Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,273 members, 7,807,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? (28756 Views)

The Unspoken Truth: Why Women Hate Each Other So Damn Much / Why Do Women Always Do This (Picture) / What Kind Of Woman Would You Love To Marry- Choose (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Afam4eva(m): 6:34pm On Jan 06, 2013
If there's one thing I've noticed in life, it is that people always embrace things that will benefit them. With the infiltration of western culture into Nigeria, our ladies have been mostly receptive to this culture. They embrace it and even carry it into their search for a spouse. I've heard ladies say things like "I can't marry a traditional man". Meaning that, they don't want a man who's a stickler for African tradition. I think this is just because these ladies know that African culture does not favour them so, they'll rather marry someone who has a western outlook on life.

They want a man who won't require them to cook as a typical African woman will readily do.

They want a man that will give them the kind of freedom that they desire to do whatever they want? Ask Tonto Dike.

They want a man that won't rule over them as the head of the family. Infact they want someone they won't submit to.

Isn't it ironic that the same ladies will want advice young people that they should respect their elders because it's part of African culture.

You can see that these ladies use and dump African culture when it suits them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by EzePromoe: 6:47pm On Jan 06, 2013
This phenomenon is applicable to those so-called educated ones who may see it as wasting her degrees under the control of a man. They also see the dumping of the African tradition as 'civilisation'. For Tonto Dikeh, just leave her. She smokes and I'm not surprise when she starts vomiting thrash. Even her people here condemns her choice of words, because of that she didn't come home for holidays. She's just a stubborn fly that'll go down with the corpse.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:37pm On Jan 06, 2013
Cos they think they are civilized.
Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by free2ryhme: 7:54pm On Jan 06, 2013
becos dey believe the guy wud be stingy and hard to deceive ... U know ladies dont like bin made agenda @ family meeting so they do much to avoid these kind of men
Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Gambrosia: 8:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
God forbid o! cheesy
I find them local and utter BUSH MEATS! kiss
ESPECIALLY CHIEFS!

No traditional men for me o! I AM NOT A TRADITIONAL WOMAN. . . TWA!!! grin
My dad was one. . . but he was only my dad. NOT MY HUSBAND, I TOLERATED HIM TILL I WAS OUT OF HIS HOUSE!. . .My mom did not put up with all that craaaaaaaaaaaaap from him either! kiss Or from ANY OTHER MAN! kiss
My husband WAS one. . .till I cured him of that TRADITIONAL MADNESS! kiss

Sorry. . .for me to live in the same house with you. . .YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO COOK AND CLEAN!!!
You must believe a woman is an EQUAL PARTNER IN THE HOME. . . .

Just hang your 'trust and obey' AND SUBMIT SHYTE hat outside. . .BEFORE YOU H-ENTER MY HOUSE!

Or esle. . . YOU GO HIAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRAM! kiss

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
This is simply not true. You should say some ladies. My hubby is a traditional man, as I am a family woman. I am a Dr, but my family comes before my career.
I cook and my hubby helps especially if I am not able to cook for any reason, he is actually a very good cook. It doesn't make him less of a traditional man.
My religion and my culture teaches me that the man is the head of the family, so no amount of western education can change that.

28 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 06, 2013
A man is the head of the family but speaking of bush meat,I hate the smell of those.A man should rule with wisdom and not iron rods.No one wants a foolish man that will summon "umunna" because his wife ate "eke okuko".The modern man it is all the way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
**his wife I mean**
Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 2:16am On Jan 07, 2013
In the midst of all the bitterness, people seem to have lost sight of one of the fundermental advantages we have as humans, one that sets us apart from lower animals.

Freedom of choice.

