some sort of armageddon message? you shld be saying this instead: Never give out your ATM Card details.

mmonwuba:

In Nigeria, the basic issues we have is that of sites that pose to be Interswitch enabled, we put in our pin and card details and in most cases get no service rendered, hence, this detail is reused on the net. Come to think of it, no body can really do anything to your account physically if they don't have your pin and your card but every thing can be done to you through the evil called the internet. All they need is your atm card no, expiry date and pin and they are done. So, be careful where you put in your ping and where you drop your cards
Exactly. Interswitch has a list of approved merchants on their site. Card owners should be smart enough to confirm with this list before attempting any online transaction. The problem is people are really careless and sometimes simply stupid. The bank warned them when they were issued the card. BUt they still go ahead to 'register' their cards on some phising site to prevent an 'unavoidable card block'. What stops them from calling their banks to confirm if the request to register is true or not, instead, they simply go ahead and exchange card details with some unknown stranger.

Most times when i see these mails, i wonder how stupid those who fall for them can be. Yet, we look down on whites who fall for stupid scam mails. . . Gosh. . . stupidity is just everywhere. . . sorry to say angry

@tosinadeda
Your ATM card is perfectly safe if you keep your details to yourself.
I work in an e-commerce oriented firm and at a point in January, our transaction logs showed some dude perfoming transactions of N16 continuously. Interswitch reported that the dude was making use of different cards. The funny thing was that all the cards where from a particular bank. What does that tell you? Some customers of the bank requested for ATM cards and have either not changed their PINs or asked a bank staff to assist in the change. This obviously leaves their PIN exposed to someone in the bank who can utilize their details for 'salami shavings' at will.

Who is at fault in that case? I believe everyone is supposed to be in charge of his/her own security/privacy. Ignorance isnt bliss in this case - you always lose at the end.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by DoubleN(m): 11:13am On Mar 03, 2008
Very Informative.Good one!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by creamdream: 7:03pm On Mar 03, 2008
wonderfull!!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by mmonwuba(m): 9:41pm On Mar 04, 2008
@naijafan
i wish i could sit down and type all this like you. you type gan o!!!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by inze(m): 10:57am On Mar 05, 2008
big ups to naijafan

You really tool time to explain it for the dumbest man to understand, nice one

Inze
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Frizy(m): 2:39pm On Mar 05, 2008
Na wa for naija, I was told that banks also put fake money in their machines. It may be that someone within the bank used their central computer to rob that guy. If na mi, I will sue the bank (if the money lost is over 100K).
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by mmonwuba(m): 10:56pm On Mar 05, 2008
Frizy:

Na wa for naija, I was told that banks also put fake money in their machines. It may be that someone within the bank used their central computer to rob that guy. If na mi, I will sue the bank (if the money lost is over 100K).

abeg Mr Oga, who gives you all this your information? Do u think the atm machines are manual grinding mills?

Pls double check your post before putting them here. No bank would like to loose its face to God know how much fake money your informant withdrew
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Frizy(m): 9:03pm On Mar 07, 2008
@mmonwuba:
I was told, don't crucify me now grin
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tosinadeda: 2:29pm On Mar 08, 2008
naijafan do u call checking ur balance online or buying credit online giving away ur card details??
cos ure sounding like one human who knows it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Neoteny(m): 12:36pm On Mar 09, 2008
Quote from: adewaleafolabi on February 24, 2008, 10:47 PM
Now its so possible, atm's work just like telephone cards. the chips in them can easily be read with some type of card reader.

no, ATM cards are not like phone cards. ATM cards do not have an embedded microchip. all they have is a magnetic stripe which contains routing data only. all personal information is encrypted via Triple DES which is near impossible to crack. unfortunately that magnetic stripe data can be copied and used to print out duplicate cards, and in combination with your pin a crook can steal your money. but without that pin no one can steal your cash.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tosinadeda: 4:10pm On Mar 09, 2008
is it tht transacting online is no more safe??
cos since all they need is ur pin, they we are not safe anymore
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 10, 2008
tosinadeda:

is it that transacting online is no more safe??
because since all they need is your pin, they we are not safe anymore

