Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,176 members, 7,780,233 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:11 AM

How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? (5257 Views)

Pictures Of Obj In Senegal / "leave Our Country", Protesters Tell Obj In Senegal / Atiku Skips OBJ In His Protocol List At Yar'Adua's Memorial Lecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 09, 2013
What is the relevance of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo in Nigeria's politics? How much political influence can he wield today?

In the last few months, the former president has been trying to pull his weight by junketting around the country, attending weddings, child naming ceremonies,etc.

Is there still any weight for OBJ to pull? Is the former president now a political feather weight?

With all due respect to whatever opinion other persons may have on this issue, the FACTS are as follows:

1) OBJ lost his polling boot in the last 2011 elections
http://allafrica.com/stories/201104110072.html

2) OBJ could not help his daughter secure senatorial position in the 2011 elections
http://allafrica.com/stories/201104100022.html

3) OBJ was forced to resign from PDP BOT chairmanship position, a position he initially carved out for himself for life (as ex-president).
Below is a quote from a report on why OBJ resigned as PDP BOT chairman:

"...Reliable Sources within the party said apart from the fact that the BOT chair is now open for other party leaders to contest for, Obasanjo’s influence in the board has also gradually dwindled such that he is most likely to lose the election in July if he decided to stand for re-election, stressing that there was more to the resignation than the former president’s statement had said.
A member of the BOT who pleaded anonymity described his exit from the position as good news. “I am one hundred percent sure that anybody who challenges him will defeat him, given his dwindling political standing at the moment.”
http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/04/04/revealed-real-reason-obj-resigned-as-pdp-bot-chair/

4) PDP in OBJ's home state, Ogun, is factionalised. At the moment the OBJ faction is depending on the national headquater (Bamanga Tukur and co) to save its face.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/politics/tukur-obj-in-alliance-against-kashamu/
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/pandemonium-as-obj-kashamu-pdp-factions-clash-in-abeokuta/

Consequently, I think the former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, is politically IRRELEVANT
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jan 09, 2013
Am sure your President would scold you if he ever read this

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by dayokanu(m): 7:25am On Jan 09, 2013
OBJ is irrelevant in the SW. Tinubu is the SW powerbroker,

But OBJ is relevant in the National politics as he has a lot of bigwigs in PDP who are loyal to him

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Burger01(m): 7:37am On Jan 09, 2013
Take it or leave it..baba is relevant till his dying days.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by CrazyMan(m): 7:46am On Jan 09, 2013
Having read your article, I can draw a conclusion that Obj is just an old frustrated man waiting to kick the bucket anytime soon..
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jan 09, 2013
Obj may seem irrelevant in todays politics but it doesnt mean you can step on his toes, for he does not easily forgive.
He is cunning and a politician to the core.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Demdem(m): 8:33am On Jan 09, 2013
dayokanu: OBJ is irrelevant in the SW. Tinubu is the SW powerbroker,

But OBJ is relevant in the National politics as he has a lot of bigwigs in PDP who are loyal to him

Well said. case closed.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 09, 2013
dayokanu: OBJ is irrelevant in the SW. Tinubu is the SW powerbroker,

See contradictions oh! Someone is irrelevant in his political base (southwest) but relevant in my home state (Anambra), Imo or Borno.
I no fit laugh I beg!

4 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 09, 2013
nne3870: Obj may seem irrelevant in todays politics but it doesnt mean you can step on his toes, for he does not easily forgive.
He is cunning and a politician to the core.
Whether he forgives or not is immaterial. The reality now is that he has lost his sting.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Demdem(m): 9:07am On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
See contradictions oh! Someone is irrelevant in his political base (southwest) but relevant in my home state (Anambra), Imo or Borno.
I no fit laugh I beg!

He was irreleveant in his home state during the elections but still went ahead to become ur president. That is Nigeria for u. Use ur brain.
Infact if not for his craftiness against the then AD govs for the next elections who were so gullible except Asiwaju, he would still have lost his zone.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 09, 2013
Demdem:

Well said. case closed.
Did you really believe that statement. I'm disappointed. I expected you to be more sophisticated than this

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Demdem(m): 9:11am On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Did you really believe that statement. I'm disappointed. I expected you to be more sophisticated than this

Be dissapointed in ursef for not having sufficient brain power to decode the basic truth of Nigerian Politics

4 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 09, 2013
Demdem:

He was irreleveant in his home state during the elections but still went ahead to become ur president. That is Nigeria for u. Use ur brain.
That was then and the "king makers" from the north (lead by Abdusalam, the then head of state) plus rigging made that possible. In 2011, it was one-man-one-vote
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Demdem(m): 9:17am On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That was then and the "king makers" from the north (lead by Abdusalam, the then head of state) plus rigging made that possible.

And who says the kingmakers from the north who will be needed to win the killer primaries arent there again? why will a lamido, Muazu and their kind who have enormous influence to determine who their delegates will vote for (remember, they have nothing to lose- 2nd term govs) support a man that promised to go for a single term as against OBJ (their loyalist) who is ready to dance to their tune in exchange for a good fortune for his party in SW which the retardeen seems not to favour?

By the way, are u saying there are no rigging again?

In 2011, it was one-man-one-vote

Continue to deceive ursef. one man one vote ur arse.

