Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,286 members, 7,780,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:42 PM

BB And Electronic Gadgets Are Destroying Our Young Generation - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / BB And Electronic Gadgets Are Destroying Our Young Generation (1362 Views)

How Some Ladies Are Destroying Their Marriage Without Knowing / You Are Destroying Your Husband And Killing Your Marriage With This / Is This New Trend Really Helping Our Young Ones? Or A Damage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

BB And Electronic Gadgets Are Destroying Our Young Generation by boladez(m): 9:18am On Jan 11, 2013
I have noticed a very disturbing trend in the last few years on the abuse of telephones and electronic gadgets. Our young folks and some older people are so engrossed with BB and texting that it has taken over their attention span and ability to think responsibly.

I may be wrong in my assumption but clearly can confirm the following

* I have seen my dependants and domestic staff loose concentration and focus on issues of life because of their constant attachment to their phones and black berry , these I phones , I pads, I this and I that takes its toll on the attention span and focus of people who depend on them. I have seen young people spend non productive hours on face book and twitter quite sadly and unfortunately tampering with their future. I banned the use of phones by my domestic staff during work hours and notice significant improvement in their alertness. Many of these young folks are morbidly absent minded.

*I have seen people type letters and emails and even posts on Nairaland using standard Black berry slangs. I have interviewed people for jobs and declined them the opportunity due to the HIPHOP mein. This reduces the prospects of being able to get jobs. Many younger ones are unable to make coherent sentences or think / write coherently.

*A lot of baseless and senseless rumours keep circulating due to abuse of these gadgets.

* I see a lot of living dead walking on the streets of Lagos with both ears plugged, one idiot died while crossing the rail line at Yaba, both ears were plugged and he did not hear the horn of an oncoming train or people screaming in horror.

*I guess a lot of accidents will have occurred as a result of this disturbing trend. No records to substantiate this but what I see on the Lagos roads are people driving between lanes or haphazardly on account of using the phones and driving

I think we should pay attention to this and correct our children and wards and also set good examples with our own use of technology.

Saw the article below in Punch of today 11 Jan where a Dumb corper lost his life while engrossed with his phone on the main road. His stupidity cost him his life future and threw his family into grief. May this not be the portion of our loved ones as we enforce this as parents and mentors.

Female ‘learner’ driver arraigned for killing corps member
January 11, 2013 by Segun Olatunji, Abeokuta 9 Comments
A car with a learner’s sign

The police in Ogun State on Thursday arraigned a 52-year-old woman, Kehinde Olubanke, before an Abeokuta Magistrate’s Court for allegedly crushing a 28-year-old youth corps member, Egbe Ogbu, with her car.

The Prosecutor, Inspector Anabel Emmanuel, told the court that the accused committed the alleged offence on January 8 while driving along the Ogun Secretariat Complex Road, Oke-Mosan in Abeokuta.

The prosecutor said the accused, who was driving in a Nissan Almera car, sped dangerously and caused the death of the youth corps member serving in the state.

The prosecutor added that though the accused drove the car as a “learner” with a permit, she failed to do so in company with a licensed driver beside her as stipulated by the law.

The prosecutor therefore opposed the accused person’s application for bail, arguing that she should rather be charged for murder because the alleged offence was contrary to and punishable under sections 325 and 18 Vol 4 and 19 (12) (iii) Road Traffic Regulations Vol 4 of the Criminal Code Laws of Ogun, 2006.

But the accused, Olubanke, who was not represented by a counsel pleaded not guilty to the charge of manslaughter preferred against her.

She said the incident occurred because the late corps member who was so engrossed in the usage of his BlackBerry phone while crossing the road forgot himself completely and suddenly strayed in front of her moving car.

“Ogbu was busy pinging on the road; I did not know when he got in front of my car. I have been driving for over eight months now and I have been very careful,” she said.

The Magistrate, Matins Akinyemi, in his ruling said though the case was pathetic, it would still be treated as manslaughter and not murder because there was no motive behind the offence.

“It is a very sad thing, particularly for the family of the boy who would cease being a corps member in a couple of months,” the magistrate said.

The court therefore granted bail to the accused in the sum of N 200,000 with two sureties in like sum and adjourned further hearing till March
Re: BB And Electronic Gadgets Are Destroying Our Young Generation by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 11, 2013
This incidences are sad but real.i have drawn a big line between chatting,pinging or sending messages while walking on the streets or at work because i know ill be too distracted and the nature of my work demands utmost concentration and things can go wrong if i get distracted so what i do is to put my phone on silent from 8-4pm and when i get home attend to all the messages.its even annoyingly crazy when someone sends you a ping in the middle of the night at 1 or 2 am asking you if you are still sleeping so because of people that fall into this category,i put my phone on silent.the bottomline is leave play for play time and work for work time.set boundaries.young people easily get distracted by this instruments so much.infact a friend of mine was jisting me about a very young boy of 17 her kid brother to be precise who just got admitted into university.when his result came out he had f and ds all through.the sister (my friend) was disturbed and worried about what could have caused him having that kind of result,so one day the sister decided to go to his school and ask for his h.o.d.anyway when he got to the hod's office and complained about her kid brother's result,the h.od chuckled and asked the lady,does your brother uses a black berry? She said yes.the man smiled again and said if you want your brother to have good grades next semester,that is where you will start from.sieze his blackberry and get him a cheap nokia phone and see if you will come back next year to complain about this same thing.my friend did as she was told,lo and behold this boy came out with a strong gpa.he came out with a 4.35 in a cgpa of 5.0.infact it beat me.the issue here is that this devices make a lot of undergraduates mispriotize their time.the time they should use in studying and enhancing their concentration skills,mental strenghth and alertness is used in pinging for several hours.i dont even know how they feel comfortable in it because even when i ping after some time my finger aches and i get bored.moreso find out what they are pinging about,if its not gossip about what lola wore to class today,its about how tunde asked me out today and craps like that.personally i dont entertain all those kinds of misdemeanours.if you come to my office for one thing or the other and i am asking you some questions in order to help you solve your school issues and you are pinging or i realise you are carried away by your phone,ill tell you to leave my office till you are serious and ready,both old and young

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Ur Urgent Advice / How Can One Become Independent? / Mom Posts Her Son Photo Feedin Him Like A Dog,causing Serioz Outrage On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.