Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

University Courses That Are Waste Of Time - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / University Courses That Are Waste Of Time (89530 Views)

**MUST READ** Four University Courses Scrap / Free IT Courses That Will Enhance Career / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by rhowly(m): 10:47pm On Jan 12, 2013
Clemzy16: Like it or not, the OP has a point. I share the same sentiment with him. What is the essence of me going to school to study theatre art where 99.9% of actors in Nigeria do not have formal knowledge about acting?! Acting is a talent not what you can learn. That's like someone studying fine-art when he/she cannot draw naturally. That to me is a colossal waste of precious time.

Agreed
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ladman(m): 10:56pm On Jan 12, 2013
This is so backward in terms of thinking, education is primarily about human dignity, about higher development and productivity,job is secondary. Reissue your thoughts, please.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by CHARLYX9: 11:20pm On Jan 12, 2013
striker07: Did I hear you say computer science?computer science is a very innovative and interesting course to study,the best course in the whole world.
nyc talk bro you deserve that just dat nigerians dnt knw the secret you knw whats wrong with some nigerians talk before they think.thats d reason of regret at last
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by HRHAgek(m): 11:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
Oga dem, una too sabi. Why don't u get de perspective his coming from even if de presentation is wrong.Agreed.All Courses re sooooo relevant but O boy, in Nigeria, read some courses and I bet even if u get employment, u wud be placed under a department where u d have to learn on de job. See all u are calling names like u don't know its true. De oga wey de shout Nigga Nigga, park well o. Po Sci is bt a course for the name of it. Non or very little opening to dos who read dat course. At most lecturers to train other plenty people. Now all course are so so so so so very plenty important. But in Nigeria of our time, I totally agree, SOME COURSES ARE MORE EQUAL THAN THE OTHER.we pray it changes. If u like keep face lik u no know say na true. If u born pikin and things don't get better,(we hope not)send am go read Hausa language. BBC hausa fit employ am sha. Try ur luck. EOD! GBAM!!!
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by laurel03(m): 11:45pm On Jan 12, 2013
political science does not mean you must be a Pdp or acn member and politicial.... so many oppurtunitieso r do you think that its nigeria leaders that strategize most of what they are doing.... they use professionals to guard them through
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by obyrich(m): 12:47am On Jan 13, 2013
Clemzy16: Like it or not, the OP has a point. I share the same sentiment with him. What is the essence of me going to school to study theatre art where 99.9% of actors in Nigeria do not have formal knowledge about acting?! Acting is a talent not what you can learn. That's like someone studying fine-art when he/she cannot draw naturally. That to me is a colossal waste of precious time.
There is more to acting than posing in front of cameras with heavy make ups. A degree in theatre arts doesnt necesarily qualify one as an actor or actress.

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by madeit2thetop(m): 1:23am On Jan 13, 2013
neksummi: No knowledge is a waste. You could read any course and earn up not making your living from it.

I'm an example. Making more of my money online than anywhere else and I'm helping others do same. I derive much satisfaction doing this than any other thing. Check out what I'm doing with fellow nairalanders: https://www.nairaland.com/1142592/lets-team-up-ensure-all

Wish you the best.
e don dey madt abi..9JA!!!!
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by YemiAdisa(m): 3:36am On Jan 13, 2013
obyrich: There is more to acting than posing in front of cameras with heavy make ups. A degree in theatre arts doesnt necesarily qualify one as an actor or actress.

Thank you for this reply.....I felt like it came straight from my mouth lol
I have a cousin that studied Theatre Arts @ Oxford and he's doing really well and he has never acted professionally. He works with the Art Council of England.

Just like someone had mentioned before, 99% of courses studied @ the university is a waste of time if you re not innovative in this challenging world.
What makes you is not your degree or the course you studied, it is your innovation, skills and perseverance.
In western world, lots of young people are on courses like Beauty Therapy, Health & Social Care, Travel & Hotel Management etc...and a large number of them ended up being self-employed.
There are lots of opportunities out there in Nigeria but the problem with a young Nigerian is looking for jobs where there is no job. Looking for jobs @ places like NNPC, Shell, Chevron, Banks etc rather than 'self-develop' yourself.

My childhood friend studied Agric Economics at Abeokuta. Like a typical Nigerian graduate, he wanted to travel abroad probably to further his study and with the hope of staying over having unsuccessfully looked for jobs where there's no job. I discouraged him, and I promised to financially support him if he can go and farm rather than going abroad.

