Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,508 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar (5601 Views)

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / Post A Comment From Your Pastor That Is Worthy Of Quote / Pastor Dies On The Altar After Leading Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 11:40am On Jan 06, 2013
Is the trend of bigger chair as office increases being practised in your church? Is it biblical, did Jesus sit in a bigger chair it did any of the founding apostles do such or it is just one of those wrong doctrines that sneaked into christiandom and is widely accepted?
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Image123(m): 2:52pm On Jan 06, 2013
they don come again ohhhhhh. The pastor should not even sit sef, as a humble servant.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Detonatorrex(m): 3:34pm On Jan 06, 2013
e concern you?
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by PastorKun(m): 3:41pm On Jan 06, 2013
Image123: they don come again ohhhhhh. The pastor should not even sit sef, as a humble servant.

Why are you always so eager to defend unchristlike practices in the church
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by OmoAlata(f): 3:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
My pastor sits on the same chair the congregation sits. Even when he is not there, anyone can sit there.

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 06, 2013
blink182: Is the trend of bigger chair as office increases being practised in your church? Is it biblical, did Jesus sit in a bigger chair it did any of the founding apostles do such or it is just one of those wrong doctrines that sneaked into christiandom and is widely accepted?

Good afternoon sir,

If we are to go by your thought process, we will start asking questions like: did Jesus ever attend a University?

Thank you!
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by tobechi20(m): 4:38pm On Jan 06, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Why are you always so eager to defend unchristlike practices in the church
and wen did sitin in big chair becom unchristian like
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 06, 2013
No!
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
tobechi20: and wen did sitin in big chair becom unchristian like

Matt 23: 6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 06, 2013
davidylan:

Matt 23: 6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

Good afternoon sir,

I don't think Christ's intent was to teach that having "chief seats" in synagogues is wrong. A proper understanding of sacred scriptures is indeed needed here. Christ was trying to condemn their hyprocrisy and not some "chief seat in synagogues". This can be readily seen when the passage you quoted is expanded:

Matthew 23:3-8

"3 So you must obey and follow everything they tell you to do; do not, however, imitate their actions, because they don't practice what they preach. 4 They tie onto people's backs loads that are heavy and hard to carry, yet they aren't willing even to lift a finger to help them carry those loads. 5 They do everything so that people will see them. Look at the straps with scripture verses on them which they wear on their foreheads and arms, and notice how large they are! Notice also how long are the tassels on their cloaks![a] 6 They love the best places at feasts and the reserved seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to have people call them ‘Teacher.’ 8 You must not be called ‘Teacher,’ because you are all equal and have only one Teacher."

Thank you!
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Good afternoon sir,

I don't think Christ's intent was to teach that having "chief seats" in synagogues is wrong. A proper understanding of sacred scriptures is indeed needed here. Christ was trying to condemn their hyprocrisy and not some "chief seat in synagogues". This can be readily seen when the passage you quoted is expanded:

Matthew 23:3-8

"3 So you must obey and follow everything they tell you to do; do not, however, imitate their actions, because they don't practice what they preach. 4 They tie onto people's backs loads that are heavy and hard to carry, yet they aren't willing even to lift a finger to help them carry those loads. 5 They do everything so that people will see them. Look at the straps with scripture verses on them which they wear on their foreheads and arms, and notice how large they are! Notice also how long are the tassels on their cloaks![a] 6 They love the best places at feasts and the reserved seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to have people call them ‘Teacher.’ 8 You must not be called ‘Teacher,’ [size=14pt]because you are all equal[/size] and have only one Teacher."

Thank you!

What then is the purpose of the chief seats if we are all equal?

1 Like

Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
davidylan:

You would then ask what is the purpose of calling someone teacher? Or what is the need of greeting someone with respect since Christ also spoke about them.

The fact that everyone is equal does not in any way imply that having "chief seats" is condemned by the bible as you earlier suggested.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 06, 2013
striktlymi:

You would then ask what is the purpose of calling someone teacher? Or what is the need of greeting someone with respect since Christ also spoke about them.