A lady can marry a traditional man, or a "modern" one. It's her call, and she's not answerable to anyone with regards her decision. We can't all be the same, if that were the case, we'd run out of life partners, with everyone competing for the same.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 4:19am On Jan 07, 2013
There's something my mom told me and i wont forget it.she said you are too educated,exposed and beautiful to marry a traditional man.they wont bring out the best in you,they will make you subservient to them,they will reduce you to properties of their own and you wont have a life of your own.you will only live and aspire for them.marry a friend,a companion and confidant not a ruler,a domineering man oregocentric man which is associated with traditional men.many of them even have violent tendencies and will have their way through violence.mind you my mom is married and not just married,she has been happily married some thirty something years back.anyway what is good for a might be repulsive to b,as for me o,i cant marry a traditional man.even the educated ones are not different from the way mechanics,tailors,drivers and gateman will think.their school of thought judging from what i've studied about them,a mans problem is his wifes problem too,a wife's problem is her own problem and buisness.she doesnt have an opinion a voice and a say.she is suseptible to violence and threat at any time.some ladies may like traditional men o,thats their cup of tea,but for me o and people around me i know of,they cant marry traditional men.i remember mumsi also saying the ladies that will find traditional men ok with them are illiterates,semi illiterates,sales girls,house girls,janitors and messengers because they know next to nothing and they believe whatever their husby says is final.fortunatly for me,i am blessed my parents are still alive and together,my dad is an example.he is a partner to my mom and not a domineering man.he is my model for having a man.such a liberal man

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by free2ryhme: 5:27am On Jan 07, 2013
kulyie: There's something my mom told me and i wont forget it.she said you are too educated,exposed and beautiful to marry a traditional man.they wont bring out the best in you,they will make you subservient to them,they will reduce you to properties of their own and you wont have a life of your own.you will only live and aspire for them.marry a friend,a companion and confidant not a ruler,a domineering man oregocentric man which is associated with traditional men.many of them even have violent tendencies and will have their way through violence.mind you my mom is married and not just married,she has been happily married some thirty something years back.anyway what is good for a might be repulsive to b,as for me o,i cant marry a traditional man.even the educated ones are not different from the way mechanics,tailors,drivers and gateman will think.their school of thought judging from what i've studied about them,a mans problem is his wifes problem too,a wife's problem is her own problem and buisness.she doesnt have an opinion a voice and a say.she is suseptible to violence and threat at any time.some ladies may like traditional men o,thats their cup of tea,but for me o and people around me i know of,they cant marry traditional men.i remember mumsi also saying the ladies that will find traditional men ok with them are illiterates,semi illiterates,sales girls,house girls,janitors and messengers because they know next to nothing and they believe whatever their husby says is final.fortunatly for me,i am blessed my parents are still alive and together,my dad is an example.he is a partner to my mom and not a domineering man.he is my model for having a man.such a liberal man

I like your speech plenty of sense in it but do you know that a woman must be submissive for her to control her man(traditional/or not)..that's the simple fact,but only few that are wise knows about that!

Go ask those traditional men who come to public like tigers but in their home they a harmless kitten..

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 5:37am On Jan 07, 2013
Traditionally Men? You are on your own.

Had one as a colleague who insisted his future wife must know how to pound yam because he loves pounded yam? In this modern world?
I was even suggesting for him yam powder or to do the pounding while the wife cooks the yam, he said no way! Lol. The same person also wants a working graduate.

Another one that was seeking for marriage was enquiring about me and one of the questions he asked my cousin was if I can cook bitter leaf soup because he doesn't joke with that. shocked

Anyway,

A shout out to all traditional Men, wake up, it 2013 already..keep the useful traditions( if you like) and drop the ones that will send your future wives earlier to grave. I don talk finish!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by free2ryhme: 5:48am On Jan 07, 2013
Vikin: Traditionally Men? You are on your own.

Had one as a colleague who insisted his future wife must know how to pound yam because he loves pounded yam? In this modern world?
I was even suggesting for him yam powder or to do the pounding while the wife cooks the yam, he said no way! Lol. The same person also wants a working graduate.

Another one that was seeking for marriage was enquiring about me and one of the questions he asked my cousin was if I can cook bitter leaf soup because he doesn't joke with that. shocked

Anyway,

A shout out to all traditional Men, wake up, it 2013 already..keep the useful traditions( if you like) and drop the ones that will send your future wives earlier to grave. I don talk finish!

is there anything wrong in a graduate(female ) pounding yam or cooking bitter leaf soup ....?

20 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 6:02am On Jan 07, 2013
free2ryhme:

I like your speech plenty of sense in it but do you know that a woman must be submissive for her to control her man(traditional/or not)..that's the simple fact,but only few that are wise knows about that!

