Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,990 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:00 AM

20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo (27542 Views)

Wives Of Alaafin Of Oyo Take A Selfie Together / Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo / Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates His 77th Birthday With Youngest Wife (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Iyaniwura123: 3:40pm On Jan 10, 2013
THE ALAAFIN OF OYO

-His Majesty, Alaiyeluwa Oba Dr. Làmídì Oláyíwolá Atanda Adéyemí III 

1-According to him, the Old Oyo Empire existed without break for 600 years. That's quite impressive, you know. Especially when you realize that many of the most popular empires, like the famed British Empire, did not last half of that.

2-He was born on 15th October, 1938, and that makes him 74 years old. He was selected among other contestants to become king in 1968 but the government of the day refused and he was not crowned until January 1971, he was working as an insurance clerk then.

3-Aláàfin means one who owns the palace, aáfin.  It can also mean Lord of the Palace, as it is from the aafin that he lords his authority over his people.

4- In times past, the Alaafin was an absolute ruler. Other names for the Aláàfin include Kábíyèsí (the King No One Can Question) Iku Baba Yeye (One Who Can Command Death or Pronounce It Upon His Father or Mother Or He Who Is Mother & Father To Death), Alashe (He Who Possesses Authority), Ekeji Orisha (Second-in-Command to the gods) NB: Translations can vary slightly.

5-Whoever enters the king's courtyard must remove the shoes. Everyone except the Alaafin must have bare feet in his greeting courtyard.

6-The Kabiyesi's eldest daughter is name Arewa, meaning The Beautiful One in Yoruba.

7-He contested with 10 other people for the position of the Alaafin. The contest started in 1968 and did not end until 1970. That's around the time of the Nigerian Civil War. He was declared winner three times but the government initially rejected the ruling of the Oyomesi on all the three occasions. The Oyomesi advises the Alaafin and is the highest decision-making body in the kingdom.

8-He is a boxer, and was a champion in those days (he still has his punching bag in the courtyard) and his favorite meals are amala (yam flour), iyan (pounded yam), abula soup and ogi (pap).

9-In terms of religion, he is a practising Muslim but describes himself as being liberal and a free mixer who was raised up in a strict Christian home and also went to a Catholic school.

10-He has a pond in the palace where he keeps gold fish, and there is also a tortoise in the courtyard said to be hundreds of years old.

11-At 74, he still does rope skipping. Kabiyesi o!

12-The Alaafin can communicate with the deities like Sango (the god of thunder) in their own language. I wonder how that is done. #Mysterythings.

13-His own father, Adéníran Adéyemí II was the Alaafin for 10 years (1945-1955) until he was forced into exile by the political party of Chief Obáfémi Awólówò, the Action Group in 1956. While his father was on exile, he was sent to live with the Alake of Egbaland, Oba Oladapo Ademola, the father of the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Adetokunbo Ademola.

14-He was the first Yoruba monarch to become the Chancellor of Uthman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto.

15-There are 24 seats in the royal chamber of his Palace, 12 on each side.

16-As at the time of writing this, news streamed in that 21 ancient rooms in the Palace were destroyed by fire caused by an electrical surge. Ile Alaafin to jo, ewa lo bu kun.

17-On his controversial relationship with the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, Olubuse II, he says: Let me put it this way: My relation with traditional rulers generally is cordial.  But since you singled out the Ooni of Ife, you should have your reasons.  I think he is in a better position to answer the question.  For me, I have no problem with him at all as long as everybody knows his limit of authority.

18. At a point, the Alaafin delayed the appointment of a new Chief Imam for the kingdom because members of the Ajokidero family producing the new Imam were very bitterly opposed and critical of the Alaafin during the conflict between the Oro cult and Muslims in Oyo Town.

19. He is a recipient of a national honour, the Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR). He installed the late Bashorun Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola (MKO) as the last Aare Ona Kakanfo (Field Marshal or Generalissimo) of Yorubaland on 14th January, 1988 and also the talented singer, Queen Salawa Abeni whom he crowned the Queen of Waka Music (the Golden Voice of Africa) in 1992. Both truly deserve the honours (I'm actually listening to Salawa's Cheer Up writing this...lol!)

20. He is the 43rd Alaafin of Oyo. Alaafins are buried at the Royal Burial Ground called the BARA.

You can enjoy a video of Yoruba traditional dancers here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=790VfEynfSs

You can also enjoy more of his pictures and get more details in this link:
http://iyaniwura.com/20-interesting-facts-about-the-alaafin-of-oyo/
Thanks for your time.
Iyaniwura.

