Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,062 members, 7,807,188 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State (27285 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola At Olokun Festival (Photos) / Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor / Olokun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Dotman01(m): 1:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
PeterKbaba:

Yes you are right, this was designed by Cuban in the United States, you know Yoruba Religion is the 6th religion in the world now (Interms of numbers, over 300 Million worshipers), and it is been practiced all over Africa, Haiti, Jamaica, Dominica, US, Cuba, Venezuela, Brazil, Peurto-rico, Europe, Japan etc.

So the translation sometimes change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEGe5zHe0mc

Intresting video
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Jerie(m): 1:25pm On Jan 06, 2013
kingron: well i would still call dat place mayfair round about than dat stupid god dey cast dere all for d sake of making dier pockets fatter!!mayfair sounds tusher self!

Ovie, hw far?
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Dotman01(m): 1:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
Just got this on the net. . . Ile tuntun in venezuela. They even have Oba.
www.iletuntun.com.ve/Principal/Zuglin.html
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 2:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by AndreUweh(m): 2:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
alnetizen: What about this yoruba ancestral tribal marks
Am not too sure the above is Yoruba.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 2:29pm On Jan 06, 2013

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Sike(m): 2:37pm On Jan 06, 2013
Bring it on, Governor.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Egbagirl(f): 2:45pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tolexander: no!
It isn't shutuppu but sotoopu!
Yoruba alphabet doesn't have sh and two consonants don't follow each other.

The sh sound does exist. There used to be an h after the s but now we jus put the ami under the s as we do for 'e' 'o'

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lekkie073(m): 2:49pm On Jan 06, 2013
Egba girl:

The sh sound does exist. There used to be an h after the s but now we jus put the ami under the s as we do for 'e' 'o'
mo n gbadun e jare...egba omo lisabi grin
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Tolexander: 3:16pm On Jan 06, 2013
lekkie073:
ah bi di e eh fi gi gbi he ii ji ki li mi ni o or kpi ri si shi ti u we ye.....shutupu grin
olodo rabata,
sileti loo ma lo,
ooni lo beba,
sio olojueja
sio olojuede.
A for ajá,
B for batà,
D for dòdé,
E for ejò(snake),
E for eye(bird),
F for fìlà,
G for gèlè,
GB for gbágudá,
H for hila,
I for ilé,
J for jagunjagun,
K for kétékété,
I for labalábá,
M for màálù,
N for nàgúdù,
O for omi (water),
O for obo(monkey),
P for panápaná,
R for ràkúnmí,
S for sálúbàtà(sandal),
S for sago(gord),
T for tafàtafà,
U for úkùúkù,
W for wàálà,
Y for yànmúyánmú. Sotoopu(ibadan way)
Shotoopu(origbo way)
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Tolexander: 3:23pm On Jan 06, 2013
Egba girl:

the sh sound exist in pronounciation but not written on book instead written as s with a dot underneath just like a lady wana sit down on top a prick
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lekkie073(m): 3:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tolexander:
S for sálúbàtà(sandal),
S for sago(gord),
u ve not identify d 'sh' for me o. the two above r S for sandal and S for whatever u wrote. or u mean 'sh'? sh for shago (gourd) grin
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Egbagirl(f): 3:27pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tolexander: the sh sound exist in pronounciation but not written on book instead written as s with a dot underneath just like a lady wana sit down on top a prick

Sigh. O se like lati ma jiyan bayii?? It used to exist!!! Like "shade" and what not until they changed it.

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lekkie073(m): 3:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
Tolexander: the sh sound exist in pronounciation but not written on book instead written as s with a dot underneath just like a lady wana sit down on top a prick
lady wana sit down untop wetin? #wickedyarns
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by lekkie073(m): 3:30pm On Jan 06, 2013
Egba girl:

Sigh. O se like lati ma jiyan bayii?? It used to exist!!! Like "shade" and what not until they changed it.

gbayi....
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Egbagirl(f): 3:40pm On Jan 06, 2013
lekkie073:
gbayi....

Ese jare oga mi.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by bokohalal(m): 3:42pm On Jan 06, 2013
tpia@:
Culture section needs a yoruba moderator, to whom it may concern.

The present batch are igbo and edo respectively, hence the presence of monkeys who operate freely here.
I want enlightenment,tpia. Edos and monkeys do not go in the same clause,phrase,sentence or paragraph.What were you trying to say?
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by bokohalal(m): 4:11pm On Jan 06, 2013
tpia@! Wetin you mean?
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Vanpascore(m): 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
I am also an Ife indigen who stays at home (apata 2), will yu say d leaders in Osun are not trying? Oyinlola tried his best when he was there, even baba Akande and now, Ogbeni Aregbe is also doin fine. So dont criticise blindly, Osun is developing. Saying the road to Ori olokun round about is bad, what about omi okun whose contract was given to omi...(lagere to ondo rd roundabt) with d project abandoned, is dat Aregbe too? Just let appreciate the little osun leaders are doing cos if yu tu get there, urs will worse.