By the way, are u aware that plans are presently in motion to dislodge the present PDP chairman that has the support of the retardeen.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Standing5(m): 9:25am On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That was then and the "king makers" from the north (lead by Abdusalam, the then head of state) plus rigging made that possible. In 2011, it was one-man-one-vote
One man one vote except for Multiple vote casting by the ''Killer Clique'' after they brainwashed neutral Nigerians to beleieve that E-registration of voters will somehow quaranty a fair election.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Abagworo(m): 9:27am On Jan 09, 2013
OBJ is "Baba" and baba means father. He has already won the BOT(Ahmadu Ali) chairman. I dey laugh o.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by truth4meal(m): 9:35am On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I no fit laugh I beg!
you guys are simply testing the waters and equally uncertain of the potency of baba's politicking - tell your boss he is subtely overseering the conglomeration of his enemies. OBJ is a national figure, 2 time president, a military chief and relevant. Tell him we don't want them both to reconcile it will ease the demise of GEJ's regime by 2015. And lemme ask u - Ahmmadu Ali dat just won the BOT seat is whose ally?
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by nollywood20: 9:36am On Jan 09, 2013
As relevant as an owl in the forest.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by dridowu: 9:40am On Jan 09, 2013
I like ds Man call OBJ
ebora of owu
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by truth4meal(m): 9:41am On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Whether he forgives or not is immaterial. The reality now is that he has lost his sting.
if sincerely he has lost his sting you and your paymasters won't lose sleep over him - I think that is a fair equation. Abati woke up dis morning to rant on twitter over a man that has lost his sting abi? You are here fooling ursef over a man that has lost his sting abi? GEJ is just building a solid foundation for his own downfall - watch out!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by TRILLIONIAR: 9:44am On Jan 09, 2013
@OP NA BABA BE YOUR NEXT TARGET ABI?
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:48am On Jan 09, 2013
As a former ruler of Nigeria for several years, you ll think he's the one to call upon for elderly advice. But he's a troublemaker. He should leave the 'clueless one' alone.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by baynix(m): 9:52am On Jan 09, 2013
Baba Dey Laff oo!!

Ebora Toun Gbe L'Otta!!
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 09, 2013
Let's just say he's the god father of Nigerian politics

3 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by baynix(m): 9:54am On Jan 09, 2013
Demdem:

Be dissapointed in ursef for not having sufficient brain power to decode the basic truth of Nigerian Politics

Confam!!
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 09, 2013
He is irrelevant both in SW and in Nigerian politics , [b]just like all SWers are now irrelevant [/b]in National Politics.... President, VP, Senate President, VSP, Leader House of Rep , Deputy leader HoR, PDP BOT, PDP SEC, PDP Chairman, Gov forum chairman etc....where is a Yoruba Man in these positions, they r local champions just like Tinubu cool
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 09, 2013
Irrelevant
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by goodmike7: 10:01am On Jan 09, 2013
Totally irrelevant,it was clearly displayed when he could not deliver his own ward for the senatorial election of his daughter.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Demdem(m): 10:04am On Jan 09, 2013
CHESSBOARD: He is irrelevant both in SW and in Nigerian politics , just like all SWers are now irrelevant in National Politics.... President, VP, Senate President, VSP, Leader House of Rep , Deputy leader HoR, PDP BOT, PDP SEC, PDP Chairman, Gov forum chairman etc....where is a Yoruba Man in these positions, they r local champions just like Tinubu cool

And when SW was relevant in ur understanding and had the likes of thieving bankole has power brokers strategically placed in the PDP equation, was SW better off? Even now that Retardeen is the president of Nigeria, tell me, is SS peeps better off? is it not the likes of Tompolo, Boyloaf, ateke and their kind that are having a sway time? ordinary east-west road, still death trap when the MNDA misister had the effrontery to relocate the contractor to go build his mansion for Abuja instead.

Probably, Azazi might not have died if that road was perfect. get this straight, SW isnt complaining and ok with what they have right now. At best, they desire true federalism where each region will have direct control of their resources. Only the killer cliques like "tewonde" george, Obanikoro, Oyinlola and their kind are complaining.

Dont deceive ur sef. The killer party dont give a ffuck about u but themselves and their loyal killer members.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by jaso1(m): 10:09am On Jan 09, 2013
He wanted to be relevant and PDP lack this knowledge.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by banki(m): 10:10am On Jan 09, 2013
@mr sincere nigerian, you ,make me laugh wether obj was right or wrong your principal and you guys have formed a very lovely habit of biting the hand that fed you.....
even attributing all sucess to alamesigha....
let me remind you of some facts....

alams brought gej in as vice because he needed a stooge......
obj fell out with alams and used gej.....
gej was made governor.....
obj single handedly picked yaradua and gej....
yaradua died.....

elrufai,tunde bakare, obj etc helped to enthrone gej as president
obj helped ensure gej was elected, and gejs face book friends ....

all of a sudden,
tunde bakare is useless...
el rufai is useless
obj is useless
facebook friends are useless....

thats the story of your principal correct me if i am right
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 09, 2013
He remains the King-Maker. whether the northerners like it or not.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari's Absensce At London Town Hall Meeting Strikes Controversies [PHOTOS] / Owerri To Aba Road Construction Ongoing By Pmb Led Administration / Ikonne Exposes Plot By Ikuku and Father to Take-Over Abia Govt Through Backdoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.