Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,010 members, 7,806,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

University Courses That Are Waste Of Time - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / University Courses That Are Waste Of Time (89521 Views)

**MUST READ** Four University Courses Scrap / Free IT Courses That Will Enhance Career / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by munaco: 9:06am On Jan 12, 2013
chineji: Botany and geophysics and microbiology and environmental biology and history and theology and religious studies and architecture
i bow for u oooo. that one mean say no course again for university.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by vanstanzy(m): 9:06am On Jan 12, 2013
No course in the University is a waste. undecided undecided undecided. Permit me to prove u wrong, its our weak @ss system in black Africa that has rendered these courses useless. After studying these courses u won't find a related job in Nigeria, but study same abroad especially in the western world and ur services will be hotcake.
The Nigerian system doesnt help@ all. I mean how can someone who studied vet. medicine or botany end up in the banking industry?

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by homerac7: 9:08am On Jan 12, 2013
majority of respondents to this thread have spoken from the sadly narrow and confused view that's popular with Nigerians youth nowadays. For anybody that knows better, it's quite easy to believe that Nigerians are actually circa 68 points on IQ rating, just from opinion on this thread. More painful and worrisome is that most are supposed to be in or have passed through one university/higher institution of learning or another.

For those who are teachable, the problem with those courses is not themselves, but the national plan(lessness) in place. they are all vital ingredients in national development programmes, both on micro and macro scale. i know this view is still foreign to many of you, bout for a start, i will refer you to major national development projects like Project Paper Clip and Project Manhattan amongst many others for and from other nations, then you will see how these knowledges fit together to solve the very giant puzzle of projects/programmes. It is just like calling the salt or maggi cube in your kitchen a waste when it is solitary, but when you bring it together with other ingredients they make a very great meal. Even the supposedly choice courses are only part of the big circle that is ever dependent on those "smaller" ones.

I cant type for long on this. To educate undergraduates/graduates on importance of other courses is a big re-education task that shouldn't come free of charge on blogspots, if the so called graduates/undergraduate is not intelligent enough to have deciphered this in course of his/her study.

Bottom line is that it is a big circle of life there, there's a place for everybody to fit in and play his/her role. If some people are not fitting in, the the circle of life will start dying gradually because it becomes deficient from their needed contributions.

3 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Dawdy(m): 9:09am On Jan 12, 2013
rafhell: Islamic studies
omo ale

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by victorD3: 9:10am On Jan 12, 2013
Idriswhite: People go to university to study a course in hope of future amelioration. However,most of the many courses that used to be hot cake in time past are whitewashed with the influx of many people who just learn the course outside university in a matter of months.Going to university to study the following courses many deem to be a waste of time.The courses are:
Computer Science-countless number of people are in the known in this field.
Theatre Arts/Music- Theatre arts is a free entry and exit field.Most people in the industry have no degree in the field.
Animal Science-The course isn't marketable in a country like ours where people give no value to the life of animals.
Philosophy-This course is more valuable in the olden days where people appreciate the thinkers not in our present time.The situation of the country makes everybody a thinker to survive in this country.
Political Science:Spending years studying this course is a waste of time and resources.People are procedure conscious when it comes to politics.how many political scientists are in position of power to regulate the politics of our country.

Which course do you also think is a waste of time that you can not study as well as your family?

I have only one question for the poster:

Did Goodluck Jonathan study Government or political Science to be where he is?
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:10am On Jan 12, 2013
chineji: Botany and geophysics and microbiology and environmental biology and history and theology and religious studies and architecture

I studied Microbiology in the University and it got me my wonderful job. So, abeg, remove Microbiology from the list.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by patostation(m): 9:11am On Jan 12, 2013
The way Naija people view education and knowledge baffles me. An average Nigerian will assess the value of your education by the number of cars you ride, the number of mansions you build and the number of strings you pull. That is why an Ijebu man or an Ibo man will not allow his son to waste his time going to school. At age 7, the boy is shipped off to learn how to sell, hawk or 'hussle'. That way, he will "make it" faster.But the purpose of education is to prepare the individual for any situation, to liberate the mind, to have an idea about things beyond the individual and many more. And so an educated mind will always be different from an uneducated one. We all need to get an education whether it is in Nuclear Science or Sociology or even Psychology I don't care. If you can afford it, it's no waste of time. Actually, it is the best gift parents can bequeath to their children.