14 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by momodub: 6:20pm On Jan 10, 2013
thats intresting
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Scarpon(m): 6:21pm On Jan 10, 2013
1st hahaha
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Scarpon(m): 6:22pm On Jan 10, 2013
when is nairaland going to post 72 facts about me *wipes tears **

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Suntemi(m): 6:26pm On Jan 10, 2013
Most of the stuff listed ain't really interesting to me. Eg number 3,5 and 15.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by samnugba(m): 6:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
that's good to know
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by SELFWORTH: 6:29pm On Jan 10, 2013
The ultimate King of Kings is The Almighty Father, God Of Heaven.

All other kings are the works of men. Adulation of human beings .

One day, he too we will go and join the others before him. He is no different to you and I.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by SELFWORTH: 6:32pm On Jan 10, 2013
Scarpon: 1st hahaha

Is there a prize for commenting first or why all these childishness to be recognised as poster of the first comment.

5 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by KINGwax(m): 6:38pm On Jan 10, 2013
sun_temi: Most of the stuff listed ain't really interesting to me. Eg number 3,5 and 15.
congratulations

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by KINGwax(m): 6:39pm On Jan 10, 2013
SELFWORTH: The ultimate King of Kings is The Almighty Father, God Of Heaven.

All other kings are the works of men.
i cldnt read where he said he's God

2 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 10, 2013

When the likes of Jonathan and other fat-belly politicians can't even trek a 100 feet.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by DaGeeNius1(m): 6:42pm On Jan 10, 2013
Da Gr8 Alaafin!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 10, 2013
SELFWORTH: The ultimate King of Kings is The Almighty Father, God Of Heaven.

All other kings are the works of men.

If he's god,then he won't be a muslim worshipping Allah.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Youngartist(m): 6:45pm On Jan 10, 2013
Ìyániwúrà123: THE ALAAFIN OF OYO

-His Majesty, Alaiyeluwa Oba Dr. Làmídì Oláyíwolá Atanda Adéyemí III 

1-According to him, the Old Oyo Empire existed without break for 600 years. That's quite impressive, you know. Especially when you realize that many of the most popular empires, like the famed British Empire, did not last half of that.

2-He was born on 15th October, 1938, and that makes him 74 years old. He became king in 1970 at the age of 29, he was working as an insurance clerk then.

3-Aláàfin means one who owns the palace, aáfin.  It can also mean Lord of the Palace, as it is from the aafin that he lords his authority over his people.

4- In times past, the Alaafin was an absolute ruler. Other names for the Aláàfin include Kábíyèsí (the King No One Can Question) Iku Baba Yeye (One Who Can Command Death or Pronounce It Upon His Father or Mother), Alashe (He Who Possesses Authority), Ekeji Orisha (Second-in-Command to the gods)

5-Whoever enters the king's courtyard must remove the shoes. Everyone except the Alaafin must have bare feet in his greeting courtyard.

6-The Kabiyesi's eldest daughter is name Arewa, meaning The Beautiful One in Yoruba.

7-He contested with 10 other people for the position of the Alaafin. The contest started in 1968 and did not end until 1970. That's around the time of the Nigerian Civil War. He was declared winner three times but the government initially rejected the ruling of the Oyomesi on all the three occasions. The Oyomesi advises the Alaafin and is the highest decision-making body in the kingdom.

8-He is a boxer, and was a champion in those days (he still has his punching bag in the courtyard) and his favorite meals are amala (yam flour), iyan (pounded yam), abula soup and ogi (pap).

9-In terms of religion, he is a practising Muslim but describes himself as being liberal and a free mixer who was raised up in a strict Christian home and also went to a Catholic school.

10-He has a pond in the palace where he keeps gold fish, and there is also a tortoise in the courtyard said to be hundreds of years old.

12-The Alaafin can communicate with the deities like Sango (the god of thunder) in their own language. I wonder how that is done. #Mysterythings.

13-His own father, Adéníran Adéyemí II was the Alaafin for 10 years (1945-1955) until he was forced into exile by the political party of Chief Obáfémi Awólówò, the Action Group in 1956. While his father was on exile, he was sent to live with the Alake of Egbaland, Oba Oladapo Ademola, the father of the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Adetokunbo Ademola.

14-He was the first Yoruba monarch to become the Chancellor of Uthman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto.

15-There are 24 seats in the royal chamber of his Palace, 12 on each side.

16-As at the time of writing this, news streamed in that 21 ancient rooms in the Palace were destroyed by fire caused by an electrical surge. Ile Alaafin to jo, ewa lo bu kun.

17-On his controversial relationship with the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, Olubuse II, he says: Let me put it this way: My relation with traditional rulers generally is cordial.  But since you singled out the Ooni of Ife, you should have your reasons.  I think he is in a better position to answer the question.  For me, I have no problem with him at all as long as everybody knows his limit of authority.

