Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,907 members, 7,799,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. (13099 Views)

Remember This Vehicles Used Mostly By Police And Robbers Back Then. / What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? / How To Deal With Bad Mechanics? Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 07, 2013
You're late for that meeting. Is it okay to speed up a little? Let's see... nope. Now you're on the side of the highway, waiting for the cop to come down on you with questions about your license and registration. What should you do? How does someone deal with this?

1 Pull over immediately. Set your hazard lights on, turn off the radio, and then cut the engine. Roll down the window, and make sure both your hands and your passengers hands are visible.

2. Be sure to address the cop as"officer ." This shows respect.

3. Always tell the truth . Never claim you didn't do it (if you did), but remember that you have the right to remain silent.

4. Don't argue with the officer . Giving any reason for the officer to take interest in your case may actually encourage him to appear in court in offense (many defendants succeed in court because the witness officer is not present).

5. Don't admit anything. Often police ask if you know why you were stopped. Contrary to popular opinion, a really great reason for the violation does not help. Anything you say can be used against you as an admittance of guilt.

6. Contact a lawyer . If you fail any test and are charged, just remain silent and call a lawyer.

Tips

Be willing to cooperate. If you prove stubborn, the officer may find a reason to arrest you on the spot.

Keep your license and registration where you will know to find it. In the glove compartment or under the seat, as long as it doesn't take too long to retrieve it.

Be Forgettable. If you make a scene, the officer will likely document the incident in more detail that he would have otherwise. If you are planning on fighting the citation, you want the officer to remember as little about the stop as possible.

A policeman is only doing their job. If you're cooperative they're more then likely cut you a break.

Warnings
:
Running away or attacking the police officer never helps. It will ALWAYS make your load heavier, in legalized ways.

5 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Skywalker5(m): 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2013
is this for people who are in Nigeria?

20 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Areaboy2(m): 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2013
Enangson:
3. Always tell the truth . Never claim you didn't do it (if you did), but remember that you have the right to remain silent.

LMAO!!! in Nigeria? grin grin grin

police never beat you before grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Troll: 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2013
Seriously!? All These For Naija Police Or U.K Police? undecided

...Anyways, 3rd To Comment (Glory Be To God). Slowly But Surely I'll Get There. tongue

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Slyr0x: 1:45pm On Jan 07, 2013
THIS WON'T WORK IN NIGERIA!
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 07, 2013
Enangson: You're late for that meeting. Is it okay to speed up a little? Let's see... nope. Now you're on the side of the highway, waiting for the cop to come down on you with questions about your license and registration. What should you do? How does someone deal with this?

1 Pull over immediately. Set your hazard lights on, turn off the radio, and then cut the engine. Roll down the window, and make sure both your hands and your passengers hands are visible.

4. Don't argue with the officer . Giving any reason for the officer to take interest in your case may actually encourage him to appear in court in offense (many defendants succeed in court because the witness officer is not present).

5. Don't admit anything. Often police ask if you know why you were stopped. Contrary to popular opinion, a really great reason for the violation does not help. Anything you say can be used against you as an admittance of guilt.

6. Contact a lawyer . If you fail any test and are charged, just remain silent and call a lawyer.

Tips

Be willing to cooperate. If you prove stubborn, the officer may find a reason to arrest you on the spot.

Keep your license and registration where you will know to find it. In the glove compartment or under the seat, as long as it doesn't take too long to retrieve it.

Be Forgettable. If you make a scene, the officer will likely document the incident in more detail that he would have otherwise. If you are planning on fighting the citation, you want the officer to remember as little about the stop as possible.

A policeman is only doing their job. If you're cooperative they're more then likely cut you a break.

Warnings
:
Running away or attacking the police officer never helps. It will ALWAYS make your load heavier, in legalized ways.

why is this bs which if for western nations on the front page?

1) make sure you have all your papers
2)make sure you have the phone no of a high ranking soldier/police official
3)make sure you have something for the boys

16 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by andyzoga: 1:47pm On Jan 07, 2013
This is definitely not for Naija pple. ;DThis is definitely not for Naija pple.
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Phrankin(m): 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2013
I Want to use this opportunity to narrate what happened in a bus i was traveling in one day. The driver has this ID card (royal rangers ID card- some sort of boys scout- so whenever he gets to a Road safety check point, this sort of conversation ensues:
Road Safety: Hey, Stop there.
Driver: Espiri De corp.
Road safety: Which force
Driver Police
Road safety let me see your identification
Driver [Flips his Royal rangers ID card open and close so fast that the road safety officer can barely read what is written on it]
Road safety: Sure sir, carry go! shocked shocked shocked

but seriously, don't try this with the police. Whenever he gets to a police checkpoint he just chats and joke with them. He never attempts to bring out his ID. It took me some time to figure out what this driver is up to.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Sitex(m): 1:52pm On Jan 07, 2013
Just approach the checkpoint at breakneck speed.if there's a barrier then grind to a sudden halt n then tell the police man that some heavily armd boko boys are on a hot chase
roadblock go close immediately
#you can then dance alingo to work

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by caesaraba(m): 1:52pm On Jan 07, 2013
Now you can see how valuable our Nigerian currency is! With just 20 naira all these long procedure would be replaced by a simple 'handshake.'

