Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,612 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

Relatives Living With Ones Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Relatives Living With Ones Family (748 Views)

Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives / Handling The Issue of Giving Financial Support To Relatives / Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relatives Living With Ones Family by SKYQUEST(m): 7:19pm On Jan 06, 2013
A colleague of mine on our way home from work last Friday told me about an issue he was passing through at home. A younger sister to the wife with two toddlers irreconcilably separated from her husband and is currently leaving at his house of a family of six in a three bedroom apartment in Lagos. This guy does not like the idea more so as another younger brother of the wife was already living with the family. He is not sure how to handle this issue. I really didn't know how to advise him since he claims his house seems to be the only convenient place she could live with her children since her parents house is far away in Mowe and she might not find a reasonable job to do there. How will you advise this guy?
Re: Relatives Living With Ones Family by EfemenaXY: 7:37pm On Jan 06, 2013
Stories like these, I detest. Now, let me get this straight:

~ Your friend is married

~ His is a family of six (6): Does this mean he's got six (6) kids or you're referring to the couple and their four (4) kids?

~ His wifey's younger sister's separated from her husband. She's got 2 kids of her own and they (sister + 2 kids) now live with your friend

~ Wifey's younger sister is unemployed at the moment

~ His wifey's younger brother also lives with them (employed? or unemployed?)

~ They all share a 3 bedroom flat

~ Total number of people in your friend's household: 6 + 3 + 1 = 10 or probably 12?

Is your friend's wife employed at all? Does she contribute financially to the upkeep of that very large home? Do her brother and sister also contribute financially too? Or is at all on the poor man's shoulders alone?

Jeez! Some people can really take the Mickey! If that guy suffers a stroke today, won't those extra (adult) mouths to feed find their level?

My advice to the guy would be send the wife's younger sister back to her parents home or better still, sort out issues with her husband. Whether or not the marriage is salvageable or not, the lady's husband should shoulder some responsibility for the upkeep of his two (2) toddlers. She isn't your friend's responsibility for goodness sake.

1 Like

Re: Relatives Living With Ones Family by Gambrosia: 8:44pm On Jan 06, 2013
It is called 'communual-living'!
Very common in AFRICA.
God bless AMERICA JARE!

No room for such UNPRODUCTIVE HABITS! kiss
Re: Relatives Living With Ones Family by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
Na wa oh,
Efe That your calculation fear me oh.
Poster was he informed before everyone moved in?
Mowe is still in Lagos na, Life is no beans, its not easy, starting over is hard and she should be ready to start all over from scratch and not strain her sisters home.
He should call a family meeting and ask them what the plans are and when they intend to move out or if they intend to move out. People even relatives can't just move in to a home with kids without proper planning.
Seperation is not easy and people who make the decision need support I should know but in getting and giving support you shouldn't strain others.
I had 3 sisters I could live with but my fathers advice was to get my own place, am sure she can't afford a place now but straining her sisters home is a bad idea, I say move in with the parents in that case there will be more motivation to get a job and a home for the kids.

(1) (Reply)

Guide On How To Determine The Gender Of Your Baby / If Your Younger One Beat Up Ur Spouse. / Wife Of House Of Reps Members Accused To Torturing Two Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.