are you just realisng that? its only because nigerians aren't wired the way westerners are that we arent suffering from online ID theft, etal. what do you think spyware is about?
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by chrisoml(m): 8:43am On Mar 10, 2008
I love IT but to tell d truth is that am still very scared of ATM
i have read diff articles on dem, me no get any problem with going down to wherever my bank branch is to make phisical withdrawal.
me refused to activate mine since they gave me. imagine d cashiers at d counter telling me each time i when in there to make withdrawal that i should go an activate my card. me i always let them know that its not compulsory abi d thin no bi optional again?
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by coolluk(m): 3:10pm On Mar 10, 2008
in your statement you said someone got to know his acct num which was acceptable but your password that was stupidity. it was supposed to be in brain 4 crying out loud thats why it is called your personal pin. it was very easy since someone had the both of them i assure you. anyway sorry hope u have learnt ur lesson
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tosinadeda: 11:50am On Mar 11, 2008
coolluk:

in your statement you said someone got to know his acct num which was acceptable but your password that was stupidity. it was supposed to be in brain 4 crying out loud thats why it is called your personal pin. it was very easy since someone had the both of them i assure you. anyway sorry hope u have learnt your lesson

y u dey talk like this now, will any1 disclose his/her pin to any1?
dnt u know that banking and trasacting online is like giving away ur pin? there are scammers and there are scammers
so wen i say sum1 got to know the pin, i dnt mean he told sum1
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tunscolo(m): 11:18pm On Mar 11, 2008
Ewwoooo!!!
Omo, I can't laugh.
Dem motherfucking ATM machines got cam on them, why are they not working after all someone was caught and proved by the cam sometimes ago.
He is a son to his father. He cashed his money and denied. After some argument and threats, the bank tendered the pix, it was his beloveth son.

Funny Niaja.
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by chrisoml(m): 10:34pm On Mar 15, 2008
my fellow Nairalanders Check out what i got today from T[b]he Guardian[/b] newspaper

ATM banking service and its blues
By Enitar Ugwu

PRIOR to 2004, it was a dream for Nigerians. Shortly, after 2004, it was the in-thing, but now, the Automated Teller Machines have become a nightmare to most Nigerians.

The complaints against this wonder machines range from lack of cash to seizure of cash.

A survey by The Guardian shows that if not for the dicey security situation surrounding banks, most Nigerians would have abandoned the ATMs for the banking halls.

For instance, a member of the banking public, Mrs. Ngozi Ezeobi informed The Guardian that she had been using the ATM services for the past two years and to five times she had been let down by the machines.

In her words, "in two years I have been using the ATMs, five good times I have been badly disappointed.

"In some of the times, it is the issue of lack of cash and in some other, it is that my money has been deducted when I did not access any cash."

Her experience is similar to that of Taiwo Razak who complained that it took him three weeks to have the debit to his account rectified.

According to him, "the most painful aspect was that my wife was hospitalised on Sunday and I needed cash instantly to deposit so that treatment can commence immediately.

"However, to my greatest shock not only did I not collect any cash but my account was debited."

Another customer, Okey Ndubuisi's account was even more baffling.

He complained that twice he had wanted to withdraw only N10, 000 only for his account to be debited to the tune of N20, 000.

"It only got rectified after a lot of letters to the bank," he noted bitterly, stressing, "my conviction is that, something fishy is going on in that bank."

Infact, most people spoken to are of the opinion that there might be something fraudulent about the ATMs dotting the country.

For instance, Alhaji Mohammed Isah noted that, one could not rule out the possibility of some crooked bankers manipulating ATMs and using them to commit fraud.

That, however, is yet to be confirmed.

However, what The Guardian was able to confirm is that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is aware of the various complaints against the ATMs.

A source in the CBN told The Guardian that management of the apex bank had been receiving petitions on the various aspects of the operations of the ATMS.

According to him, the apex bank is looking into it by advising various banks on the measures to take to tackle the problem.

Interestingly, the CBN interest in the matter could have accounted for the special unit being created by some banks to tackle the issue of complaints arising from the operations of the ATMS.

The Guardian was able to establish that such banks usually ask dissatisfied customers to submit their petitions to the said unit for sorting out.

Meanwhile, among e-business platform in Nigeria, ATMs, according to report conducted in 2007 by Intermarc Consulting Limited, is the most popular among Nigerians.

The report titled "2007 Research Report: Nigeria e-Banking -Customer Survey on Cards, ATM and PoS' shows that awareness for various banking services rendered by Nigerian banks is mostly limited to the traditional services.

According to the findings, 99 per cent of the respondents are aware of savings account, while 92 per cent are aware of current account and 72 per cent are aware of local money transfer services.

