Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,769 members, 7,798,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo (27572 Views)

Wives Of Alaafin Of Oyo Take A Selfie Together / Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo / Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates His 77th Birthday With Youngest Wife (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by arbitrage: 7:31pm On Jan 10, 2013
please help me, how can someone that was born in 1938 be 29 years of age in1970 when he became king? i thought he wouldn't have choice but to be 32 years?

i somehow do not agree with the translation you gave iku baba yeye. it sounds like you gave transliteration instead of translation. are you sure it is not something like someone who has power or control over death as in he's father and mother over death?

lastly, you should not compare oyo empire with or to british empire because even the disintegrated, dysfunctional and remaining portion of british empire is still bigger and still commanding more respect and influence than the old oyo empire before it was conquered or rendered impotent. or what do you think?

3 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 10, 2013
good one bro. quite educative.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by shadrach77: 7:34pm On Jan 10, 2013
let me add another two;
(21) The singer Tillaman happens to be his son
(22) This is the second time his palace would be burnt. His palace was also burnt in 1990
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Omexonomy: 7:44pm On Jan 10, 2013
SELFWORTH: The ultimate King of Kings is The Almighty Father, God Of Heaven.

All other kings are the works of men.
but he collected bribe in form hot tea from abacha so that some YORUBA generals could be use for making mince meat.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Omexonomy: 7:46pm On Jan 10, 2013
Graceland: good one bro. quite educative.
but he collected bribe in form hot tea from abacha so that some YORUBA generals could be use for making mince meat.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Omexonomy: 7:50pm On Jan 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
nice! SALUT EKEJI ORISHA! cool
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by TCD: 7:51pm On Jan 10, 2013
Kai, even our own Alaafin is practicing a foreign religion? What a disgrace. E no go better for the Arabs and westerners wey colonise us erase our rich history.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Omexonomy: 7:54pm On Jan 10, 2013
dick hardener: I never knew the man was originally very dark skinned. WoW!!!
no mind them na them make bleaching cream dey expensive. but he collected bribe in form hot tea from abacha so that some YORUBA generals could be use for making mince meat.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Jbaby2(f): 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2013
Interesting
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by arbitrage: 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2013
TCD: Kai, even our own Alaafin is practicing a foreign religion? What a disgrace. E no go better for the Arabs and westerners wey colonise us erase our rich history.

i hope you are not posting this comment using the ipad and internet of the cursed westerners and arabs but with our cultural charcoal? or else you will be like hypocritical fela, who professed the best of african culture but used the western saxophone, piano and never dressed in dansiki and sokoto of yoruba but holding microphone made by the foreigners.

3 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Jbaby2(f): 8:08pm On Jan 10, 2013
[b][/b]Hi Nlanders, its gud 2 be here. Ds my 1st time of commenting. Lv ya all
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by arbitrage: 8:13pm On Jan 10, 2013
J.baby:
[b][/b]Hi Nlanders, its gud 2 be here. Ds my 1st time of commenting. Lv ya all

no this is your second comment. your first time is about 3 posts above around 8:06pm
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:22pm On Jan 10, 2013
TCD: Kai, even our own Alaafin is practicing a foreign religion? What a disgrace. E no go better for the Arabs and westerners wey colonise us erase our rich history.

[size=16pt]BTW IS IT JUST ME OR HAS ANYONE NOTICED HOW OUR RULERS WILL MENTION ALL FOREIGN RELIGIONS TO SHOW THEIR "SECULARITY" BUT WILL FAIL TO MENTION OUR NIGERIAN RELIGIONS??!!!!![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

This Oba talked about christianity and islam but not 1 OPEN mention about IFa-Orisha. though i still salut and respect him , and especially hi good intervention in the Oyo Festival against the muslim unbelievers.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by TCD: 8:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
arbitrage:

i hope you are not posting this comment using the ipad and internet of the cursed westerners and arabs but with our cultural charcoal? or else you will be like hypocritical fela, who professed the best of african culture but used the western saxophone, piano and never dressed in dansiki and sokoto of yoruba but holding microphone made by the foreigners.