18. At a point, the Alaafin delayed the appointment of a new Chief Imam for the kingdom because members of the Ajokidero family producing the new Imam were very bitterly opposed and critical of the Alaafin during the conflict between the Oro cult and Muslims in Oyo Town.

19. He is a recipient of a national honour, the Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR). He installed the late Bashorun Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola (MKO) as the last Aare Ona Kakanfo (Field Marshal or Generalissimo) of Yorubaland on 14th January, 1988 and also the talented singer, Queen Salawa Abeni whom he crowned the Queen of Waka Music (the Golden Voice of Africa) in 1992. Both truly deserve the honours (I'm actually listening to Salawa's Cheer Up writing this...lol!)

20. He is the 43rd Alaafin of Oyo. Alaafins are buried at the Royal Burial Ground called the BARA.

You can enjoy a video of Yoruba traditional dancers here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=790VfEynfSs

You can also enjoy more of his pictures and get more details in this link:
http://iyaniwura.com/20-interesting-facts-about-the-alaafin-of-oyo/
Thanks for your time.
Iyaniwura.
gud
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:45pm On Jan 10, 2013
nice! SALUT EKEJI ORISHA! cool
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by dickhardener: 6:47pm On Jan 10, 2013
I never knew the man was originally very dark skinned. WoW!!!

3 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by imeller: 6:47pm On Jan 10, 2013
THE EMBLEMS

The Sekere (traditional percussion instrument) - originated from Oyo

The Lion - symbolises the fearless nature of the Oyos

The Tortoise (Ajapa) - the royal pet, symbolises longetivity and reselience

The Bata or Sango drum - is associated with Sango, the deified 3rd Alaafin of Oyo who is worshiped as the god of Thunder and Lightning

The Equestrian figure (the warrior on horseback) - symbolises the military expansion of the Oyo Empire through the use of Calvary from the 14th to the 17th century.

Official site of the Alaafin of Oyo: http://www.alaafin-oyo.org/main/

3 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Rooneyboy(m): 6:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
for crying out loud, what kinda thread is this

Funny enough it made it to the front page.

NL is FINISHED.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by abysirius(m): 6:51pm On Jan 10, 2013
Nice 1! A lot to learn and vry interesting...
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by dayokanu(m): 6:53pm On Jan 10, 2013
Iku Baba Yeye Alaafin Ikeji orisha

I knew he was a boxer and I heard in the 90's every Saturday morning he jogs from his palace to the stadium with all his children

Iyaniwura are you from Oyo Alaafin Ojo pa sekere Omo Atiba

6 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2013
Rooneyboy: for crying out loud, what kinda thread is this

Funny enough it made it to the front page.

NL is FINISHED.

Bounce next time and stop tripping here.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by folahann(m): 7:01pm On Jan 10, 2013
Interesting facts.
Really good to know.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 10, 2013
IKU BABA YEYE!!!
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Iyaniwura123: 7:06pm On Jan 10, 2013
No Sir/Ma, I am not from Oyo but my great-grandmother (of blessed memory) had her roots in the Palace where she was a princess. She was from Oyo gangan so I guess I can lay some claim along that line...lol! She had the same marks with the Alaafin.
dayokanu: Iku Baba Yeye Alaafin Ikeji orisha

I knew he was a boxer and I heard in the 90's every Saturday morning he jogs from his palace to the stadium with all his children

Iyaniwura are you from Oyo Alaafin Ojo pa sekere Omo Atiba
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by juman(m): 7:06pm On Jan 10, 2013
Another man of IBB generation. grin
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by dridowu: 7:08pm On Jan 10, 2013
Let me 1st b4 komet
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by baby124: 7:14pm On Jan 10, 2013
And we have some 29yr olds here on NL causing trouble every day. While their age mates are becoming kings. Did he bleach? What a waste. He was very handsome darkskinned guy. undecided. He has lived a life full of achievments no doubt!
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by fuqua: 7:16pm On Jan 10, 2013
@ youngartist, you are simply the smartest living being alive today!!!!!!
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by vanstanzy(m): 7:21pm On Jan 10, 2013
Interesting! But i sincerely think,

12-The Alaafin can communicate with the deities like Sango (the god of thunder) in their own language. I wonder how that is done.

are totally impossible, 12 especially. Fable gist!

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by vanstanzy(m): 7:29pm On Jan 10, 2013
Scarpon: 1st hahaha

Nope, u are Second!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tor Tiv Breaks With Tradition, Declines To Be Sworn-in Before “traditional God” / Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts African Ambassadors In His Palace - Photos / Are The Idomas Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.