Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic (3540 Views)

Trailer Acident In Mile 2 Area Lagos,Trailer Lost Control & Fell On Highway(Pics / Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic / Sad:accident Occured In Lagos; Trailer Killed 2,okada Man And A Woman.(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by bigass(f): 1:46am On Jan 10, 2013
The Lagos State Special Court has sentenced a trailer driver to three months imprisonment for driving against the flow of traffic.

The PUNCH had reported the arrest of the 33-year-old driver, Sagir Abubakar, on September 18, 2012.

Abubakar, who is from Yobe State, was arrested by the state Taskforce on Environmental and Special (Enforcement) Unit while driving against the traffic on the Third Mainland Bridge.

The Taskforce Chairman, Superintendent Bayo Sulaiman, had said, “Driving against the traffic is rampant in the Lagos metropolis.

“This practice violates the provision of the state traffic law.”

He said punishment for the offence was one-year imprisonment for a first-time offender and three years imprisonment for subsequent offences, including seizure of the vehicle.

Abubakar was first arraigned on September 20 but his case was adjourned on his request.

On Wednesday, Abubakar pleaded guilty and asked for leniency.

His charge sheet read, “That you, Sagir Abubakar, on September 18, 2012, at about 12.40 pm on the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos State, drove a trailer with registration number XB 323 FKA driving same against oncoming traffic and committed an offence contrary to section 7(b), Lagos Road Traffic Law 2012 and punishable under section 7 (b)(1) of same law.”

The Magistrate, Yetunde Pinhero, subsequently sentenced him to three months imprisonment with an option of N100, 000 fine.

Abubakar was also sent to the state Drivers’ Institute for seven days driving training and re-certification.

The convict was, however, taken to Badagry Prison because he was unable to raise the N100,000 fine option

http://www.punchng.com/news/court-jails-trailer-driver-for-driving-against-traffic/

1 Like

Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by Jaideyone(m): 7:13am On Jan 10, 2013
What a pity. That's what happens when people refuse to do the right thing. If you can't abide by the laws of the land then leave
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by aloyzin: 9:02am On Jan 10, 2013
Rules are rules without them we re nothing... Sory sha
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by victorD3: 9:07am On Jan 10, 2013
What happened to fines?? Jails should remain for criminals not offenders. Just my thought
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by gidiMonsta(m): 9:07am On Jan 10, 2013
3 months is too small na sad. The animal could have caused a ghastly accident with his foolish behaviour. How can any sane human go against traffic on 3rd mainland of all places?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 10, 2013
Na Boko boys "tooroouble" Lagos state dey find...

Shei una know say dem sabi jail-break to free their comrades-at-arms...?? grin
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by prost80(m): 9:09am On Jan 10, 2013
Thumbs up for Lagos state and fashola. We need to drive this menace out of lagos. Imagine driving a trailer against traffic putting people's life at risk.

Eko o ni baje o

1 Like

Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by aniyphil: 9:09am On Jan 10, 2013
Abubakar . . . Welcome to Lagos!
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by free2ryhme: 9:11am On Jan 10, 2013
Aboki first culprit... I hope others like him will learn
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by fm7070: 9:16am On Jan 10, 2013
nice one,
those 'abokis' thought they are the king of the road
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 10, 2013
Lagos is working

Eko o ni baje o
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by prost80(m): 9:17am On Jan 10, 2013
I will even advocate for fashola to go a step further and indict/penalise the companies who hires such drivers.When companies lose both driver and finance a few times, they will make sure their drivers are not a nuisance to people on the road. There should be a fine for the company in monetary terms inclusive of the present punutive measures. I will also advocate that half of the fee be given to the Task Force men and women enforcement Unit as a way to boost morale, while the other half goes straight into Lagos coffers.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by baby124: 9:47am On Jan 10, 2013
Wow, what a lunatic. Driving against traffic with a trailer. Imagine speeding and turning a bend, what do you see coming towards you, a big, giant trailer. The guy should be taken to a psychiatric facility as well.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by ypzilanti: 10:05am On Jan 10, 2013
victorD3: What happened to fines?? Jails should remain for criminals not offenders. Just my thought

