Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,744 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

The Oscars: 2008 - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Oscars: 2008 (3032 Views)

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 / The Oscars, 2010 Live Coverage And Results / The Oscars 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 10:58am On Feb 26, 2008
Did anyone catch the Oscars on Sunday? Twas cool. , Some good movies won but was disappointed some movies I thought were fantastic didnt even get nominated. .
I've seen that years and years to come, the Oscars would always bring surprises, good or bad. .

I did a check on the winners. . .here are the winners for the major categories. . *winners in bold letters*

what ya think?

ACTOR -- LEADING
George Clooney - MICHAEL CLAYTON
Daniel Day-Lewis -THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Johnny Depp - SWEENEY TODD THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET
Tommy Lee Jones - IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH
Viggo Mortensen - EASTERN PROMISES

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING
Casey Affleck - THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
Javier Bardem - NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Philip Seymour Hoffman - CHARLIE WILSON’S WAR
Hal Holbrook - INTO THE WILD
Tom Wilkinson - MICHAEL CLAYTON

ACTRESS -- LEADING
Cate Blanchett - ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE
Julie Christie - AWAY FROM HER
Marion Cotillard - LA VIE EN ROSE
Laura Linney - THE SAVAGES
Ellen Page - JUNO

ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
Cate Blanchett - I’M NOT THERE
Ruby Dee - AMERICAN GANGSTER
Saoirse Ronan - ATONEMENT
Amy Ryan - GONE BABY GONE
Tilda Swinton - MICHAEL CLAYTON

DIRECTING
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY
JUNO
MICHAEL CLAYTON
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN - Joel and Ethan Coen
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

ANIMATED FEATURE
PERSEPOLIS
RATATOUILLE
SURF’S UP

ART DIRECTION
AMERICAN GANGSTER
ATONEMENT
THE GOLDEN COMPASS
SWEENEY TODD THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

CINEMATOGRAPHY
THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
ATONEMENT
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

BEST PICTURE
ATONEMENT
JUNO
MICHAEL CLAYTON
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

COSTUME DESIGN
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
ATONEMENT
ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE
LA VIE EN ROSE
SWEENEY TODD THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET

FILM EDITING
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM
INTO THE WILD
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

ORIGINAL SCORE
ATONEMENT
THE KITE RUNNER
MICHAEL CLAYTON
RATATOUILLE
3:10 TO YUMA

SCREENPLAY -- ADAPTED
ATONEMENT
AWAY FROM HER
THE DIVING BELL
AND THE BUTTERFLY
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

SCREENPLAY -- ORIGINAL
JUNO
LARS AND THE REAL GIRL
MICHAEL CLAYTON
RATATOUILLE
THE SAVAGES
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by ndubest(m): 4:47pm On Feb 26, 2008
It was really an award with so many unknown winners

i was disappointed George Clooney didnt get the best actor

well thats Oscar for you with its suprises
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by mendax: 5:12pm On Feb 26, 2008
which series won the drama award?
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by A40(m): 5:39pm On Feb 26, 2008
I knew Juno was going to pick an Oscar one way or another
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by choco4life(m): 5:58pm On Feb 26, 2008
I never gave Daniel Day-Lewis a chance. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . i felt either clooney, lee jones or johnny depp had the best chances
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by cooldudeng(m): 7:11pm On Feb 26, 2008
as for me, i would have preferred George Clooney
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by TOYOSI20(f): 9:17pm On Feb 26, 2008
I loved[b] Marion Cotillard's [/b] acceptance speech, it was so emotional.

She deserved the win. kiss

And then No Country For Old men's Javier Bardem, I knew he was going to

get the Oscar,

Congrats to them both. wink
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by dinozzo(m): 12:15am On Feb 27, 2008
I missed it, just saw the winners the next day, good thing No country for old men won. That film was something, just awesome. Juno was good too but haven't seen there will be blood. Bourne grabbed some too, nice tongue.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by iice(f): 10:53am On Feb 27, 2008
I watched it. . .infact, i watched it twice grin grin and have been on a high since grin grin I might even watch it a third time. . .

I already predicted Lewis will win. . .it's hard for them not to give this man an award. . .he's just too awesome!
I knew Javier will win. . .who else could beat that performance? tongue

I wasn't disappointed that Cate Blanchett didn't win because another favorite of mine won - Tilda Swinton
Am happy for Marion Cotillard, though i didn't see the movie but from what little i saw, i thought she gave a great performance plus she looked lipsrsealed - does that remind us of the power of transformation in Charlize case, in Halle's case, in Nicole's case. . .see a trend? tongue But she did deserve that award

Well i knew they were gonna have to give juno atleast on award coz of all the hoopla but i didn't really like the movie. I mean it was good but after hearing this and that about the movie. . .i was expecting some awesome legendary movie. . .right.
The winners aren't unknown. . .some of them have been around a long time. . .

mendax:

which series won the drama award?

