Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? (6162 Views)

Nigeria Society Of Engineers(nse),coren Members And Intending Members / 20 Ways To Improve The Quality Of Your Life / How Do I Become A Member Of The Nigerian Society Of Engineers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by jechona(m): 11:48am On Jan 10, 2013
Its now like nokia ringtone in Nigeria that Nigerian engineering grauduates are paper engineers which is not appealing to the ears of every body except those who's wish is for Nigeria never to develop.
But I think that NUC have a great role to play in solving this problem.
Please can we share are views on what NUC can do to help engineering in Nigeria.
For me, I feel the educational curriculum needs to be reviewed to suit the needs of Nigeria.
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by chiboy441(m): 12:25pm On Jan 10, 2013
For them to help Nigerian Engineer, there most be free admission to larger companies, where does young engineers can take good practicals. Engineer have to do with practicals not paper work. Here in Ukraine and Poland, there Govt. provide ways of training young engineers, to develop what he or she have to offer. And that is why you see that there technology keep improving day by day. But for we Nigerians, the poor once dont have say or changes to bring out what they have. But the rich that have the link dont know what they are doing. "I think our improvement in engineering works or technology are in the hands of the poor ones " because they have alots to deliver but no chance given sad sad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by seuncyber(m): 2:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
is it possible in naija sha
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by stacomaster(m): 2:30pm On Jan 11, 2013
Third 2 C0mment
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by brightk(m): 2:36pm On Jan 11, 2013
stacomaster: Third 2 C0mment

wetin u come comment.... now... mayb na free internet access u get...stop this childish act... u nor know ur age again if u dont remember ask ur mama or go bak 2 ur certificate
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
By sending them back to school.
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by NoContract(m): 2:40pm On Jan 11, 2013
[size=18pt]Buy buying them Keke Napep! and Agege Bread shocked shocked shocked[/size]
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by glimpse(f): 2:58pm On Jan 11, 2013
NoContract: [size=18pt]Buy buying them Keke Napep! and Agege Bread shocked shocked shocked[/size]

Buy buying? I see you are an engineer. Your moniker says it all.
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by manny4life(m): 3:08pm On Jan 11, 2013
Theories + real life applicable experience + Research = Quality improvement.

I do believe that Nigeria has good teaching abilities, I mean, they push their student beyond learning limits (which I do not advise), but lack the Lab approach + research funding. If Govt spends money and improve, quality of education will.

2 Likes

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Regiblinkz(m): 3:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
brightk:

wetin u come comment.... now... mayb na free internet access u get...stop this childish act... u nor know ur age again if u dont remember ask ur mama or go bak 2 ur certificate
STFU old hag...always forming what ur not
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by babanne(m): 3:30pm On Jan 11, 2013
@op.
interesting topic to me as im a an engineering trainer in higher institution.Let me give a few suggestions.

1. admission process into engineering is flawed and has to be corrected.students without good knowledge of further
maths,mathematics, physics and english language should not be admitted.To produce good engineers requires to admit good
learners into institutions. Engineering is a difficult field of study.

2. NUC should make a law through the national assembly making it compulsory for engineering companies and industries to take
graduates of engineering on compulsory 1 year internship like that of medical students' housemanship.

3. NUC with other bodies should create/make engineering salary scale. the payment to engineers should be special like the
medical salary.else if engineers still collect N20,000 in a month whereas an accountant in the same establishment collects
N150,000, you will not expect the best coming out of the engineers.

I rest my case for now.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by abrat: 3:31pm On Jan 11, 2013
Reviewing the curricula is one thing, availability and easy access to industries is another thing. I think COREN and NSE has a lot to do. In UK for instance, you can be working as a student Engr and at the same time going to school.with that you will be exposed to practical applications of the theoretical knowledge you have.In Nigeria, they teach you all the fourier analysis and laplace transforms of this world without practicals. may God help us.

