Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt (4962 Views)

Jonathan Ordered Me To Withdraw $2bn From ECA To Pay Fuel Subsidy – Okonjo-iweal / Senate Summons Okonjo-iweala, Allison-madueke, NNPC Over Fuel Scarcity / FG Will Pay Fuel Subsidy For 40 Days – Alison Madueke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by ballabriggs: 11:43pm On Jan 07, 2013
Nigeria state oil firm borrows $1.5 bln to pay fuel debt -source shocked shocked shocked

LAGOS/GENEVA | Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:42pm GMT
Jan 7 (Reuters) - Nigerian state oil firm NNPC has obtained a $1.5 billion syndicated loan to help it pay debts to international fuel traders, a senior banking source with knowledge of the deal said on Monday.

The deal was struck at the end of last year and is seen as crucial to easing the burden on big commodity traders facing the prospect of painful multi-million dollar write-offs, oil trading sources told Reuters.

Had Nigeria defaulted on these loans it could have restricted the future borrowing capacity of Africa's second largest economy and would have worried credit agencies like Fitch and Standard and Poors, which recently upgraded Nigeria.

The loan, provided by several Nigerian and international banks and brokered by Standard Chartered, will be paid back over five and half years. The NNPC has put up 15,000 barrels per day of its oil production as collateral, the banking source said.

Standard Chartered and the NNPC declined requests for official comment.

The top African oil producer's NNPC owes major commodity trading houses, including Glencore and Mercuria, around $3.5 billion in unpaid fuel supply bills, according to a report last year commissioned by the Nigerian oil ministry.

OPEC member Nigeria is among the world's top 10 crude oil exporters but has insufficient refining capacity to meet its domestic fuel needs and is heavily reliant on imports, on which it pays costly subsidies to keep a lid on retail petrol prices.

President Goodluck Jonathan attempted to end fuel subsidies in Nigeria a year ago but backed down after it sparked wide-spread protests against higher fuel costs.

Decades of mismanagement and corruption have left NNPC heavily indebted, several audits have shown.

A list of creditors published in an oil report earlier this year showed there were 35 firms still owed for fuel.

Trading companies have been battling for months to recoup the money and some have since stopped supplying Nigeria with fuels. But they have mostly remained in the west African country partly because of huge opportunities in the upstream sector.

The list showed that Glencore was owed $138 million, Vitol was owed $198 million and Trafigura was owed $53 million.

In reality, debts for some individual trading companies are widely thought to be much higher due to exposure via subsidiaries and partner firms.

For example, Bermuda corporate registration documents showed that Calson, owed $115.11 million by NNPC, was using Vitol's Geneva address. Similarly, Napoil, owed $75.6 million, is a partner of Trafigura, its website showed. (Additional reporting and writing by Joe Brock; editing by Tim Cocks and James Jukwey)

Source
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by kunlekunle: 2:53am On Jan 08, 2013
she missed her drugs

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by takedat(m): 5:57am On Jan 08, 2013
We have a failed ruling class which has demonstrated its competence, only in treasury looting, mismanagement and burgeoning debt.

3 Likes

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Kessyy2k4(m): 6:43am On Jan 08, 2013
Wu is madueke? Is it a name of a dog
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by GARRIx7(m): 9:42am On Jan 08, 2013
What about the N161 billion that GEJ collected some time last year. What was it meant for.....

www.thenationonlineng.net/new/editorial/subsidy-blackmail/

Request for N161.6bn for subsidy supplementary budget is frivolous  PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, through a memo read to both Houses of the National Assembly is requesting for N161.6 billion naira ($1 billion) supplementary budget to defray fuel subsidy debts purportedly owed petroleum products importers for year ending 2012. This extra-budgetary request takes total spending on fuel subsidy this year to over 1 trillion naira, about a fifth of the total federal budget. The 2012 budget reportedly set aside N888.1 billion for fuel subsidy, which the government claimed it had nearly exhausted, using that as basis for the latest demand for extra N161.6 billion.

2 Likes

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by CrazyMan(m): 10:01am On Jan 08, 2013
Nigeria is a Joke! angry

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by nairalady(f): 11:32am On Jan 08, 2013
CrazyMan: Nigeria is a Joke! angry
a big joke my brother lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by ceejay80s(m): 11:33am On Jan 08, 2013
CrazyMan: Nigeria is a Joke! angry
did u say joke? Nigeria is a cartoon

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by ypzilanti: 11:37am On Jan 08, 2013
Fresh air! shocked
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by BANGASOUP1: 11:37am On Jan 08, 2013
who cares,and so na today yansh da back,abeg make una give me sugar make i tk drink my garri jor*faints*
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 08, 2013
someone please call 911

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Nobody: 11:39am On Jan 08, 2013
ballabriggs:

Source

And i wasn't informed ? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Dammmmn!you NNPC!
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by lookmangiw(m): 11:40am On Jan 08, 2013
and my people just watching while this country is being mortgage away. what a pity.

