Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,481 members, 7,781,437 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:22 PM

55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles (156311 Views)

55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles / Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria / Nigerian Hairstyles In Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Iyaniwura123: 10:28am On Jan 08, 2013
Among the Yorubas of southwestern Nigeria, the head (called ori) is given a very prominent position and particularly in the females, the hair is considered to be the crown of a woman’s beauty. Over the years, the culture-rich Yorubas have come up with various beautiful and dazzling hairstyles.

I will post the rest later in the day if I am chanced but if you want to see all the 55 different Yoruba hairstyles, you can view them here, complete with pictures:

http://iyaniwura.com/55-different-yoruba-hairstyles/

Here are some:

These hairstyles are not just for beautification. They also serve other purposes and these can be religious, as a sign of identification, age, political power, ceremony, occupation or even to reflect the mood of the lady. It can also signify the marital status of a woman. Married women in Yorubaland in those days adopt hairstyles in which the hair flows from the front down to the nape of the neck, or it can emerge from both sides and culminate at the top of the head. Some other married women adopt the one in which the hair comes from the forehead and from the back and then meet up at the center of the head. As for the single ladies (all the single ladies….lol! You remember that song, right…lol), they use styles in which their hair flows from the right ear to the left. Before we continue, we need to make some distinction among the various techniques used:

IRUN KIKO: Hair knotting with thread (threading), usually black in color.
IRUN DIDI: Normal hair plaiting, without thread.
IRUN BIBA: Braiding.

You get that? Ok, let’s roll! Remember your primary and secondary school days when your headmistress (or headgirl) will announce that ‘the hairstyle for next week is…’. Well, I can see you smiling and saying koroba, shuku or even Concorde. Today, Iyaniwura has travelled extensively and we bring to you some of the most fascinating hairstyles of Yoruba women. Each hairstyle has its unique message and are very very beautiful! Enjoy:

1-SHUKU (also called Suku, means basket): This is quite simple and it is one of the most popular in Nigeria. It is a form of braiding in which the hair runs from the forehead to the nape of the neck or forms a rump on top of the head. When shuku is blended with koroba, it is called orishabumni. At a time, it was only the wives of kings that could make shuku but that change over time and anyone can now adorn the style.

2-KOROBA (Bucket or pail): The braidings radiate from the center of the head to all parts, like an upturned bucket or container.

3-KOLESE (means ‘Legless’): In this knotting style, each knot originates from the front and runs to the back of the head, not too far from the neck. It is also called ‘all back’ or ‘corn rows’.

4-IPAKO ELEDE (means ‘occiput of a pig’ or ‘pig’s nape’): In ipako elede, the styling starts from the back but everything eventually ends infront. When scaling the braids, the non-linear contours of the head are followed. There is a main middle model that the Onidiri (hair stylist, weaver or hair dresser) follows by repeating the units in a an amazing form of fractal geometry. Ònsèsòó is the person on whose head the style is being made. And because the head is believed to be the seat of the soul, Ònsèsòó is forbodden to price the amount charged while the Onidiri is expected to shun food while working.

5-PANUMO (means ‘Keep Shut!’): Panumo starts from two different points, one from the forehead and one from the back. The two meet at the centre of the head leaving a little hole.

6-OJOKOPETI: (means ‘Rain is not beating the ears’): The styling technique of this is in such a way that it starts from one ear and then moves across to the other ear. I love that!

7. Moremi
8. Kojusoko (Face your husband)
9. Kehinsoko (Turn your back to your husband)

10. Onile Gogoro/Akaba/Aladile (Skyscraper)

Thanks for your time.
Iyaniwura.

13 Likes

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Ask4bigneyo(m): 11:08am On Jan 08, 2013
To the front page plzz
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Decapo: 12:52pm On Jan 08, 2013
Ask4bigneyo: To the front page plzz
. Whhhyy??
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by moneyhungry(m): 12:54pm On Jan 08, 2013
front page? wow!
am i 3rd? wow!
my year of suprises!

