Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,706 members, 7,805,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... (13053 Views)

Fayose's Wife, Feyisetan, Paying Hospital Bills Of Poor Women (pics) / Igbos Top List Of Donors To Buhari – APC / Nigerians Top List Of Private Jet Owners In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by rodeo0070(m): 7:36am On Jan 06, 2013
At the end of 2012, Sokoto State remained the poorest state in the country, with 81.2 per cent poverty rate, the records of the National Bureau of Statistics have shown.

According to the information on states of the federation, posted on the bureau’s website, other states with over 70 per cent poverty rate include Katsina, 74.5 per cent; Adamawa, 74.2 per cent; Gombe, 74.2 per cent; Jigawa, 74.1 per cent; Plateau, 74.1 per cent; Ebonyi, 73.6 per cent; Bauchi, 73 per cent; Kebbi, 72 per cent and Zamfara, 70.8 per cent.

The state with the lowest poverty rate was Niger with 33.8 per cent, followed by Osun with 37.9 per cent and Ondo, 45.7 per cent.

Others with less than 50 per cent poverty rate were Bayelsa State, 47 per cent and Lagos State, 48.6 per cent.

The average poverty rate of the states in the North -West geopolitical zone remained the highest at 71.4 per cent followed by North-East 69.1 per cent and North Central, 60.7 per cent.

The record showed that poverty was least prevalent in the South-West, with an average of 49.8 per cent, followed by South-South, 55.5 per cent and South-East, 59.5 per cent.

According to NBS, national unemployment rate stood at 23.9 per cent at the beginning of 2012.

There were no figures for 2011 but the 2012 statistics represented an improvement in the figures released by the bureau for 2010.

The Statistician-General of the NBS, Dr. Yemi Kale, had said 112.519 million Nigerians, representing 69 per cent, lived in relative poverty conditions.

He said this when he released the country’s 2010 poverty profile.

According to the NBS boss, the agency arrived at the 2010 figure, by collecting data from 20 million households having an average of four family members.

In that report, Sokoto had the highest poverty rate of 86.4 per cent, while Niger had the lowest — at 43.6 per cent.

It would be recalled that as at 2004, Jigawa State had the highest poverty rate of 95 per cent, while Anambra, had the lowest- 22 per cent.

For unemployment rate, Zamfara State had the highest rate of 42.6 per cent, followed by Bauchi, 41.4 per cent.

Other states with above 30 per cent unemployment rate included, Gombe, 38.7 per cent; Nassarawa, 36.5 per cent; Jigawa, 35.9 per cent; Edo, 35.2 per cent; Adamawa, 33.8 per cent and Kaduna, 30.3 per cent.

According to the records, unemployment was least in Osun followed by Kwara and Lagos.
SOURCE: www.punchng.com/news/sokoto-katsina-top-list-of-poor-states/
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by Akshow: 7:41am On Jan 06, 2013
I pray this inocous post will not generate into a tribal war for bigots..
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by AbdulAdam56(m): 7:44am On Jan 06, 2013
We north we poor die. cry

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:45am On Jan 06, 2013
How did they gather their data? This report is fit for the bin.
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by FreeGlobe(f): 7:46am On Jan 06, 2013
LWKM......... THE STATISTICIAN GENERAL YEMI KALE!!!!!!!!

WHEN WILL THESE FOLKS STOP TAKING THE WHOLE COUNTRY FOR A RIDE, THINKING WE BELIEVE THEIR BULLSHYTE STATS. THIS DOES NOT REPRESENT WHAT IS ON GROUND! THIS WHOLE STUFF IS BULLSHYTE AND BOTH POLITICALLY AND ETHNICALLY MOTIVATED. NO WONDER I RUSHED TO CHECK THE PERSON IN CHARGE WHEN THE WHOLE LIST STARTED GETTING FUNNY AND WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED.

THRASH STATS.

3 Likes

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 06, 2013
gabbage from YEMI KALE
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by joseph1832(m): 7:48am On Jan 06, 2013
This stats is an eye opener! I want to believe that this year relative change will come to these poor states.
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by aljharem(m): 7:50am On Jan 06, 2013
Abdul Adam56: We north we poor die. cry
grin grin grin my brother you are going with nigeria stats ? funny

1 Like

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by joseph1832(m): 7:51am On Jan 06, 2013
Sunny_bobo: How did they gather their data? This report is fit for the bin.
If you really read the post you'll know how the data was derived. Mr Bin! Tsk...

