Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,952 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State (27265 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola At Olokun Festival (Photos) / Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor / Olokun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 07, 2013
Also, for the name of gods starting with CH or Z. This is dependent on the flavour of Yoruba Language used in that area. For instance, the Brazilian or Cuban Yoruba flavour (Anago) or the one used in some west africa countries might be pronounced or spelt that way. I have seen where Sango was spelt as Zango outside Nigeria. There are over 400 gods before the coming Islam and Christianity to Yoruba land.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 07, 2013
Bros, I know your problem is 2015. Be sure you will get it only if the fulanis you dreaded most allow it.

The fulanis conquered only the Ilorin Town. Afonja was the Aare Onakakanfo the head of the Oyo empire Army. During the reign of Aole (Alaafin of Oyo).He made himself the ruler of Ilorin and refused to pay homage to Alaafin by making himself and Ilorin independent of the empire. The Fulanis came as strangers, out of hospitality culture, he accommodated them and gave them free hand anywhere.They had another motives. They were with him as brothers not as Jihadist against him until the war borke out. He sought assistance from the Oyo empire but was refused. Ibadan warriors later defeated them and sent them back. This is the reason no traditional ruler in Yoruba wears turban or Lawani in Yoruba language except the emir in Ilorin. This is just history. On Diya, Sani, Ishaya and Al-Mustapha will explain better.

On the Mayfair roundabout and pot holes from Modake and Lagere roads or drainage. The writer is well done. The roads are okay, maitenance is an ongoing thing. Anybody passing through Ife town from Ife/Ibadan road will notice that these roads are maintained in dry season.

The Yoruba culture is a celebrated culture. All the opposing views to Aregbesola gesture is out of jealous. They are the same people calling him islamic fundamentalist

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by bejay1(m): 10:53am On Jan 07, 2013
bolajess: WHAT Indeed we have serious problems in Nigeria. I can't imagine how you all would hail something people in ILE - IFE considered a failure. I was there yesterday and was held in traffic for over 2 hours for a 5 mins drive when the Governor and all ACN members across the state stormed town like bees. This is a head that the politicians spent N50M on and it adds no real value to the people. Mind you I am bread and butter of ILE IFE and I keep regretting voting Aregbesola everyday .. this is a Governor who spent N150M on explosives(banger) during the yuletide. Now I can see the problem with Nigeria is not PDP, ACN or LP, it is the masses. Shame on you all .... A governor who hasn't commissioned a completed road project in 2 years came to a round-about block the town and disturbed our peace, yet you all think he deserves some praise

My prayer is that real change comes soon .. not the crazy change GEJ, ACN and others are giving us .. It's still the same template just change of government. Please Rise fellow Nigerians.
For God sake, let us be constructive in our criticism. Do you have evidence to prove all these allegations? PDP don come again. God go save u yeye people.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PeterKbaba: 10:58am On Jan 07, 2013
babaolofin: Bros, I know your problem is 2015. Be sure you will get it only if the fulanis you dreaded most allow it.

The fulanis conquered only the Ilorin Town. Afonja was the Aare Onakakanfo the head of the Oyo empire Army. During the reign of Aole (Alaafin of Oyo).He made himself the ruler of Ilorin and refused to pay homage to Alaafin by making himself and Ilorin independent of the empire. The Fulanis came as strangers, out of hospitality culture, he accommodated them and gave them free hand anywhere.They had another motives. They were with him as brothers not as Jihadist against him until the war borke out. He sought assistance from the Oyo empire but was refused. Ibadan warriors later defeated them and sent them back. This is the reason no traditional ruler in Yoruba wears turban or Lawani in Yoruba language except the emir in Ilorin. This is just history. On Diya, Sani, Ishaya and Al-Mustapha will explain better.

On the Mayfair roundabout and pot holes from Modake and Lagere roads or drainage. The writer is well done. The roads are okay, maitenance is an ongoing thing. Anybody passing through Ife town from Ife/Ibadan road will notice that these roads are maintained in dry season.

The Yoruba culture is a celebrated culture. All the opposing views to Aregbesola gesture is out of jealous. They are the same people calling him islamic fundamentalist

So funny, you can imagine........ Do you know Aregbesola's sister is also a christian. This shows you that most Yoruba's don't really care about Christianity or Islam, we only hide our sacred world our-story traditional religion behind other religion. That is why our ideology to life and spirits are so different. Watch Yoruba movies and can tell.