7 Likes

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 08, 2013
Yaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!! 3rd to comment cool
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 08, 2013
5th

2 Likes

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
The craze for brazilian hair has really killed Nigeria culture. smh

2 Likes

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by eduson33(m): 1:09pm On Jan 08, 2013
hmmm 7th

na wa oo

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Uchenna42(m): 1:09pm On Jan 08, 2013
Olee otu ihe a jiri gbaSam biko nu?......

4 Likes

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by ammyluv2002(f): 1:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
@ poster, Tot you said "55 diferent Yoruba hair styles" where are they now abi I need spectacle to read well? grin

2 Likes

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 08, 2013
The fourth hair style looks like a chicken cage.lolol
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Gialmine(f): 1:15pm On Jan 08, 2013
Some of this hairstylez ar quite cool...buh unfortunately, its is becoming an history with the likes of Remy, Brazilian, Melody 2 and what have u?
Metink this stylez might also b modernized into Ghana weaving...

1 Like

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by megareal: 1:16pm On Jan 08, 2013
ammyluv2002: @ poster, Tot you said "55 diferent Yoruba hair styles" where are they now abi I need spectacle to read well? grin
Click the link undecided
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by dridowu: 1:16pm On Jan 08, 2013
She loves dat kolese
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by anelka101(m): 1:17pm On Jan 08, 2013
i like that shukura, sorry shuku
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:25pm On Jan 08, 2013
Nice. More of threads like this is needed. African hairstyles are beautiful.
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Ournaija: 1:28pm On Jan 08, 2013
Akinmail: Yaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!! 3rd to comment cool

After Christmas you kids refuse to go back to school. undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by firestar(f): 1:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
Heh grin

Hairstyle for next week:

Patewo with base...
Sade Adu
Police Cap.
Brush All-back

1 Like

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by firestar(f): 1:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
Double post.
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by baby124: 1:35pm On Jan 08, 2013
You forgot irun didi. The one older women do. Its an inverted weaving. Love it when its done well and neatly on little girls. I still do shuku. Fit me die grin. With extensions sha. cheesy
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by sasview: 1:37pm On Jan 08, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Nice. More of threads like this is needed. African hairstyles are beautiful.
Kosi "culture" kan toju tia lo!!!
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by ochukoccna: 1:41pm On Jan 08, 2013
Thumbs up Iyaniwura
Seeing oyinbo man will never hype our culture or way of life
Yet some of the below hairstyles are quite cool,dont know why you left out the pictures
SMH at some comments
Obvious that too many of our people are still trapped in the slave ships

1 Like

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by mysticgal(f): 1:43pm On Jan 08, 2013
i love shuku,school tins on my mind.
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Teejayphillip(m): 1:49pm On Jan 08, 2013
Wow..... Wat a memory... My dad likes shuku on my mums head...

Wat a memory again.. Thumbs up 2 d OP
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Kaxmytex(m): 1:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
[size=28pt]nice one![/size]
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by OILOFGLADNESS: 2:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
Uchenna42: Olee otu ihe a jiri gbaSam biko nu?......

hahahahahahhaahahah
ogbasara kwara gi kne oma.
this was the hair our fore mothers was known with, natural, no relaxer and they were looking so pretty abd beautifull
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Ask4bigneyo(m): 2:01pm On Jan 08, 2013
Decapo: . Whhhyy??

zzzzzzzzzzz??
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Royalty1(m): 2:04pm On Jan 08, 2013
Lovely! These hair styles ROCK! wink

4 Likes

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by JideTheBlogger(m): 2:05pm On Jan 08, 2013
The 4th one no be small thing at all ooo
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 08, 2013

Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by annastacie: 2:24pm On Jan 08, 2013
i love allback becos it brings out my oblong face and make me beautiful
Re: 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles by south4sure(m): 2:25pm On Jan 08, 2013
No be small thing o.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings. / The "REAL" Hausa / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.