1 Like

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by cockyjay: 7:52am On Jan 06, 2013
hmm interesting. If i say my mind people would call me a tribalist and my post would be hidden. I hope my Ibho brothers are seeing what i'm seeing?
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by FreeGlobe(f): 7:52am On Jan 06, 2013
No reliable data on Nigeria’s poverty
rate – World Bank

The World Bank has said there is no reliable data with which to correctly measure the decline or
increase in Nigeria’s poverty rate.
In a video press conference to mark the
release of Africa’s Pulse, an analysis of
issues shaping the continent’s economic
future, the World Bank’s Chief Economist
for the African region, Mr. Shanta
Devarajan, said the poverty rate in the
continent’s resource rich was reducing
slower than in non-rich resource nations.
Answering a specific question on Nigeria’s
poverty rate, Devarajan said the subject
was very controversial and suggested that
the country should invest more in the
production of statistics that were reliable.
“We (World Bank) don’t know Nigeria’s
poverty rate. We don’t know whether it
is going up or coming down. There is a lot
controversy surrounding it. There is need
to invest in data,” he said.
The National Bureau of Statistics had in
February released figures that showed
that the nation’s poverty level was
increasing. The report was mired in
controversy as it was rejected by the
Federal Government.
The Statistician-General of the Federation,
Dr. Yemi Kale, had said, “It remains a
paradox … that despite the fact that the
Nigerian economy is growing, the
proportion of Nigerians living in poverty is
increasing every year.
“NBS estimates that this trend may have
increased further in 2011 if the potential
positive impacts of several anti-poverty
and employment generation intervention
programmes are not taken into account.”
According to him, the poverty rate in
Nigeria may have risen to 71.5 per cent,
61.9 per cent, and 62.8 per cent using
the relative, absolute and dollar-per-day
measures, respectively, adding that the
picture would become clearer when the
Annual Socio-Economic Survey would be
completed later in the year.
Devarajan, however, said the continent
needed to translate the high growth rate
it was enjoying into poverty reduction,
adding that job creation remained an
important instrument for poverty
reduction.
He said the continent had a large young
population that could make it a
powerhouse in the future, but regretted
that with the slow rate of job creation,
the young people might end up working
in the informal sector as their parents.
In a statement issued at the end of the
conference, the World Bank said Africa
was expected to grow at 4.8 per cent for
all of 2012.
Excluding South Africa, the continent’s
largest economy, growth in sub-Saharan
Africa was forecast to rise to six per cent.
African exports rebounded notably in the
first quarter of 2012, growing at an
annualised pace of 32 per cent, up from
the 11 per cent recorded in the last
quarter of 2011, it said.
The statement read in part, “African
countries have not been immune to the
recent bout of market volatility stemming
from the Euro area crisis, as well as the
growth slowdown that is occurring in
some of the largest developing
economies, in particular China, which
remains an important market for Africa’s
mineral exporters.
“However, consistently high commodity
prices and strong export growth in those
countries, which have made mineral
discoveries in recent years, have fuelled
economic activity and are expected to
underpin Africa’s economic growth for the
rest of 2012.”
With the global economy still in fragile
condition, Africa’s Pulse warned that the
continent’s strong growth rates could yet
be vulnerable to deteriorating market
conditions in the Euro-zone.
It stated, “In addition, recent spikes in
food and grain prices are a cause for
concern. An unprecedented hot and dry
summer in the United States, Russia and
Eastern Europe led to reduced yields on
both maize and wheat production
worldwide. Africa’s Sahel region is already
suffering from higher food prices, high
rates of malnutrition and recurring crisis
and insecurity.
“Furthermore, swarms of desert locusts
and the ongoing conflict in The Sahel also
undermine the region’s food security.
Countries like Mali and Niger are already
suffering from locust invasions with a
possibility that the swarm could move to
neighbouring countries such as Mauritania
and Chad.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/no-reliable-data-on-nigerias-poverty-rate-world-bank/

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by seanet01: 7:52am On Jan 06, 2013
Sunny_bobo: How did they gather their data? This report is fit for the bin.
When things does not favour your egocentric postures that is what you say.
Are you not the one who believe JAMB data? If you believe that why not this.
Just because with your phantom education postures, you are still poorer than the West.

14 Likes

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by joseph1832(m): 8:00am On Jan 06, 2013
FreeGlobe: LWKM......... THE STATISTICIAN GENERAL YEMI KALE!!!!!!!!

WHEN WILL THESE FOLKS STOP TAKING THE WHOLE COUNTRY FOR A RIDE, THINKING WE BELIEVE THEIR BULLSHYTE STATS. THIS DOES NOT REPRESENT WHAT IS ON GROUND! THIS WHOLE STUFF IS BULLSHYTE AND BOTH POLITICALLY AND ETHNICALLY MOTIVATED. NO WONDER I RUSHED TO CHECK THE PERSON IN CHARGE WHEN THE WHOLE LIST STARTED GETTING FUNNY AND WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED.