3 Likes

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Walexz02(m): 3:50pm On Jan 11, 2013
....not only the Engineers are facing this problen but others too.. I think what the government should do is to review the teaching method in our Universities by making theory and practicals 50/50 and then fund the Universities with appropriet money for carrying out research on technology...
Again, if the government can do this and promote the use of locally produce goods, you will be amazed of what Nigerians can produce. I tell ya.
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by mencer(m): 4:12pm On Jan 11, 2013
the best of our institutions of higher learning are decades behind in science and technology.
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 11, 2013
babanne: @op.
interesting topic to me as im a an engineering trainer in higher institution.Let me give a few suggestions.

1. admission process into engineering is flawed and has to be corrected.students without good knowledge of further
maths,mathematics, physics and english language should not be admitted.To produce good engineers requires to admit good

2. NUC should make a law through the national assembly making it compulsory for engineering companies and industries to take
graduates of engineering on compulsory 1 year internship like that of medical students' housemanship.

3. NUC with other bodies should create/make engineering salary scale. the payment to engineers should be special like the
medical salary.else if engineers still collect N20,000 in a month whereas an accountant in the same establishment collects

I rest my case for now.

Guy, i dont agree with you....money shouldn't be a motivating factor for young engineers rather, the passion for the profession. I am an engineer and i remember in 2008 when i met a top member of NSE with a proposal which she directed me to address to the secretary general of the body. The proposal was for ways to improve the Nigerian engineer. I propose that the school curricula for engineering students should be reduced to 3yrs in universities after which successful students (that passed a general exam set by NSE/COREN) wld be admitted into an engineering institute (a multipurpose engineering learning center that is fully equipped by govt for all engineering fields where students will specialize in at least 1 field) and managed by NSE/COREN. The institute should be large enough to train at least 10,000 engineers yearly and the duration of the program in the institute can be either 2 or 3years and should be at least 90% practical. The NSE woman asked me if i have seen it work in any other country and i told her NO cos i just had the idea...and that ws the end of that proposal embarassed

I believe that method will work.

2 Likes

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Zechy09: 4:52pm On Jan 11, 2013
I think i agree with you that when money is the motivating factor, then you will not have good engineers. The difference between a nigerian trained engineer and foreign trained engineer is the passion... nothing else! I did an engineering masters abroad and had a lot of engineering undergraduate friends and when they talk, i see so much passion as they would be reading how different systems work e.g pressure systems, gear boxes etc.
You will hear them talk about modifications to these systems over the years. It is not by training but by interest in what they do.
One other myth is that they don't do the kind of calculations we do. Please they do the same old calculations! They come out with more knowledge mainly out of personal reseach.
My two cents!
wise_many2k:

Guy, i dont agree with you....money shouldn't be a motivating factor for young engineers rather, the passion for the profession. I am an engineer and i remember in 2008 when i met a top member of NSE with a proposal which she directed me to address to the secretary general of the body. The proposal was for ways to improve the Nigerian engineer. I propose that the school curricula for engineering students should be reduced to 3yrs in universities after which successful students (that passed a general exam set by NSE/COREN) wld be admitted into an engineering institute (a multipurpose engineering learning center that is fully equipped by govt for all engineering fields where students will specialize in at least 1 field) and managed by NSE/COREN. The institute should be large enough to train at least 10,000 engineers yearly and the duration of the program in the institute can be either 2 or 3years and should be at least 90% practical. The NSE woman asked me if i have seen it work in any other country and i told her NO cos i just had the idea...and that ws the end of that proposal embarassed

1 Like

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by kumbalo(m): 5:10pm On Jan 11, 2013
wise_many2k:

i had a similar idea too. Yours is better

1 Like

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by arewatech(m): 5:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
wise_many2k:

Lol... The woman is wrong. Your idea will work
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by donpeluchi(m): 5:32pm On Jan 11, 2013
the problem is that government is not investing enough in education. why is it that nigerian students do well abroad but when they are back home they have no passion
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 11, 2013
The first Issue lies in the design of the programme, why should Engineering be 5 yeaRs and is still poor, when every other country studies it for 4.

The second issue lies in the academic staff:
This pervades the whole of the Nigerian academic setting.