Go ask those traditional men who come to public like tigers but in their home they a harmless kitten..
lol @ traditional men are harmless kitten at home.in the homes of traditional men i have studied,it is a rare priviledge for the man to be at home and it is a big priviledge on the part of the part of the wife for 'our daddy' as they are called by the wife or wives to eat their food.any woman that qustions their decision is tagged as an arrogant woman and should be ready to leave that house.they are lord and masters in that house.as for the kids dont even let me go there.secondly yes,you are right.for you to have your way with any kind of man liberal,conservative or traditional man,a woman has to be humble.however look at the kind of marriages in which women are the best in their fields,buisnesses,careers and are leaders of companies,it is the kind of marriages were the man is liberal,also look at the kind of homes where the man is a traditionalist,the women are pitiable.no time to pursue their career or lives because they are living for the man.i will give a little illustration now.women are likened to flowers,if you continually trample on them,they start degenerating and after some time,wither,but if you wet a flower continually it grows and gets more beautiful and nourished.at the end of the day,the home is beautiful,the kids are happy and the man feels fulfilled. I read and watched a prominent nigerian by the name ibukun awosika,a buisness tycoon,read about her career life and home,then check whether you hear of any prominent woman in nigeria who married a traditionalist.i will stop here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 6:11am On Jan 07, 2013
free2ryhme:

is there anything wrong in a graduate(female ) pounding yam or cooking bitter leaf soup ....?
there is nothing wrong in pounding yam or cooking soup,it is part of the characteristics of a virtous woman to be domesticated.i am not a fan of domestic laziness.i am a 5 year old graduate and i pound yam very well,as a matter of fact i prefer pounding and eating pounded yam to all this powdered yam.during my nysc days,i served in a village where their staple food was pounded yam,amala and fufu but more of pounded yam,no machines and all associated with modern life,i was opened to learning so i learnt fast.i was taught how to pound yam by a local 13 year old girl.if its not smooth,she throws it away and asks me to pound another one,i did this consistently till i was able to pound yam properly that it will be fluffy.yam too was cheap,so there was no problem buying yam.the only thing that pains me is that my dad doesnt like pounded yam,only my mom,so whenever she feels like it or requests for it,i do it for her

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 7:08am On Jan 07, 2013
free2ryhme:

Nothing wrong my dear kiss

Just that I would have much more important things than worrying about if my pounded yam has seeds in it, or if my bitter leaf soup is too bitter.

Something's are complimentary for me not an obligation.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 07, 2013
kulyie: there is nothing wrong in pounding yam or cooking soup,it is part of the characteristics of a virtous woman to be domesticated.i am not a fan of domestic laziness.i am a 5 year old graduate and i pound yam very well,as a matter of fact i prefer pounding and eating pounded yam to all this powdered yam.during my nysc days,i served in a village where their staple food was pounded yam,amala and fufu but more of pounded yam,no machines and all associated with modern life,i was opened to learning so i learnt fast.i was taught how to pound yam by a local 13 year old girl.if its not smooth,she throws it away and asks me to pound another one,i did this consistently till i was able to pound yam properly that it will be fluffy.yam too was cheap,so there was no problem buying yam.the only thing that pains me is that my dad doesnt like pounded yam,only my mom,so whenever she feels like it or requests for it,i do it for her

If pounding yam is part of characteristics of virtuous woman, I therefore declare my self as "unvirtuous! tongue

Virtuous woman indeed!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Afam4eva(m): 7:32am On Jan 07, 2013
Vikin:

If pounding yam is part of characteristics of virtuous woman, I therefore declare my self as "unvirtuous! tongue

Virtuous woman indeed!
Pounding yam is even a worst case scenario but it's just a pointer to how ladies will look the other way cos African culture does not benefit them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 07, 2013
afam4eva:
Pounding yam is even a worst case scenario but it's just a pointer to how ladies will look the other way cos African culture does not benefit them.

Talk true, if you be woman you will do the same. The reason most men are here talking about tradition and all, it's because it really favour's them.

Abeg, I got one life to live and am not ready to kill myself for a man because I can't pound yam properly or I don't know how to do the local ewedu soup with broomstick.

I rather focus on my Dy Dx, make the cash with hubby together then go on sweet vacation every now and then and have sweet s e.x.x.x while looking like under 15.