2 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by hotwax: 12:21pm On Jan 07, 2013
elopee3000: where was ori olokun when usman danfodio attack with horses everything about yoruba is weak thier gods re weak the people self dey weak like oladipo diya

Where was your god when boko harams muder your igbo brothers. Lol dogy brain.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by hotwax: 12:38pm On Jan 07, 2013
X-factoria:

Hey dude, get your facts right. The fulanis were defeated at Oshogbo and they retreated to Ilorin and that was before the British occupied Yorubaland. It was a conclusive war and the Fulanis lost.

What the Bristish settled were the wars of independence between Oyos and other Yoruba tribes.

Tell that to bigots ooo. Ilorin went to Fulanis because yoruba force failed to send reinforcements to afonja due to internal rancor.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:00pm On Jan 07, 2013
babaolofin: There are over 400 gods before the coming Islam and Christianity to Yoruba land.

there still are. there will always be. the SPiritual Forces are as infinite as the Universe itself.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:03pm On Jan 07, 2013
PeterKbaba:

So funny, you can imagine........ Do you know Aregbesola's sister is also a christian. This shows you that most Yoruba's don't really care about Christianity or Islam, we only hide our sacred world our-story traditional religion behind other religion. That is why our ideology to life and spirits are so different. Watch Yoruba movies and can tell.

I noticed that. I would say nearly 70-80% Yorubas are infact Traditionalist Pagans.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:04pm On Jan 07, 2013
good job again, Aregbesola. now all we need to do is to get the original Idol back and ofcourse we need some development aswell.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Tolexander: 4:43pm On Jan 07, 2013
babaolofin:

Bros, I know your problem is 2015. Be sure you will get it only if the fulanis you dreaded most allow it.

The fulanis conquered only the Ilorin Town. Afonja was the Aare Onakakanfo the head of the Oyo empire Army. During the reign of Aole (Alaafin of Oyo).He made himself the ruler of Ilorin and refused to pay homage to Alaafin by making himself and Ilorin independent of the empire. The Fulanis came as strangers, out of hospitality culture, he accommodated them and gave them free hand anywhere.They had another motives. They were with him as brothers not as Jihadist agaist him until the war borke out. He sought assistance from the Oyo empire but was refused. Ibadan warriors later defeated them and sent them back. This is the reason no traditional ruler in Yoruba wears turban or Lawani in Yoruba language except the emir in Ilorin. This is just history. On Diya, Sani, Ishaya and Al-Mustapha will explain better.

No it isn't maintained, only that no rain falls in the dry season, to expose the bad drainage of the roads. It is somewhere i passed everyday from my childhood.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Egbagirl(f): 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2013
Tolexander: No it isn't maintained, only that no rain falls in the dry season, to expose the bad drainage of the roads. It is somewhere i passed everyday from my childhood.

Do you still pass it today? Or it was only during your childhood?
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 1:22am On Jan 08, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by cfours: 2:05am On Jan 08, 2013
PeterKbaba:

the funny thing is i totally agree with this!! and i'm christian.
The ironic thing is that the ones who denounce traditional gods the most will tend to be the ones guilty of pseudo-christianity. Why are they so obsessed and fearful of so called "powerless" traditional gods so much that all their christian life revolves around these so called gods and spirits they are perpetually in "spiritual warfare" with. clearly they still believe in their powers. my parents are guilty of this.

and yeah, I watch a lot of yoruba movies. totally understand what u mean.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 3:57am On Jan 08, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 3:57am On Jan 08, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Tolexander: 7:05am On Jan 08, 2013
Egba girl:

Do you still pass it today? Or it was only during your childhood?
ya sorry. Meant i pass the road almost everyday since my childhood. I school in ife and stay in town.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 08, 2013
X-factoria:

Hey dude, get your facts right. The fulanis were defeated at Oshogbo and they retreated to Ilorin and that was before the British occupied Yorubaland. It was a conclusive war and the Fulanis lost.

What the Bristish settled were the wars of independence between Oyos and other Yoruba tribes.

Thanks for the correction and update
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Obalufon: 1:00am On Feb 09, 2013
Drock4christ: [img]http://4.bp..com/-FJSNYBcQOBc/T6UAFTiaPPI/AAAAAAAABPg/dKDSXoGtWPQ/s640/Ori-Olokun.jpg[/img]
Yoruba Culture Symbol, Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State
Osun state Governor Rauf Aregbesola on Saturday in Ile-Ifeunveiled an Ife ancestral monument, popularly called Ori-olokun, as part of activities marking the inauguration of Ori-olokun Garden .

The governor performed the unveiling of the huge Ori-Olokun sculpture at the Ori-Olokun Roundabout, formerly Mayfair Roundabout in Ile-Ife.
He described the monument as a precious heritage of the Yoruba race, and urged the people to protect and preserve it.

