Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her (62729 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by iyaniwurablog(m): 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2013
Yes, you know she is one of Nigeria’s best writers and she has won a lot of prizes. But do you also know that:

1-She briefly studied medicine and pharmacy at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka before leaving to study communications (Eastern Connecticut State University) and creative writing from Johns Hopkins University.

2-She was born on the 15th September, 1977. That makes her 35 years old even though she looks every bit 25! But she doesn’t find that funny all the time:“I know, I look about 18. Actually, it can be a bit irritating. People don’t always take you seriously.” But I guess the world is taking her really serious now.

3-Her dad is Nigeria’s first professor of statistics while her mum is a university registrar, the first female in the institution (UNN). Now, you can see the genes at work. Yelz, her sister is a medical doctor.

4-She was born in Enugu State, the coal state of Nigeria.

5-Her latest book is titled ‘The Thing Around Your Neck’. Her other ones include the Purple Hibiscus and yes, you gerrit, Half of a Yellow Sun.

6-Tah! Don’t go there at all! She is happily married. Even though she once described marriage as a ‘dangerous’ institution for women. Her husband is a doctor based in Maryland, United States. She describes him as a ‘Nigerian, American and British’(see her pix with husband here: http://iyaniwura.com/16-things-you-didnt-know-about-chimamanda-adichie/). She shuttles between the US and Nigeria. How sweet!And obviously, she doesn’t want much noise made about that. But trust Iyaniwura to tell you a bit about her husband. He is Dr. Ivara Alistair Esege, MD of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland. He attended the University of Nigeria (UNN), Nsukka.

7-She is the fifth of six children and grew up in a house that was once used by Nigeria’s master writer and one of Africa’s very best writers, Chinua Achebe. I think I need to rent a room in that house too o!

8-Her middle name is Ngozi. It means ‘blessing’. As for Chimamanda, it means ‘My God is unfailing’ or ‘My God never fails me’.

9-She read Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart at the age of 10. Okay, what was I doing at the age of 10 o? Rolling tyres all over the street! By seven, she was already writing. Now, you don’t want to know what I was doing at that age.

10-She grew up reading Enid Blyton, okay, we share that trait…lol!

11-Her paternal grandfather died in a refugee camp during the Nigerian Civil War of 1967-1970. These experiences would later influence her writing style. Her book, Half of a Yellow Sun actually took its name from the Biafran flag.

12-She says she is always thinking about death, and for her, love and death come hand in hand.

13-She also said: “This may sound slightly mythical, but I sometimes feel as if my writing is something bigger than I am.”

14-Her dad actually dropped out of school when his family could no longer pay his school fees. He did some work as a sanitary inspector and was later able to sponsor himself for private Cambridge exams which he passed.

15- She won the MacArthur Genius Grant of $500,000, that’s cool half a million!

16-She’s a Catholic.

Thank you for your time.

http://iyaniwura.com/16-things-you-didnt-know-about-chimamanda-adichie/

54 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by johnwizey: 6:20pm On Jan 07, 2013
lovely....both numba 7 nd 8 applies to me too

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by iyaniwurablog(m): 6:31pm On Jan 07, 2013
That's quite exciting to know smiley
johnwizey: lovely....both numba 7 nd 8 applies to me too

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by enyice(m): 6:36pm On Jan 07, 2013
She has always been inspiring....

KUDOS!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jan 07, 2013
I love her books*Wish i can write*
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by toboy: 7:46pm On Jan 07, 2013
johnwizey: lovely....both numba 7 nd 8 applies to me too
yes that was for a joke!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Chinwem(f): 8:17pm On Jan 07, 2013
Wow! Amazing! This is so cool

She's really blessed. I love her books and I also grew up reading Enid Blyton as well................*nostalgia setting in*

I always wondered about the 'Amanda' part of her name................thanks for clarifying

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Felixjude(m): 9:53pm On Jan 07, 2013
**just wonderful**if u knw wat i mean
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 07, 2013
Chinwem:
Wow! Amazing!
I always wondered about the 'Amanda' part of her name................thanks for clarifying
Me too I kept askinG if its an igbo name until someone explained it.
@op wow I never knew she was married o....
Looking forward to see her win the noble laureate in literature.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:07am On Jan 08, 2013
Don't forget to add that she endorses chinua achebes there was a country