Did you read where an option of N100,000 fine was stated in the post? If not read again.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 10, 2013
gidiMonsta: 3 months is too small na sad. The animal could have caused a ghastly accident with his foolish behaviour. How can any sane human go against traffic on 3rd mainland of all places?
abi o,he deserves it,if not more.all this lawlwssness with impunity and madness with justification has to stop.when people come to lagos they just believe they have the license to behave anyhow.some years back my dad was driving back home on this same 3rd mainland bridge and this illiterate and lousy trailer driver was taking one way and was still speeding recklessly,people had to avoid him before he damages their car because they all know that he will take off,even if he is caught sef,many of them cannot afford to pay for damages,so its a matter of he who is down needs fear no fall
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by kenmaro: 10:58am On Jan 10, 2013
A 3 months imprisonment or a fine of 100,000 and seizure of the vehicle is on the high side for a traffic offense. Instead, i think a one(1) month social work or a fine of 25,000 with a mandatory 7days driver's re-certification and a non-seizure of the vehicle is OK. After all, the vehicle did not drive itself wrongly rather it was operated by a human. I tell you this country Nigeria does not have a fair judicial system for the helpless Nigerian citizen. If it was an elite citizen(the "who is who" in the society), do we think these kind of punishment would have been judiciously applied? Go around Lagos state to see a lot of siren blaring convoys driving against traffic in their quest to either catch-up a flight or etc and causing havoc to other road users. Some of these people in these convoys are members of the state cabinet and other top government functionaries. What has the government done to these set of people? Take the case of former speaker of the House of Rep(Salisu Buhari) who was convicted of a case of certificate forgery some years back, what was the punishment for his offense? A mere fine of 1,000naira. But i tell you, just a case of certificate forgery in the quest of employment in a company here in Nigeria will land a helpless citizen(who is a "Nobody"wink in jail with an option of a very bogus fine.
Fashola is really doing great reformations in the state and neither am i against his reformation policies but he should ensure that equal justice is applied to the high and low in the society.
Remember "What is good for the goose is also good for the gender".
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by prost80(m): 11:08am On Jan 10, 2013
kenmaro: A 3 months imprisonment or a fine of 100,000 and seizure of the vehicle is on the high side for a traffic offense. Instead, i think a one(1) month social work or a fine of 25,000 with a mandatory 7days driver's re-certification and a non-seizure of the vehicle is OK. After all, the vehicle did not drive itself wrongly rather it was operated by a human. I tell you this country Nigeria does not have a fair judicial system for the helpless Nigerian citizen. If it was an elite citizen(the "who is who" in the society), do we think these kind of punishment would have been judiciously applied? Go around Lagos state to see a lot of siren blaring convoys driving against traffic in their quest to either catch-up a flight or etc and causing havoc to other road users. Some of these people in these convoys are members of the state cabinet and other top government functionaries. What has the government done to these set of people? Take the case of former speaker of the House of Rep(Salisu Buhari) who was convicted of a case of certificate forgery some years back, what was the punishment for his offense? A mere fine of 1,000naira. But i tell you, just a case of certificate forgery in the quest of employment in a company here in Nigeria will land a helpless citizen(who is a "Nobody"wink in jail with an option of a very bogus fine.
Fashola is really doing great reformations in the state and neither am i against his reformation policies but he should ensure that equal justice is applied to the high and low in the society.

That sounds good on paper . what if the guy absconds from communal duty, in a nation where we have no biometric data to link anyone, it is best he is jailed there for 3 months, his truck taken. Let him suffer so that next time he is opportuned to drive in lagos lai-lai he will not take one way
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by kenmaro: 11:13am On Jan 10, 2013
@ prost80:
I sincerely agree with your point. I did not consider your point when making my comments. And sincerely, your point has really knock me out and all i could say now is that " May God help Nigeria".
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by brownlord: 11:33am On Jan 10, 2013
Abubakar from yobe, wtf, no jtf in lagos, abeg shoot that guy in the head na boko haramn he they survey how e won take carry out e evil act, motherphicking good for nothing aboki
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by larride(m): 11:42am On Jan 10, 2013
kenmaro: A 3 months imprisonment or a fine of 100,000 and seizure of the vehicle is on the high side for a traffic offense. Instead, i think a one(1) month social work or a fine of 25,000 with a mandatory 7days driver's re-certification and a non-seizure of the vehicle is OK. After all, the vehicle did not drive itself wrongly rather it was operated by a human. I tell you this country Nigeria does not have a fair judicial system for the helpless Nigerian citizen. If it was an elite citizen(the "who is who" in the society), do we think these kind of punishment would have been judiciously applied? Go around Lagos state to see a lot of siren blaring convoys driving against traffic in their quest to either catch-up a flight or etc and causing havoc to other road users. Some of these people in these convoys are members of the state cabinet and other top government functionaries. What has the government done to these set of people? Take the case of former speaker of the House of Rep(Salisu Buhari) who was convicted of a case of certificate forgery some years back, what was the punishment for his offense? A mere fine of 1,000naira. But i tell you, just a case of certificate forgery in the quest of employment in a company here in Nigeria will land a helpless citizen(who is a "Nobody"wink in jail with an option of a very bogus fine.

