Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,272 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

How Does Mirror Affect Infants - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Does Mirror Affect Infants (27747 Views)

**odd Question** How Does Your Language Handle Logical Statements?(repost) / How Does This "Money Charm" Work? / What's The Implication Of Looking At Yourself In The Mirror On Your Wedding Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Shagati(m): 3:17pm On Jan 17, 2013
Aren't they just adorable?

6 Likes

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by bootstrap(m): 3:20pm On Jan 17, 2013
saying this strictly from a personal point of view oh.......

i think infants are already dealing with enof in the new world they find themselves. with their limited brain functions at that age, adding a reflection of self/the environment to it, wld end up muddling things up for d infant. its like trying to teach calculus to a primary school kid. it might just end up turning the child into an slowpoke. the kid is seeing things being reflected and all.... smfin might just snap upstairs and .................

Also, the kid need to see d world as it is first, and not the reflection of it, which is usually inverted.

5 Likes

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Jhulyan(m): 3:21pm On Jan 17, 2013
Odunnu:

What are you saying? And somebody likes your post!
I wonder
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by materna(f): 3:22pm On Jan 17, 2013
i laughed till my ribs started aching.but seriously i get skeptical when my 2months old Baby is taken to the mirror but like my mother use to say......omoJESU ko le wo.meaning no taboo for a true believer cos the Blood of JESUS availeth for us. shekena.

1 Like

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Sagytarius(m): 3:29pm On Jan 17, 2013
bootstrap: saying this strictly from a personal point of view oh.......

i think infants are already dealing with enof in the new world they find themselves. with their limited brain functions at that age, adding a reflection of self/the environment to it, wld end up muddling things up for d infant. its like trying to teach calculus to a primary school kid. it might just end up turning the child into an slowpoke. the kid is seeing things being reflected and all.... smfin might just snap upstairs and .................

Also, the kid need to see d world as it is first, and not the reflection of it, which is usually inverted.
reasonable. I like.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Lawconfessor(f): 3:36pm On Jan 17, 2013
chucky234: This is certainly the joke of the year........
CERTAINLY
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by enigmagu1(m): 3:38pm On Jan 17, 2013
Odunnu:

hahahahahahahaha some ppl no d read post bfo dem like.... i no de suprise.. .for facebook dem go say 1000 ppl die for motor crash...go down d page u go c 700 ppl like this....una d like death
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by ITbomb(m): 3:39pm On Jan 17, 2013
I got this back then.
When a baby sees the reflection, he/she is instantly attracted to it but sees it as a different person. From that moment the baby will be looking for that 'friend' that he/she saw and may sometimes cry unnecessarily when he need he/she want to see the 'friend' again.
Whereas the mother would not understand why the baby is crying.
#YOUAREFREETOQUOTEME

5 Likes

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:42pm On Jan 17, 2013
Odunnu:

I wonder ohhh! some mothers need to be on a watch-list angry. infants don't know jack, a cognitive factor is established when a child learns to know that the reflection in the mirror is actually his/herself. a little younger and they will expect it to be another person on the other-side. (not the other-side proper ooh)

Mirrors to infant can only cause wonder and perhaps accelerate cognitive capacities earlier than usual.. so what is bad in getting bright a little earlier than your peers

1 Like

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Obinoscopy(m): 3:44pm On Jan 17, 2013

Well said bro. There was a time I innocently showed a mirror to an infant and he became scared of what he saw. It was after that imcident that I learnt of this myth you guys are talking about.

Aside scaring and confusing the child, mirror could also injure the child. Thus they should be kept away from the child as much as possible.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 17, 2013
kristikat: they should not know themselves,
until the time is right........
babies are usually ADULT SPIRITS coming from heaven to live here,
and experience this reality,
if they see themselves too soon,
they may fail in accomplishing what it is they came to do here,
since they must first come here on a clean slate,
or think this life is the only life there is to live,
knowledge of them coming from some place else,
may totally confuse them,
and maybe make them forget why they came here...
since they come here with a specific mission erasing all other memories,
only with the purpose in mind.....

Na wa ooo
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 17, 2013
Shagati: Aren't they just adorable?

awww! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Ignatio(m): 3:51pm On Jan 17, 2013
Fact or Fiction? More explanations needed
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by albacete(m): 3:52pm On Jan 17, 2013
@Shagati: that explanation is a lot better
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by batstan(m): 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2013

Gbammmm! Most naija leaders were shown the mirror at infancy......r.etards, i no call name ooo
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by megareal: 4:15pm On Jan 17, 2013
This is the first time I'm learning of this myth. I show babies the mirror all the time. Never gotten any negative reaction from them either. African life is so steeped in superstition, I do away with them as much as possible.