Today (after 3 years), he has been able to establish 10 different farms on livestocks, plants and crops in western Nigeria. His farming business has taken him to places like Malaysia, US, UK, France and Brazil on seminars and trainings. He employed some of the guys he was with while chasing "unavailable jobs". I am putting together a pieces on his journey from being a job seeker to an employer. Check out my website @ http://www.adeyemiadisa.com for updates.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ramalot(m): 3:58am On Jan 13, 2013
Idriswhite: People go to university to study a course in hope of future amelioration. However,most of the many courses that used to be hot cake in time past are whitewashed with the influx of many people who just learn the course outside university in a matter of months.Going to university to study the following courses many deem to be a waste of time.The courses are:
Computer Science-countless number of people are in the known in this field.
Theatre Arts/Music- Theatre arts is a free entry and exit field.Most people in the industry have no degree in the field.
Animal Science-The course isn't marketable in a country like ours where people give no value to the life of animals.
Philosophy-This course is more valuable in the olden days where people appreciate the thinkers not in our present time.The situation of the country makes everybody a thinker to survive in this country.
Political Science:Spending years studying this course is a waste of time and resources.People are procedure conscious when it comes to politics.how many political scientists are in position of power to regulate the politics of our country.

Which course do you also think is a waste of time that you can not study as well as your family?

You sound illiterate, your thought process is faulty, and flawed. You're not exactly the ideal academic adviser.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by portage(m): 4:36am On Jan 13, 2013
It is because of a thread like this that brings people out to really make some comments on this forum. To put things in perspective, I only come to Nairaland to read and keep myself informed on things going on back home. Now, I think you have succeeded in generalizing when you are of the opinion that certain courses in higher institution generally are not worth pursuing! What a fallacious statement!!

If you say for example in Nigeria, I will not mind your hasty generalization. But for you to now suggest and conclude that certain courses are not worth the while is simply wrong and you are sending a wrong message out to the world (people). Not only about you, but Nigeria and Africa as a whole in general terms! This, my friend is totally unacceptable. People would have learn a new thing about the failing/failed educational structure we have in Nigeria as an example. For example, music as a course of study was totally condemned by you or someone on this same thread. Say for example, if you or someone you know has a passion for music, nothing stops you from conducting a study to ascertain lyrics behind a certain song.
When you conduct a research on something like this, you end up adding some educational knowledge to the creative Arts field and music in particular. As an example, I think “suddenly” track and video by D’banj gives room for a lot of question that are begging for answers in the academic world as far as Nigerian music industry is concerned. One can start off by hypothesizing that God fatherism (Don Jazzy in the context of the video)in Nigerian music industry is different in African context as suppose to the western world. This is just an example. It is left for you to prove this assertion right or wrong based on your study findings. Meanwhile, your conclusions will of course bring a new thinking in to how the world sees African/Nigerian music.
Therefore, you can become an authority in this context and who knows, if CNN or Aljazeera or MSNBC is looking for an expert someday, you may be called upon! You may even get funding from top ranking universities in the US to study contemporary African music! Sky is your limit bro….all you need to do is think outside the box. Life is good and certainly no knowledge is lost.

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Bokoharam: 6:23am On Jan 13, 2013
pDude: Every course studied in Nigeria nowadays is a useless course.

Unless your relative has good connections in Nigeria, you are just wasting your 4 years in school. Lecturers dont even teach anything of relevance these days.

I don't believe in this old tradition belief. Get a good university grade from a any course; pass your aptitude test; be sound in mind/body, and employers will come, bowing for you!
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by nonysmith(m): 7:23am On Jan 13, 2013
chineji: Botany and geophysics and microbiology and environmental biology and history and theology and religious studies and architecture
. Are u trying to be funny or something cos dnt tink pple will laugh ovcer ur contribution,infact one might assume ure jst dumb...hw can u mention architecture and micro biology,geophysics,and d rest all in one breath...as courses dat aint important to study...habaaa u well so
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by slumbee(m): 7:54am On Jan 13, 2013
Ortis: SLUMPOO..i think u suld go tru ur statements again,does that word "NIGGA" reali shwcase u as a graduate or was that all u were tot in PS101,...dat was more reason y u suld hav studied linguistics....MTCHEWW ur parents wastd der money n u wastd ur time