Lecturers that are not researching simply regurgitate trash that they do not understand for students. Sometime, they teach theories that are out of date. So Employment of lecturers and their promotion as well as pay should be based on research worth.
To achieve that, universities should be weened off government subventions, they should fund them selves. At least 50 percent of govt funding should be converted to research funds targeting specific developments and to be awarded to researchers who are making reasonable progress in the areas. Universities that want such funds should work on having researchers with such reasonable research prowess to attract those funding.

About a quarter of the current govt. funding for universities should be used by FG to guarantee students loan. And yes school fees will be high, but their will be student loans. Students will also realise the burden of their responsibilities and leave cultism. Also the parochial politicisation of academic activities in schools will vanish, as the Universities will be struggling to meet their financial needs. They will be rather looking for good research and ideas rather than snuffing them out in mediocrity as is currently the case. Also the best Universities will be those that are able to find innovative ways to work and partner with industries.

Last, the idea of individual projects in Engineering should become only complimentary. Real engineering problems cannot be compartmentalised, hence students' project should take an integrated approach involving students of various disciplines and across departments. They should be relevant to industrial needs. Also they should involve both junior and senior students in different roles. Engineering students should participate in design groups right from their freshman years to graduation in different roles. The fifth year currently wasted, should be combined or utilised to let the graduate students return to their schools with an industry relevant project as a requirement for membership of the NSE. Hence at any point in time, school projects will involve a graduated student as industry liaison, some final years for design, some third years for number crunching and constructions, some second years for apparatus setups, monitoring, etc. Some first years as errand boys and girls.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
wise_many2k:

Why do a first training that is not Adequate. the second training is a waste of time, do the first training properly and devoid of the over centralisation we suffer from in Nigeria.
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Kei144(m): 6:29pm On Jan 11, 2013
The problem is not NUC and NUC cannot solve the problem. The problem is with engineering lecturers. How many engineering lecturers have ever practically gone through the product development process? Engineering is about wealth creation; how many engineering lecturers have ever created anything that functions? You cannot teach what you do not know.

Nigerian industries have little to offer to an engineering trainee. Most of the industries are not into engineering design. What engineers do in these industries are mostly operation, maintenance, sales and administration. In the industries you see engineering at work, but you don't see how to establish similar kind of engineering elsewhere. Why can't Nigerian engineers be entrusted with a second Niger bridge? The reason is simply that even Nigerian engineers that work with companies like Julius Berger may have been involved in the construction of big bridges, they may not have participated in the design effort.

Why were Biafran scientists and engineers able to do what they did during the war? I happened to have interacted with old engineers years ago. I found out that before the Biafran war, Europe exposed African to real engineering. Unfortunately, the performance of African engineers and scientists during the Biafran war made Europe to limit the exposure they could give to Africans. Soviet Union built what they called "Friendship Universities" where they kept Africans who were there on scholarship. Their own people studied in different universities. Universities in the Netherlands make sure that Africans learn practically nothing, even though they award great degrees to them.

Even if the government were to buy engineering teaching and learning equipment for the nation's universities, most lecturers cannot use them. Even if they are trained to use them, many will not apply themselves to do the amount of work required, because Nigeria has formed a culture of getting money while doing next to no work. Actually, there is a lot that could be done with the amount of funds presently available to universities, but a great chunk of the funds are lost to corruption.

The only solution to Nigeria's problems is end time, which is about to begin.

http://www.cogwriter.com/news/prophecy/catholic-and-islamic-prophecy-in-the-news-a-clash-after-2013/
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 11, 2013
babanne: @op.

I rest my case for now.

Your idea 2. And 3. are no goes. Pays should be based on demand and performance. We are here in Nigeria complaining of no work, while oil companies are employing foreigners to solve their problems, cause their are many things we can not do. Take the simple problem of rain water eroding merely standard roads, we have lived with it for years yet FG is still paying Julius Berger out of their nose to construct worthwhile roads and solve same problems. Our Civil Engineers are eating fat on politics and cultism in schools. Engineers in Nigeria are not lacking opportunity, rather capability. So I support no laws on pay or internships.
Even with a good training almost all Engineering companies in the world run graduate Engineering programmes, because industry wide engineering is based on codes and experience, not on first principles. Most companies already have such provisions for their young employees.