The fact that everyone is equal does not in any way imply that having "chief seats" is condemned by the bible as you earlier suggested.

If everyone is equal then what is the purpose of chief seats?
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 06, 2013
davidylan:

If everyone is equal then what is the purpose of chief seats?

Sir, I believe that is the question you should have asked instead of implying that sacred scriptures is against it.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 06, 2013
^^^

what bible to these guys such as this gentle brother, read
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jan 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Sir, I believe that is the question you should have asked instead of implying that sacred scriptures is against it.

you are yet to answer the question... if the bible declares that we are all equal, what is the purpose of chief seats in the synagogue?
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 06, 2013
davidylan:

you are yet to answer the question... if the bible declares that we are all equal, what is the purpose of chief seats in the synagogue?

Sir, we should understand that some 'offices' have some privilleges attached to them. If one is a teacher for example, I don't expect that person to to sit where students are meant to be. Similarly, I don't expect a king to sit where the subjects are sitted.

A minister of the gospel occupies a special office and where the person sits has to do with his office. It has nothing to do with the equality of all. Back in the day, when would gather around the diner, my dad would be the one at the head, considering the 'office' he occupies. This does not in anyway undermine our equality in Christ.

Thank you!
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Sir, we should understand that some 'offices' have some privilleges attached to them. If one is a teacher for example, I don't expect that person to to sit where students are meant to be. Similarly, I don't expect a king to sit where the subjects are sitted.

A minister of the gospel occupies a special office and where the person sits has to do with his office. It has nothing to do with the equality of all. Back in the day, when would gather around the diner, my dad would be the one at the head, considering the 'office' he occupies. This does not in anyway undermine our equality in Christ.

Thank you!

I dont get your point. We are talking strictly about the household of FAITH here... i.e. the church. This is not your typical family situation where the bible CLEARLY teaches that the husband is the head of his home.

You did say that some "offices" have privileges attached to them. Can you support this biblically?
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jan 06, 2013
davidylan:

I dont get your point. We are talking strictly about the household of FAITH here... i.e. the church. This is not your typical family situation where the bible CLEARLY teaches that the husband is the head of his home.

You did say that some "offices" have privileges attached to them. Can you support this biblically?

Sir, you should realize that Christianity is expected to be applied in every situation. If one waits till he or she is with his or her Christian brethren to apply the principles of Christianity then I doubt if that individual can be called a true Christian.

Anyways, as per your query, find below:

Deuteronomy 18:3-5

"3 When you sacrifice a bull or sheep, the priests will be given the shoulder, the jaws, and the stomach.[a] 4 In addition, they will receive the first part of your grain harvest and part of your first batches of wine and olive oil.[b] You must also give them the first wool that is cut from your sheep each year. 5 Give these gifts to the priests, because the Lord has chosen them and their descendants out of all the tribes of Israel to be his special servants at the place of worship."

Thank you!
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by PastorKun(m): 6:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
tobechi20: and wen did sitin in big chair becom unchristian like

The issue is not that of sitting on big chair but that of discrimination and preferential treatment within the body of christ. Such practises is un acceptable by christian standards.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
Pastor Kun:

The issue is not that of sitting on big chair but that of discrimination and preferential treatment within the body of christ. Such practises is un acceptable by christian standards.

Good evenin Pastor K,

I agree with you that discrimination and preferential treatment should not find its way into the church.

If this is noticed, then I am of the opinion that it should be spoken against.

Thank you!
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Sir, you should realize that Christianity is expected to be applied in every situation. If one waits till he or she is with his or her Christian brethren to apply the principles of Christianity then I doubt if that individual can be called a true Christian.

You seem rather confused. the christian standard is that the husband is the HEAD of his home.
The christian standard in the church is that ALL (at least all who have attained the age of accountability) are equal in his sight. Acts 10:34 tells us that God is no respecter of persons... whether you're the church pastor cleaner... all are equal in his eyes.

