Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened (20360 Views)

Onitsha Shopping Mall Commissioned By Obiano - Photos / Weekly Price List Of Game, The Palms Shopping Mall, Lekki / Tayo Amusan Now Has Full Ownership Of The Palms Shopping Mall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Constantin: 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2006
Nigeria: Obasanjo Commissions Palms Mall, Says Govt Will Introduce Credit Cards

Vanguard (Lagos)

April 21, 2006
Posted to the web April 21, 2006

Franklin Alli
Lagos

PRESIDENT Olusegun Obasanjo says the Federal Government will soon introduce a new economic reform policy that will transit the country from cash to credit card economy, even as Former Heads of State, Gen. Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, Chairman of Transcorp, Mr. Fola Adeola, President/ CEO, Dangote Groups, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, graced The Palms Mall commissioning ceremony.

Other dignitaries on the roll call were MD/CEO, Zenon Oil, Femi Otedola, Chairman of PPPRA, Rasheed Gbadamosi, Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Femi Pedro, and the Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, among others.

Speaking off-handedly after he has formally declared open The Palms Mall, a shopping and entertainment Centre situated on the Lekki Expressway way, Victoria Island Lagos, President Obasanjo, while commending owners of the Property (Persians Properties Ltd, a joint venture between Actis UK, and Tayo Amusan, a Nigerian property developer), said apart from the ongoing or concluded reforms in the economy like the Pension, Ports, Banking, NEEDS reforms, etc, very soon the economy will be transformed from cash to credit card economy.

Said he: "Very soon, we are going to have consumer credit card. With it, Nigerians won't be carrying money in "Ghana must Go" bags. All they need to do is to use their credit card for transactions where they go. When that happens that will be another feather to our cap."

While urging owners of the facility to establish more of this across the country, Obasanjo noted that the project was dividend of democracy and economic reforms.

He, therefore, called on Nigerians, home and in diaspora for support to sustain democracy and the ongoing reforms programme by the government.

Speaking, Managing Partner Africa, Actis, Dr. Nkosana Moyo, noted that the mandate of Actis is to promote economic development in emerging markets, especially in Africa.

The company, he said, invests globally in many emerging markets, however, it is most active in Africa, China, Malaysia and South Asia. The company invests and manages capital on behalf of over 70 investors, and currently has about US$2.7 billion of funds under management.

He urged Nigerian businessmen in different sectors of the economy like Real Estate, Oil and Gas, Mining, Manufacturing, etc, to think about partnering with Actis.

"We will do for you what we have been able to do for Tayo in bringing this project to completion," he assured.

Tayo, in an address, stated that the project, which cost about US$5O million (equivalent to N6.8 billion), has created employment for more than 500 Nigerians, and 5,000 jobs indirectly.

Located on a 44,000m2 site, the Palms is predominantly a single storey structure, with off-road parking for approximately 720 vehicles. It is the first and largest centre of its kind in Nigeria and is on par with similar shopping centres anywhere in the world.

The mall provides a mix of merchandise, fashion, services, health, food, sports, IT and interior decorations stores that are very much top of the line.

With a capacity to accommodate about 62 shops and cinemas, the shopping centre is now home to some of South Africa's largest retailers - Shoprite, a grocery store of huge proportions selling fresh foods and household goods and Game, a subsidiary of Massmart, a discount retail chain that offers customers products ranging from household electronics to jewelry and beauty products.

Also at the mall are Nu Metro which comprises a six screen cinema complex and a multimedia store for books, magazines, DVDs and music; Montaigne Place, owners of the Clarins franchise in Nigeria, Twice as Nice, a shirt and accessories shop, Konica photo shop, a digital studio and Wrangler, a casual clothing outlet.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200604210148.html

PS: AS I AM NOT LIVING IN NIGERIA (Diaspora Nigerian) I would just love to see some photos of the place. Has anybody been to this place? How´s it like? Ca anyone post some pictures so that we Nigerians currently abroad can also see the development. Please do so.
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by LoverBwoy(m): 2:20pm On Apr 28, 2006
can anyone help us with some LIVE pictures? grin

got this

http://www.thepalmsshopping.com/
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by larger20(m): 1:10pm On May 01, 2006
nice
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Rolly: 3:04pm On May 01, 2006
this is wonderful!!!!!!!! i'm so happy for nigeria o!!!!!!!!

this is nice o!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Saddam: 4:10pm On May 01, 2006
Hey

I would try get some live pix as soon as I go out today

Finally I was driving while I took these snap shoots attached

Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Babybee(f): 8:11pm On May 01, 2006
That is a very good one.I can't believe that can ever happen in nigeria, whao,that's promising. I hope that won't be the end. Good start
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by gidig(m): 8:33pm On May 01, 2006
@ babybee.
It definitely won't be the end.I think it is the new trend now.There is a smaller mall opposite the MUSON too. Not as big as this but I also read that the guys behind this are thinking of building more.