The University training is merely to train an Engineering mind, which it is not doing.

1 Like

Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 11, 2013
Kei144: The problem is not NUC and NUC cannot solve the problem. The problem is with engineering lecturers. How many engineering lecturers have ever practically gone through the product development process? Engineering is about wealth creation; how many engineering lecturers have ever created anything that functions? You cannot teach what you do not know.

Nigerian industries have little to offer to an engineering trainee. Most of the industries are not into engineering design. What engineers do in these industries are mostly operation, maintenance, sales and administration. In the industries you see engineering at work, but you don't see how to establish similar kind of engineering elsewhere. Why can't Nigerian engineers be entrusted with a second Niger bridge? The reason is simply that even Nigerian engineers that work with companies like Julius Berger may have been involved in the construction of big bridges, they may not have participated in the design effort.

Why were Biafran scientists and engineers able to do what they did during the war? I happened to have interacted with old engineers years ago. I found out that before the Biafran war, Europe exposed African to real engineering. Unfortunately, the performance of African engineers and scientists during the Biafran war made Europe to limit the exposure they could give to Africans. Soviet Union built what they called "Friendship Universities" where they kept Africans who were there on scholarship. Their own people studied in different universities. Universities in the Netherlands make sure that Africans learn practically nothing, even though they award great degrees to them.

Even if the government were to buy engineering teaching and learning equipment for the nation's universities, most lecturers cannot use them. Even if they are trained to use them, many will not apply themselves to do the amount of work required, because Nigeria has formed a culture of getting money while doing next to no work. Actually, there is a lot that could be done with the amount of funds presently available to universities, but a great chunk of the funds are lost to corruption.

The only solution to Nigeria's problems is end time, which is about to begin.

http://www.cogwriter.com/news/prophecy/catholic-and-islamic-prophecy-in-the-news-a-clash-after-2013/
Biafrans built what they did out of political necessity which provided resources for the rightly trained Engineers. most of those Engineers studied outside Nigeria, at a time universities where rare. How ever now there Are poorly trained Engineers, and at same time the political machinery and culture is consumed by importation of solutions. As for your conspiracy theory, that's a lame excuse for laziness!
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 11, 2013
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by AjanleKoko: 6:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
On this one, I'll have to quote the Scriptures:

Psalm 11:3- If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

You can't look at engineering in isolation; you need to look at higher education in its entirety. Over the years, due to the deliberate attempts by government to bring tertiary education closer to the masses, the value of tertiary education has been systematically eroded. Unfortunate, but true.

To maintain quality, you need to invest a lot of money in the system, which government never intended to spend, despite their well-meaning intentions. Institutions and classrooms without trained teachers and research, as well as a total disconnect between the academic and industrial environments, have guaranteed for sure that engineering education in Nigeria has eroded significantly in value. The value chain simply does not exist.
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by jechona(m): 7:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
donpeluchi: the problem is that government is not investing enough in education. why is it that nigerian students do well abroad but when they are back home they have no passion

My brother is it that the government is not investing enough in education or the little that is invested in education is not properly utilised by our greedy ministry of education staff and university staff?
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by jechona(m): 7:47pm On Jan 11, 2013
KenGali: The first Issue lies in the design of the programme, why should Engineering be 5 yeaRs and is still poor, when every other country studies it for 4.

The second issue lies in the academic staff:
This pervades the whole of the Nigerian academic setting.

Lecturers that are not researching simply regurgitate trash that they do not understand for students. Sometime, they teach theories that are out of date. So Employment of lecturers and their promotion as well as pay should be based on research worth.
To achieve that, universities should be weened off government subventions, they should fund them selves. At least 50 percent of govt funding should be converted to research funds targeting specific developments and to be awarded to researchers who are making reasonable progress in the areas. Universities that want such funds should work on having researchers with such reasonable research prowess to attract those funding.