So how is the christian standard not applied in every case here?

striktlymi:
Anyways, as per your query, find below:

Deuteronomy 18:3-5

"3 When you sacrifice a bull or sheep, the priests will be given the shoulder, the jaws, and the stomach.[a] 4 In addition, they will receive the first part of your grain harvest and part of your first batches of wine and olive oil. You must also give them the first wool that is cut from your sheep each year. 5 Give these gifts to the priests, [b]because the Lord has chosen them and their descendants out of all the tribes of Israel to be his special servants at the place of worship."

Thank you!

I'm sorry but this is not a serious response. The priests were elevated in the old testament solely because of the dispensation of that time. The people were not allowed to approach God individually but had to go through the priests (who acted as intermediaries)...

Under the dispensation of grace, the veil has now been torn from the temple... and all are now able to approach Him in faith. Acts 10.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Good evenin Pastor K,

I agree with you that discrimination and preferential treatment should not find its way into the church.

If this is noticed, then I am of the opinion that it should be spoken against.

Thank you!

but isnt that the purpose of the chief seats in the church? Is that not preferential treatment?
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
davidylan:

You seem rather confused. the christian standard is that the husband is the HEAD of his home.
The christian standard in the church is that ALL (at least all who have attained the age of accountability) are equal in his sight. Acts 10:34 tells us that God is no respecter of persons... whether you're the church pastor cleaner... all are equal in his eyes.

So how is the christian standard not applied in every case here?

I'm sorry but this is not a serious response. The priests were elevated in the old testament solely because of the dispensation of that time. The people were not allowed to approach God individually but had to go through the priests (who acted as intermediaries)...

Under the dispensation of grace, the veil has now been torn from the temple... and all are now able to approach Him in faith. Acts 10.

Evenin again,

I guess emotions are beginning to set in and tempers are rising.

Let's just leave at your personal beliefs!

I don't think a trivial matter like "chief seats" is enough to make this thread as hot as it is getting.

Thanks for the discuss!
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Image123(m): 6:44pm On Jan 06, 2013
I need to imbibe this greeting culture, its so cool looking so far.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by tpia5: 10:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
the usual army of anti-everythings should come and take over the thread.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by PastorKun(m): 7:30am On Jan 07, 2013
Image123: I need to imbibe this greeting culture, its so cool looking so far.

You also need to repent, give your life to christ and stop supporting those who are abusing the church of christ from within. Imbibing a greeting culture when your heart is still very corrupt is false humility and would further expose you as a hypocrite.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by plappville(f): 8:52am On Jan 07, 2013
davidylan:

I think I have listened to Jim Staley sermon on this seat issue. He said the seats are used when one is to read the Torah, thats why everything the priest says when in that seat should be obeyed because at the moment, the words he brings forth are not his but from God. I have to search for this video and post it if possible.

Thats why Jesus told His disciple this: matt 23:3
) So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by plappville(f): 8:54am On Jan 07, 2013
Omo Alata: My pastor sits on the same chair the congregation sits. Even when he is not there, anyone can sit there.

Same method here, no special sit for Daddy and Mummy.... grin
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by plappville(f): 9:00am On Jan 07, 2013
mark 9:35 He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, "Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else."

I hope this is clear enough ... grin
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Image123(m): 9:41am On Jan 07, 2013
plappville: mark 9:35 He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, "Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else."

I hope this is clear enough ... grin
I knew it, I knew it. These pastors are servants, they shouldn't even sit. We are 'making progress'.
Re: Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar by Image123(m): 9:46am On Jan 07, 2013
Pastor Kun:

You also need to repent, give your life to christ and stop supporting those who are abusing the church of christ from within. Imbibing a greeting culture when your heart is still very corrupt is false humility and would further expose you as a hypocrite.
good morning KunleO, how are you doing? HAPPY NEW YEAR. Same to you. How are your wives and children? how is your BP sir? And how's your health? Morning again, this is good day to us all in Jesus name.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do People Blame The Devil Or Others For Their Errors? / Rewards Of Righteousness / Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.