Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted (23519 Views)

FIFA Ballon D'or 2014 Awards On 12th January 2014 / 2013 FIFA Ballon D'or On Monday, 13th January 2014 / Messi, Ribery & Ronaldo On 23-man Ballon D'or Shortlist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 08, 2013
For those who say FIFA just sit down somewhere and 'give' someone, maybe the people that voted from diverse parts of the world were goaded by FIFA to give one player.

[b]ANALYSIS
By Chris Myson

Lionel Messi has won his fourth Ballon d’Or title, scooping the prestigious individual award over runner-up Cristiano Ronaldo and third-place team-mate Andres Iniesta.

Radamel Falcao finished up in fifth, behind another Barcelona stalwart, Xavi, while Iker Casillas came in at sixth.

Andrea Pirlo, Didier Drogba, Robin van Persie and Zlatan Ibrahimovic made up a star-studded final top 10 for the calendar year of 2012.

After the awards ceremony, Fifa has released an intriguing list of the full votes for the award, which is decided based on decisions made by international coaches, captains and a selection of media representatives from each member nation.

The voting list reveals some decisions that would raise few eyebrows, but other ones that can be considered as particularly surprising.

In England’s votes, both manager Roy Hodgson and captain Steven Gerrard voted for the brilliant Messi as their winner, with Ronaldo in second.

They differed with their decisions for third-place, though, as the Three Lions boss went for Falcao, while the Liverpool captain opted for former team-mate Xabi Alonso.

For Spain, boss Vicente Del Bosque, who himself was recognised on the night with the Coach of the Year award, went for three of his own players; Casillas, Xavi and Iniesta in the top three positions.

Casillas himself had a vote and very surprisingly opted for club and international team-mate Sergio Ramos as his No.1 pick, with Ronaldo only second ahead of Iniesta, perhaps hinting at why the Portuguese ace felt his club were not fully supportive of his Ballon d’Or bid.

Messi had a vote as captain for Argentina and did not select Ronaldo in his top three at all, opting for Iniesta, Xavi and Sergio Aguero. Alejandro Sabella voted for Messi, with Ronaldo also absent from his selections.

Portugal matched that tactic, as Bruno Alves, who was voting in place of Ronaldo, went for his team-mate as top pick with Messi not in the top three, although Paulo Bento did name the Argentine in third.

Italy boss Cesare Prandelli voted for his star player Pirlo over Gianluigi Buffon and then Messi, while Buffon himself also went for the Juventus midfielder as his top choice.

Philipp Lahm backed Iniesta over Messi and Ronaldo, while Germany coach Joachim Low voted Mesut Ozil, Manuel Neuer and Xavi as his top three.

France coach Didier Deschamps backed Messi over Ronaldo and Xavi, while Hugo Lloris stayed loyal to the goalkeepers’ union by voting Casillas as No.1 over Falcao and Drogba.

Brazil skipper Thiago Silva’s votes were unremarkable, with Messi beating Ronaldo to top spot and his PSG team-mate Ibrahimovic in third.

Louis van Gaal voted for Messi over Ronaldo and Falcao, while Netherlands captain Wesley Sneijder voted Van Persie over Messi (second) and Ronaldo (third).

Darren Fletcher, who was casting votes as Scotland captain, backed former team-mate Ronaldo at No.1, with Messi and club team-mate Robin van Persie as his other selections.

For a full breakdown of the Ballon d'Or votes, click here to see Fifa's full list from national captains, coaches and media representatives. [/b]

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4055/main/2013/01/07/3656105/casillas-picks-ramos-over-ronaldo-gerrard-backs-messi-who

3 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Afam4eva(m): 6:24pm On Jan 08, 2013
This thing could have gone either way ooo cos it seems some people voted based on sentiments.

2 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 08, 2013
afam4eva: This thing could have gone either way ooo cos it seems some people voted based on sentiments.
Yeah, there are sentiments. For example, I see Algerian captain voting for Karim Benzema as no 1. That's clearly sentiment-driven. No sane football watcher would say Benzema was best player in the world in 2012. Messi, Ronaldo, Falcao, Iniesta, Xavi, all debatable, but Benzema, clearly nah. But I can see teh connection - Benzema has Algerian origin like the voter.