2 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 6:00pm On Jan 06, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Tolexander: 7:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
Egba girl:

i dont talk about things that once existed cos am not talking about history but yoruba alphabets.
Shade, shola once existed just like offa and aiye. Can you write it down in yoruba exam like waec and neco expecting it to be marked just because it existed?
Sh only exists in pronounciation but not in written like english write up instead it is written as a s dotted in the bottom just like a hen sitting on an egg. Unfortunately, it cannot be typed on my keypad here.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Xfactoria: 7:53pm On Jan 06, 2013
netsurf: @ eloopee...Pls note that the Fulani jihadist war with the Yorubas ws nt a conclusive one...the British interveined. There ws no time in history when the Yorubas lost in any war with outsiders except for the British invation. The fulanis were able to get to Oyo because the Aare Ona Kakanfo(Generalisimo of Yoruba land) betrayed his masters but then the Fulanis were resisted and pushed back to Ilorin when they got to Oyo by the other Yoruba warriors who were then stationed at Ibadan.

Hey dude, get your facts right. The fulanis were defeated at Oshogbo and they retreated to Ilorin and that was before the British occupied Yorubaland. It was a conclusive war and the Fulanis lost.

What the Bristish settled were the wars of independence between Oyos and other Yoruba tribes.

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 06, 2013
According to him, Ori-Olokun monument was discovered in the early 20th century by German explorer Leo Frobenius. “Frobenius could not imagine that such works were of African origin and came up with the theory that this great art was evidence of the lost Atlantis of the Greeks. “He further declaredthat the Yoruba deity, Olokun, was the same god as the Greek Poseidon. “The monument was further identified as a modern sand casting of a brass, which comprises copper and zinc.

He recalled that the head of Olokun (Ori Olokun) remained in the hands of the family responsible for the Olokun cult until Oni brought it to the palace for safekeeping in 1934.

^^^^I thought the original copy was somewhere in the British Museum... Heck, I see posters everywhere in the London underground about this head and the Benin mask as well...
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 06, 2013
shymexx:

^^^^I thought the original copy was somewhere in the British Museum... Heck, I see posters everywhere in the London underground about this head and the Benin mask as well...
It's presently kept in the British museum. I paid 10 pounds to attend the kingdom of Ife exhibition bout two years ago.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
Nice piece. Proudly Yoruba
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by bokohalal(m): 9:57pm On Jan 06, 2013
tpia@:

I'm sure you've seen the monkey roaming on this thread and elsewhere in culture section.

Honestly,I have not. Only humans come on this thread and elsewhere.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PeterKbaba: 12:31am On Jan 07, 2013
osun ti dara

2 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by cfours: 2:49am On Jan 07, 2013
wow it's massive.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 5:00am On Jan 07, 2013
Osun a dara o smiley

I love it!!

I'm actually impressed.

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 5:01am On Jan 07, 2013
Tolexander: olodo rabata,
sileti loo ma lo,
ooni lo beba,
sio olojueja
sio olojuede.
A for ajá,
B for batà,
D for dòdé,
E for ejò(snake),
E for eye(bird),
F for fìlà,
G for gèlè,
GB for gbágudá,
H for hila,
I for ilé,
J for jagunjagun,
K for kétékété,
I for labalábá,
M for màálù,
N for nàgúdù,
O for omi (water),
O for obo(monkey),
P for panápaná,
R for ràkúnmí,
S for sálúbàtà(sandal),
S for sago(gord),
T for tafàtafà,
U for úkùúkù,
W for wàálà,
Y for yànmúyánmú. Sotoopu(ibadan way)
Shotoopu(origbo way)

ROTFLMAO!!! grin grin grin
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by omowolewa: 8:59am On Jan 07, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Am not too sure the above is Yoruba.

Definitely not Yoru-tribal mark.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 07, 2013
elopee3000: where was ori olokun when usman danfodio attack with horses everything about yoruba is weak thier gods re weak the people self dey weak like oladipo diya

Bros, I know your problem is 2015. Be sure you will get it only if the fulanis you dreaded most allow it.

The fulanis conquered only the Ilorin Town. Afonja was the Aare Onakakanfo the head of the Oyo empire Army. During the reign of Aole (Alaafin of Oyo).He made himself the ruler of Ilorin and refused to pay homage to Alaafin by making himself and Ilorin independent of the empire. The Fulanis came as strangers, out of hospitality culture, he accommodated them and gave them free hand anywhere.They had another motives. They were with him as brothers not as Jihadist agaist him until the war borke out. He sought assistance from the Oyo empire but was refused. Ibadan warriors later defeated them and sent them back. This is the reason no traditional ruler in Yoruba wears turban or Lawani in Yoruba language except the emir in Ilorin. This is just history. On Diya, Sani, Ishaya and Al-Mustapha will explain better.

On the Mayfair roundabout and pot holes from Modake and Lagere roads or drainage. The writer is well done. The roads are okay, maitenance is an ongoing thing. Anybody passing through Ife town from Ife/Ibadan road will notice that these roads are maintained in dry season.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) / Would You Marry An Osu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.