A lot of things are changing about Nigeria cos business people are now being allowed to take charge of things. A few years ago,this kind of project will be driven by the government.Today, young and not so young Nigerians are reshaping the economy in a vital way.
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Babybee(f): 8:58pm On May 01, 2006
i really pray it won't be. Tell me, you know that second picture, is it the picture of the place or somewhere else? It looks too good to be true.
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Saddam: 12:25am On May 02, 2006
In Lagos right now,

We got Lots of Nice Malls

City mall at onikan, Close 2 muson center,

The Palms Mall Along Lekki Expressway

Cannan Mall Along Lekki Expressway

Then We Got Wool worths Plaza.

I will get the live pics of all these Places ,When ever am free, passing by.
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by larger20(m): 2:19am On May 02, 2006
Saddam:

In Lagos right now,

We got Lots of Nice Malls

City mall at onikan, Close 2 muson center,

The Palms Mall Along Lekki Expressway

Cannan Mall Along Lekki Expressway

Then We Got Wool worths Plaza.

I will get the live pics of all these Places ,When ever am free, passing by.

where are their websites? I want to go home now, undecided
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Babybee(f): 10:19am On May 02, 2006
cant really wait for those pictures.
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by disney(f): 1:53pm On May 02, 2006
That tight for naija o,

But seems to me like they got the name from rite aid in america.lol grin grin grin
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by lauryn(f): 3:27pm On May 02, 2006
Love it!. Gotta go see it on my next visit to nigeria.
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Constantin: 3:55pm On May 02, 2006
I am yearning to see more pics, please! cheesy smiley
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by obong(m): 10:46pm On May 02, 2006
That tight for naija o,

But seems to me like they got the name from rite aid in america.lol Grin Grin Grin

its a south african company, not nigerian,. i hope at some point we can develop our own brands
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Constantin: 10:56am On May 03, 2006
By the way, has anybody noticed that cute little "bonjour" store at Total´s filling station. It is cool and I like it. The days of shabby filling stations are gone. Hurrahhh!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Eastcoast(f): 11:42am On May 03, 2006
wow. smiley
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by LoverBwoy(m): 1:39pm On May 03, 2006
Saddam thanx for the pics

what about a some live pics of the products grin and maybe take a quick tour inside wink

with ur camera
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by mrslickk(m): 2:05pm On May 03, 2006
Nice development, an ultramodern shopping mall in lagos can do lots for the local economy. I doubt though that young people and working class nigerians will be spending much time there though, especially with high unemployment rate and other negative economical factors which I don't need to get into right now.

The whole point of a shopping mall is to promote economical and social activity in a given neighbourhood/community and it looks like that shopping mall was put there not for all the right reasons. afterall there's nothing wrong with the markets already in place in lagos and other parts of naija, (read ariaria, onisha international market etc). As long as its accessible to all nigerians and nigerian traders/businessmen its cool, otherwise i'm not bothered.

O ga di mma, (thats a promise)
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Chxta(m): 5:31pm On May 03, 2006
The generator was badly positioned. Causing the paint to black already,
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 1:30am On Sep 25, 2006
Inside, I think

Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 3:28am On Sep 25, 2006
got this

hey constantin are you mathiaas

Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 6:25am On Sep 25, 2006
nicked this pic of someones set

Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 6:38am On Sep 25, 2006
also got these

Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 6:39am On Sep 25, 2006
and,

Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 10:18am On Oct 08, 2006
Some more Pictures

Day time

Night Time
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Babybee(f): 5:02pm On Oct 08, 2006
those pics are really nice. Thanks
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 7:30am On Feb 11, 2007
I have created a wikipdia article on the Palms Shopping Centre wink ;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palms_Shopping_Mall

I'll create and update more articles on Nigerian Retail faclites and across the whole of Africa cheesy
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by LoverBwoy(m): 2:33am On Feb 12, 2007
hmm impressive cool
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 9:44am On Mar 17, 2007
Inside the place

Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by dblock(m): 9:46am On Mar 17, 2007
And--
Re: The Palms Shopping Mall Has Finally Opened by Ndipe(m): 5:15am On Mar 22, 2007
After viewing those pics, you'd think those are shopping malls based in America.

Nigeria is going places.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wooden Bridge At New Alade Market Scares Customers Away / Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences / Jim Yong Kim Resigns As World Bank President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.