About a quarter of the current govt. funding for universities should be used by FG to guarantee students loan. And yes school fees will be high, but their will be student loans. Students will also realise the burden of their responsibilities and leave cultism. Also the parochial politicisation of academic activities in schools will vanish, as the Universities will be struggling to meet their financial needs. They will be rather looking for good research and ideas rather than snuffing them out in mediocrity as is currently the case. Also the best Universities will be those that are able to find innovative ways to work and partner with industries.

Last, the idea of individual projects in Engineering should become only complimentary. Real engineering problems cannot be compartmentalised, hence students' project should take an integrated approach involving students of various disciplines and across departments. They should be relevant to industrial needs. Also they should involve both junior and senior students in different roles. Engineering students should participate in design groups right from their freshman years to graduation in different roles. The fifth year currently wasted, should be combined or utilised to let the graduate students return to their schools with an industry relevant project as a requirement for membership of the NSE. Hence at any point in time, school projects will involve a graduated student as industry liaison, some final years for design, some third years for number crunching and constructions, some second years for apparatus setups, monitoring, etc. Some first years as errand boys and girls.

Brother, I sincerely appreaciate your contribution, its a very nice strategy to involve every student in school in a project and will also serve as a source of inspiration to the younger students.
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by AK481(m): 7:54pm On Jan 11, 2013
You must read this!!!
How will a medical doctor be without workmanship ....the engineeringlike,a theoritical doctor

How will a lawyer be without law school...a theoritical lawyer

How you now seen the benefit of after degree practical training.

Engineering is what it is because of lack of practical training and ill or no moltivation,Imagine naptin charging a fresh graduate of power engineering 1million for a 6months course,wat is the diff btw naptin and luth.if naptin could train power graduates free then power graduate will be great.

So,the govt should set up a training center for graduates in engineering after their degree.why should a graduate of engrn even look for job?
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by ayobase(m): 9:06pm On Jan 11, 2013
I wouldn't go into engineering terminologies right now!

As an engineer, we all should know that its a must we join the NSE and COREN for authentication.

First of all, government needs to review the scope behind NYSC.

We are talking about vision 2020, and its obvious that the engineers have more roles to play in fulfilling the vision!

The medical doctors work in hospoitals and health care centres during the period of serving, and being paid well. What happened to the engineers that they can't be posted to engineerings firms as professionals.....left for me they are all prefessional courses....an engineer had a approximately one year of Industrial Training before graduating....maybe our government should start from there, and not demoting them to teachers in some rural environments....its so degrading as an engineer....wasting of resources has become our slogan in this nation!
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by ayobase(m): 9:09pm On Jan 11, 2013
AK 48: You must read this!!!
How will a medical doctor be without workmanship ....the engineeringlike,a theoritical doctor

How will a lawyer be without law school...a theoritical lawyer

How you now seen the benefit of after degree practical training.

Engineering is what it is because of lack of practical training and ill or no moltivation,Imagine naptin charging a fresh graduate of power engineering 1million for a 6months course,wat is the diff btw naptin and luth.if naptin could train power graduates free then power graduate will be great.

So,the govt should set up a training center for graduates in engineering after their degree.why should a graduate of engrn even look for job?

Of the five years spent before graduating, what about the one year spent on Industrial training!
Re: How Can NUC Improve The Quality Of Engineers? by Ad4(m): 9:40pm On Jan 11, 2013
I am an Engineer so can speak for Engineers. In my own opinion, there is nothing wrong with our university training. You can say it should be reduced to 4years which is a good proposal. The only issue we have in Nigeria is practical training. All over the world, emphasis a laid on practical work in and after the university but in Nigeria,how many companies are willing to train you and how many young engineers are willing to learn?
There is little or no committment from government and even lesser committment from the student.This get rich quick thing is really affecting the younger generation.
When I graduted, I started with N20K but didn't care.My emphasis was on getting the experience.Now I have the experience even as a consultant and the salary is over 10x N20k. So please younger engineers,get committed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker / The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech / Industrial And Production Engineering Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.