So they had to colonise us, wipe out our history and cultural heritage in order to invent the Iphone, Ipad, saxophone and piano?

Oboy, smoking weed is not good for one's health ooo.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
shadrach77: let me add another two;
(22) This is the second time his palace would be burnt. His palace was also burnt in 1990

Prince Adetona Adeyemi , a.k.a Tillaman

Everybody knows TILLAMAN, the singer that brought us madd hits like PU’YANGA, FORI FORI, TRYING, but very few people know that this young man is a 1st class Prince as he is the son of His Royal Highness, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, the Alaafin of Oyo! “Baba Dadi Wan” is his new video/single. Read up on it below and watch the “behind the scenes” footage.

Real names Prince Adetona Adeyemi, Tillaman who has shied away from making this public for years, finally decided to go back home and shoot a video at the Palace as a way of informing his fans and the media of his status. The title of the song is BABA DADI WAN and the video was shot by veteran director GINI. Serving as a form of re-introduction, the video is themed around a battle for supremacy between himself and his alter-ego; TILLA vs. TILLAMAN.

The Prince who has been resident in the UK for many years has finally moved down to Nigeria to face his music squarely as he recently put pen to paper with EUPHORIC HERITAGE RECORDS, a label who very much shares same vision, culture and direction as him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMdSW73uKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcFEx-QZ2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQcDZiLjdg

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by ignis: 8:33pm On Jan 10, 2013
Rooneyboy: for crying out loud, what kinda thread is this

Funny enough it made it to the front page.

NL is FINISHED.
There are many things to learn from here.
So gerrout.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Iyaniwura123: 8:34pm On Jan 10, 2013
As for the translation, there will always be differences but yours is also correct. And no one said the Oyo Empire was more influential than the British Empire. The comparison had to do with the LENGTH of the two empires. That can be used as a parameter for comparison, just as you have used influence and respect. Thanks a lot for pointing these out, you are keeping us on our toes smiley In his own words, he was selected to become the Alaafin in 1968 but the government of the day would not accept until the process was repeated three times. It was not until 1971 that he was crowned. Thanks a lot for pointing that out, the necessary correction has been made.
arbitrage: please help me, how can someone that was born in 1938 be 29 years of age in 1970 when he became king? i thought he wouldn't have choice but to be 32 years?

i somehow do not agree with the translation you gave iku baba yeye. it sounds like you gave transliteration instead of translation. are you sure it is not something like someone who has power or control over death as in he's father and mother over death?

lastly, you should not compare oyo empire with or to british empire because even the disintegrated, dysfunctional and remaining portion of british empire is still bigger and still commanding more respect and influence than the old oyo empire before it was conquered or rendered impotent. or what do you think?
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Iyaniwura123: 8:50pm On Jan 10, 2013
Wowww! This is so nice! This guy will make a king full of swagger! Madt beatssss!
PAGAN 9JA:

Prince Adetona Adeyemi , a.k.a Tillaman

Everybody knows TILLAMAN, the singer that brought us madd hits like PU’YANGA, FORI FORI, TRYING, but very few people know that this young man is a 1st class Prince as he is the son of His Royal Highness, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, the Alaafin of Oyo! “Baba Dadi Wan” is his new video/single. Read up on it below and watch the “behind the scenes” footage.

Real names Prince Adetona Adeyemi, Tillaman who has shied away from making this public for years, finally decided to go back home and shoot a video at the Palace as a way of informing his fans and the media of his status. The title of the song is BABA DADI WAN and the video was shot by veteran director GINI. Serving as a form of re-introduction, the video is themed around a battle for supremacy between himself and his alter-ego; TILLA vs. TILLAMAN.

