Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,753 members, 7,806,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

University Courses That Are Waste Of Time - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / University Courses That Are Waste Of Time (89513 Views)

**MUST READ** Four University Courses Scrap / Free IT Courses That Will Enhance Career / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by benzion72(m): 8:12am On Jan 12, 2013
Your Success is not in your course of study. It is in you. Market don't pay for degree, it pay for delivery, what can you deliver to the market. What value can you create what problem can you solve.

6 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by chineji(m): 8:12am On Jan 12, 2013
Havilah93:
you kidding?
Microbiology a waste of time?
it is where will you work I know so many of them that make less than 50000 naira a month my advice to students look at the economy of your country before picking a course to study even the yanks aint finding it easy if you are not going for engineering or medicine no need going to college stay at home cause the student loan debt are at an all time high
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by oyedun82(m): 8:14am On Jan 12, 2013
chineji: Botany and geophysics and microbiology and environmental biology and history and theology and religious studies and architecture
disagree wit u on theology nd history.

Only in this country we all want to be rich once you pass through university gate. Is it a must u must be succesful with the course you studie in d institution?

Have seen a yoruba graduate working as an accountant while al this accountancy student they carry cv up nd down.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by tessyade: 8:14am On Jan 12, 2013
I totally disagree with the poster. No course is a waste of time. I use to think like you that some courses are a waste of time but i've been wrong by the achivement of people that read those 'waste of time' courses. What you studied in the university does not really determine how far you will go especially in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by chineji(m): 8:14am On Jan 12, 2013
And besides not all engineering degree are equal civil engineers are not in demand
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Ortis: 8:14am On Jan 12, 2013
slumbee: I agree that this is the dumbest post ever. I mean there should be a way to regulate post. A persob like this op should be on suspension. First of all what course did you study? Are you making six figure salary? Nigga how dare you say political science is a waste of time to study. i m going to refrain from calling you names, but nigga u re one dumb nigga. Where did you get the notion that the face you read political science you have to be a politician. To go ahead and study Yoruba in the university is not a waste of time either. You don't have the slightiest idea of the advantage of a university degree.
Nigga you so dumb, soo dumb. I mean what were you thinking?
SLUMPOO..i think u suld go tru ur statements again,does that word "NIGGA" reali shwcase u as a graduate or was that all u were tot in PS101,...dat was more reason y u suld hav studied linguistics....MTCHEWW ur parents wastd der money n u wastd ur time
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Ahmedie25(m): 8:15am On Jan 12, 2013
Electrical Engineering
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by fermlad: 8:16am On Jan 12, 2013
grin
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by gameplan1(m): 8:16am On Jan 12, 2013
jaybim: DUMBEST POST EVER... Hw many of doz ppl hu studied d couses hav come to ur house to ask 4 money?... Education is smthing dat adds immense value to an individual and his art. Ppl hu studied diz courses cannot b compared to doz hu jst freely entered it, knw dat.
ON POINT!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Jbaby2(f): 8:18am On Jan 12, 2013
@mujitapha, dnt talk abt masscomm. Cos jst anybody can't be a journalist nwaday, any journalist must be traind 4 many bits. Wat is a bit? U dnt evn knw. U r nt in d field so u cnt undastnd. Back off
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by mynaija123(m): 8:18am On Jan 12, 2013
Aggrippa: ACCOUNTANCY every tom, tick and tarry are making it big in this career via ICAN
anyway before i sign out i want to let the AUTHOR know that our worth is non-negotiable

An accountant who doesn't know its Tom, Dic k and Harry. Hmmmm
Oooo sorry they said you people talk maths only, I guess that's maths
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Yippsy(m): 8:18am On Jan 12, 2013
There is no knowledge wasted. We gain and learn new things everyday. If not for offering political science I wldnt know dat man himself is a natural political animal...

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 12, 2013
No course is a waste
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by chineji(m): 8:19am On Jan 12, 2013
oyedun82: disagree wit u on theology nd history.

Only in this country we all want to be rich once you pass through university gate. Is it a must u must be succesful with the course you studie in d institution?

Have seen a yoruba graduate working as an accountant while al this accountancy student they carry cv up nd down.
this only happens in nigerias economy that is why things are not working out as they should in america if you read history you will end up at mcdonalds working at eight dollars fifty cent an hour with 70000 dollars student loan debt to pay
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by OracleHex(m): 8:19am On Jan 12, 2013
Ahmedie25: Electrical Engineering
Are you high?