You are looking for the Emmys or the Globes not the Oscars wink Oscars only honor Movies.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by djcrucifix(m): 6:24pm On Feb 27, 2008
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by faramola: 9:07pm On Feb 27, 2008
was really expectant, the winners were a no no for me,
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 11:18pm On Feb 27, 2008
realy happy for the coen bothers. , nice win for them. . .
Juno too was good. knew it was goin to win at least an award.

but the question is this. . are these movies reali the best movies we saw in 2007?
alot of great movies IMO didnt even get nominated. .
or were they not good enough?

watever happened to Transformers, Die Hard 4.0, 300. . .or are these movies not good enough?

i just thought at least 300 should have been nominated.
or wat do u guys think. .
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by easimoni(m): 4:47pm On Feb 28, 2008
justkunmi:

realy happy for the coen bothers. , nice win for them. . .
Juno too was good. knew it was goin to win at least an award.

but the question is this. . are these movies reali the best movies we saw in 2007?
alot of great movies IMO didnt even get nominated. .
or were they not good enough?

watever happened to Transformers, Die Hard 4.0, 300. . .or are these movies not good enough?

i just thought at least 300 should have been nominated.
or what do u guys think. .
The academy rarely awards action movies. Gladiator was one of the few exceptions. They claim to reward "serious" movies. tongue
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 9:04am On Feb 29, 2008
thats just crap. . .
they dont reward action movies!!!!!! thats so biased. . .
so watever happens to action movie actors and directors no award for them until they create a movie about Hitler
not fair, not fair. .

ever noticed how George Clooney has of recent been on every Oscar nomination? Syriana, Good Night Good Luck, now Michael Clayton. . .
I mean, I'm not taking anything away from George, but were these exceptionally great movies?? compared to the ones we all know?

For me, the oscars is loosing its relevance in really rewarding great movies. . .since it no longer considers great movies as great
it now prefers the sober and low toned movies. . .
just pure bias. . .thats all
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by A40(m): 12:31pm On Feb 29, 2008
justkunmi:

thats just crap. . .
they don't reward action movies!!!!!! thats so biased. . .
so watever happens to action movie actors and directors no award for them until they create a movie about Hitler
not fair, not fair. .

ever noticed how George Clooney has of recent been on every Oscar nomination? Syriana, Good Night Good Luck, now Michael Clayton. . .
I mean, I'm not taking anything away from George, but were these exceptionally great movies?? compared to the ones we all know?

For me, the oscars is loosing its relevance in really rewarding great movies. . .since it no longer considers great movies as great
it now prefers the sober and low toned movies. . .
just pure bias. . .thats all
You can only wonder sometimes the Oscar's are really such a bore these days i think the more boring your film is the more likely you would get an award
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 4:23pm On Feb 29, 2008
so where does that leave the action movie actors and directors.

I knew the oscars was in trouble when it even nominated Brokeback Mountain for an award. then I knew they've completely lost it. . .
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by rickii(f): 6:52pm On Mar 01, 2008
my own is dt tilda's dress wuz very UGLY!han han, it wuz horrific, her acceptance speech wuz kinda funny sha, nd dn Daniel day-Lewis gud for him he won d award oh bt his dress sense, urrrgh!he wore dis ugly brown hideous suede shoes nd hoop earrings nd wot wuz wiv him peckin George on the cheek?, weird, even though marion cotillard's outfit wuz jean paul gautier puurrlease, wt wuz wiv d fish scales!!!p.s:dis particular oscars had d lowest viewer ratings of all time according to E, im nt suprised, no wonder im jst into wt dy were wearin,
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by iice(f): 8:20pm On Mar 01, 2008
rickii:

my own is dt tilda's dress wuz very UGLY!han han, it wuz horrific, her acceptance speech wuz kind of funny sha, nd dn Daniel day-Lewis good for him he won d award oh bt his dress sense, urrrgh!he wore this ugly brown hideous suede shoes nd hoop earrings nd wot wuz with him peckin George on the cheek?, weird, even though marion cotillard's outfit wuz jean paul gautier puurrlease, wt wuz with d fish scales!!!p.s:this particular oscars had d lowest viewer ratings of all time according to E, im nt suprised, no wonder im jst into wt dy were wearin,

LOL Tilda's dress sense is not normal. . .heck she doesn't even wear that much makeup. Ohhh Day Lewis doesn't dress the usual too and i love his hoop earrings. . .gives him the pirate look. . .I loved Cotillard's dress. . .kindda fantasy inspired grin grin but i agree, the fashion was relatively tame. . .i was looking forward to some really hideous outfits and my winner is. . . .Day Lewis's wife. . .the red, the crystal flowers blah blah.