The Prince who has been resident in the UK for many years has finally moved down to Nigeria to face his music squarely as he recently put pen to paper with EUPHORIC HERITAGE RECORDS, a label who very much shares same vision, culture and direction as him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMdSW73uKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcFEx-QZ2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQcDZiLjdg
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by RoyalRoy(m): 8:54pm On Jan 10, 2013
Alaafin of Oyo is the only first class king in yoruba land who passes everyday all around his kingdom with his people postrating and hailing him!

He is known for his LOVE to very light skinned women......most guys who have light skinned gf don't allow them around 100m of the palace!

The Alaafin is the PERMANENT head of the Oyo State traditional council with the Soun of Ogbomoso as his Vice!

He has been known to raise ALL his children with dignity and respect deserving of royal status so much that you will NEVER find any of his children misbehaving or misrepresenting their royal heritage despite their number!

He has always being a moderate traditionalist.......attending both the mosques and strictly the catholic church on a regular basis!!!!!

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by herkeym001(m): 9:07pm On Jan 10, 2013
How can this topic decrease BB price at Challenge market ilorin?

20 interesting fact
Ko
20 boring fact
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by hagma37yahoocom: 9:27pm On Jan 10, 2013
Youngartist: gud
Guy next time even seun no go fit seperate us o. Wetin dey wory you,you quote the whole thing and punch "gud". Abeg next time just punch @OP den type whatever you want ok.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Leboska(m): 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2013
Iku Baba yeye
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by slimyem: 9:46pm On Jan 10, 2013
I enjoyed reading this...smiley
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Ninilowo(m): 9:50pm On Jan 10, 2013
dayokanu: Iku Baba Yeye Alaafin Ikeji orisha

I knew he was a boxer and I heard in the 90's every Saturday morning he jogs from his palace to the stadium with all his children

Iyaniwura are you from Oyo Alaafin Ojo pa sekere Omo Atiba

Omo oyo kan ree. Awa lomo apinni ipekun oye.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Ninilowo(m): 9:53pm On Jan 10, 2013
shadrach77: let me add another two;

Yes during the Asipa crisis. I was in St Bernardines Grammar School then.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 10, 2013
dick hardener: I never knew the man was originally very dark skinned. WoW!!!

The Alaafin and gov. Akala both definitely got something in common tongue

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by achu442(m): 10:14pm On Jan 10, 2013
He has a set of twins in the Arsenal academy.One of his youngest greatest grand cousins play for Newcastle Academy.He has a football team in Oyo,Oyo state.....FACT ( not joking)
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by ichommy(m): 10:15pm On Jan 10, 2013
*singing, if No body talks about u, then u re Nobody* NL can talk u, If u work hard and make it.
Scarpon: when is nairaland going to post 72 facts about me *wipes tears **
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by KDULAR: 10:27pm On Jan 10, 2013
Some people will at any existing small opportunity will not hesitate to let express to us how either they weren't trained to be cultured and classy or refused to be cultured and classy as everything of importance,lofty and dignifying will just be ridiculed by their shallowness.
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by alphaconde(m): 10:37pm On Jan 10, 2013
who was the one that raped a female youth corp member?
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by chloride6: 11:22pm On Jan 10, 2013
Rooneyboy: for crying out loud, what kinda thread is this

Funny enough it made it to the front page.

NL is FINISHED.

For ur mind u don yarn abi?
Re: 20 Interesting Facts About The Alaafin Of Oyo by Archmed(m): 11:30pm On Jan 10, 2013
this is d type of news we deserve on Nairaland....not...Tonto Dike is pregnant* d'banj pours garri on Don Jazzy's face,Jonathan promises 50,000 mw of electriciy in 2 weeks!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts African Ambassadors In His Palace - Photos / Oba Abiodun Oniru Is Dead! Toolz Father Dies / "I Am The Leader Of Yoruba Monarchs" - Olugbo, Obateru Akinruntan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.