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ebucha: 9:12am On Jan 12, 2013
chineji: And besides not all engineering degree are equal civil engineers are not in demand
oh! Sorry dear. you are the most uninformed fellow here.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by temtem1(m): 9:14am On Jan 12, 2013
sociology/anthropology
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 12, 2013
jibol28: Mathematics alsm a waste of time

Did you go to a university?
Very ignorant post.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ignis: 9:16am On Jan 12, 2013
@ OP, To you it might be a waste of time, but to them it is not.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by revelvis: 9:18am On Jan 12, 2013
Gentle Naaz: Waste courses r
1. Animal n environmntal biology(AEB)
2. Plants science n botany (PSB)
3. Zoology
4. Animal sciene
5. Crop science
6. Animal production, etc
d problem is dat pepl wt d above qualifications want 2 compete wt Engineers in search of jobs in companies like NB, NBC, NNPC, Dangote cement plant, etc.
Cnt imagn my sibling studyn any of those courses
do u know wat u mentioned?professional courses,eiyah,anyway,no well known animal scientist will look 4 job in ur so kalled dangote,am an animal scientist n am a big boi,courtesy,bin an animal scientist,so sowi u will kip bin an applicant,I mean job seeker 4 d rest of ur life,u guys will jes kum 2 nairaland 2 talk n write gubberish,hw on earth will u fink any agricultural course is a waste,brother,tink again o

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Fklin(m): 9:19am On Jan 12, 2013
Idriswhite: People go to university to study a course in hope of future amelioration. However,most of the many courses that used to be hot cake in time past are whitewashed with the influx of many people who just learn the course outside university in a matter of months.Going to university to study the following courses many deem to be a waste of time.The courses are:
Computer Science-countless number of people are in the known in this field.
Theatre Arts/Music- Theatre arts is a free entry and exit field.Most people in the industry have no degree in the field.
Animal Science-The course isn't marketable in a country like ours where people give no value to the life of animals.
Philosophy-This course is more valuable in the olden days where people appreciate the thinkers not in our present time.The situation of the country makes everybody a thinker to survive in this country.
Political Science:Spending years studying this course is a waste of time and resources.People are procedure conscious when it comes to politics.how many political scientists are in position of power to regulate the politics of our country.

Which course do you also think is a waste of time that you can not study as well as your family?
....wen admission is a big problem inna we nation,Y ppl no go study anytn wey d skool gv dem...

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by OmoTier1(m): 9:19am On Jan 12, 2013
This post represent what is wrong with Nigeria and how the mindset of Nigerians have been nutured wrongly.

No study endeavour of humans to better understand their world is useless. Every degree has something to offer to the individual if S/he applies the knowledge gain rightly.

Just yesterday, crytographers made headlines by revealing how Obama's nominee for Treasury has a signature that shows the kind of person He is, somewhat imbalanced but of independent mind and what effect that would have when He uses His signature on the Dollars.

Whilst listeninng to the new article on BBC, I said to myself, if this person was to be in Nigeria She will be seen as relevant at all?
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by jarkata(m): 9:20am On Jan 12, 2013
No course can be a waste of time even make u study enzymology,botany fishry,forestry,metreology,soil science e.t.c if u go make am u go still make am.watin make ppl wey no go school atal atal dey make am,why u no go make am.acquiring a degree is just d foundation on preparedness to face challenges also, to be able to think reversibly on approching any matter and to initiate new ideas and design methodology

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Theloveth(m): 9:22am On Jan 12, 2013
No knowledge is a waste.I study computer science yet am a jack of all trades.Higher institution is just to prepare us for future and make us men.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by OmoTier1(m): 9:23am On Jan 12, 2013
homerac7: majority of respondents to this thread have spoken from the sadly narrow and confused view that's popular with Nigerians youth nowadays. For anybody that knows better, it's quite easy to believe that Nigerians are actually circa 68 points on IQ rating, just from opinion on this thread. More painful and worrisome is that most are supposed to be in or have passed through one university/higher institution of learning or another.

For those who are teachable, the problem with those courses is not themselves, but the national plan(lessness) in place. they are all vital ingredients in national development programmes, both on micro and macro scale. i know this view is still foreign to many of you, bout for a start, i will refer you to major national development projects like Project Paper Clip and Project Manhattan amongst many others for and from other nations, then you will see how these knowledges fit together to solve the very giant puzzle of projects/programmes. It is just like calling the salt or maggi cube in your kitchen a waste when it is solitary, but when you bring it together with other ingredients they make a very great meal. Even the supposedly choice courses are only part of the big circle that is ever dependent on those "smaller" ones.

I cant type for long on this. To educate undergraduates/graduates on importance of other courses is a big re-education task that shouldn't come free of charge on blogspots, if the so called graduates/undergraduate is not intelligent enough to have deciphered this in course of his/her study.

Bottom line is that it is a big circle of life there, there's a place for everybody to fit in and play his/her role. If some people are not fitting in, the the circle of life will start dying gradually because it becomes deficient from their needed contributions.
Thank you for putting on your thinking cap to educate these folks rightly.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by otipoju(m): 9:23am On Jan 12, 2013
A graduate of Religious Studies from OAU ile-ife.most of what I learnt I do not remember but I have learnt to think objectively and critically analyse issues.I learnt to look for information and filter the relevant ones for the task at hand.I learnt to make ethical decisions after cosidering the merits and demerits of all the available options.I learnt to express my ideas clearly, argue persuasively and relate to any one easily based on my knowledge of his religious belief system.This helped me a lot when I was selling retail financial products. I learnt to be receptive to new ideas a vital skill required in the dynamic industry where I am currently employed. Poster tell me which one of these skills is a waste? Any university Education trains your mind. What you chose to do with your trained mind is your choice.