But what about the Military officer that was arrested? What about OBJ buses that were arrested and seized, what about the Chief Justice that was arrested. Fashola himself doesn't go around with sirens so where do you see any of his cabinet members or top officials that will do what the number one citizen of the state doesn't do? Until strict laws and prosecution are melted out, those tank trialer won't learn.
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by Krucifax(m): 12:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
victorD3: What happened to fines?? Jails should remain for criminals not offenders. Just my thought

You need to redefine your understanding of "criminal". Many traffic offences constitute "a criminal offence" and are punishable by jail time.

Good job done by traffic enforcers,the driver must have been a mad man,only God knows how many lives have been saved!!

Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by Originalsly: 1:11pm On Jan 10, 2013
kenmaro: A 3 months imprisonment or a fine of 100,000 and seizure of the vehicle is on the high side for a traffic offense. Instead, i think a one(1) month social work or a fine of 25,000 with a mandatory 7days driver's re-certification and a non-seizure of the vehicle is OK. ..............."What is good for the goose is also good for the gender".
Shouldn't the punishment suit the crime? Or you think this wasn't a big deal? It is people like you who want little or nothing done to discourage reckless driving. I am shocked that the court would send him for recertification instead of seizing his licence and banning him from driving for at least 6 months. In developed countries he would be facing several charges, a longer sentence plus a fine and license suspension.........all based on the possible carnage. On"what's hood for the goose is good for the gander".... that happens all over the world.
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by Segzy23: 10:11pm On Jan 10, 2013
In fact, this is what I have been calling for. We cannot do it all in one day, but have to start from somewhere. Imagine driving a truck that could easily kill all the occupants of a mini Bus, car or even a big bus against traffic on the third mainland bridge. It is right they punish such actions with severe penalties. Imagine travelling from Ilorin to Lagos on the new Express that was recently completed between Ilorin to Ogbomosho, you're travelling at 120 - 140 KPH and you're going up hill, suddenly you find some of these crazy drivers, driving big trucks against traffic, they should be apprehended and banned. We cannot allow such to continue with the high number of auto accidents in the country.

It is time drivers took responsibilities for their driving. They don't have to be in an accident before they are punished for dangerous driving. If you drive a truck or even a car against traffic on the highway/motorway in any advance country, you would be taken to court and be prosecuted. You would inevitably be banned for sometime because it is a major offence.

I hope this serves as a deterrent to anyone wishing to wilfully disobey traffic rules
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by sammhi(m): 10:45am On Jan 11, 2013
This is all staged managed and done to court public attention . Sept 18 2012 was when the 3rd mainland bridge was partially closed and all vehicles drive against one way(as permitted by the authorities)
there was no sign to show this except u live in Lagos. LASTMA men prevent the one way driving until about 4 or 5 pm so if you are not conversant with these unwritten law, you may get caught by this unjust 3rd mainland closure rule.
Before we castigate anyone, let it be known that there is no way ANYONE can drive against traffic on 3rd mainland bridge. the judge is just acting out a script as i i do know that i have never seen anyone drive against traffic on that bridge even when Lagos was chaotic 1998-2001.
Lagos state has quickly dispense with this judgement, good. what about the lekki toll court case?...it is in the cooler. God will visit his wrath on u fasola and your crooked judges.
Re: Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 11, 2013

Right, hes not a criminal until he kills someone. And, if he had killed someone because he travelled in the wrong direction he shoulda gotten a fine too? Oh, wait he hasnt killed anyone yet so they shoulda waited until he sent someone to the hereafter.

Yobe state hasnt seceded from the country, when he gets out he should go back to his home state and endanger people's lives all he wants, I doubt Latsma will go outside their jurisdiction to try to enforce their laws in other states. If he chooses to remain in Lagos, he should obey the laws.

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious Photo Of A Nigeria Policeman Turned Slave To A Chinese Man. / Dear Nigerians: “corruption” Is Not The Problem And It Never Has Been! / GEJ's Aerotropolis: Murtala Mohammed Airport Terminal Challenge...APC Notified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.