No time!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Afam4eva(m): 8:10am On Jan 07, 2013
Vikin:

Talk true, if you be woman you will do the same. The reason most men are here talking about tradition and all, it's because it really favour's them.

Abeg, I got one life to live and am not ready to kill myself for a man because I can't pound yam properly or I don't know how to do the local ewedu soup with broomstick.

I rather focus on my Dy Dx, make the cash with hubby together then go on sweet vacation every now and then and have sweet s e.x.x.x while looking like under 15.

No time!
But you see, our mothers and grandmother never complained about doing these things. Girls of nowadays are just lazy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 07, 2013
afam4eva:
But you see, our mothers and grandmother never complained about doing these things. Girls of nowadays are just lazy.

Go marry your granny na!

By the way, if you think Dy Dx is being lazy, then I tell you....that's not my definition of lazy.

If she sits at home, pounding yam, cooking, washing dishes, you will scream you want an independent woman to help you make some money in this volatile economy...

My dear, I have tasted both lives style... I cook very well, home chores, was raised in core tradition. etc but as I grew up I had to make a choice because my parents wanted me to make my choice! And I choose a more fulfilling lifestyle, easy I tell you. All I need to do, is to punch my PC and do some simulation...voila, everything is added unto me! What a life to live.

To those that really fancy the typical way of doing things traditionally.... It's your choice! Not mine.

Funny those ones that thinks you are lazy, will be same people asking for loans from you! tongue

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by EzePromoe: 8:32am On Jan 07, 2013
afam4eva:
We call them okpuno/ngana. The women of nowadays finds it hard to do what women of old do and when the man looks outside for someone who does it better, he's a cheat. I myself, to tell you the truth, i can't marry a woman who can't cook, no matter how beautiful she looks, the best I can do is to fück the living daylight out of her pünny! angry

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 07, 2013
Vikin:

Virtuous woman indeed!
cheesy cheesy i am not saying the characteristics of a virtous woman is pounding yam,i said one of the characteristics of a virtous woman is being able to cook proper meals that will not make you puke.it is an embarassment,an ear sore for that matter for anyone man or woman to say she cant cook or clean.thats a little aspect of being domesticated and this is where i dont blame men when they divorce their wifes or leave their girlfriends

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:53am On Jan 07, 2013
[b]AFAM!! Tradition is dead....

Lets be honest men, the number of girls that still carry our core traditional values have diminished quite alot. This 'women ;iberation/empowerment' has made girls with traditional values an endangered specie. Sending our daughters abroad to school thereby exposing them to the western culture and way of life hasnt helped matters either. It has even eaten into the way marriages are contracted. Whats left is for girls to wear (western) wedding gowns for their traditional weddings.

All our ladies today want to do is simply go shopping, look fly, do their hair and nails, fly first class to fancy destinations and party. Simply put, they all want to be beyonce.. You can date a girl for 5 years and in those 5 years, she will barely talk about raising up kids and how she intends to raise them. Ask for what they call cooking today, my brother it is pitiful. Thats why Househelps and Nannys now have companies that they work for. I visited my friend who is a newly wed and they already had a live in househelp (Barely 4 months into the marriage). I broke up with many dames because I realized that beyond the fake hair, tight jeans and push-up bras, they had absolutely nothing else to offer. A girl sleeps and wakes up and the next thing she is sitting in the living room watching DSTV. By 7:30am, whilst I am busy prepping to go to work. Couldnt even make simple coffee for me or straighten the bed. I am very traditional. I want a woman that can cook, clean my house, handle certain small household business like restock the shelves, restock my toileteries, re-stock my fridge, iron clothes e.t.c. Even if I say okay babe, dont stress yourself about XYZ, its important to know that she can do them.. Most of our girls want to live the Kim Kardashian lifestyle.

Well, while I am lashing out at the women, I will also blame the guys.. Traditional girls still abound. They just dont always come in the most fanciest of wrappings. being a slut sells better and faster than being a lady. So most girls have also stopped looking for traditional men and now want the magazine cover guys. 21st century compliant guys.