2 Likes

Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by victorDvince: 4:15pm On Jan 17, 2013
Odunnu:

Hey,y did u instruct me to stop posting speech presentation trainings on education forum. Isn't diction an aspect of education. as regards the topic,every comment that condemns infants 4rm sighting the mirror are superstitions. I will comment that mirror can't literally affect a child in any ways,infants ain't gat convictions n fears unless u inflict fears into them thr catching they attention with ugly things and the likes.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by flawless911(m): 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2013
batstan: Gbammmm! Most naija leaders were shown the mirror at infancy......r.etards, i no call name ooo
GBAMMM cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 17, 2013
Thanks Op for this post, this thing has being on my mind for sometime now too ...with the lack of any logical explanation here, i take it that it is mere superstition
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Tee13(f): 4:25pm On Jan 17, 2013
I am aware of such belief and to me, its superstition because i used to show my baby mirror when he was very young and he enjoyed it. Even while creeping, he would sit beside the wall mirror singing and smiling.

He is a big boy now, still enjoys admiring himself on the mirror.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by maingwaest(f): 4:32pm On Jan 17, 2013
Plarp: ^ to eat, poop, and suck teat?
FOOL !!
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by dridowu: 4:34pm On Jan 17, 2013
Hmmmm , 1st tme of hearing ds type of superstory, i nid to ds follow ds topics to get d fact
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by mikedaniel76gmailcom(m): 4:46pm On Jan 17, 2013
kristikat: they should not know themselves,
until the time is right........
babies are usually ADULT SPIRITS coming from heaven to live here,
and experience this reality,
if they see themselves too soon,
they may fail in accomplishing what it is they came to do here,
since they must first come here on a clean slate,
or think this life is the only life there is to live,
knowledge of them coming from some place else,
may totally confuse them,
and maybe make them forget why they came here...
since they come here with a specific mission erasing all other memories,
only with the purpose in mind.....
. All na wash.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by repogirl(f): 4:47pm On Jan 17, 2013
dick hardener: what are these supposed rays emitting from the mirror called?

Mirror rays na! grin
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:13pm On Jan 17, 2013
Obinoscopy:

Well said bro. There was a time I innocently showed a mirror to an infant and he became scared of what he saw. It was after that imcident that I learnt of this myth you guys are talking about.

Aside scaring and confusing the child, mirror could also injure the child. Thus they should be kept away from the child as much as possible.
no be curse, that infant must be damn fugly to be scared of his reflection grin grin grin grin
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by spikesC(m): 5:16pm On Jan 17, 2013
Mirror Myth

Do not let a baby under 4 months look at the mirror.
Reason: The outcome is the child will be very good at telling lies later.

I did not believe this and like all new parents who think that western practices are better at helping the child develop faster I let Marie look at the mirror every day before she was 4 months old.
Marie is a professional liar from 3 years old and even today (she is 10 now) I sometimes still cannot believe everything she tells me. This sometimes put a strain on our relationship and I honestly wished I had taken heed of this old wives tale.

source: http://www.babiesconsult.com/oldwivestales/mirror-myth

hehehe grin
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by skfa1: 5:21pm On Jan 17, 2013
@ Ahmedie25

The ray is called light ray or superstition lol
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Oahray: 5:22pm On Jan 17, 2013
dick hardener: what are these supposed rays emitting from the mirror called?
Oahrays grin grin grin
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by holyvirgin: 5:22pm On Jan 17, 2013
I was told that it makes them have a bad dream at night don't knw how true the tale is.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by filia4real(m): 6:19pm On Jan 17, 2013
D baby may grow up loving only her face.
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by khanivorous(f): 6:20pm On Jan 17, 2013
Jewish TORAH and the legend of LILITH

Long story but embedded in the early life of adam and the 1st wife lilith( that escaped the curse of mortality)

Mirror serves as a portal for her to claim the male child +n the 8th day and female on 28th day from birth

Same reason mothers tend to strike their child when the infant baby suddenly laughs in its/his/her sleep...

Just an ancient kaballah tradition
Re: How Does Mirror Affect Infants by Javatar(m): 7:16pm On Jan 17, 2013
I have never heard about this rubbish superstition (yes that's what i believe it is) and d fact dat there are so many different 'explanations' just further convinces me dat its hogwash. My baby and i love looking at our reflections in the mirror........and we intend to continue. Rubbish!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Dangote And Paddy Adenuga Meet In Lagos / Ooni Of Ife Shuts Palace Over Coronavirus, Suspends Traditional Activities / How Do You Translate this specific Body Parts In Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.