Hommie! 1st of all it's SLUMBEE not SLUMPOO. I went over you reply and it did not seem to make any sense to me. The reason why i hardly comment on nairaland is because of th e name calling and so. I was pissed and that was why i called the OP a NIGGA..and i m sorry about that OP. OREZ my advice for you hombre try and be articulate and clearer next time.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Emperor5c(m): 7:54am On Jan 13, 2013
tem_tem: sociology/anthropology
Itz obvious dat u smoked eida plastic or tyre b4 postin dis s.h*t.
Buh jex rememba dat GOD z watchin u on a projector!
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Adebayor2006(m): 8:26am On Jan 13, 2013
studying doz above courses is not a waste of time at all but in Nigeria such courses are not strong course so even doz who study it outside skul are doing it much beter dan doz who claim d certificate
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by slumbee(m): 8:31am On Jan 13, 2013
eastermaris: Did anyone here apply for the vacancies in the ministry of foreign affairs early last year? If I still remember clearly,there were specified course of study required.....1.political science 2.International relations and or deplomacy 3.Degree on foreign languages and a few others dat mr. poster may call useless. Who says a philosopher and a pol.scientist cant be an employer of labour by the virture of his course? Study even stone and rubbish science in america even china,then package well and thr govt wld come running to u....millions in dollars...think nagerians think! We blinded by federal jobs,civil defence,immigration hahahaha...we so dumb around herr

I m getting you EASTERMARIS..i applied for the position unfortunately i wasn't shortlisted. The thing about a ministry like foreign affairs, is that your can get posted out of the country immediately. You are entitled to go with your family all expenses paid. Right there is the beginning of BALLING...lol. While someone is coming here to say political science is a waste...*sigh*
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by slumbee(m): 8:42am On Jan 13, 2013
kooto:
I am sure you most have read one of the courses mentioned by the poster, or why this so much rage?

you are right bro...lol.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by decepticos(m): 9:38am On Jan 13, 2013
This topic is bloody annoying, how person go yarn say vet medcine na crap when e nor Knw wai farm dey, or wats wrong with studying zoology is dat not an aspect of ecotourism, or no b plenty pharmacist dey sell wrong drugs to ppl, what is even d diff btw physics electronics and elect elect ,whats it wit una sef. Wetin dey wori d person wey open dis thread. and who is dat bloody futarian saying crap about APH and FWT. whats ur beef with agriculture sef. make una mind una sef oh.

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by decepticos(m): 9:46am On Jan 13, 2013
how many ppl wey dey talk anyhow for here dey sch or even go through d wahala of jamming jamb. thing is fall in love with wat u do, find a diff angle to it and b d best from ur angle. i'v heard of csp (crop soil and pest) graduates carrying out soil tests for oil companies. Positive knowledge isnt a waste.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by decepticos(m): 9:48am On Jan 13, 2013
Bokoharam:

I don't believe in this old tradition belief. Get a good grade from d Uni; pass your aptitude test; be sound in mind/body, and employers will die for you!
seems u read rich dad poor dad
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 13, 2013
i doubt if the op has a job or is even in university yet

probably has admission for on of those 'useless courses' and is trying to seek for arguments to marshal against them to his parents
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by emaoke7: 11:20am On Jan 13, 2013
Seconded. D guy doesnt know what he is talking about.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by john365: 12:33pm On Jan 13, 2013
rhowly:

Agreed
I agreed.
As much as it nice to have a degree no matter what you are doing in life so courses are waste of time. I dnt need d university to make me a politician unless I actually practiced students politics in school with active role. Look around u and name any Nigerian leader who studied po.science in school.

Why waste ur time studying theater when almost if not all shining actist did nt near dat department in school, most are even undergraduates.

Y computer science and even computer engineering when most computer engines that I knw of studied arts in school.

Here in naija if a got is sick what u will hear is "kill b4 e die, make blood comot for em body" and u want to study vet. Medicine for d sake a degree.

