Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

Baby Shower - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Baby Shower (4101 Views)

we held a baby shower for a student @ school ,do you condemn us? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Shower by iyawo1005(f): 9:03pm On Feb 26, 2008
Hello fellow Nairalanders :-)

My boyfriend's Nigerian and I am American. I am going to my boyfriends, friend's (wife's) baby shower this weekend.
I have gone to parties with him before but since this is a ladies only event
I need a little advice. Is there anything particular I would need to know about the babyshower, anything I should bring other than a present (like food). How long do I stay(so I dont overstay my welcome), etc. Please help!! ~Thanks~
Re: Baby Shower by almondjoy(f): 2:38am On Feb 27, 2008
It is supposed to me a surprise for the expectant mother.  If not, you only just show up and join the fun.  Or, contact the sponsors of the BS and ask them how you can help.  Do not ask the expectant mother.

Usually the sponsors of the BS have already taken care of all the details.  Just plan to guess the abominal girth of the pregnant lady and if you are the closest with your measuring tape, you get a prize. Stuff like that.

Lots of fun and games for ladies and kids.  The guys hang on the balcony and discuss "male" matters.  Guys hate BSs.  Can't say I blame them! grin Only interested in "putting" the babies in there. As far as they are concerned, their job is done! cheesy

If all else fails----gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle it!

Enjoy! kiss
Re: Baby Shower by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 27, 2008
almond na babyshower you shortern to BS ?
ROFL
Re: Baby Shower by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 27, 2008
iyawo1005:

Hello fellow Nairalanders :-)

My boyfriend's Nigerian and I am American. I am going to my boyfriends, friend's (wife's) baby shower this weekend.
I have gone to parties with him before but since this is a ladies only event
I need a little advice. Is there anything particular I would need to know about the babyshower, anything I should bring other than a present (like food). How long do I stay(so I don't overstay my welcome), etc. Please help!! ~Thanks~

relax.
they probably will start late and end late anyway
you leave when you see other guests leaving.
Re: Baby Shower by Dreloaded(f): 6:18pm On Feb 27, 2008
lmao at "iyawo"

Obviously you can take a nice present, like baby stuff other there. They tend to open the present in front of people so if you like go and buy something cheap and disgrace yourself tongue
Re: Baby Shower by iyawo1005(f): 12:40am On Feb 28, 2008
definently would not bring a cheap present, don't know why anyone would even think of doing so . Anyway thanks for d insight smiley
Re: Baby Shower by Dreloaded(f): 12:45am On Feb 28, 2008
wink
Re: Baby Shower by spoilt(f): 4:12am On Feb 28, 2008
You should know nigerians by now. our parties are very informal. lots of dancing. party starts late, really late. you can take food but i assure you there will be excess. If you arent asked to bring food then don't bother 'cos they've probably arranged a cooking commitee.
Re: Baby Shower by almondjoy(f): 5:24am On Feb 28, 2008
nwando:

almond na babyshower you shortern to[b] BS [/b] ?
ROFL

Short hand ma dear! cheesy
Re: Baby Shower by omoge(f): 3:35pm On Feb 28, 2008
lol, i thot it was bullshit BS myself grin,

how all of una dey.

poster, enjoy smiley. take your gift with you. i attended two last week. umm when i go marry sef grin

nwando:

almond na babyshower you shortern to BS ?
ROFL
Re: Baby Shower by romeo(m): 6:09pm On Feb 28, 2008
My sisters una do well ohh cheesy cheesy
Re: Baby Shower by iyawo1005(f): 12:47am On Feb 29, 2008
@ omoge
Thanks I am very excited to go, purchased just today, a few presents grin grin

Also my boo said to not let anyone be rude to me, although he would not elaborate. I asked and he said he does not know what they would say but was just letting me know in case. Does anyone know what he would mean by this, maybe he just felt bad to tell me what he though they may say. Just want to be prepared because I am not one to confront someone if they are rude, I would just ignore it and kno my place with that person. To me confrontation is not necessary atleast in a scenario like this where it is people he knows.
Re: Baby Shower by spoilt(f): 1:00am On Feb 29, 2008
he probably feels that because he's with an american woman (are you white?) you guys will get dirty looks from the nigerian women in attendance! Dont worry people will be too busy dancing or packaging their take away plates, they wont notice. grin grin
Re: Baby Shower by iyawo1005(f): 3:05pm On Mar 13, 2008
Sorry I was not able to post sooner.

I went to the baby shower and it was lovely, I was welcomed by most and had a great time :-)

And like you said spoilt lots of food to go around. Thanks all cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

How Yoruba Language Originated From Urhobo Language / The Oba Of Benin Kingdom With Queen Elizabeth In / Beautiful Yoruba Wedding: Lara Odumosu & Alexander Adegboyega Adegbenro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.