Also, I think contrary to his vote, Messi himself believes Ronaldo is one of the top 3 players in the world. Same for the guy that voted for Portugal. He can't tell me he sincerely believed Messi wasnt among top 3 players in the world, but he left him out to reduce his chance.

But overall, I think the voting is diverse enough to reflect true best player. The few sentiments-driven couldn't have made much difference, especially since teh difference between winner and 1st runner up is so wide.

16 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 08, 2013
Full list of voting by countries captains and coaches is avaiable in that link, last paragraph. Tried to attach it, but couldnt, too large.

I can see Yobo voted for Messi, Ronaldo and Yaya Toure in that order. Keshi also voted for Yaya, Drogba and Van Persie in that order.
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by vanstanzy(m): 8:47pm On Jan 08, 2013
AND THE WINNER OF 2012 Ballon D'or IS MERCILESS MESSI!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by ddippset(m): 8:51pm On Jan 08, 2013
this post really doesnt matter because the 'bigots' wouldnt accept this even at gun point. you will still here them say 'fifa gave messi' the award like a bunch of stark illetrates. the way fifa does it remains the best, most credible and transparent option. imagine the fifa ballon d'or winner been selected by a panel of 10 fifa officials in a 5 star hotel in zurich. all hell will be let loose.

6 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by fredoooooo: 8:53pm On Jan 08, 2013
even casillas pick sergio ramos over ronaldo , i no fit laugh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by disloman(m): 8:55pm On Jan 08, 2013
The 1st Xi of fifalona ;DThe 1st Xi of fifalona
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Cleverley(m): 8:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
African coaches and captains should wise-up, next time they should nominate only African prayers

1 Like

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by fredoooooo: 8:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
roy hodgson and gerrard voted the messiah grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by DANILSA(m): 8:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE, WAITING FOR MOFONS TO COME AND TELL US HOW SEPP PLATTER AND FIFA CHOOSE MESSI WITH WAYO angry MESSI NSTILL WIN tongue tongue tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by ajayioluwatobi(m): 8:59pm On Jan 08, 2013
how will this affect/change the price of garri @ ikotun market

1 Like

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by lafuria1(m): 9:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
@ jarus, argetina and messi didnt vote for CR7.............In summary,everybody voted for his friend......
i thought the voting was strictly between cr7 y messi y iniesta,how did the others like ramos grin, alonso, ibra etc get a vote,? my point is why tell us the final three wen its obvious that i can vote for chamakh as world best player.......oh i see, you vote for the final 23, is alright grin

well all done and dusted....... but the fifa XI

3 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by sheedy407(m): 9:01pm On Jan 08, 2013
i Ve notin to comment sha but to say dat the award is alredi with d winner while sum people are here usin their ba3 whc dey charged in barbing saloon to comment.

7 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by surveyProf(m): 9:02pm On Jan 08, 2013
It seems, the mode of counting of votes, looks strange to lots of people, Team captains, Coaches, and Sports journalist, are the only ones that are allowed to vote, and you're required to vote three players minimum, and the first on your voting list means five points, second means three points and third votes means one point respectively, and frm information, Messi had lots of Captains, Coaches and Sports Jou. Voting him as Number one on their list of voting, that means five points, and that perhaps makes him to carry the day!

3 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by vicenzo(m): 9:05pm On Jan 08, 2013
Yeah,just like i thought. Popularity contest,tainted by voters sentiments.
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Feedmemore(f): 9:06pm On Jan 08, 2013
Jarus:

But overall, I think the voting is diverse enough to reflect true best player. The few sentiments-driven couldn't have made much difference, especially since teh difference between winner and 1st runner up is so wide.

This is so on point.

And I think the best best player won at the end of the day.
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by SBabaJ(m): 9:06pm On Jan 08, 2013
Of The Mafia, 'Omerta' And Qualified Men! Messi Still Is The Best Man!
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2013
I think voting system should be reviewed.sentiment,nepotism and favourism are not good. There are caucus among international foothballers.people know the voters. lobbying is not an impossibility.

