Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,962 members, 7,803,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address (10518 Views)

Breaking News: Dr. Alex Otti Files Final Address At Abia Election Tribunal / Amosun Vs GNI, Ogun Tribunal To Give Final Verdicts, Gov Amosun On The Brink / As EFCC Goes After Daughter, Turai Yar’adua Runs To Obasanjo For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by LocalChamp: 3:54pm On Jan 08, 2013
Patience Jonathan, Turai Yar’Adua To Give Final Address On Disputed Abuja Land-PREMIUM TIMES

Posted: January 7, 2013 - 21:04

By Ini Ekott

After repeatedly failing to reach an amicable solution, a court will now rule on the disputed plot.

A sour dispute between first lady, Patience Jonathan, and her immediate predecessor, Turai Yar’Adua, over a prized plot of land in Abuja, turned out a full-fledge legal tussle lasting months after repeated attempts at settling out of court failed.

A ruling on the right to the contentious property, located at Abuja’s Central Business District, is now expected to follow final presentations to be made by both sides before the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, court handling the case, a lawyer to Mrs. Yar’Adua said.

The final addresses are to be laid on January 24, to set the stage for a judgement.

Attorney General, Mohammed Adoke, who was joined in the case, and has led unsuccessful out-of-court mediation efforts, has given testimonies through witnesses, PREMIUM TIMES was informed.

The two women have laid claims to the plot, first allocated to Mrs. Yar’Adua by the Federal Capital Territory authorities in February 2010, while she held office, and later reallocated to Mrs. Jonathan after she took office.

While Mrs. Yar’Adua obtained the plot for her pet project, Women and Youth Empowerment Foundation, WAYEF, Mrs. Jonathan got the allocation for her initiative, African First Ladies’ Peace Mission, AFLPM.

A lawyer to Mrs. Yar’Adua, Innocent Lagi, said repeated offers made to replace the plot were unacceptable due to size or location, and the matter has remained in court since.

“We did not accept any of the offers and the matter became a full-fledge court case,” Mr. Lagi said.

He said Mrs. Yar’Adua’s team is satisfied no activity was taking place on the disputed plot.

The scandal which broke mid 2012, gave a rare glimpse into the subtle feud between Mrs. Jonathan and her predecessor- a long running rift dating from the turbulent months of former President Umaru Yar’Adua’s death, and the transition of power to President Goodluck Jonathan.

Critics have also highlighted the controversial transfer of ownership titles in the case as characteristic of the abuse and the rot in land administration in Abuja.

The FCT minister who approved the transfer, Bala Mohammed, said the revocation was in public interest.

History of transfer

Mrs. Yar’Adua’s WAYEF sued the FCT minister, the ministry, and the Attorney General of the Federation on November 23, 2011, challenging the reassignment of the plot.

On March 5, 2012, Justice Peter Affen of the Abuja Court at Bwari granted an injunction restraining the minister or any other person from affecting the title or interest of WAYEF over the property pending the determination of the case.

In turn, Mrs. Jonathan approached the court, through the Federal Ministry of Justice, seeking a discharge of the order on the land, or at worst, a stay of execution.

A lawyer to Mrs. Jonathan, Ballah Ali, said in a court affidavit that the president’s wife reached out to Mrs. Yar’Adua and assured her of a replacement.

But matters soon degenerated after the first lady’s attention was subsequently drawn to the injunction obtained by her predecessor after she was made to believe that the matter had been resolved.

Mrs. Yar’Adua’s organisation has maintained its ownership of the land and its lawyers say WAYEF obtained the requisite approvals, including the statutory payment of N184 million to the Abuja Geographic Information System, AGIS, for the right of occupancy.

After preliminary court outings from both sides and the office of the Attorney General, an attempt at an out-of-court resolution was agreed at the counseling of the presiding judge, Mr. Affen.

But the talks broke down after first offers were made in July 2012, with Mrs. Yar’Adua rejecting both.

One offer was for a smaller plot in the same highbrow area of Abuja, while another was for a sizeable plot in an undeveloped part of Abuja, their lawyers said.

A saving grace was expected if Mrs. Jonathan’s team made new acceptable offer ahead of a report of the progress expected to be made to the court on September 24, 2012.