2 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Lachynos2k2(m): 9:23am On Jan 12, 2013
am a livestock producer earning much more than most nairalanders..proud to be an environmental n animal biologist and this jux d begining.

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Aifey(m): 9:24am On Jan 12, 2013
4me, no blame 4him, I tink he shud hav added in nigerian perspctv. Here a zoologist is an engineer. An architect is a banker. No body talks about specialization. Just hav d connectn. Notin is workin here n nobody cares. Unlike outside nigeria.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by CohenJane: 9:24am On Jan 12, 2013
agabasam: Whenever i c d quote "no knowledge is wasted" i wonder who z decieving who....a knowledge u cant apply is wasted.............like going to d university to study dancing,really makes no sense to me...thats a natural talent...u develop it by joining groups....check all the top artist..hw many of dem attended a higher institution...and among d few dat attended,hw many studied theatre art or music......anoda of such study field is human kinetics, everydy u c dem playin futball as a form of lecture, or tennis...really funny....abeg jor.....

You got it wrong there dear, I mean at the boldened. Who told you human kinetics is all about dancing? Infact, it is actually called 'human kinetics and health education'. Wait until you have the brake out of epidemic in your area before you know their relevance. Apply to the UN with your degree in HKEE and check the outcome. (I'm not saying you'll get instant job though)

You may as well want to say Epidemiology is also a waste of time.

You see, my take on this discussion is that there is no course that is a waste of time, it is you that determines what you make of your knowledge
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Sike(m): 9:24am On Jan 12, 2013
But the OP is somehow right tho. Not all Litterate make it as educated.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by alarm4: 9:25am On Jan 12, 2013
fact:::: no course is exactly a waste of time but the condition nja economy has made tins go gaga to be worst:
but come to tink of it abt 65% of nja pple will hardly sent thier family to study a cos like
language cos
Animal cos
religious cos
but rather prefer
Engineer cos
management cos
science cos
but the fact still remain wit all this it all depend on your human developmt and capacity to focus in lifetime
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 12, 2013
CohenJane:

You got it wrong there dear, I mean at the boldened. Who told you human kinetics is all about dancing? Infact, it is actually called 'human kinetics and health education'. Wait until you have the brake out of epidemic in your area before you know their relevance. Apply to the UN with your degree in HKEE and check the outcome. (I'm not saying you'll get instant job though)

You may as well want to say Epidemiology is also a waste of time.

You see, my take on this discussion is that there is no course that is a waste of time, it is you that determines what you make of your knowledge

And how is epidemiology related to human kinetics?
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 12, 2013
Yoruba/any other Nigerian language tops the list.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Herdeoye(m): 9:28am On Jan 12, 2013
Am amazed by the way people call themselves names in here. So many of you here are educated yet you lack manners. If you don't agree with someone must you use abusive words? Anyway, i think the situation of the nigerian economy has made some courses obsolete. There is no course that is a waste of time. I have seen a yoruba graduate with a 2.2 making it in the banking industry and a mechanical engineering graduate with a 2.1 walking the streets.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 12, 2013
VETERINARY MEDICINE
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Maxlaw(m): 9:29am On Jan 12, 2013
You dnt knw wat u are saying. Architecture a waste of time? Can't just believe this.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by temtem1(m): 9:29am On Jan 12, 2013
homerac7: majority of respondents to this thread have spoken from the sadly narrow and confused view that's popular with Nigerians youth nowadays. For anybody that knows better, it's quite easy to believe that Nigerians are actually circa 68 points on IQ rating, just from opinion on this thread. More painful and worrisome is that most are supposed to be in or have passed through one university/higher institution of learning or another.

its either u dont know how to communicate ur point or u dont have one! After spewing ur rubbish and condeming others u still admitted there is a problem with those courses.....come who dash u visa to Uganda wey dey feel like......
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by revelvis: 9:29am On Jan 12, 2013
I hate kallin ppl names buh I fink I will kall u names,u r a big foool,an slowpoke,u mentioned animal science in ur article,'wif no disrespect 2 oda courses d pig mentioned' would I say it's cos of ur ignorance or wat,can u define d word'WASTE',am a proud animal scientist,so I don't tek it easy wif any fool hu talks gibberish,am sowi wifout agriculture u will not b alive naw,so beta rephrase or d wrath of d land wich agriculture is based on will fall upon u,I rest ma case 4 now
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by TonySpike: 9:30am On Jan 12, 2013

Thank you, my brother. The Nigerian society is in a dysfunctional mess, one without an appropriate environment necessary for the edification of many disciplines at the tertiary institutions. A course like Archaeology, for instance, spins a lot of cash inflow in a sane country. Personally, I think this OP is a confirmed wa.nker and re.tard. He seems to be suffering from gross under-achievement and inferiority complex!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result / Bankers' Forum / My 6 Months Experience As An Uber/bolt Driver In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.