Mr Taiwo Olaiya, the Executive Secretary, Ife Central Local Government, under whose jurisdiction the garden is situated,also described the monument as the most famous in history.

According to him, Ori-Olokun monument was discovered in the early 20th century by German explorer Leo Frobenius. “Frobenius could not imagine that such works were of African origin and came up with the theory that this great art was evidence of the lost Atlantis of the Greeks. “He further declaredthat the Yoruba deity, Olokun, was the same god as the Greek Poseidon. “The monument was further identified as a modern sand casting of a brass, which comprises copper and zinc.

“The name, Olokun, attached to this head refers to the fact that it was dug up in the late 19th century in the Olokun Grove and used in annual rites to honour Olokun ,’’ he said.

An Ife priest, Chief Faloba Fagbenro, described Olokun as the goddess of the sea and patronage of bead making, which makes glass bead working an important industry in Ile-Ife .

He recalled that the head of Olokun (Ori Olokun) remained in the hands of the family responsible for the Olokun cult until Oni brought it to the palace for safekeeping in 1934.

The the terra-cotta head of Olokun has been replicated in strategic places of the world, including Latin America, and Europe. The image always brings back to memory the civilisation in the areas of art and technology that took place in Nigeria and Africa before the British invasion.

Sen. Jide Omoworare, the senator representing Ife-Ijesa Senatorial District, was among the dignitaries that attended the occasion.

Source: PM NEWS.

This is Ori olokun

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Trinitykey: 3:07pm On Feb 09, 2013
tpia@:

interesting how the features have a more "modern" adaptation to current looks.

The Original is more beautiful than this bogus one- it purely shows the expertise of our ancestors and their natural beauty . .The artist that cast this huge replica should have made the 30feet replica of Ori olokun the way it is ,'not with distorted features to make it looks more modern look or negroid whatever ,The calmness catchy face of the original as if the head is smiling back when look at it is lost ..However i really appreciate what the Government has done reviving Yoruba cultural heritage

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 6:17pm On Feb 10, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 6:21pm On Feb 10, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Trinitykey: 9:51am On Feb 12, 2013
I can't expect much from modern African artist we are too lazy to strive for perfection 'We are more into abstract art than realism ."dancing to the tune of European assumption,' stereotype about nature of African art.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PAPAAFRICA: 8:08am On Apr 21, 2013
tpia@:

interesting how the features have a more "modern" adaptation to current looks.
looks like the original,the face is just a little rounder.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by PAPAAFRICA: 10:40pm On Apr 21, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by tpia5: 3:50pm On May 02, 2013
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by pleep(m): 3:40am On May 04, 2013
That statue is a masterpeice.

and @ that poster of yoruba gods... what exactly are they selling, religion or dick?
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by Obalufon: 9:22am On Jul 12, 2013
pleep: That statue is a masterpeice.

and @ that poster of yoruba gods... what exactly are they selling, religion or dick?

pleep stop bleeping !!.. Are you from Congo?.I know you are disgusted with that black skin you see on you everyday. Self hatred ..This is Yoruba forum we are proud people with long history even predating some of the highly revered civilization in the world ..

1 Like

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by macof(m): 1:27am On Oct 22, 2013
elopee3000: where was ori olokun when usman danfodio attack with horses everything about yoruba is weak thier gods re weak the people self dey weak like oladipo diya

Where was Elohim or Yahweh when the Israelis were take like bag of beans into Babylon?

Where was Yahweh when the Israelis were paying homage to the Romans?

Where was Yahweh and all the Elohim when Hitler massacre them in multitudes?

brainwashed fool.

2 Likes

Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by ogunjaja: 2:16am On Jan 25, 2017
babaolofin:
Also, for the name of gods starting with CH or Z. This is dependent on the flavour of Yoruba Language used in that area. For instance, the Brazilian or Cuban Yoruba flavour (Anago) or the one used in some west africa countries might be pronounced or spelt that way. I have seen where Sango was spelt as Zango outside Nigeria. There are over 400 gods before the coming Islam and Christianity to Yoruba land.
Re: Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State by ogunjaja: 2:46am On Jan 25, 2017
babaolofin:

Greetings from Brazil!!!!

Here we use only X to words you use S like Xango (Sango), Oxum (Òsùn), Oxossi (Osoosi).
Here in Brazil we have Candomblé, that is a religion based on Orisa tradition, we worship 16 Orisa, Esù, Ogun, Osoosi, Obaluaye, Osumare (Esumare, the rainbow) Na Buku (Nánà Burukù), Yewà, Osoniyn, Sòngó, Obà, Òsùn, Óyà, Yèmójà, Iroko, Ologun edè and Obatala

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Would You Marry An Osu? / Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.