1 Like

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by vicenzo(m): 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2013
sheedy407: i Ve notin to comment sha but to say dat the award is alredi with d winner while sum people are here usin their ba3 whc dey charged in barbing saloon to comment.
grin
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by kingsilly(m): 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2013
the best won

1 Like

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Troll: 9:09pm On Jan 08, 2013
The Way This Voting Is Being Done Nowadays; An African Will Never Win The Fifa Ballon D'Or. No Matter How Spectacular He Is On The Pitch. The Europeans Will Always Vote For Their Own. The Public Should Be Given Voting Power Or Else This Is Just Plainly Sentimental Bulshit. Imagine!? angry

3 Likes

Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by brummell: 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
Give us the overall details of the vote, y u say make we go brows again grin shocked?
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Kk4(m): 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
Messi is an amazing and humble player. He deserved the trophy. My top 3..
1) messi
2) persie
3) Toure
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by omenziate(m): 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
Casillas sef dey very unserious. Ramos over Ronaldo.?
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Cornel88(m): 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
afam4eva: This thing could have gone either way ooo cos it seems some people voted based on sentiments.
If not for the selected journalist, it would have gone either way. Those directly involved in the game who are eligible to vote are voting with sentiment.
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Cornel88(m): 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2013
If not for the selected journalists, it would have gone either way. Those directly involved in the game who are eligible to vote are voting with sentiment.
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by surveyProf(m): 9:12pm On Jan 08, 2013
Troll: The Way This Voting Is Being Done Nowadays; An African Will Never Win The Fifa Ballon D'Or. No Matter How Spectacular He Is On The Pitch. The Europeans Will Always Vote For Their Own. The Public Should Be Given Voting Power Or Else This Is Just Plainly Sentimental Bulshit. Imagine!? angry

You're right, but if the members of the public are given the opportunity to vote, der will still be manipulatn, everybody will want to vote their own!
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 08, 2013
la furia: @ jarus, argetina and messi didnt vote for CR7.............In summary,everybody voted for his friend......
i thought the voting was strictly between cr7 y messi y iniesta,how did the others like ramos grin, alonso, ibra etc get a vote,? my point is why tell us the final three wen its obvious that i can vote for chamakh as world best player.......oh i see, you vote for the final 23, is alright grin

well all done and dusted....... but the fifa XI
Everybody that got nomination(by coaches, captains and journalists, even if one nomination) was among the initial long list released by FIFA way back November.

And getting the first 11 is also easy. Top ranked in each position. Messi (1st), Ronaldo (2nd), and Falcao (5th) were the top ranked forwards, so will automatically mean they are the forwards for FIFA 11. Drogba came 8th, and 4th ranked forward(after the trio). Except you want a strange formation of 4 strikers, Drogba couldn't have made First 11, despite coming 8th overall. Ditto for Pirlo. Yes, he did well, but other midfielders (Iniesta, Xavi, Xabi and who's the 4th again) ranked ahead of him, not because FIFA didn't his face but because the four guys appeared more in coaches and captains' nominations than Pirlo's.

It's that simple. I have never for once believed FIFA or CAF sit down and give someone award.
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Sholexyz(m): 9:13pm On Jan 08, 2013
Joachim low must b high on alomo mesut ozil as 1st. They r voting with sentiment.
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by surveyProf(m): 9:15pm On Jan 08, 2013
Cornel88: If not for the selected journalists, it would have gone either way. Those directly involved in the game who are eligible to vote are voting with sentiment.

There was nothing like sentiment der, u are free as a coach, Sport writer, captain of a national team, to vote any player of your choice, it must not be Messi, Cr7 of Ini ester!
Re: Ballon D'or 2012: How They Voted by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 08, 2013
Troll: The Way This Voting Is Being Done Nowadays; An African Will Never Win The Fifa Ballon D'Or. No Matter How Spectacular He Is On The Pitch. The Europeans Will Always Vote For Their Own. The Public Should Be Given Voting Power Or Else This Is Just Plainly Sentimental Bulshit. Imagine!? angry
Eto'o came 3rd as recently as 2004. He was an African. Stop the racist remark. Drogba came 8th and you wont tell me he did more than the 7 guys ranked ahead of him.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Club Brugge Vs Manchester United: UCL Play-off (0 - 4) On 26th August 2015 / Liverpool Vs Leicester EFL Cup (5 - 4) pens On 22nd December 2021 / Manchester City Vs Liverpool (1 - 4) On 21st November 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.