Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile (30750 Views)

OMG VIDEO: Nigerians Tattoo Their Lips PINK! / African Women Who Tattoo Their Gums Black For A More Beautiful Smile (VIDEO) / Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by stylesco: 7:03am On Jan 08, 2013
Ileke-IdI:
she's pretty.
Yeah she is..
Nothing good comes easy.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 7:08am On Jan 08, 2013
Choi this is African cosmosurgery but wait o if I see a lady smiling wif black gums it could lead to a turn off.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 08, 2013
Suc.ker for dark gum. It makes smiles beautiful! Hope doz needles are sterilised sha, b4 we begin to hear of HIV pandemic
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Ayoobscom(m): 7:33am On Jan 08, 2013
I sincerely like this gum

1 Like

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Flygerian1(m): 8:18am On Jan 08, 2013
Madness...
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by vanstanzy(m): 8:46am On Jan 08, 2013
That country senegal, have always being at the fore-front of African Voodoo. I won't be surprised if the black dye is actually a voodoo concoction aimed at trapping men when u rob it on and smile at them.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by vanstanzy(m): 8:51am On Jan 08, 2013
Behold, their mouth cancer awaits! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by vanstanzy(m): 8:58am On Jan 08, 2013
#80million:
*speechless*

so how will this collect the 4th award back from Messi and give it to CR7?

Not on ur life, mehn! Merciless Messi won that award cos he most deserved it and he's the best among the rest. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Alexchubee(m): 9:40am On Jan 08, 2013
Stupidity.....Stupidity.....Stupidity.....
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by mysticgal(f): 9:42am On Jan 08, 2013
jeeeez??
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by phayvoursky(m): 10:13am On Jan 08, 2013
Smile for me baby ooo eeh
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by ignis: 10:25am On Jan 08, 2013
sexkillz: Iberiberism. . .
Searching my lexicon for the meaning of this word.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by jenifertaler: 12:54pm On Jan 08, 2013
oh my god
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by nwachineke00: 5:16pm On Jan 08, 2013
Babzilla: TSK TSK. HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM SMELLY ITCHY WEAVE-ONS, 8 INCH FAKE NAILS, 6INCH HEAVY LASHES, & OF RECENT PIERCINGS & THE CRAPPY TATTOOS WE C. BECAUSE ITS NOT FROM THE WEST ITS TERMED 'MADNESS'. ID BET THAT IF IT WERE WESTERNERS DOING THIS IT WONT BE QUESTIONED BUT ADOPTED angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Bad belle pipu...
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 5:50pm On Jan 08, 2013
sweet_gala: As mentioned above it is part of tradition it's rather odds that a western way of viewing African acts as uncivilized has taken prevalence in many Nigerians.
The practice as explained takes its roots from tradition, advantages are stated to include suppression of odours, teeth whitening and healthier gums that bleed less.
Same goes for tribal marks once accepted as important facial beautification and clan signifier now seen as inhumane scaring.

I am thinking the same.

How is this different from the fact that many, even in Nigeria, still do tribal-marks?
Why is this so bad?

This is something the women also can CHOOSE to do, it is not a custom to do so anymore. Same with tribal-marks or tattoos on the chin, cheeks, side of the eye, and forehead.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:33pm On Jan 08, 2013
ignis:
Searching my lexicon for the meaning of this word.

i thinks its accented way of saying barbarism. . grin
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 08, 2013
TerryCarr: Change=cultural imperialism. now i don't care about the gums thing but giving up your cultural, your language just because you think it is savage and primitive is sad.
Seriously, I doubt if you know what culture really means. I see it as collective achievement in different human endeavours. Most of us failed to understand culture evolves. It is the simple reason why the way we live today is different from our forefathers. Surprisingly, you are failing to see that in this present generation. It is a big shame on your side. However, I am not against culture but when we begin to see some barbaric practices as something worth emulating then I feel to disagree.

keep fooling yourself to think it is all culture to embrace everything in the past that is primitively irritating.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 12:22am On Jan 09, 2013
all4naija: Seriously, I doubt if you know what culture really means. I see it as collective achievement in different human endeavours. Most of us failed to understand culture evolves. It is the simple reason why the way we live today is different from our forefathers. Surprisingly, you are failing to see that in this present generation. It is a big shame on your side. However, I am not against culture but when we begin to see some barbaric practices as something worth emulating then I feel to disagree.

keep fooling yourself to think it is all culture to embrace everything in the past that is primitively irritating.