Btw, thank God say naija police no dy chase drivers for over-speeding; na bullets dem for use dy tell drivers say "slow down."

11 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2013
The only language Nigeria police understand is #20.
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by lekkie073(m): 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2013
police no dey even stop cars again for road. Na okadamen be their paddies now grin
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by stagger: 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2013
All this one na story. E no dey happen for Naija!
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Denn(m): 2:15pm On Jan 07, 2013
[size=15pt]NOT FOR SALE TO PERSONS driving in nigeria[/size]
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Phrankin(m): 2:15pm On Jan 07, 2013
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by ifyalways(f): 2:23pm On Jan 07, 2013
Just give the #20 and go your merry way.

No time for tok tok.
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by 80million1: 2:25pm On Jan 07, 2013
*speechless*

the answer is 'Muri kan' aka 20 bucks!
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Okijajuju1(m): 2:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
..[b]How to deal with being stopped by the Police..

1a. When you approach a checkpoint, roll down your windows, slow down to 5km/h, dont stop but continue to roll by the officer whislt shouting Officer na your guy o!!'. Should the officer continue to shout stop, keep rolling on until he lifts his gun up, then you stop.

1b. When approaching a checkpoint, roll up a 50Naira bill in your left palm and give the Officer a handshake whilst exchanging the money and shouting 'All correct officer' as you roll by. Should the officer still insist on stopping you after the exchange, be sure to collect your 50 Naira back before talking with (if you are sure of your papers).

2. When pulled over to the side of the road, be friendly and speak only pidgin english as big grammer is a sign of a prey.

3. When asked for your papers, be bold in your presentation. Any hesitation will make the officer to suspect that something is wrong or incomplete in your papers and he will scrutinize them very well. (this is for those driving without papers.) I have come to realize that most of the police officers on our highways dont even read those documents we give them.

4. If you are stopped at night, please always put on your inner lights before approaching the checkpoint. Also dim your headlights if you were driving with full beam on.

5. If you are not sure about your rights as a Nigerian driver, please do not argue rights with the police. Settle and go.

6. For those of you driving new cars that are less than 10 years old, chances are, you will have the required papers that the law expects you to carry. Please note the following;

a. Road worthiness: This document is not needed for car under 10 years of age from the current year.

b. Import Duty: This document is not one of the documents required by law for a registered vehicle to have.

When asked of these papers, politely inform them in a bold but non arrogant tone that your vehicle is XYZ years old and that the law of Nigeria (according to section B, paragraph 2 of the 2002 cnstitution states that LJHDOUG WDh ljhcfdoaugf d) .. This is absolute bullshit, however, the Police are afraid of lawyers and try as much as they can to avoid joining issues with lawyers.

7. Always have a stach of 100 and 200 hundred Naira nearby to settle with the officer.

8. If shiit gets too hot and you find yourself in their station, please do not write any statement until you get a lawyer, take note of the name and police number of the officers involved (as they tend to always get missing later and no one ever seems to know their names at the station) and remain calm.

9. NEVER, EVER RUN A CHECKPOINT!!!!!! NEVER!

P.S Never allow the Police take your papers away from your eyes reach...[/b]

23 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by forkadict(m): 2:54pm On Jan 07, 2013
Enangson: You're late for that meeting. Is it okay to speed up a little? Let's see... nope. Now you're on the side of the highway, waiting for the cop to come down on you with questions about your license and registration. What should you do? How does someone deal with this?

Tips

Warnings
:

As many other posters have said, this DOES NOT APPLY IN NAIJA.

For how to handle police in naija, this is the procedure:
1. Always ensure that all your vehicle particulars are complete and up to date. This is because if a single particular isnt up to date, na trouble and being the opportunists that those maggots(police) are, they will exploit that opportunity to the max. So the rule here is do not give them the opening. Vehicle particulars include valid vehicle license, ECMR, Road worthiness certificate, Insurance cover (either comprehensive package or third party at the minimum,and a valid drivers license.
2. Also have a fire extinguisher and Caution symbol.

In the event that you do not have any of these afore mentioned items and the policeman detects, then remain calm and pretend that you are noticing that for the first time. And please note, even if you are already running late for an appointment with Jonathan, do not portray such by your actions. Never let them detect you are in a hurry. Let substantial time elapse (min of 30 mins) before you approach them with your bribe. I recommend you start with N200 and then you might increase if you feel the need to cos those guys dey craze gaan sometimes.