THRASH STATS.
Bullshit stats? Please come up with your own stats let's know which state is rich and which state is poor!

1 Like

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by cockyjay: 8:01am On Jan 06, 2013
FreeGlobe: LWKM......... THE STATISTICIAN GENERAL YEMI KALE!!!!!!!!

THRASH STATS.
assuming the the poverty in the SW was found to be next to that of the north you'll believe right?

6 Likes

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:01am On Jan 06, 2013
joseph1832:
If you really read the post you'll know how the data was derived. Mr Bin! Tsk...

I think you need to go back to school to know how data is collected for statistical purposes.
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by TonySpike: 8:08am On Jan 06, 2013
Some nairalanders are so funny. Wasn't it the same NBS data released in 2006 that some ethnic bigots used to spite some regions quoted as having high poverty rates in Nigeria? Now that the data has been reviewed and updated, the figures are fake. This is very pathetic. This thread looks promising, Afam, be on the look-out please!

1 Like

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by aljharem(m): 8:09am On Jan 06, 2013
Tony Spike: Some nairalanders are so funny. Wasn't it the same NBS data released in 2006 that some ethnic bigots used to spite some regions quoted as having high poverty rates in Nigeria? Now that the data has been reviewed and updated, the figures are fake. This is very pathetic. This thread looks promising, Afam, be on the look-out please!

Oh so you remember grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by FreeGlobe(f): 8:12am On Jan 06, 2013
cockyjay: assuming the the poverty in the SW was found to be next to that of the north you'll believe right?
yes... if that makes you happy. You people should keep living in delusion. Getting excited because a bigot statistician general whose work was previously rejected by FG said there is less poverty in a state that cannot pay minimum wage. where people are dying of poverty

1 Like

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by FreeGlobe(f): 8:14am On Jan 06, 2013
Tony Spike: Some nairalanders are so funny. Wasn't it the same NBS data released in 2006 that some ethnic bigots used to spite some regions quoted as having high poverty rates in Nigeria? Now that the data has been reviewed and updated, the figures are fake. This is very pathetic. This thread looks promising, Afam, be on the look-out please!
reviewed and updated by who?

1 Like

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by aljharem(m): 8:14am On Jan 06, 2013
FreeGlobe:
yes... if that makes you happy. You people should keep living in delusion. Getting excited because a bigot statistician general whose work was previously rejected by FG said there is less poverty in a state that cannot pay minimum wage. where people are dying of poverty

read

https://www.nairaland.com/371485/regional-poverty-nigeria-north-south-west

Maybe you would understand what they are talking about grin grin grin
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by Akshow: 8:17am On Jan 06, 2013
FreeGlobe:
you are an idddiot. your guilty conscience made you rush in to call the thrash innocuous when nobody asked you and you open your mouth to call someone a bigot. fool
now i know your case is beyond redemption. I pray hatred and tribalism does not render you crippled and senile like someone i wont mention
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by cockyjay: 8:21am On Jan 06, 2013
FreeGlobe:
ok before i drop my epistle kindly tell me the name of the state that can not pay minimum wage and the people are dying of hunger. I'm waiting
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 06, 2013
Lol @ the south east at 59 percent poverty rate. I'm not a tribalist but damn, this is nonsense. I'll be the last nigerian to believe this bullshït.

1 Like

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 06, 2013
Can you believe that Niger state has the least rate of poverty. Niger state of all states.

3 Likes

Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by PaulJohn1: 9:55am On Jan 06, 2013
...The record showed that poverty was
least prevalent in the South-West, with
an average of 49.8 per cent

The state with the lowest poverty rate
was Niger with 33.8 per cent, followed
by Osun with 37.9 per cent and Ondo,
45.7 per cent

Nice one
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by rodeo0070(m): 9:55am On Jan 06, 2013
Must you be negatively angry/tribal/condescending in expressing your thoughts?
Our arguments should be backed by facts and figures, which people can also learn from. Throwing tantrums will solve nothing...
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by PaulJohn1: 10:00am On Jan 06, 2013
... According to the records,
unemployment was least in Osun
followed by Kwara and Lagos.

Waa shere
Re: Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... by PaulJohn1: 10:07am On Jan 06, 2013
seanet01: When things does not favour your egocentric postures that is what you say.
Are you not the one who believe JAMB data? If you believe that why not this.
Just because with your phantom education postures, you are still poorer than the West.

You're taking this educated illiterate serious cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Cloned PVCs Cannot Be Used On Election Day – Jega / Ndigbo Won’t Accept Less Important Political Appointments –ohanaeze / INEC Shifts Rivers Rerun To March 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.