But how is this any worse than all the tattooing many peple are doing all over their body..?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 1:43am On Jan 09, 2013
JallowBah:

But how is this any worse than all the tattooing many people are doing all over their body..?
You can check for information on both practices for yourself. The process and location of the tattoo explain the differences to some extent.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by TerryCarr(m): 8:07am On Jan 09, 2013
all4naija: Seriously, I doubt if you know what culture really means. I see it as collective achievement in different human endeavours. Most of us failed to understand culture evolves. It is the simple reason why the way we live today is different from our forefathers. Surprisingly, you are failing to see that in this present generation. It is a big shame on your side. However, I am not against culture but when we begin to see some barbaric practices as something worth emulating then I feel to disagree.

as long as it is not harming nobody body i don't see whats the problem. changing people to the way you want them to be is cultural imperialism. calling there religions evil and putting a bible in there hand and saying "Jesus will save you" is wrong.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 12:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
all4naija: You can check for information on both practices for yourself. The process and location of the tattoo explain the differences to some extent.

Many people, all over the world, use what is called "Stick n poke", which is the traditional way of tattooing. Not all artist of tattooing use a machine. So, maybe it is YOU who need to check on information..
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 09, 2013
JallowBah:

Many people, all over the world, use what is called "Stick n poke", which is the traditional way of tattooing. Not all artist of tattooing use a machine. So, maybe it is YOU who need to check on information..
What about the location? Huh!

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 9:22pm On Jan 09, 2013
JallowBah: Many fulani in Gambia do this as well.

I know some people who TRIED to do it. Lol. The backed out after 3-4 stings with the needle grin
I also know some people who did this when they were around 14 years..it also makes a dark mark around the mouth for many of the girls.
This is no worse than tribal-marks getting cut into the face or the body, people.

It doesn't leave a dark mark around the mouth unless you tattoo the mouth also which many fulani and toucouleurs women do.

It actually looks very nice when you see it in real life. When a woman with a tattooed gum smiles.

@Majority of girls choose to do it because it makes ones smile nicer. The same way you have your tattoos(your choice) it's the same way they tattoo their gums.
vanstanzy: That country senegal, have always being at the fore-front of African Voodoo. I won't be surprised if the black dye is actually a voodoo concoction aimed at trapping men when u rob it on and smile at them.

Lol @pot calling kettle black.

You sit on a Nigeria forum and say Senegal is the forefront of voodoo when every single thing with nigerians is juju this and juju that.

Senegalese 'voodoo' is more to so with spirituality, fortune telling etc. Not the kind where you sell body parts to make money as you would see in Nigeria.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 11:05pm On Jan 09, 2013
all4naija: What about the location? Huh!

..in the bush, you mean?
Or, inside the mouth?

Never seen a white man tattoo things inside the mouth? I have seen many..
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2013
kandiikane:

It doesn't leave a dark mark around the mouth unless you tattoo the mouth also which many fulani and toucouleurs women do.

It actually looks very nice when you see it in real life. When a woman with a tattooed gum smiles.

@Majority of girls choose to do it because it makes ones smile nicer. The same way you have your tattoos(your choice) it's the same way they tattoo their gums.

Yes, it does leave a mark for some, it depends on the mix you use, and how long time it takes for you to finish the mouth. Some use strong henna, which is supposed to go away but sometimes don`t, for tattooing.

It looks absolutely beautiful.
Some of our family in Gambia have the chin, and on the side of the eyes, and a stripe in the fore-head, and some friends of the family have this one for the mouth. It is stunning.