However, among the more modern banking services such as electronic banking, Internet banking, PoS transactions, money transfer, ATM emerged as the most popular with 96 per cent awareness.

ATM awareness also ranked higher than that of current account and slightly below savings account.

Despite the fact that banks services like local money transfer, international money transfer, loan facilities and telephone banking have been around before the advent of ATM, they all recorded relatively low levels of awareness.

Meanwhile since Nigeria's e-payment switching company, IntersWitch, made its debut, the ATM market in Nigeria is estimated to have approximately 7,000 ATMs, 75 per cent of which are owned and operated by financial institutions.

Only 25 are operated by independent deployers like Consortium Ltd., SmartPAY Ltd. and ATMOne, even though independent deployers can run ATM networks more cost-effectively than financial institutions.

Before the ATM-market explosion, Nigeria had only a handful of ATMs, and all were owned and operated by bank but consolidation in the banking sector has led to a number of banks to deploy more ATMs within their branches, and many are competing aggressively with independent deployers for more off-premises placements.

http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tosinadeda: 12:11am On Mar 16, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by mcmsat(m): 11:28am On Mar 16, 2008
coolSometimes we allowed what we should not allow! One day at ATM point, when I came there I met two people, one at the machine one at a considerate distance. I myself gave a good distance while the person on the machine finished his transaction. Then this guy, God knows from where, came and moved ahead of us two that were there before him. The guy at the machine finished almost the time this "devil-sent" guy came, and he was to rush to the ATM before the guy before me called him to attention, that this is one after the other. The "devil sent" lamented the he came and saw us as those who were not serious! Now tell me how we suppose to stay to prove our seriousness? Well he did made me understand how a serious person should be: As the guy before me proceeded to the ATM as this "God knows who" retracted, he stood right at his side! The man was afraid but could not complain. I was annoyed and could not resist telling this "hacker descendant" to give the man a breathing space!
When I go to an ATM and there is a queue, if the beginning of the queue is not far enough to the machine I will turn back! I will never transact when someone is very close to me! Be warned!
ATM is safe, as safe as it can but when you unsafe it, don't blame anybody!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by tosinadeda: 12:05pm On Mar 16, 2008
mcmsat:

coolSometimes we allowed what we should not allow! One day at ATM point, when I came there I met two people, one at the machine one at a considerate distance. I myself gave a good distance while the person on the machine finished his transaction. Then this guy, God knows from where, came and moved ahead of us two that were there before him. The guy at the machine finished almost the time this "devil-sent" guy came, and he was to rush to the ATM before the guy before me called him to attention, that this is one after the other. The "devil sent" lamented the he came and saw us as those who were not serious! Now tell me how we suppose to stay to prove our seriousness? Well he did made me understand how a serious person should be: As the guy before me proceeded to the ATM as this "God knows who" retracted, he stood right at his side! The man was afraid but could not complain. I was annoyed and could not resist telling this "hacker descendant" to give the man a breathing space!
When I go to an ATM and there is a queue, if the beginning of the queue is not far enough to the machine I will turn back! I will never transact when someone is very close to me! Be warned!
ATM is safe, as safe as it can but when you unsafe it, don't blame anybody!

if u really think the only way u make ur atm unsafe is when sum1 sees ur pin on queue, then am sorry for u o!!!!!!!!
Re: Beware Of ATM Card Cloning by mmonwuba(m): 11:34pm On Mar 16, 2008
tosinadeda:

if u really think the only way u make your atm unsafe is when someone sees your pin on queue, then am sorry for u o!!!!!!!!

I do alot of large transactions with my atm both online and interfaced with the machine so i think i am interested in knowing how someone can hack my atm and take my money. It would be a disaster you know.

Maybe you should let us know how this is done because to the best of my knowledge, your pin no is not stored on your card, the only information found on the magnetic strip on your card is the card no, expiry date, bank information, like the name of the bank,

So, when you put in this card into the machine to get money, there is a communication transfer and the information is transfered bla bla bla.

So when you misplace your card, and someone tells me they hack into the magnetic strip of the card, that's blanctant nonsense.

i feel majorly how we disclose our pin is
# give it out physically
# put it into a fake website
# someone copys it from you while loging it
or from your diary.

So sir, teach me this new method,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Simple Steps To Setup A Profitable Work From Home Business / How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing / Oil Plummets 30% As OPEC Deal Failure Sparks Price War Fears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.