2 Likes

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 08, 2013
1.5 billion dollars is not too far from the N161 billion appropriated for fuel subsidy last month. It appears that the government couldn't pay for the subsidy and is now seeking to borrow the money, thereby plunging us into further debt.

What a country.

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by dabrake(m): 11:51am On Jan 08, 2013
Sincere 9jerian, come and defend your boss. You are only here to tackle potential 2015 aso villa candidates.

2 Likes

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by ojinku(m): 11:53am On Jan 08, 2013
To be frank, the money alone is enough to build a new refinery and also maintain the existing ones.Even after all these monies were spent we are still having shortage of petroleum products across the country. Come to think of it, when they say someone borrows, it then means that the person is broke. All the barrels of Oil thAT go out of this nation daily where is the monies going to? If someone like me can't borrow why should a whole NNPC borrow? I believe that one day i will still lend some monies to NNPC since they have turned to 'borrow borrow'. Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!, SHAME.

2 Likes

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Nobody: 11:54am On Jan 08, 2013
dabrake: Sincere 9jerian, come and defend your boss. You are only here to tackle potential 2015 aso villa candidates.

We will not! until he gives us our own share of the 2 billion dollars ! Nonsense johnney walker! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Nobody: 11:54am On Jan 08, 2013
meanwhile, gej's army of monkeys spam nairaland attacking gej's betters

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
Spendthrifts ....

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by antontech(m): 12:02pm On Jan 08, 2013
See money ehh,God help us in this country.

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by rolchi(m): 12:04pm On Jan 08, 2013
Nigeria will continue to bleed until we do away with Fuel Subsidy! This time around, it has started with the Senate President mooting the idea!

2 Likes

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by frankcimc(m): 12:12pm On Jan 08, 2013
Nigeria is a Joke!
I am loving the Joke!
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by yertyr(m): 12:13pm On Jan 08, 2013
Nigerians can neva b pleased... Subsidy was removed to alleviate this, una come protest... Now d inevitable happens and every1 is callin Gej... This trend has bn there even b4 d man climbed office..

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 08, 2013
rolchi: Nigeria will continue to bleed until we do away with Fuel Subsidy! This time around, it has started with the Senate President mooting the idea!
Nigeria will continue to bleed until there is secesion. that all sides can start healing seperately.

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by omenka(m): 12:21pm On Jan 08, 2013
I've sed it time and again, until those rodents are driven out of that cheese factory,,,,, angry

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by aglomar: 12:23pm On Jan 08, 2013
Nonsense! They have bled the country dry and are now taking loans to cover their tracks. I hope Nigerian children will not someday be taken by foreign governments as ransom for debts.

3 Likes

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Jabioro: 12:32pm On Jan 08, 2013
Surely,verily,verily l told you that the nation called Nigeria shall bleed to death.

1 Like

Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Joey82(m): 12:35pm On Jan 08, 2013
and where is sincere nigerian when u need him
may be he's still loading his bullets ready to launch attacks.
me thinks Nigeria has been mortgaged for at least the next 100years.
the debt profile is alarming, the cost of servicing, the interests?
God save us.
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by kiyosaki1(m): 12:36pm On Jan 08, 2013
Cool na oil no dey dry u neva hear say lagos go soon join oil producing state so koole temper,first of all i dey joke 2x
aglomar: Nonsense! They have bled the country dry and are now taking loans to cover their tracks. I hope Nigerian children will not someday be taken by foreign governments as ransom for debts.
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by manyr4luv: 12:38pm On Jan 08, 2013
Mcdugull:

And i wasn't informed ? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Dammmmn!you NNPC!

LOLIPOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by shegsrules(m): 12:38pm On Jan 08, 2013
does it make sense atall borrowing 2 pay debt,using debt to clear debt. At d end of d day even if u steal d whole moni na ur toilet go hear am,
Re: Madueke, NNPC Borrow $2 Billion To Pay Fuel Debt by Gbenge77(m): 12:42pm On Jan 08, 2013
Amazing

(1) (2) (Reply)

History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu / My Visit To South East Nigeria / Nigeria Economic Challenges, Jonathan/ngozi Would Have Done Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.