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by ignis: 6:08am On Jan 08, 2013
What a genius?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by geekinthelead: 6:13am On Jan 08, 2013
Boring.. undecided
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by koruji(m): 6:13am On Jan 08, 2013
Extremely talented woman, but genes are only a small part of it.
Even your post shows that she was immersed in an environment that eventually led to her life-pursuit from childhood.
Environment, up-bringing, health, sound education are the key.

3-Her dad is Nigeria’s first professor of statistics while her mum is a university registrar, the first female in the institution (UNN). Now, you can see the genes at work. Yelz, her sister is a medical doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by toprealman: 6:14am On Jan 08, 2013
Studied medicine and pharmacy...UNN. OP na real wa to you oh!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:15am On Jan 08, 2013
oyb: Don't forget to add that she endorses chinua achebes there was a country
Wow, tell us more.. Does she endorse always pad too? Indomie? Close up?

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by 1k001(m): 6:19am On Jan 08, 2013
Having met and conversed with her I have to say she is quite a remarkable lady. She impresses me no end!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by swit16(f): 6:20am On Jan 08, 2013
She's a great writer. I luv her books
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:25am On Jan 08, 2013
She's beautiful but her books are damned too watery, shallow and unreadable.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by wheesin(m): 6:25am On Jan 08, 2013
i knew all things about her but i never knew she was a Woman..i tot she was a man. She has inspired me greatly especially with her book 'purple hibiscus' which i read 5 times al over..BUT WAIT,Y DOS HER BOOK ALWAYS HAVE MYSTICAL NAMES ? *crying*
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Natudu: 6:34am On Jan 08, 2013
Ok, what you don't know about me is that i have read all three of her works! Now, ain't that cool.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by InvertedHammer: 6:38am On Jan 08, 2013
Did she study medicine or pharmacy or both? Just curious. I believe they are different disciplines.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:42am On Jan 08, 2013
shocked She haf marry? shocked
Make I go yab person now...he has been aspiring to marry her...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Series22(m): 6:42am On Jan 08, 2013
toprealman: Studied medicine and pharmacy? OP na real wa to you oh!
my guy, i tire o.. Na dat part i dey try 2 undastand. Abi UNN d study medicine & pharmcy as one course?
Even maths & statistics don seperate since. D gal's father even read just statistic.
@op, medicine and pharmacy r 2 different tinz. Stop insulting our collective sensibilities

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Planner(m): 6:43am On Jan 08, 2013
I believe she is single and searching.Anyone with her contacts.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:48am On Jan 08, 2013
toprealman: Studied medicine and pharmacy? OP na real wa to you oh!

Yes she did.she started with medicine with the 2001 class but decided to switch to pharmacy after the first year.People thought she was crazy for not joining her mates at Enugu campus the following yr,she did very well in all results.she studied pharmacy briefly but just like medicine decided it wasnt her destiny.

So the story above is true.

13 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 08, 2013
InvertedHammer:

Did she study medicine or pharmacy or both? Just curious. I believe they are different disciplines.

She started with medicine and surgery..1994/95...at UNN..decided to switch to pharmacy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by NiceHans: 6:59am On Jan 08, 2013
Really talented writer, with allure and command in her writing. she's also gifted i must say
''She was born on 15th sept'' thats one 1 share with her, i always knew it, those born in september, are not just gifted, they are unique and intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by masterpiecer(m): 7:06am On Jan 08, 2013
geekinthelead: Boring.. undecided

Entertaain urself by dancing gangnam style. Mtceeeeewwww angry

10 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by kcclink: 7:07am On Jan 08, 2013
cute lady, she is my model. Can't stop admiring her. cool

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 7:09am On Jan 08, 2013
I dislike writing and aint interested in writers... smiley
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Clemzy16(m): 7:10am On Jan 08, 2013
Itz funny, coz ah ws once a writer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) / Divided Emotions / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.