If you are the outgoing or jovial type, your inter personal skills will come in handy in situations like these but for me, I will not attempt to engage the murrraforkers in any humour of any sort. I feel it is assss licking in its purest form. But whatever the case, try as much as you can to avoid them taking your vehicle to their station. This was a mistake i made with some bas.tard OFFICIALS OF MUSHIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT LAST XMAS. that is story for another day.

Goodluck motorists. Fork safely. Sorry drive safely.
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by onyxo76(m): 2:56pm On Jan 07, 2013
this will surely not work in nigeria, the police may have even shot you before realizing that it was a mistake...My tips:[b]JUST AVOID THEM OR PRAY YOU DON'T GET INTO ENCOUNTER WITH THEM.[/b][color=#006600][/color]
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by forkadict(m): 2:56pm On Jan 07, 2013
@ Okija,
Nice one, I guess we were typing about the same time and yours made it to the thread first. I forgot to add NEVER RUN A CHECKPOINT. THE CONSEQUENCE MAY BE DEATH.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by GentleNaaz(m): 2:56pm On Jan 07, 2013
HOW 2 DEAL WT NAIJA POLICE
1. If try 2 stop u, increase ur speed; vum ka nma karia statemnt
2. If he tries 2 block u, keep moving wt speed he must run 4 hs life wn he sees u r serious
3. If u rech dia point, just bring out #50 witout dm askn
4. If dy catch u, cornner d main man one side n roger hm 1k. Storry wl chng immediately
ds r tried, testd n trustd methods

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by GentleNaaz(m): 3:02pm On Jan 07, 2013
ifyalways: Just give the #20 and go your merry way.

No time for tok tok.
girl is no mor #20. D price of garri hs increased; police knw dat 1. For ur info its nw #50
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by imeller: 3:10pm On Jan 07, 2013
Gentle Naaz: HOW 2 DEAL WT NAIJA POLICE
1. If try 2 stop u, increase ur speed; vum ka nma karia statemnt
2. If he tries 2 block u, keep moving wt speed he must run 4 hs life wn he sees u r serious
3. If u rech dia point, just bring out #50 witout dm askn
4. If dy catch u, cornner d main man one side n roger hm 1k. Storry wl chng immediately
ds r tried, testd n trustd methods

Rule number 1 should only be tried if you are a commercial driver- even at that you are not safe, with the level of insecurity in the country a Police Officer may/likely shoot if you try this tactics

Rule number 2 Same as above

Others are tested and trusted...KUDOS
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Ponel: 3:14pm On Jan 07, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]

No time for tok tok.

Its seems like it has been a while since you where stopped by the police. They no longer collect N20 oooo, they have upgraded its now N50.
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by imeller: 3:15pm On Jan 07, 2013
Carry a Mean German Shephard on your front seat .. lol
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Ponel: 3:16pm On Jan 07, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]

No time for tok tok.

Its seems like it has been a while since you were stopped by the police. They no longer collect N20 oooo, they have upgraded its now N50.
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 07, 2013
In Naija i just pull over and shut my mouth, making sure to wind down my window before I engage my hand brake. My papers are complete; I've done nothing wrong, i just stay quiet and let them bring it to me. That way the balance of powers stays in my court. They end up greeting first and seeing my confidence it's either they cajole you to "roger them" or scan through your papers and let you go. Don't be fooled a majority of people in Naija carry out their jobs not because they're content and genuinely just want to make the world a better place, but because they're looking at whatever personal gains they can get outta it. Nigeria stinks; you gotta learn to survive it!

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by omiobo: 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2013
gringringringrin right tips for wrong people. In Nija where we dey you have to form agbero for police to prove innocent.
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by dejijohns(m): 3:44pm On Jan 07, 2013

Tips

Warnings
:
All dix gist na season film. All U'af 2do is as simple as dix.... Kip smal change whr U can easily get it, den hand it ova 2im...
Re: How To Deal With Being Stopped By Police. by aieromon(m): 3:45pm On Jan 07, 2013
1. Always present photocopies of documents. This includes your drivers licence.

2. Try and gauge the accent of the officer and use it to your advantage. You can also look for the name tag on his/her uniform. The tribal card comes in handy 95% of the time.

3. Speak pidgin fluently as it makes them less intimidated by you.

4. Request to see a superior officer. He is always willing to listen to your Queens English and has the power to tell his boys to free you with a mild settlement.

5. Always bargain to the teeth even if your car is loaded with cash. They don't like time wasters and will collect whatever you give them at the end.

6. Never ever follow them to the police station. If you do,OYO is your case.

P.S: This applies if your documents/car accessories are not up to date or you violate traffic regulations. If it is a routine stop-and-search,kindly remain calm. The worst they can do is ask for a bottle of Coke or TGIF money.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's Your Favourite Car Name/s? / / 5 Ways Your Car Tyres Will Help You Save On Petrol During This Recession.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.