6 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Afam4eva(m): 8:20am On Jan 12, 2013
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by tonmandy(m): 8:21am On Jan 12, 2013
Animal science? You are d worst fool i ve ever seen. "Olodo".Come let me feed ur family for years. No course,i repeat no course is a waste.

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by dridowu: 8:21am On Jan 12, 2013
Viewing ds thread is a waste of time

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by gidiMonsta(m): 8:22am On Jan 12, 2013
@retar.ded OP, you've only succeeded in publicizing your ignorance on Nigeria's most visited forum. I don't think you've ever set foot in a university before hence you wouldn't be spewing trash about courses here.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ngosayogie(m): 8:23am On Jan 12, 2013
This post is a total waste of time...@OP are u among those having that believe that most courses are inferior That to me is quite wrong.....Today many people do not work according to their course of study in the university. That does not mean the course they studied while in school is a total flop. Please think twice before posting....finding this post quite offensive.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Smooyis(m): 8:24am On Jan 12, 2013
Wether education pays or not, wether a course is relevant now or not, it pays to acquire knowledge. As d saying goes No knowlegde is lost. Remember Nigeria will not continue to be like this. What education does to one is not only for employment purpose, but a total transformation of the thinking faculty of man, making him a problem-solver and thereby positioning him for the challenges of life.

5 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 12, 2013
Those that studied computer science outside, do they go for company interview? I also studied at aptech but could not get a company job but I could earn a living. The money I was making was just too small for me to grow so I decided to get a Bsc in computer science to enable me get a job in a company. Truth be told I didn't learn anything useful in university, what I learned in aptech is superb! But the Bsc secured a good job for me and I've currently set up my own firm and I'm making thrice my salary.

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 12, 2013
For computer science, i dont think its waste of time. When i say computer science, i mean computer as well as mobile technology.
1. Wit the influx of everyone, the boundary of computer is stretching further and never a dormant course.
2. Amid all courses, i think computer is the only course that brings latest innovation and probably, medicine comes a distant second.

3. Studying it is essential because it gives you stability. Thus any tom d1ick and harry that has experience witout studying computer(tertiary), is not considered "stable".

4. Maybe CS is the course that wit your at least 6months certificate, you have the opportunity to be self employed.

5. In some tertiary schools computer science have to be merged wit maths becos the level at which lecturers leave for private practice is great. Hence the merging.

3 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by controlseven: 8:26am On Jan 12, 2013
*otu ocha!
@OP may TFU! (Tunder Fire You)
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by GentleNaaz(m): 8:27am On Jan 12, 2013
Idriswhite: I'm sorry for the post if it offends viewers.it's only an assumption a pal brought up for debate.with the opinions garnered here,it's obvious that no knowledge is a waste.
guy some knowledge r waste wn it cnt put food some where behnd u nt evn on table. Stil wondering wat a political scientist cn do. OBJ, GEJ, Buhari n co, non read pol science
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by donchelsea: 8:28am On Jan 12, 2013
@poster, No knowledge is a waste. Whaterver one studies is a platform to achievement which one will build on. Education adds value to your life. All the courses u mentioned, I do not think any of those people had begged u 4 money @ anytme.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by kazlaw2000: 8:28am On Jan 12, 2013
the op is right . let's face the truth, going to 'study' some of these courses is an herculian waste of time and resources. but you may be lucky to get a goverment job. if not, that's the end. go learn something else lucrative

2 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by neksummi(m): 8:29am On Jan 12, 2013
No knowledge is a waste. You could read any course and earn up not making your living from it.

I'm an example. Making more of my money online than anywhere else and I'm helping others do same. I derive much satisfaction doing this than any other thing. Check out what I'm doing with fellow nairalanders: https://www.nairaland.com/1142592/lets-team-up-ensure-all

Wish you the best.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 12, 2013
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 12, 2013
You be be an ignorant chump to say that studying courses such as computer science and political science is a waste of time. These courses encompass various areas that are useful in a number of fields. For instance, political science encompasses public administration and international relations. How can you then argue that studying such a course is a "waste of time"?

Do you know how many prominent people - in Nigeria and elsewhere studied computer science or political science? Don't come online to advertise your ignorance abeg.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ghettodreamz(m): 8:30am On Jan 12, 2013
BABA FLOMII: Only professional course counts...MEDICINE,LAW,PHARMACY nd so on

The above lack insight and there is no iota of sense in it... Pls, don't give me lip on this... undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by true2god: 8:30am On Jan 12, 2013
chineji: Botany and geophysics and microbiology and environmental biology and history and theology and religious studies and architecture
R u a roadside mechanic for giving dis type of response?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result / Bankers' Forum / My 6 Months Experience As An Uber/bolt Driver In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.