And what's wrong with brokeback mountain? It's a touching story. . .look beyond the man-man relationship and experience the feelings of mere mortals. . .
Sorry but action films usually just get the technical awards. . .except like someone said for gladiator.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 3:42pm On Mar 02, 2008
@iice
and is that fair? On action movie actors and directors. See movies like Transformers and 300. Not even a single nomination. With all the movie reviews in mind, 300 shoulda swept the Oscars clean.
So unfair. Like I said before, the Oscars is losing its relevance year after year with the kind of movies they reward.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 3:44pm On Mar 02, 2008
@iice
and is that fair? On action movie actors and directors. See movies like Transformers and 300. Not even a single nomination. With all the movie reviews in mind, 300 shoulda swept the Oscars clean.
So unfair. Like I said before, the Oscars is losing its relevance year after year with the kind of movies they reward.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 3:47pm On Mar 02, 2008
@iice
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 3:48pm On Mar 02, 2008
@iice
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 3:51pm On Mar 02, 2008
@iice
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by iice(f): 4:15pm On Mar 03, 2008
Your network don dey kapafu*ker ne? grin grin grin @ justkunmi

Yeah, well Transformers was nominated for a couple of categories but didn't win.
I would have thought 300 would be nominated in cinematography at least. . .the movie was a visual feast. . .
But the academy is known for rewarding somber "serious" movies undecided

I was reading earlier about this year's oscars. . .
The writer was saying an overhaul would go a long way to increase ratings. Not in the movies shown or winners (even though many of the younger generation don't know some of these actors/actresses undecided ) but by making the music performances spectacular akin to the grammys and by getting younger (popular) actors/actresses to give out awards.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by vescucci(m): 4:22pm On Mar 03, 2008
Justkunmi seems to be pissed. I have already come to terms with the fact that Oscars are for the 'deep' movies and not for the ass-kickers. What we need in the oscars now would be a percentage of the ratings to go out to the people. What I mean is that they should consider what the people paying for the bleeding movie tickets and DVDs (bootleggers like me) want. I'm beginning to think there should be a category for highest grossing movie too.

It just occured to me that 300 didn't pick up anything. That's mind boggling. It seems No country for old men, Michael Clayton and There will be blood were the movies that stole the show this year.

Better luck next year. Hey iice. Fancy seeing you here. Not hard at all!
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by Dreloaded(f): 4:24pm On Mar 03, 2008
If they awarded stuff like Transformers, I would have stopped watching

The Academy awards GOOD movies, not blockbuster fluff and I personally thank God for that.

300 COULD have gotten cintemography but seeing that Sin City didnt (way better movie in that aspect) I'm not surprised, I thought the cinemtography in There Will be Blood was wonderful, same for Assination Of Jesse James

and seriously, jk, you need to get over brokeback. I can bet my lungs you ahvent even watched it so if anyone is biased it's you. Great movie that should have gotten the oscar, not that garbage known as Crash.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by iice(f): 4:36pm On Mar 03, 2008
TOH, yeah i thought Jesse James would have gotten for cinematography coz i really liked how it was shot accompanied by the score, it was awesome.

Vesc. . .lol well am never too far from this place tongue
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by Dreloaded(f): 4:42pm On Mar 03, 2008
vescucci:

. I'm beginning to think there should be a category for highest grossing movie too.

Um. No.

Norbit grossed alot of money, should it get an award too?

*spits* angry
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by Dreloaded(f): 5:20pm On Mar 03, 2008
I think you guys should spend time watching the MTV movie awards. seems more along your tastes

and leave the "deep and serious" stuff to us grin
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by dinozzo(m): 11:16pm On Mar 03, 2008
The Academy doesn't give credit to films like transformers and the likes except maybe in the special effects category. Its for movies like no country for old men (one of the best flicks I've seen in a while), there will be blood, crash, brokeback mountain (tufiakwa! haven't seen it and have no intention of seeing it), the pianist.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by ayinbaba: 2:05pm On Mar 04, 2008
pls, do anybody knows d basics of academy awards nominations? is it based on film sale, critics, viewer"s opinion or some selected sets of people.
Re: The Oscars: 2008 by justkunmi(m): 3:01pm On Mar 04, 2008
D-Reloaded
ofcourse I av seen brokeback mountain. . .Twice even, cheesy to make sure I wasnt wrong with my first impression of it. .
and I still did not like it. To me it was just an excuse for a gay movie!!. . grin grin
Dont get me wrong, I love "deep movies", like the ones the Oscars is rewarding, but the awards should go round. . .Everyone should be appreciated.
Maybe to overcome that dilemma, they should try to create categories like Best Action movie., Best Triller, Best Horror and the likes. . .and then the so called serious movies can go with the overall best movie. .
My point is, good movies must be rewarded. cool

or maybe the awards should be voted for by people. . .then we see which movie people really loved. .

iice. . .
yeah. .
i was thinking 300 shoulda gotten the cinematography award. . I mean, wat mo could you ask for? The whole movie was a beautiful show off of graphics. . .it was just pure art. .
and in the end, no recognition. .
well i think directors and producers would get rewarded by the gross sales of the movies. thats enough compensation afterall beacuse it grossed $28,106,731 on its opening day alone, breaking the record held by Ice Age: The Meltdown for the biggest opening weekend in the month of March.
Enough reward if u ask me. . grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Comedy Show / Please How Do I Differentiate Fake Lg Tv From Original? / "It's Brrrr On The Coke Side Of Life" Advert.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.