For weeks, or even months, away from the media and public glare, the negotiation continued but failed to provide a resolution as Mrs. Yar’Adua’s team considered all offers unsuitable replacements for the revoked land, Mr. Lagi said.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/patience-jonathan-turai-yar%E2%80%99adua-give-final-address-disputed-abuja-land-premium-times?page=1
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by Aifey(m): 4:23pm On Jan 08, 2013
Hmm. Power tusssle n bottom power. Let's seat n watch till after 90min.
But All na wash.
They kn each other.
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by airmark(m): 4:23pm On Jan 08, 2013
ok
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by Kzinne: 4:24pm On Jan 08, 2013
wetin concern us?
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by faithco: 4:24pm On Jan 08, 2013
Waiting
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by Psalhadeen: 4:32pm On Jan 08, 2013
Men fight for 3 things in life.Which're:power,love and land.As power don change hand so also make land change hand afterall the widow wan be a YAR'ADUA 4 life.
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by DANILSA(m): 4:38pm On Jan 08, 2013
THE LAND MOVED FROM MRS YARADUA TO MRS GUDLUCK AND WILL ALSO BE REVOKED FROM MRS GUDLUCK TO MRS BUHARI. IT HAS TO MOVE FROM FIRST LADY TO FIRST LADY, NA AWUF LAND NAA grin grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by pinky21(f): 4:40pm On Jan 08, 2013
Dame vs turai 0-0. Re dey learnerS
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 08, 2013
ILLITERATE DRAGGING LAND... What did she have to offer #she knw her self[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by GentleNaaz(m): 4:51pm On Jan 08, 2013
Am a final yr ABSU studnt. Skul said we shud pay skul fees b4 dy wl allow us cross d gate. Our skul fees is #83k. I need a gud nigerian hu cn help me pay my final yr skul fees. Pls i need help me. My number is 08165699700. I hv hussled n pay last session' fees but nw i cnt hussle agn cos i hv IT defense sooner

2 Likes

Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by overdrive(m): 4:51pm On Jan 08, 2013
land don finish for abj?there is more to this issue than meets d eye.where is maryam abacha {though a humble woman} today?no body knows tommorrow, let the woman be after all is she not ur fellow widow?

1 Like

Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by Stica4(f): 4:52pm On Jan 08, 2013
yes
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by manny4life(m): 4:54pm On Jan 08, 2013
Aren't these women supposed to be role models for women?

While Mrs. Yar’Adua obtained the plot for her pet project, Women and Youth Empowerment Foundation, WAYEF, Mrs. Jonathan got the allocation for her initiative, African First Ladies’ Peace Mission, AFLPM.

What kind of empowerment and peace mission are they on if they cannot mediate peacefully without washing their dirty linens in public?
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by ABAKA72(m): 4:55pm On Jan 08, 2013
Barawos na them sabi
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
Surely damn patience jonathan wil win this fight,mrz yaradua go back to kastina approco
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by annastacie: 4:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
the story too long, when they where all eating their money did i was not there so they should not get any advise from me angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by harkingholar: 5:01pm On Jan 08, 2013
Gentle Naaz: Am a final yr ABSU studnt. Skul said we shud pay skul fees b4 dy wl allow us cross d gate. Our skul fees is #83k. I need a gud nigerian hu cn help me pay my final yr skul fees. Pls i need help me. My number is 08165699700. I hv hussled n pay last session' fees but nw i cnt hussle agn cos i hv IT defense sooner

very easy....go and kidnapp
na business wey dey reign be dat
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by dabrake(m): 5:01pm On Jan 08, 2013
oops, double post
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by vizboy(m): 5:06pm On Jan 08, 2013
Nonsense fighting over a land both women need to be hanged
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by Omen100(m): 5:08pm On Jan 08, 2013
abeg, anybodi know were i go fit buy paim-wine 4 Lagos or Abuja? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address by SEEMESEEMEO(m): 5:11pm On Jan 08, 2013
I guess jonathan cant control his wife too...is that the only land in abuja,why cant patience just look for another one elsewhere

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Defeating Gej On Reno Omokiri's Buildup Nigeria Polls / Abia Government Begs Teachers To Call Off Strike (Photos) / Rail: Lagos Commences Feasibility Studies For Green And Purple Lines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.