Meanwhile.. I learnt of a Lady who started dating this guy. That as soon as she came into his life, she started acting like a wife. She would pick out his clothes, buy and replace his socks (if they are torn), replace his underwears and boxers (Stuff that most guys tend to always forget to do), cook meals for him to come back from work to, bring him surprise (home cooked) lunch at work, buy and replace things like toilet rolls, bathing sponge and soap, deodorant, perfumes, e.t.c whilst keeping his house clean. When the guy gave her a key to his flat, he didnt know.. They were married after barely a year of courting. The guy became so dependent of her it was almost like she had used juju on him. MEANWHILE.. This babe schooled in Jand o!! MSc. holder.

I guess it is what it is.. I cannot date a girl with no traditional values for any reason other than sex.. Thank God I found one of the last few good girls in Nigeria for my wife... [/b]

26 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by MMotimo: 10:04am On Jan 07, 2013
Lol @ push-up bras
Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by slimyem: 10:19am On Jan 07, 2013
Men are just confused.They want traditional wives and also want independent intellectual women perpetually looking like cleopatra while also contibuting to family coffers.
The meeting point of both is thin.
Traditional men usually want a boss-sevant relationship and well,modern women won't suscribe to such. Who wants a man who sees her as nothing more than a subordinate who's supposed to be at his beck and call all day everyday?
A man who wants a wife that'd take his briefcase as soon as he walks in the door,arrange his bath water,set food on the table and watch him eat and go warm his bed afterwards...or isn't that the stereotype?
Abeg!
If you are a traditional man who wants a traditional wife,look in the right place.Take the fastest bus to your village and find a qualified mgbeke who has been specially trained to SERVE you her husband all her life...and goodluck with that!
winkwink

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:21am On Jan 07, 2013
Gambrosia: God forbid o! cheesy
I find them local and utter BUSH MEATS! kiss
ESPECIALLY CHIEFS!

No traditional men for me o! My dad was one. . . but he is only my dad.
My husband WAS one. . .till I cured him of that TRADITIONAL MADNESS! kiss

Sorry. . .for me to live in the same house with you. . .YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO COOK AND CLEAN!!!
You must believe a woman is an EQUAL PARTNER IN THE HOME. . . .

Just hang your 'trust and obey' hat outside. . .BEFORE YOU H-ENTER MY HOUSE!

Or esle. . . YOU GO HIAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRAM! kiss

Na wa oh! How many times will Nairaland moderators ban you? From Blazay to Calloti(or is it Callota, that wicked woman in el nombre del amor) to Jellita to Gambrosia.

Moderators, you've got someone who's ready for you guys.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:23am On Jan 07, 2013
slimyem: Men are just confused.They want traditional wives and also want independent intellectual women perpetually looking like cleopatra while also contibuting to family coffers.
The meeting point of both is thin.
Traditional men usually want a boss-sevant relationship and well,modern women won't suscribe to such. Who wants a man who sees her as nothing more than a subordinate who's supposed to be at his beck and call all day everyday?
A man who wants a wife that'd take his briefcase as soon as he walks in the door,arrange his bath water,set food on the table and watch him eat and go warm his bed afterwards...or isn't that the stereotype?
Abeg!
If you are a traditional man who wants a traditional wife,look in the right place.Take the fastest bus to your village and find a qualified mgbeke who has been specially trained to SERVE you her husband all her life...and goodluck with that!
winkwink

So you havent changed.. This is why our relationship never worked out!! angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by slimyem: 10:33am On Jan 07, 2013
Okija_juju:

So you havent changed.. This is why our relationship never worked out!! angry
Haha!
1952 men and 2013 women don't mix!tonguewink

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Afam4eva(m): 10:35am On Jan 07, 2013
slimyem: Haha!
1952 men and 2013 women don't mix!tonguewink
Are you one of those ladies that slap men?
Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by slimyem: 10:48am On Jan 07, 2013
afam4eva:
Are you one of those ladies that slap men?
Re: Why Do Women Hate To Marry Traditional Men? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:50am On Jan 07, 2013
So because you have a job and contribute to the household funds, you and your husband are now mates abi?! angry

Thats why you wont cook or clean the house abi?!

Thats why you cant run him a bath or do his laundry?!

angry

What kind of life is this sef?!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"My Mistake Is That I Married Poor Men" - Kenyan Mom Of 11 Married To 2 Men / Mad Woman Gives Birth To Twins In Public In Delta State / Why Do Africans Prefer Suffering Or Putting Themselves In Difficult Situations?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.