As long as nigeria is concerned they ar nt good choices. Ok o its all abt d person filling d jamb form sha.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by donyekachi: 1:27pm On Jan 13, 2013
Summer 2013 Admission into the United States International University in Nairobi have Started..If your interested or would like to gain an Admission into USIU please send a mail to donyekachi@ymail.com for more information..
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by CHARLYX9: 3:42pm On Jan 13, 2013
@oyb,true talk
@john365,u sick in d head and so,so what r u trying to say in a nutshell
@op,u beta go and get a life am sure ur just an ssce holder like(chineji) cuz u guys thinking faculty r d same.from ma reasoning my mind tells me that you wanna sit for jamb and u gat dis 3 courses as option and dnt knw d one to put as first choice university.so u had to come to nairaland and post the three and called them <q>useless</q> courses so to know what people would say abt it before you choose it or are u kidding me
@chineji,this guy claims to be on all education matter and claims to read from yahoo.And he knws nothing rather than making gibberish.albeit from your sense of reasoning you truely think like a 15yrs old but reading all ur post u claim to be 17yrs old but ur thinking faculty is lyk dat of an animal.frm ma reasoning you claim to address educational issues and ur an ssce holder bt ur not in university why? And my last advice for you is for u to choose any course in nigeria make sure the course would allow you work any where in the world be it telecommunication,oil and gas sector,it,banks,factory,schools bt from ur posts u claim to read nautical science/marine engineering think of it u cn work only in marine sector bt someone who read english,computer science can work in airports,banks,oil and gas,it,telecommunication cuz what is ruling the world nw is IT U BETA WISE UP.U CN IMAGINE JAMB SYLLABUS AND JAMB BROCHURE ARE NW MADE IN SOFTWARE AS AT LAST YEAR THATS A WORK A PERSON WHO READ COMPUTER SCIENCE EXCEPT U DNT KNW WHAT U READ.AND A COMPUTER SCIENTIST,COMP.ENG,PETROLEUM AND GAS ENG,GEOPHYSICTS,MECHANICAL ENG THAT WORK IN THE OIL AND GAS SECTOR ALL EARN THE SAME SALARY AS FAR AS U GAT UR DEGREE AND GOOD AT UR JOB.U CLAIM THAT U SURF NET AND DNT KNW ALL DIS#SMH#
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Dmix: 4:38pm On Jan 13, 2013
[quote author=REMMEI]Would have A-OK you if you had mentioned "in Nigeria universities".. who told you and what research have you carried out to make arrived at the conclusion that those courses are useless and waste of time?..you are thinking from a Nigerian perspective though..and i think this topic has been treated before..but always remember this.."No knowledge is waste"..[He is a fool to must hv mentiond such, dats a falacy. And his knwledge is so limited dats why.]
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Greatken007(m): 6:37pm On Jan 13, 2013
The study of terrorism is awast of time
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Idrismusty97(m): 6:58pm On Jan 13, 2013
Abeg myk una no blame am o.e wan myk front page.his prayer is answer but he is nowhere to b found now....lol
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by sucezTP(f): 7:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
BABA FLOMII: Only professional course counts...MEDICINE,LAW,PHARMACY nd so on

Pharmacy?! You must be kidding!
Its a course you can establish a biz on..
@ op..no course is a waste of time as far as am concerned! So far a biology graduate can work in a bank so, what are we now saying!
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by EnyiBlaze(m): 5:20am On Jan 14, 2013
Mujitapha: Mass communication.Nowaday any graduate of any course can venture into journalism

Is it that we don't have fake medical doctors, lawyers nor engineers...? Mass communication is not exemted okey, you that see mass communication as a wast of time. Can't you differentiate a man from a woman? Is black white?, People that do fake journalism for doing sake and to make money, do they do it professionally? I know that the situation of the country can lure some one into anything if you are not careful. Take it or leave it, Journalist are the image makers of the society. It is believed that, there will be no need for medical doctors and hospitals in heaven because there will be no ailments, there will be no need for Lawyers and courts in heaven because there will be no cases BUT there will be needs for journalist because people in the other parts of heaven will wants to know what is happening in the other parts of heaven.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Jibsonified(m): 6:54am On Jan 14, 2013
chess guru:
Abeg sharaaaaap!!
Before u advertise ur dirty underware here, why didn't you take the time to ask me what exactly he is doing in the servicing firm.
I did my IT in Baker Huges a few years ago and I met a man who studied accounting handling a pipe wrench like say it was a balance sheet.
The dude was posted 2 completions department with me, so tell me his RELEVANCE there.
P.s I can assure u where my pal is working has nothing 2 do with petroleum microbiology. Smh

Its absolutely useless enlightening some1 with no understanding and insight..its like throwing ones pearl before swine..u trampled it under ur feet and turn around to rip me open...dirty underwear indeed.. b4 u made ur generalised comment about the worth of a course in Nigeria from a 1 or 2 cases.. why not give d full detail of what d person is actually doin.. cos what u juz did is 2 disillusion people with wrong conclusions.. Dont U know that some peeps have knowledge as well as passion... A person's passion may b quite different from what he studied in schl...dont u know some peeps go ahead to get professional certificate in a different course entirely?.. juz because it appears that person has wasted his/her tym doin a course that doesnt relate to his/her eventual profession does not mean that d course is useless! .. my point earlier simply state that a microbiologist is rlevant to d petroleum field..not ur friend..ofcos I don't know what he's doing there n I dont need to know..Ur accountant guy obviously at that moment in that industry is not an accountant.. I'm sure d company did not employ an accontant to work as a technician..Who says a person cant be of various profession... So my guy d bone of content is not making ur university course relevant but making urself relevant.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result / Bankers' Forum / Pay Structure of Most Nigerian companies as at February 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.