Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Why Do Parents Have Favorite Among Their Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents Have Favorite Among Their Children (657 Views)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do / Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Parents Have Favorite Among Their Children by SPIFF(m): 11:41am On Jan 08, 2013
I have come to notice that parents do have favorite among their children. Oftentimes, dad's choice may be different from mum's. Could it be that the child so much resemble the individuals or the way of life of the child. I remember in my family, I am my dad's favorite while my broth is mum's. Though we are more than two. The truth is that they may treat all equally and pretended or act not to be noticed but one way or the other the truth will be revealed. Now that I have two sons, I have a favorite too but it's challenging managing it. Plays with one more than the other. Although there is a popular believe that daughters get attached to their dad more and vice versa the sons to mums.

What's your take on this and how can someone overcome it as a parent. Tell us if you are any of your parents favorite and how you got to know.
Re: Why Do Parents Have Favorite Among Their Children by greatgod2012(f): 6:59pm On Jan 08, 2013
Yes, its natural, lets not deceive ourselves,we are all humans, but its very wrong for parents to let it be obvious among them, its not even right to let d favourite child know he is d favourite, he will surely abuse it,or tell others. This issue requires WISDOM,if for example, u have 2 kids,one behaves as expected and d other seems to be stubborn, there is no way u will not like d well-behaved child than d other, but a wise parent will not let it show,,its just something u know within u.
D effects of letting it show are:
1. Other siblings will hate d favourite one, and if care is not taken, it may tear d family apart,eventually.
2.d favourite child may start to misbehave, believing dt "afterall, im d favourite, they cant do anything to me"thereby leading to over-pampering and if care is not taken to untimely destructn.
3. It may affect d sense of reasoning and judgement of d parent,because he/she will want to judge in favour of d favourite.
If care is not taken, it may tear d siblings apart, thereby, leading to disunity and disharmony among them.
May God help us all.
Re: Why Do Parents Have Favorite Among Their Children by Mynd44: 7:14pm On Jan 08, 2013
I think it is unfair but what can we do? It happens and it is all around us. I won't agree with Greatgod that it is an human thing as even God himself has favorites among humans.

You cannot be totally unbiased against as long as more than one thing is involved
Re: Why Do Parents Have Favorite Among Their Children by Gambrosia: 7:19pm On Jan 08, 2013
Because every child is different.
Only a parent can tell you why.
My parents NEVER SHOWED such tendencies!
WE WERE ALL LOVABLE. cool

I love my darling kids EQUALLY. . . They are all darlings. . .good or bad! kiss

(1) (Reply)

7 Secrets To Raise A Happy Child / Mother, Son Bathed With Acid In Nnewi / UK Ex Cabinet Minister's 18 Year Old Son Tells Him - "I Hate You, So F*** Off"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.