In my husbands small village far in the bush, they stopped the mouth-tattoo after a woman died not long after getting the tattoo. They don`t know if it was because of infection or not, but they did not wish to take the chance anymore. You still see many women with it, though, but most of them are over 35-40 years old. I do wish they would keep these beauty-traditions, that goes for tribal-marks as well, but I do feel like many of the cultures should let the kids choose theirself at a certain age..

And about the voodoo-thing..even in Senegal and Gambia they have juju that involves sacrificing of people. It is rarely used, or talked about out loud, but it still happens. People "disappear" in the bush, or get kidnapped. But, as I have heard, it is a very, very low percentage on that one.
They mainly use juju for protection, and the marabout is often known for looking in the future and past, and as a guide and a man to go to for advice.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 09, 2013
JallowBah:

..in the bush, you mean?
Or, inside the mouth?

Never seen a white man tattoo things inside the mouth? I have seen many..
Lol @... in the bush,you mean? I think location connotes a particular place or position. And, it is synonymous with part,spot,etc.

The sight is not good-looking.I will not allow my GF to go for such.

Must it be judged on white-man's acceptance or practice?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jan 09, 2013
JallowBah:

Yes, it does leave a mark for some, it depends on the mix you use, and how long time it takes for you to finish the mouth. Some use strong henna, which is supposed to go away but sometimes don`t, for tattooing.

It looks absolutely beautiful.
Some of our family in Gambia have the chin, and on the side of the eyes, and a stripe in the fore-head, and some friends of the family have this one for the mouth. It is stunning.

In my husbands small village far in the bush, they stopped the mouth-tattoo after a woman died not long after getting the tattoo. They don`t know if it was because of infection or not, but they did not wish to take the chance anymore. You still see many women with it, though, but most of them are over 35-40 years old. I do wish they would keep these beauty-traditions, that goes for tribal-marks as well, but I do feel like many of the cultures should let the kids choose theirself at a certain age..

And about the voodoo-thing..even in Senegal and Gambia they have juju that involves sacrificing of people. It is rarely used, or talked about out loud, but it still happens. People "disappear" in the bush, or get kidnapped. But, as I have heard, it is a very, very low percentage on that one.
They mainly use juju for protection, and the marabout is often known for looking in the future and past, and as a guide and a man to go to for advice.
Then, you must have to look for a superstar who will put it on first for it to go global and be seen as something not primitive. As for me, I think it is still a barbaric practice to have your gum and inside mouth tattooed in such a horrible way.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 12:29am On Jan 10, 2013
all4naija: Lol @... in the bush,you mean? I think location connotes a particular place or position. And, it is synonymous with part,spot,etc.

The sight is not good-looking.I will not allow my GF to go for such.

Must it be judged on white-man's acceptance or practice?

Of course not. But the comment was made as if the inside of the mouth was any more bad than anywhere else on the body; as if it made it worse, which it doesn`t.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 12:30am On Jan 10, 2013
all4naija: Then, you must have to look for a superstar who will put it on first for it to go global and be seen as something not primitive. As for me, I think it is still a barbaric practice to have your gum and inside mouth tattooed in such a horrible way.

I see that you mean that, but WHY is it barbaric? What is it that makes it so barbaric for you?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 12:35am On Jan 10, 2013
^i do not think it is barbaric if it is the person's choice to do it.

@jallowbah, I don't know what marks you mean but I've never seen anyone with marks outside the tattooed area unless if that too was tattooed. If it's henna then that will stain but will come off after a while. It's not permanent.

Regarding the body parts rituals, it is done by outsiders in Gambia. Usually nigerians, people from casamance and I think people from niger or something. I remembered as a kid being warned about the jalang fyelers around the harmattan season(I think). You wrote exactly what I wrote regarding the common practice of 'voodoo'(which is not the right name to call it because they do not practice the things associated with it). The cowrie throwers which are the most common form of spiritualism in Gambia are called curung fyelers which is different to the jalang fyelers(the juju people aka ritualists)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mr & Miss Nigeria International 2017 Contestants Make First Appearance (photos) / Nigerian Fitness Trainer Shows Off His Sexy Transformation / Erico Anthony & Silver Onyinyechi Ezenezi Win Mr And Miss Nigeria International

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.